Author Topic: High school reunion hilarity  (Read 13099 times)

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
High school reunion hilarity
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:24:32 PM »
So I went to my SO's 10 year reunion the other day. We grew up in the same town so while I didn't go to the same high school I remember most of the people there...as did they me.

So all is good and well until I see "him". The one who used to brag (as a 12 year old) that he wouldn't wear a shirt if it cost less than $60. Or his parents "house in the hamptons" (no physical evidence of such house existing). Or any other silly thing I could think of.

So anyway I know that this kid has leased a Mercedes ML SUV (at least a 55k car) from his Facebook. Super into status.  So...he finally sees me...walks up to me...and says AND I QUOTE.

"Oh hi I want you to meet my fiancé. Yea we're looking for a place to buy but YOU CANT FIND ANYTHING DECENT FOR UNDER 3 MILLION THESE DAYS."

He lives with his parents still.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: High school reunion hilarity
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
Ah 10 year reunions.  I didn't attend mine, I have to admit.

I attended #20 and #25 though.  By then, especially #25, everyone was pretty much over themselves - laid back, normal.  Some trim and gorgeous, some chubby and balding, but nobody was a snob.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 02:32:44 PM »
that's over the top!

It's been 10 minutes and I still can't think of an appropriate comeback.

What did you reply?

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »
I was fortunately drunk enough to make an awkward exit and not drunk enough to tell him to go f himself. I think I actually said something like "yea I know it's tough to find something you like!" Then just said kind of mozzyed away.

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 07:24:21 PM »
Ah 10 year reunions.  I didn't attend mine, I have to admit.

I attended #20 and #25 though.  By then, especially #25, everyone was pretty much over themselves - laid back, normal.  Some trim and gorgeous, some chubby and balding, but nobody was a snob.

I haven't hit my 10 year yet, but I'm planning on skipping it. I'll probably go to #25 at least. Don't know about 20 yet.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:03:58 PM »
I didn't go to my 10 year reunion, but I might go to my 25 year when it comes around.  Most of my classmates looked down on me in high school because my family was so poor.  Now I'm Facebook friends with many of them and they seem to have settled down and gotten over themselves.  It's funny how people change as they grow older and (usually) mature.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 12:42:52 AM »
Most of my classmates looked down on me in high school because my family was so poor.  Now I'm Facebook friends with many of them...

This boggles me. Did you become friends in real life with them, or just on Facebook? I've received a number of friend requests from former classmates; my rule, if we weren't friends, I'd deny.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 04:05:40 AM »
Sell that dude your home for $1 million.  Everybody wins.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 07:07:11 AM »
Wow.

$3 million?  Good gravy... do all the $2 million houses of 7,000+ square feet and a pool have tacky marble in the butler's pantry?

I skipped my 10 year reunion.  They were charging $75 per person to attend the event.  Add that on top of the travel costs to get back town? Pass... I can see what's happening with people for free on Facebook and it comes with the ability to completely ignore the really status obsessed ones.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »
Most of my classmates looked down on me in high school because my family was so poor.  Now I'm Facebook friends with many of them...

This boggles me. Did you become friends in real life with them, or just on Facebook? I've received a number of friend requests from former classmates; my rule, if we weren't friends, I'd deny.

I'm just friends with them on Facebook.  I started out accepting their friend requests, because I wanted them to see how well I was doing.  Kind of like flipping them the bird.  But it turned out that most of them became decent people and I actually have good relationships with some of them, so I kept them around.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 02:07:28 PM »

I skipped my 10 year reunion.  They were charging $75 per person to attend the event.  Add that on top of the travel costs to get back town? Pass... I can see what's happening with people for free on Facebook and it comes with the ability to completely ignore the really status obsessed ones.

Were implying that they were just going to pocket the admission fee or if you found the cost a dealbreaker?

My ten year anniversary is this spring and I don't have any desire to go. I don't live that far from where I went to school but don't care enough. The people I care about from high school are the ones I still talk to, Facebook provides me with enough knowledge to know who married who, and I don't really care about impressing anyone that I didn't talk to in high school. And of course, I imagine admission will be around the same as yours, and for me I don't think I would get that level of value in going to justify the expense.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 02:15:49 PM »
I teach at my old high school and was responsible for organizing our 25th last year.

It was a blast.  No one was snobby and we just had a great time.

Aging can be a really good thing.

I wonder if the dude who wants a $3M house will still be saving for the down payment by your 25th.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »
Just did some zillowin 2-3million.

Rich* people have fucking terrible taste.

(* Where rich == wanting to buy a 3 million dollar house.)

That said, here is an awesome (in a way) 30 thousand square foot mansion from the gilded age for 2 million. Enough septic for 100 full-time residents!

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »

Were implying that they were just going to pocket the admission fee or if you found the cost a dealbreaker?

The latter.  I have no interest in paying $75 and then the costs to travel back into town.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »
My 10-year was 4 years ago, I didn't go.
I wanted to - really did, and my parents live driving distance from there, so getting back to town and having a place to stay would not have been a problem.
The problem was when the "leaders" - same class president, etc, that took charge of organizing the reunion, decided to hire a buddy's company to "host" the event, light catering, etc. So instead of $25-50 per ticket to cover the venue and DJ, it ballooned to $175 per ticket that included 1(!!) glass of champagne and some hors d'ouvres (I'd need to eat dinner beforehand), and provided a cash(!!) bar onsite. So getting a decent buzz going with my taste in fine whiskey, + uber ride there and back would set me back $300 to attend the event. Plus $~300 in plane tickets (ok, I'd get to see my parents yet again, but still!!)
This wasn't a snooty new-england prep school reunion, it was a high school in the suburbs of Sacramento, CA.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »
$175 a ticket and only 1 glass of champagne included?!?

