Author Topic: Help me, I'm going to buy the Apple Watch!  (Read 56292 times)

IndyPendent

• Stubble
Help me, I'm going to buy the Apple Watch!
« on: February 27, 2015, 07:33:08 AM »
Someone stop me! I've been reading about the Apple Watch for months, talking myself into it completely. At this point, it's just a matter of how much I'm going to shell out for it--the relatively lower-priced entry model, the middle tier, or the crazy high-end gold version. And don't get me started on the bands!

This may sound like sarcasm, but I'm serious. I want one, and I have the means. Anyone else relate?

RexualChocolate

• Stubble
Re: Help me, I'm going to buy the Apple Watch!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:37:17 AM »
I think you have to charge them after 10-12 hours of light use and they'll add zero additional functionality to your phone, other than making you look like you're from the future by talking into your wrist.

So I don't relate, I'd rather spend less and just get a new model phone, my s4 is starting to age. I think if you  focus on the fact that it adds zero features, you'll be able to escape this recent bout of consumerism.

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 07:38:50 AM »
Zombie want brains

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 07:51:42 AM »
I am going to get raked over the coals for this but if you would use and enjoy it every day and keep it until it just flat wore out, I don't see the problem.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:14:11 AM »
I guess I don't see the point. I'm actually not sure what this thing really is or does as I've not cared enough to look into it, but for what would you need it?

A one-time purchase like this won't break a mustachian, really, but take this opportunity to work those frugality muscles.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »
buy apple stock instead!

EfficientN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 08:23:01 AM »
From a purely tech-nerd-gadget standpoint, is the Apple watch really that interesting? It's just a small 2nd screen for your phone, which you already have. To do anything interesting, you're going to pull out your phone anyway.

More importantly though, the first edition of the watch isn't likely to be a fully-finished product. Remember the first generation Macbook Air? At the very least, make yourself wait a while and see if your desires change.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 08:28:29 AM »
You asking to be talked out of buying it, which indicates that you know very well you don't need it.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:32:26 AM »
Wait for the second generation.  This is not going to be the apple watch you want in the long term.  If you don't wait for the next one, you'll end up replacing after a year.

Note: I think that you shouldn't get it at all, but if you must, wait until the good one comes out.

forestbound

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »
buy apple stock instead!

+1

I am a HUGE Apple fan. I have been working on Macintosh computers my entire career, 25+ years! BUT I REFUSE to fall into the trap of needing the latest toy. I BOUGHT STOCK, during the depths of the recession, best APPLE buy ever. I have an iPad 2 (gift) and an OLD iPod (gift) and a brand new Mac Pro desktop, top of the line which makes me money! I refuse to get an iPhone, I have a $5 flip phone I barely use.

I suggest you wait 6 months and get a used one if you absolutely must.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 08:35:29 AM »
It could be worse... I just bought a sports car for racing, for example!

(In my defense, I see it as buying a hobby, not a car... and it's a hobby I've really wanted to do for years. And this was my last chance to own a 2-seat car before having kids. And it "only" cost $3500. And now I'm just rationalizing, so I'll shut up.)

firebeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
If you resist now, your frugality muscles will be bigger and stronger.  If you give in, you are skipping the gym to drive to the ice cream shoppe for a pair of sundaes.

Comrade, exercise your discipline!

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 08:58:04 AM »
If you absolutely need to buy it, I agree with a previous commenter about waiting for 2nd gen. Apple makes most of its new releaess in Sept, timed for the holiday shopping season.  Waiting for 2nd gen will mean that you sue it longer and won't want to upgrade as soon as the new improved one comese out.
I read an article this morning that said to buy gold too, just in case Apple sells out of the 1 M planned watches. That tags along with discussion about buying AAPL stock.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 09:05:13 AM »
If you resist now, your frugality muscles will be bigger and stronger.  If you give in, you are skipping the gym to drive to the ice cream shoppe for a pair of sundaes.

Comrade, exercise your discipline!

This speaks to me. The reality is that I already own AAPL stock and my funding for the watch comes from an app that I sell on the App Store. So my justification for this little purchase is that it's completely paid for by all those iPhone owners who buy my app, the proceeds I then use to buy AAPL, and in the last two months alone the capital appreciation on my investment pays for several of the watches.

