Author Topic: Help save my father!  (Read 6651 times)

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
Help save my father!
« on: December 28, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »
Ok my father is actually fine, but the women he is dating is the pure opposite of mustachianism.  Me and him have already had the "She is cute, have your fun, but marriage/living together will never happen" discussion.  I thought you guys would enjoy the comedy as much as I do.

She has had 5 jobs in the past 2 years(she finds them all on craigslist).  Her most recent job paid the equivalent of 65k a year.  She went in to that job knowing it might be temporary; they would be reevaluating whether it would become a permament position after 3 months.  So what did she do?  She bought a BMW and rented a 2k/month apartment!  Also already has a $200/month cell phone bill(she is still paying for her two kids in their late 20s). 

Job lasted 3 months....  She is fine, you would never guess something was wrong.  Well unless you knew she is constantly trying to get my dad to bail her out.

Her credit is already shot(APR on the BMW was around 20%), and apparently that is because this is just the normal cycle of life for her.  Spend way more than she makes even when the income isn't even very secure, and whatever happens happens. 

I was really worried about my dad, but apparently she told him they should get married and she should move in with him.  When he said that didn't really make sense she suggested he get her a CZ engagement ring.  He then told her it had nothing to do with being able to afford a ring, it just wasn't happening.  Whew.... now I get to laugh about it!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
Re: Help save my father!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 11:04:32 AM »
SO sad, glad your dad isn't persuaded by her

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 11:23:12 AM »
In the next thrilling installment of this serial drama, the financially unstable woman pining for a man to bail her out will realize her current fish isn't biting.  She cuts her losses and moves on to the next vulnerable schmuck willing to trade his financial security for her artificial affection. 

Love should not be for sale.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »
I was really worried about my dad, but apparently she told him they should get married and she should move in with him.  When he said that didn't really make sense she suggested he get her a CZ engagement ring.  He then told her it had nothing to do with being able to afford a ring, it just wasn't happening.  Whew.... now I get to laugh about it!
She suggested the CZ ring because she thought money must be the only possible reason he might say "no".  I mean, what other reason could there possibly be??

Sounds like your Dad really dodged a bullet on that one!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
Wow, be very careful. I don't mean to get into too many personal details, but reading this and disregarding ages, I would be worried about her having an "Oops," and getting pregnant.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 03:10:09 PM »
In the next thrilling installment of this serial drama, the financially unstable woman pining for a man to bail her out will realize her current fish isn't biting.  She cuts her losses and moves on to the next vulnerable schmuck willing to trade his financial security for her artificial affection. 

I had the same thought.....your dad may be just the latest of a string of men she tried to get on the hook.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
Of course I am assuming that your father isn't stringing HER along...He has been clear to her about the "just having fun" part, right?

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
Quote from: Rezdent
Of course I am assuming that your father isn't stringing HER along...He has been clear to her about the "just having fun" part, right?

Well they have been together for over a year, but I think I'm not proposing to you is a pretty big sign.  And when they first met I'm sure he was open to the idea of marrying her one day, but obviously that is a big NO now.

Wow, be very careful. I don't mean to get into too many personal details, but reading this and disregarding ages, I would be worried about her having an "Oops," and getting pregnant.

Late 40s.  I don't think its a problem. 

So new news.  He thought she had been married twice before.  Make that 5 times.  We knew about the two she had kids with, but nope throw in a few more.  None of them lasted very long, sounds like they all had money or at least were big spenders.  Yea... dodged a bullet, he dodged a bazooka!

Pants

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 08:08:47 PM »
He thought she had been married twice before.  Make that 5 times.

Holy cow. I admire the lady's entrepreneurial spirit... but 5 times, looking for a 6th?! I feel tired just thinking about it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 08:44:18 PM »

I had the same thought.....your dad may be just the latest of a string of men she tried to get on the hook.

Me three.

An acquaintance of ours, our age (60) had a little fling with a college student while he was married. There was an oops. Now he's going to be an 80 year old dad working to put his college age child through college. I do feel sorry for him but suspect that I am more horrified by his situation than he is.

My 85 year old father in law has a live-in girlfriend 10 years younger than he is, but she is well beyond child bearing years, obviously. Still, she is a lively spender, but not on big bucks things. She is more along the lines of a continual-drain-of-money-on-tiny-stupid-and-completely-unnecessary-items spender. He's got plenty of money, the big money is protected in a trust, so his children aren't worried. He just goes through lots more daily spending money than he did before he hooked up with her.

innerscorecard

• Pencil Stache
    • Inner Scorecard - Where financial independence, value investing and life meet
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
I'm surprised someone actually got a $65,000 a year job on Craigslist. She's certainly good at something.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 07:06:06 AM »
Quote from: Rezdent

Well they have been together for over a year, but I think I'm not proposing to you is a pretty big sign.  And when they first met I'm sure he was open to the idea of marrying her one day, but obviously that is a big NO now.

Late 40s.  I don't think its a problem. 

Unless one of them has been sterilized or she's  gone through menopause (I'm 51 and not even showing signs yet and my dr. says 53 is the 'average' age) pg IS an issue that must be thought about and prevented.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 02:54:39 PM »
My grandfather divorced my grandmother, and married the other woman. The family eventually found out that he was her #5, maybe #6 husband. They truly aren't sure how many husbands she had. Anyway, he's dead now, and partially thanks to her he wasn't on good terms with most of the family (part of that was he was a horrible human being, but she made him worse).

But wait! There's more... after he died, she was horrified and furious that the family went in and took various things that are "family history" related. I don't know details, but the family was on the right side of the law here. She was going to sue, etc until the local sheriff called and informed her that the family had the right to sue her for various things, and she'd lose big time. Haven't heard from her since.

I'd almost like to find out more, except they're on the other side of the country, and no one is talking they're so mad. Plus, I want nothing to do with her!