Wow... and I was annoyed by the $75 a ticket.  How many people went?

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »

Well, I heard from someone who heard from someone who heard from someone who went - about 80.
Our graduating class was 900.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 12:08:51 PM »
This wasn't a snooty new-england prep school reunion, it was a high school in the suburbs of Sacramento, CA.

I went to a snooty new-england prep school, the kind where tuition is about as much as for any private university. (Token poor kid with scholarships, woo!)

Our reunions are free. And they are excellent. With free food and liquor.

Because if there's one thing a snooty new england prep school has, it's money. And if there's one thing it wants, it's happy alumni who will donate more money. (Yes, I donated a few bucks when I visited; I was still in college so it wasn't much. Now I'm done with school but also too far away to go to the normal reunions. Of course, they also have local reunions in major cities which are, you guessed it, also free; it's a great way for folks to show off success by hosting a free reunion at their personal art gallery or ferrari dealership or whatever.)

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »
I teach at my old high school and was responsible for organizing our 25th last year.

It was a blast.  No one was snobby and we just had a great time.

Aging can be a really good thing.

I wonder if the dude who wants a $3M house will still be saving for the down payment by your 25th.

I'm guessing the answer will depend on whether his parents are still alive. :)

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 05:59:35 PM »
I would have said, "Wait..aren't you that douchebag who lives in his parent's basement?"

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 08:34:07 AM »
I would have said, "Wait..aren't you that douchebag who lives in his parent's basement?"

This.

SporeSpawn

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »
I'm going to assume his definition of a "decent house" is "costs roughly 3 million."

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 10:48:32 AM »
I'm going to assume his definition of a "decent house" is "costs roughly 3 million."

The town I live in currently (where I rent a 1 br apartment) literally has railroad tracks.  On one side it is lower-middle class/working class, on the other side it is multi-million dollar beautiful historic homes.  Even then, when I look at Trulia, there are only 2 homes that are priced over $3 million--and they are like 15 bedroom 12 bathroom ridiculous homes with historic value.  Soooo... I challenge him to even find enough homes to look at in that range.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 11:12:41 AM »
Where do you live?  I mean $3 mil is going to be a pretty nice house anywhere, but how much it buys could vary.  If you are in NYC, I imagine $3 mil would get you nice but not insane.  Here in Nashville, you would pretty much have to be buying Alan Jackson's mansion to spend that much.  OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration.  I believe he sold his house a while back for a lot more than that.  You might have to settle for one of the lesser-known country stars.  But still, it's gonna be a really really nice house if you spend that much.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 12:45:13 PM »

My ten year anniversary is this spring and I don't have any desire to go. I don't live that far from where I went to school but don't care enough. The people I care about from high school are the ones I still talk to, Facebook provides me with enough knowledge to know who married who, and I don't really care about impressing anyone that I didn't talk to in high school. And of course, I imagine admission will be around the same as yours, and for me I don't think I would get that level of value in going to justify the expense.

My wife and I went to ours (same high school) but mostly because one of our best friends was our class president and is stuck planning all of these things. I would have rathered my group of friendsget a few cases of beer and hang out at someones house. Would have had a better time and spent less money. Plus I was the DD so that didn't help.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 01:05:25 PM »
Our 10 yr was planned by a guy that got his undies in a wad about something and then quit planning it late in the game.  So we met at a covered pavilion at a lake. BYOB and grilling implements, no charge.  My friends were there and I got to see a few people that I like but don't keep up with so all was well by me.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 10:27:34 AM »
Where do you live?  I mean $3 mil is going to be a pretty nice house anywhere, but how much it buys could vary.  If you are in NYC, I imagine $3 mil would get you nice but not insane.  Here in Nashville, you would pretty much have to be buying Alan Jackson's mansion to spend that much.  OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration.  I believe he sold his house a while back for a lot more than that.  You might have to settle for one of the lesser-known country stars.  But still, it's gonna be a really really nice house if you spend that much.

I live in northern nj.  For example, this 12 bathroom monstrocity about 3/4 a mile from me costs a hair under $5 million

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 08:13:28 PM »
I've never had a desire to attend any of my reunions.

But this year was my 30th and I was tempted to show up...

"So vern, what do you do for a living?"

"Oh, I'm retired."

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »

I went to a snooty new-england prep school, the kind where tuition is about as much as for any private university. (Token poor kid with scholarships, woo!)

Our reunions are free. And they are excellent. With free food and liquor.

Because if there's one thing a snooty new england prep school has, it's money. And if there's one thing it wants, it's happy alumni who will donate more money. (Yes, I donated a few bucks when I visited; I was still in college so it wasn't much. Now I'm done with school but also too far away to go to the normal reunions. Of course, they also have local reunions in major cities which are, you guessed it, also free; it's a great way for folks to show off success by hosting a free reunion at their personal art gallery or ferrari dealership or whatever.)

Hmm, now there is a public school fundraising idea...  They can organize reunions with a reasonable ticket fee.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 10:05:45 AM »

Well, I heard from someone who heard from someone who heard from someone who went - about 80.
Our graduating class was 900.

Which high school?  I graduated from Highlands in '98 with a class of around 200 or so.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
I went to my 10 year. I was the one who got just drunk enough to say the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, but not drunk enough to do or say anything I'd really regret. Apparently, I caused a lot of amusement and embarrassment, depending on who you asked.

Of course, all the people I embarrassed really deserved it for how they treated the uncool kids in HS. Overall, no regrets and had a great time. As for future events, we'll see.