Author Topic: Help me, I'm going to buy the Apple Watch!  (Read 56284 times)

Chuck

• Bristles
Re: Help me, I'm going to buy the Apple Watch!
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 11:05:44 AM »
As I holder of AAPL stock, I encourage you to buy the watch.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:26:56 PM by Chuck »

rpr

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 02:19:32 PM »
As I holder of APPL stock, I encourage you to buy the watch.

What does Appell Petroleum Corp have to do with Apple Watches?

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/appl

I assume you meant AAPL ;)

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »
As I holder of APPL stock, I encourage you to buy the watch.

What does Appell Petroleum Corp have to do with Apple Watches?

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/appl

I assume you meant AAPL ;)
Ha, you sass you! I'm editing that post now...

rpr

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2015, 02:33:49 PM »

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2015, 04:00:11 PM »
http://www.apple.com/watch/

http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch-edition/

"Take your cheap stainless steel version out of here you petty commoner!  18k gold plated version with a leather band, at least until the version with a diamond bevel is released so I can trade up.  Anything less is so pedestrian." -- Apple Snob

Allen

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 05:20:05 PM »
I had thought I might have wanted a watch (waiting to see the compelling reason for it to exist).

I didn't see it.

Lust for Apple Watch over.

I do want a fitness band though (e.g. Fitbit), but I have been holding off that purchase for over a year now waiting to see what Apple would do.

Now, maybe I just won't get anything at all.  Do I need a fitness band or do I just need to get up and walk more?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2015, 06:20:30 AM »
Why do you want it?

Seriously.  We've covered that you want this thing for some reason . . . but you haven't really explained how it's going to make your life better or you happier in any way.

2nd page of the thread and nobody has really answered this question.  :P

lise

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2015, 08:13:21 AM »

I do want a fitness band though (e.g. Fitbit), but I have been holding off that purchase for over a year now waiting to see what Apple would do.

Do I need a fitness band or do I just need to get up and walk more?

You need a friendly facepunch ;)
Stop buying things nobody needs just because some ad agency came up with a great marketing scheme...

Just like any other electronic gizmo, the "newness" factor will wear off in about 90 days, then it will go in the drawer of forgotten things. If you need a wristband to tell you you need to be active and give your body the excercise it needs, then you need more than just a wristband.

I got a FITBIT free (my brothers work were giving them out and he already had one). 

It is useful, I thought I walked a lot, but not quite as much as I thought on some days, so it was nice to know what I was actually doing. 

There are also smartphone apps that track movement (one is called Moves).  Just keep your phone on you while you're moving.  I heard it does drain the battery though.

In summary, they are useful for non motivated people like me that need some sort of reminder to get up and move.  Some people have in built motivation, some people need external motivation.  Just like some people can work out at the gym on their on, while others need to go to fitness classes and have someone yelling at them to move!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »
Do I need a fitness band or do I just need to get up and walk more?

Sell your car and walk/bike to work ;-)

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »
Why do you want it?

Seriously.  We've covered that you want this thing for some reason . . . but you haven't really explained how it's going to make your life better or you happier in any way.

2nd page of the thread and nobody has really answered this question.  :P

There's not a good answer.  :)  I only wear a smartwatch because it was a gift.  And I still rock my mechanical watch on a regular basis.  It's nice on occasion, but definitely not worth $350+.

EricL

« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »
In spite of being a die hard Apple fan, after watching the intro video I can't say I'm really sold on the watch.  But I wasn't initially sold on the iPhone either.  But go ahead and buy it. My stock can use a shot in the arm.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2015, 12:38:34 PM »
Ask yourself: is this purchase the end, or the beginning?

Every time you buy a new __toy you "need"___ it will eventually become less shiny and new, and you will "need" another new shiny toy.

I know this because it's precisely how I operate(d).

Trying to change.

SU

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
I went from this post to the Guardian website - this was the first headline that attracted my attention, so I had to come back again: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/10/nine-reasons-only-a-tool-would-buy-the-apple-watch

Loved #2.

zoltani

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2015, 01:09:05 PM »
Eh, you won't need this thing after a few years, when we all have chips implanted directly in our brains. Phones, watches, cameras, all will be things of the past.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »
I've been agonizing over this potential purchase as well. But back in the day:

The iPhone represented a fusing of devices I was already using: smartphone and MP3 player. And I waited until the third generation.