But do I need it? NO! I just want it, and the more I look at it, the more I want it. However, it really would be "skipping the gym".

But it doesn't stop the desire!

EricL

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 09:09:46 AM »
"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is so often true."

- Spock

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 09:23:11 AM »
If you want it and can afford it then go for it, the only person that can stop you is you. I generally avoid Apple products because they are pricer than the alternatives, but that's just me. I would, however, be wary of joining many of their fans that will buy their newest releases. If this might be you, then I would wait until the 2nd generation to either buy that, or buy a 1st edition for cheap.

This speaks to me. The reality is that I already own AAPL stock and my funding for the watch comes from an app that I sell on the App Store. So my justification for this little purchase is that it's completely paid for by all those iPhone owners who buy my app, the proceeds I then use to buy AAPL, and in the last two months alone the capital appreciation on my investment pays for several of the watches.

But do I need it? NO! I just want it, and the more I look at it, the more I want it. However, it really would be "skipping the gym".

But it doesn't stop the desire!

If this is the case, any chance you might be able to buy it and expense it as a business expense? Especially if you may be wanting to make an app for the watch? I should add that I know little about the upcoming watch, but maybe this is a way to reduce your tax burden, which will help offset some of the eventual cost.

lise

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »
Get it.  First generation iPhones are collectibles now!

;-)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »
Why do you want it?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
Haha! Sucker.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
Why do you want it?

Seriously.  We've covered that you want this thing for some reason . . . but you haven't really explained how it's going to make your life better or you happier in any way.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 10:43:23 AM »
Do it. Do it because you suck.

My continued lifelong prosperity is dependent on consumer idiots like you.  I don't have to work anymore solely because people like you continue to make bad decisions about disposable consumer goods. 

I want you and all of your friends to buy this thing.  Then a year later buy the upgrade.  And you might need the protection plan.  And you definitely need a variety of bands to go with every outfit. Please also consider purchasing an assortment of new apps to run on it, and some screen protectors, and a spare battery, and maybe an all new wardrobe with shorter sleeves so you can show off your new pride and joy.

Some people are dumb, and other people are rich.  We've each made our choice, I think.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 11:04:32 AM »

My continued lifelong prosperity is dependent on consumer idiots like you.  I don't have to work anymore solely because people like you continue to make bad decisions about disposable consumer goods. 

I want you and all of your friends to buy this thing.  Then a year later buy the upgrade.  And you might need the protection plan.  And you definitely need a variety of bands to go with every outfit. Please also consider purchasing an assortment of new apps to run on it, and some screen protectors, and a spare battery, and maybe an all new wardrobe with shorter sleeves so you can show off your new pride and joy.

Some people are dumb, and other people are rich.  We've each made our choice, I think.

This made my day.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 11:55:39 AM »

Wow. Reading that is like watching a 60's Batman fight scene! WHAM! BIFF! POW!

anon-e-mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 12:05:51 PM »
sol just made my day.
Like the OP, I really 'want' the stupid watch.... .I really really do.
If I give in and buy it, I give up what I've been striving for.

Sigh.... I probably won't get the watch, I'll pout about it then make myself feel better and just watch my net worth statements over time.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 12:34:08 PM »
Buy it! Muahahaha.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »
"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is so often true."

- Spock

Very timely.   :(

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »
Oh no way!  I almost forgot Apple was going to innovate and come up with something completely new and amazing that will revolutionize the wearable consumer electronics industry, until I saw their promotional ad that I attached so we can all see how cool and hip everyone that wears an Apple Watch will be.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 03:10:25 PM »
If you really think you're going to get that much use out of it and enjoy it that much and can afford it without impacting your own goals? Why not.

Is it something most (OK, pretty much ANY) people really need? No, of course not. Will some people get ~$400 worth of enjoyment out of it? Quite likely. For many here, it would impact (or at least would be perceived as impacting) their goals. For others, it might not.

