Author Topic: Hire a professional party planner for your pet  (Read 6475 times)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
Hire a professional party planner for your pet
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:39:47 PM »
Or, "Angie's List Jumps the Shark."

The San Jose edition of Angie's List for August has an article about planning a "pawty" for your pet. (Sorry, no link. I'll type in the juicy parts.)
Edit: Found the link.  http://www.angieslist.com/articles/pet-party-planning-how-throw-purrfect-bash.htm

Canine Cabana in Riverview Florida hosts 2 to 3 birthday parties a month for clients. For $195, staff invite up to 15 dogs.

Staff invite? For $195, the dog can't choose his own guests?

Member Cathy Kimmel says it's a price she was willing to pay for her dog, Abby-Renae.  . . . "Knowing my dog was treated like the princess she is was so special," Kimmel says

You can tell she's a princess by the hyphenated name.

. . . adding that the other pet owners even brought gifts for Abby-Renae.

Well, naturally. Etiquette says you don't attend a birthday party without a gift.

The most elaborate event that [party planner] Robinson planned cost around $3,000 and featured a pink leopard-print party theme for a bulldog names Pickles. She decorated tables in leopard prints with hot pink fur . . . [Pickles' owner] ordered a custom leopard dress with a pink tutu for Pickles and made sure she dressed in the theme pattern as well. 

Pickles loves pink.

I have a cat, and I have no problem with people who want to give lots of love and goodies to their pets, whether it's fancy snacks or doggie daycare. But really--dressing your dog like a cat, only in a color no cat has ever been, and making it wear a tutu? For $3K?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:56:13 PM by NoraLenderbee »

Mustache Fatty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Hire a professional party planner for your pet
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:09:53 PM »
This is probably a satirical article.  Although it does have a ring of truth so maybe not.  I don't know what to say at this point.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »
Staff invite? For $195, the dog can't choose his own guests?

Think of it as a butt buffet for your dog. Buttfet, if you will.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:13:14 PM »
I hope this is satire. I love my 4 dogs & spoil them rotten but this type of thing would be for the people not the animals.  I did have a friend that did an awesome fundraiser for rescue dogs. She & a friend bought wedding outfits & married their dogs in a ceremony & then had a reception.  Guests were expected to donate to the cause.  She raised a lot of $ for a good cause and she & her friend donated all the food, drink, etc.  I copied the idea & invited all our friends to a meal at our house, they could bring their dogs if they wanted and they knew in advance they were expected to donate to my dog rescue group. I raised more $ then I spent on the party..

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »
Why do they call it a "purrfect bash" if they only apply to dogs? Those of the canine persuasion might enjoy such a soiree, but I can only imagine the ensuing fiasco by bringing a bunch of strange cats together (much less the bloodshed incurred by strapping a tutu on the birthday girl (or boy!!) . Hell, our two cats don't even like each other.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »
This has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.  What a waste of $!  So many animals need homes & that $ could do a lot of good for rescue organizations. 

Doomspark

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 04:22:13 PM »
*picks jaw up off the floor*

We have cats, not dogs.  They're part of the family, etc.  But we don't celebrate their birthdays except for making a note on the calendar that it's time for annual vet check.

This ... is ... insane.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 08:23:06 AM »
This reminds me of a meme that always makes me giggle:

Lady on the phone to her friend: "No I can't come to your dog's birthday party you freak, My cat is getting married that day!"

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »
Must never let my spoiled cats see this thread.  I would never hear the end of it.

kittenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "I ain't rich, but Lord, I'm free"
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
My tuxedo cat turned 10 this month.
Celebrated with 2 cans of Fancy Feast and a new catnip toy.
Cost: apx $3.
Kitty had a blast!

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »
SO and I have a couple we double date with who had a pawty with two different planners working together last year. Must've cost 2 grand. It was ridiculous.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 05:59:27 PM »
My dog's birthday is this month.  I am not taking notes - she will be happy with extra dried liver, maybe some other food goody.  And she deserves it - she is a wonderful therapy dog, she brings joy to many.  Hmm, we usually visit on the day her birthday is on, maybe I should let them know.  They can throw her a party!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »
My dog's birthday is this month.  I am not taking notes - she will be happy with extra dried liver, maybe some other food goody.  And she deserves it - she is a wonderful therapy dog, she brings joy to many.  Hmm, we usually visit on the day her birthday is on, maybe I should let them know.  They can throw her a party!

ha! that would be so cute!

we make our dog a peanut butter cake with cream cheese carob frosting out of the Three Dog Bakery cookbook. then we bring it to our weekly running group where it is shared with the other dogs. (our other dog hasn't had a birthday yet.) I seriously thought we were borderline insane for even doing that much... re. the article, I really have no words.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!