The iPad represented a more portable way to read and get shit done. And I waited until the second generation.

Apple TV helped me cut the cord years ago. And I waited until the second generation.

Other than an easier way to fire off a tracking app when I begin my run, I really can't see what the Apple Watch represents for me, other than an entry path to another gadget I'll want to buy stuff around and upgrade over time.

The dollars are small, relatively speaking. It's the principle I cannot get my arms around. I will continue upgrading my iPhone every year. Punch away! But I'm simply saying 'no' on this one.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:01:20 PM by Imustacheyouaquestion »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2015, 03:21:53 PM »
Does it tell the time?

zoltani

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2015, 03:47:47 PM »
Does it tell the time?

Only if you follow the following swiping sequence while standing on one leg:

Up up down down left right left right, and tap twice in the middle. 

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
I really have no idea what the use for this product is. It seems like it does some NFC things?  Hotel room key? I don't really get it...you could just hold your phone and do everything. Hell they even make fancy arm bands for iPhones. You can get them for like $15...

I could be wrong, but I think this device will just end up in the drawers of a lot of people...

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »
Oh no way!  I almost forgot Apple was going to innovate and come up with something completely new and amazing that will revolutionize the wearable consumer electronics industry, until I saw their promotional ad that I attached so we can all see how cool and hip everyone that wears an Apple Watch will be.

This reminds me of....

You can do the same comparison with Apple TV VS Roku.  With the Roku you get a lot more capabilities for a much lower cost

Apple USE to take an idea, make it better, and charge more for it.  Blackberry VS original iphone, or any mp3 player VS iPod.

Now Apple takes an idea, sends it to China, spends a few billion on advertising, and then resells a cheaply made copy of the idea for an extremely marked up price.  As long as people keep falling for this trick I'm fine buying the stock, but none of their products.

A smartwatch in general isn't a good idea yet because 1. battery life is horrible.  2. cost is too high.  3.  there aren't any capabilities that actually warrant them yet.  There are plenty of fitness trackers, and everything else a smart watch does just saves you pulling out your phone.  If you are walking this saves you 3 seconds.  If you are at work or home the phone is probably laying on a surface nearby so it saves less than 1 second.  4.  Most of them are ugly.  The iwatch is hideous.  They look like a $5 digital watch.  The iwatch looks like a $5 digital watch that is sold somewhere that they care about 'bling'(ex. the dollar store).  5.  They aren't properly waterproofed yet.  Most mechanical watches are good to at least 50 feet underwater... not that you would need that, but hey... rain or spilling a drink on them or even swimming with them isn't going to cause a problem.

Please go spend $350 on a watch that stops working after it gets rained on, and then go spend another $350 on the replacement.  I'm sure AAPL will benefit.

My mechanical watch requires no charge at all, my arm movements rewind it.  Its waterproof.  It tells time.  It looks a whole lot better than any of these smartwatches.  Well the LG one looks good, but it still suffers the other problems.

lise

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »
For me going cordless for headphones a few years ago made a big impact, so I already have them.

Can you elaborate on the benefits of cordless headphones? I'm thinking I could use them at the gym without getting weights tangled in the cord, at the grocery store when I seem to yank the cord out a lot while shopping, maybe while cooking (?) since I listen to podcasts while I clean up, and maybe while riding the bus so it's less obvious which pocket my phone is riding in.

running.  for me the cord swaying annoys me.    however i just stop running with music now and use the time to meditate

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2015, 08:03:24 PM »
The Apple Watch:

Pro:  You can pretend you are Dick Tracy.
Con: It's pretty much useless.

The End.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2015, 11:52:27 PM »
5.  They aren't properly waterproofed yet.  Most mechanical watches are good to at least 50 feet underwater... not that you would need that, but hey... rain or spilling a drink on them or even swimming with them isn't going to cause a problem.

At least in the Android Wear side of things, the LG G watch is "waterproof enough to wear on my arm through torrential Seattle downpours when I'm soaked through everywhere else," so it's more than waterproof enough for most uses...

I agree with you entirely about the rest of the points though.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »
The Apple Watch:

Pro:  You can pretend you are Dick Tracy.
Con: It's pretty much useless.

