Author Topic: High-end fake household appliances for kids!  (Read 5718 times)

keith

• Bristles
High-end fake household appliances for kids!
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/pink-retro-kitchen-collection/

High-quality fake appliances as toys. You can buy real appliances off craigslist for these prices, hahaha.

Besides the linked item above, you can also get a fake washer & dryer set as well.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
Re: High-end fake household appliances for kids!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:15:04 PM »
Interesting.  I've been getting their catalog in the mail* occasionally, though I never looked at it - figured it's just pottery, no?

*Addressed to the previous owner of my house.  Bought the place about 15 years ago, and she's been dead for at least six years.  Old mailing lists never die...

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »
Those are adorable! I love them and wish they came in the real thing. But not at prices like that.
I had a playhouse as a child but it was an actual little cottage my dad hauled home for free. I had to imagine that there were kitchen facilities and furniture. Imagination, what a concept.
That being said, my kids have a little Step 2 play kitchenette. Bought it for $10 at Goodwill. The last time I checked, toys were for kids to play with, not to satisfy style sensibilities. :/ Our Step 2 kitchen is ugly but the kids like to play with it and it's in their room so I don't have to see it all the time.
If avoiding an eyesore is really that important, it's not all that difficult to make a little kitchenette yourself. Many people make them from changing tables which are super cheap to acquire used: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/before-amp-after-changing-tabl-158107

RoseRelish

• Stubble
    • RoseRelish - Slow down and Enjoy Life
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:57 AM »
Nice!

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »
OMG.... $700 for a kitchen set that doesn't work! My sister in law gave my a pottery barn gift card for $50.00 a few years back. She either doesn't know anything about me or my wife or she was giving us the middle finger as politely as possible. Funny how her and her husband needs to "borrow" money from her parents and we never have to.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »
We started getting pottery barn kids catalogs a few years ago.  Oh how I love the put together rooms on the pages of the catalog, but seriously, the prices for their poor quality is amazing.   How do they get away with it? They sell an image.  I took my daughter to the store when she was around 4.  She really enjoyed it.  It's a great place to entertain kids because all those high end toys are out.  Just think, they can get bored with the fridge in 5 minutes like all their other toys without even needing to bring it home!  LOL! 

We got about $300 worth of gift cards to the pottery barn for our wedding many years ago.  We must have done 10 laps around the store and still found nothing.  Finally, someone mentioned that we could use it at Williams-Sonoma.  We couldn't get out fast enough. 

EngGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:27:28 AM »
I hate pottery barn and pottery barn kids with a passion. Maybe it's because I'm an engineer but I tend to put function WAAAAY before aesthetics.

Way to teach your kids to snuggle up to a nice life of enslavement at the hands of consumer credit. Why not teach them how to ACTUALLY cook in a REAL kitchen instead!

twinge

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 07:35:41 AM »
Way to teach your kids to snuggle up to a nice life of enslavement at the hands of consumer credit. Why not teach them how to ACTUALLY cook in a REAL kitchen instead!

Play kitchens are a great toy for kids to practice and play out adult roles-- in addition to teaching them how to cook for real.  But I find elaborate ones limit possibilities rather than expand them.  We had a set-up where we just put up a  plain wood plank as a shelf on a wall in our kitchen (we had a little nook)--attached some knobs from an old dresser to its front ledge and contact papered some circles onto it for "burners."  When toddler/preschool help was in the way/not safe while I was cooking something, I would just hand my kids some measuring cups and the smallest sauce pan and some random utensil to play with and they often mimicked my actions adeptly. But that same shelf was readily turned into a prop for other things as kids wanted it (e.g., a chair pulled up to it and it became the driver's seat for train/bus; a cardboard box under it and it became the controls on various "scientific" devices they made up like machines to make you invisible, transport, go into outerspace etc. ).  And it also turned into just a drawing/writing nook on command too.  And it was never in the way or was outgrown (it can hold cookbooks for me too as needed!)

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 08:22:50 AM »
http://catalogliving.net

You all should check out this website. It's this woman who basically makes fun of catalogs with funny captions. It's hilarious.