I personally am rather interested in finally getting to see how they actually work and feel in a store. Am I likely to get one? That will depend on how well my Kickstarter Pebble holds out- I've already had to replace that band when it wore out, and not many have had them for longer than I have to know how long they'll hold out before crapping out. Hopefully for quite a while. If it dies, I'll have to assess the available options to replace it- I find the smartwatch's functionality to be very useful to me and it has been well worth what I paid for it (OK, that's a bit inaccurate given I bought two in the Kickstarter campaign and immediately sold the second for what both of them cost me- meaning I effectively paid nothing for mine...).

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »

Ha! Epic facepunch.

I don't have a terrific reason for wanting one, even. Though would there be, with this forum? :)

This is typical with me--I have gadget lust when there's a new thing out there. It sounds stupid when I type it out, and that's likely because it is stupid. This is why I'm posting this on the Antimustachian wall of shame and comedy, and not on some tech blog where I'd get a million sympathetic or encouraging ears. In general I do a decent job of disciplining my mind about these things. For whatever reason this time it's been more difficult.

For anyone curious, my own weasely justification for a "smart watch" in general is rooted in the silent alarm function. I had a Fitbit for a while and really got value out of the alarm not waking my wife up. I certainly don't need a $350 watch to accomplish that.   

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
My former self has wallowed in gadget last so I totally get it.
But tech advances so fast now...faster than even five years ago.  Meaning this would be the latest thing for what, a few weeks?  And then, people who got it will be moving on to something else.
Why not compromise a wee bit?
Tell your lust  YES.  But procrastinate on it.  Research it a few more weeks or months.  Soon there will be perfectly great ones, barely used, on the market.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 08:07:34 PM »
How else do you propose to know sports scores at the power of bicep-curl??? Listen here, you son of a bitch; Buy that fucking watch.

Alabaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 12:36:25 AM »
Oh no way!  I almost forgot Apple was going to innovate and come up with something completely new and amazing that will revolutionize the wearable consumer electronics industry, until I saw their promotional ad that I attached so we can all see how cool and hip everyone that wears an Apple Watch will be.

Holy fuck, who needs 32 GB of flash space on their watch? How is there even a market for that?

anon-e-mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »
People would buy iTrashBags for twice the cost if it were shiny and had an apple sticker on it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 10:06:12 AM »
Holy fuck, who needs 32 GB of flash space on their watch? How is there even a market for that?

I think the idea is that it would become your music player.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Strabo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 10:50:18 AM »

Since 90 % of the functionality of the watch actually need you to own and carry a (presumably newer generation) iPhone anyway it still seems very redundant to have that kind of storage on it.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53:56 AM »
I'm not really understanding the whole smart watch thing in general. Couldn't you just find some cheap wristwatch and put an apple sticker over it and get basically the same functionality?

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »

So, since nobody wants a wire connecting their headphones and their wrist, you'd pretty much be obligated to get blue tooth headphones too.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 01:14:36 PM »

So, since nobody wants a wire connecting their headphones and their wrist, you'd pretty much be obligated to get blue tooth headphones too.

Sure, if you don't already have some.  For me going cordless for headphones a few years ago made a big impact, so I already have them.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 01:39:55 PM »

Are you really suggesting that people will spend $750 so that they can leave their phone at home and still have (part of) their music collecton on hand?

There's a reason the market for mp3 players dried up.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:42:45 PM by sol »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »

Are you really suggesting that people will spend $750 so that they can leave their phone at home and still have (part of) their music collecton on hand?

There's a reason the market for mp3 players dried up.

No, of course not.

Their phone will be with them.

How else will they get notifications on their watch?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 01:53:40 PM »
So they have their phone and BT headphones with them.  How does the watch figure into their music collection again?

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »
This whole thing is such a chase-your-own-tail kind of consumerist urging.  The powers of marketing are trying to get us all to replace as many possessions as possible as often as possible.  I remember when a camera and a watch were things you kept pretty much forever.  Meaning: you never had to pay money for a new one.  Now they get you to replace your phone as often as possible (I believe the average is every 18 months), and your camera for those who have separate cameras.  But the problem with combining everything into your phone is that then you're only replacing one item every 18 months.  Solution!  Take the watch part back out of the phone and turn that into another thing that has to be replaced on a regular schedule.  Because you can bet that even if you want to hang onto it for some epic period like 3-4 years, the software and the apps and all that will have moved on, and it won't be working right any more, and then it will be a $350 piece of junk.