The End.

Ad campaign slogan suggestion:

Apple watch . . . because sometimes you need to feel like a Dick.

zoltani

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2015, 01:48:43 PM »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2015, 01:57:09 PM »
Apple was jealous of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Rich

:)

lise

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »
I just updated my iPhone and they downloaded a non-deletable app for the watch.  I've stored it in to a folder called "useless" !

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »
5.  They aren't properly waterproofed yet.  Most mechanical watches are good to at least 50 feet underwater... not that you would need that, but hey... rain or spilling a drink on them or even swimming with them isn't going to cause a problem.

At least in the Android Wear side of things, the LG G watch is "waterproof enough to wear on my arm through torrential Seattle downpours when I'm soaked through everywhere else," so it's more than waterproof enough for most uses...

I agree with you entirely about the rest of the points though.

Good to hear at least one of them is waterproof.  However the LG G is very guilty of looking like a 1990s $5 digital watch.  The only one I would actually want to have on my arm(not that I'm buying it) would be the Moto 360.

And the $10,000 iwatch.  I hope it rains when people leave the store. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:27:39 PM by Indexer »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/LG+G+Watch+Teardown/27037 has a teardown of the LG G watch, and Step 9 has the rubber gasket.  Apparently it's rated for 30 minutes to 1 meter, which, while not a "go swimming with it" waterproof rating, is good enough for pretty much anything you'll encounter outside a swimming pool or pond.

It looks like the Apple Watch has an IPX7 rating (1 meter for 30 minutes), so it should stand up to the exact same level of water (though, if my experience repairing Apple hardware is any guide, it will radically exceed that in practice).  So, not likely to care if you go singing in the rain with it.

lavidaportland

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »
Are you FIRE already?! If not, why do you want this watch more than your freedom?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »
Even if you are, it's a bit silly. :)

As one of few people who actually has a smartwatch in this thread, they really aren't that radical an improvement over just optimizing your phone's notifications down.

The one use case I can see for one, and would really have liked one for, is being oncall.  When you're in charge of a bunch of production services and the point of contact for several developer teams with regards to production changes, a smart watch would have been very, very nice for determining, "Is this important or can it wait until I'm back at my desk?"

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2015, 09:55:20 AM »
Apple was jealous of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Rich

:)

Motherfuckers.... how come I didn't think of making that app?

I also wonder when the Apple pocket watch is coming out. Imagine that? You'd have a cool electronic device in your pocket you could whip out and tell the time in and do other things with style.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:30:53 AM by dividendman »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2015, 11:23:48 AM »
Man, patent that idea!

Quinn

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2015, 04:05:59 PM »
not sure how accurate it is, but here you go!

http://dadaviz.com/i/3598

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »
not sure how accurate it is, but here you go!

http://dadaviz.com/i/3598

Weird that (for a site that looks like they create these all the time), they have NV and UT switched.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2015, 08:19:10 PM »
Does it tell the time?

Only if you follow the following swiping sequence while standing on one leg:

Up up down down left right left right, and tap twice in the middle.

It's like that Kromega commercial from SNL. "And with the third hand . . .!"
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/77/77akromega.phtml

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2015, 10:07:25 AM »
Well crap. I thought I had this thing licked, and yet that consumeristic desire still washes over me each time I read an article about the stupid thing.

So don't read any articles, idiot!, I can hear you say. Unfortunately my day job is reading, researching, and writing about new technology. So...I can't help but read about it.

This is certainly an exercise in discipline.

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2015, 10:18:18 AM »
buy apple stock instead!

Amen to that, we bought our first shares in 2007, sold it later, and bought some more later on that we still own today.  This has been wildly successful for us. 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
Amen to that, we bought our first shares in 2007, sold it later, and bought some more later on that we still own today.  This has been wildly successful for us.

:) It's amazing how my attitude towards totally full Southwest flights changed once I owned some LUV (Southwest's stock).

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/LG+G+Watch+Teardown/27037 has a teardown of the LG G watch, and Step 9 has the rubber gasket.  Apparently it's rated for 30 minutes to 1 meter, which, while not a "go swimming with it" waterproof rating, is good enough for pretty much anything you'll encounter outside a swimming pool or pond.