If you put that money in the market, at a modest 5% return, that money will be $525 after ten years.  But are you going to stop replacing your Apple watches after they become defunct?  Or would you be on the treadmill? 

If you bought another $350 watch (let's say the price stayed the same) in another three years, and then that one became outdated and you bought your third in another three years — replacing these things a lot more slowly than they want you to — all that money plus interest would add up to $1397 at the end of ten years.  Would you pay $1400 for the Apple watch?  Are you aiming at FI?  Or would the money better be spent on a vacation you'll remember forever, or some other irreplaceable experience?

Henry David Thoreau found a nice rock and brought it into his cabin on Walden Pond and set it on his windowsill.  He was trying to live the simple life.  After a while he found that the rock needed dusting.  He opened the window and threw it out.  "It is best to avoid the beginnings of evil," he wrote.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »
So they have their phone and BT headphones with them.  How does the watch figure into their music collection again?

They load the music onto the watch instead of or in addition to.

Sol, I feel like you are trying to make logical sense of it.  What on earth would make you think these people would be logically purchasing this for an actual needed purpose?  Stop being ridiculous.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2015, 01:07:21 AM »
My 2 cents, don't waste your money being an early adopter. The iphone took four generations to become great, so if you really do want one, try and wait a couple of generations.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 08:36:50 AM »
My 2 cents, don't waste your money being an early adopter. The iphone took four generations to become great, so if you really do want one, try and wait a couple of generations.

It depends on the product.

I loved my first gen iPhone (though I bought used only after it was jail broken/unlocked so I could get on TMobile at the time with my unlimited plan, rather than AT&T, and only had for a year, didn't get another one until the 4S). And loved my 1st gen iPad.

The watch I'm skeptical on.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »
Well, I've temporarily been talked off the ledge. It helps to have this forum to balance out the relentless consumer engine!

I took my old (given to me) Fitbit out of the drawer and charged it up--I found replacement bands on eBay for $1.75 each, and ordered 10 of them. I'd tossed aside the Fitbit because the bands kept breaking every couple of months, but this should do nicely as a silent alarm for the next couple of years! Total cost = $17.50 over three years is a nice step down from the ~$400 after tax that I was considering. So, now I've got 380 employees that I can put to work.

I'm sure I'm not alone in the waffling over this new piece of machinery, so hopefully this thread helps anyone else out that needs a kick in the pants!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »

So you can carry your music on your run and play it to your Bluetooth headphones when you don't want to carry your phone.

Duh.  :p

I kind of like my smartwatch (LG G Watch), but it was a gift, and I've told several people who asked, "Yeah, it's cool, but I don't think I'd pay money for it."

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 07:48:52 AM »

So you can carry your music on your run and play it to your Bluetooth headphones when you don't want to carry your phone.

Duh.  :p

I kind of like my smartwatch (LG G Watch), but it was a gift, and I've told several people who asked, "Yeah, it's cool, but I don't think I'd pay money for it."

I love how my "ad" was (what I thought at least) clearly sarcastic, given the blatant strike through of all the references to Samsung.  It was intended to poke fun at the fact that Apple has a nice history of taking older innovations from Samsung, using outdated gen hardware, making no SD storage access but offering models with extra integrated storage at exorbitant prices, upping the base price, slapping a logo of a bitten apple on it and getting drones to line up and sing its praises as the hottest new thing and proof of Apple's ability to innovate.  Apple hasn't released the official specs yet, at least not that I'm aware of....but I bet mine will be close :)

But it's cracking me up that you guys are both offering up legitimate and tongue-in-cheek justifications for why a 32GB watch model makes sense.  LOL!

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2015, 10:29:20 AM »
Someone stop me! I've been reading about the Apple Watch for months, talking myself into it completely. At this point, it's just a matter of how much I'm going to shell out for it--the relatively lower-priced entry model, the middle tier, or the crazy high-end gold version. And don't get me started on the bands!

This may sound like sarcasm, but I'm serious. I want one, and I have the means. Anyone else relate?

Consider this a partial help... at least it is cheaper and works with both android and ios

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!