It looks like the Apple Watch has an IPX7 rating (1 meter for 30 minutes), so it should stand up to the exact same level of water (though, if my experience repairing Apple hardware is any guide, it will radically exceed that in practice).  So, not likely to care if you go singing in the rain with it.

The original Pebble is waterproof to 5ATM- so roughly 165 ft in water, and was tested in both fresh and salt water. I wore mine pretty much constantly on our last vacation through both pools & time swimming in the ocean since it serves as my pedometer, and it's still ticking (metaphorically speaking...) along happily. Ironically, I usually take it off when in the shower since that time is perfect for topping off its battery (it will run for the better part of a week without charging, but works well for me to just consistently charge it for that time- I do best with routines in place :P).

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2015, 11:47:52 AM »
Also, a suggestion to anyone considering it:

Wait 6 months.  Ask a friend with one if they think it was worth the money.

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »
Well crap. I thought I had this thing licked, and yet that consumeristic desire still washes over me each time I read an article about the stupid thing.

So don't read any articles, idiot!, I can hear you say. Unfortunately my day job is reading, researching, and writing about new technology. So...I can't help but read about it.

This is certainly an exercise in discipline.
Luxury items are not items of utility. They sell you feelings, and the ability to passively project something to others.

Rolex has been doing this for decades: Sell a watch movement that is based on 500 year old technology, made of precious metals and stones, and get others to pretend that it's worth 7k to start.

At least the Apple Watch also pays for your coffee and opens your hotel room door. ;)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2015, 03:02:17 PM »
I know of at least a handful of people who I will not be surprised at when they buy this, given their existing armada of Apple-only products. And yes, at least one of them "needs" a Mac Pro trashcan to justify the "development" work he does, which I'm pretty sure is just using XCode. For the rest, they're begrudgingly stuck with their 15" Macbook Pros, steaming in envy at the one who has the Mac Pro...

And me? Well, I'm infuriated at how I can't open more than 10 tabs at once with my puny Macbook Air. No, seriously. Wait what were we talking about again? Iphones?

On a lighter note, my mother-in-law, who my brother-in-law gave a Samsung Galaxy Tab to, keeps referring to it as an "IPad" - look at what Apple has done to the world. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:05:33 PM by jplee3 »

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2015, 08:45:59 AM »
As I holder of AAPL stock, I encourage you to buy the watch.

I own Apple too.  I actually think their products are phenomenal, but my Iphone six was paid for by my work, and they pay the monthly cell plan as well.  No way in hell I would have bought this with my own money.  Having said that, the iPhone six is phenomenal at the price of $0.00. 

zoltani

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2015, 10:36:34 AM »
I'm waiting for the Apple Toilet, the ishit! I hear they will announce later this year, just in time for christmas season.

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2015, 11:04:07 AM »
I'm actually gonna go against the consensus and recommend EXACTLY ONE reason to buy the watch:

Develop Apps for it and make $$$$$.  You said that you built an iPhone app, so make a LOT of apps for the Watch. 

If you can't, or won't do this, then don't buy it.

Brawndo TQ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2015, 09:55:23 AM »
Yeah I might get one too, mostly for the fitness tracking. Plus Apple software is good. Plus I've got the money.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
Plus I've got the money.

Not for long.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »
Yeah I might get one too, mostly for the fitness tracking. Plus Apple software is good. Plus I've got the money.

It'll be interesting to see how the Apple Watch compares to other options for fitness tracking (FitBit, Microsoft Band, etc).  At least on the Android side of the smartwatch fence, the pulsemeters are unreliable at best (I know a few people who have watches with them and they're not impressed - the best they'll say is that it works some of the time) (plus, you can't put a band across the back with them - it limits your watch band options a bit).  The fitbits and similar are much better at being step trackers & such, in addition to being cheaper, with longer battery life.

Apple software is certainly great, but "Things you can do with a smartwatch" is a very limited set of things, and most of the interesting ones involve internet bragging rights (as I understand "run tracking" and "ride tracking" website... it's about 10% useful, 90% comparing yourself to other people).

At a minimum, wait a few months and buy one used from someone who bought one on the first day and no longer uses it. :)

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »
There is a universe of possiblities for the device, and if some of them are realized I could see myself purchasing one.