Author Topic: have to confess somewhere...  (Read 3830 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
have to confess somewhere...
« on: May 16, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »
Have been traveling for work a lot and before this last trip I paid my credit card bill twice, once on friday and once on sunday.  Both times for the full amount due.  Balance included an international plane ticket, hotel, rental car and misc stuff.  Did not notice what I did as I normally 'pull' the money from the cc site and it does not really show electronic payments until they clear.  And they did not clear till monday after I flew out to Europe on the current trip.

Did not realize what I had done until I logged into my bank mid week and saw the balance way lower than expected.  Took a second to think and then go look at the cc and see that I have a multi-thousand dollar credit.  I had a lot more cash in the checking than normal so this did not put me into the red but even with normal checking balances I think it would have just taken the money from the linked brokerage account-no harm-no foul.

Still need to call the ccc and see what I can do to fix this.  I dont want to get thousands of euros out of some ATM then convert them back to dollars then mail the cash to my online bank.  Guessing they can mail me a cash advance check but I will not be home for a week or more so it would just sit there.  maybe they can electronically transfer it...  would rather not just spend it down over the next month or two on more work travel I have coming then just keep the company reimbursement.

No matter how stupid I feel from this is really cool how it's only a minor inconvenience to me where to most people this would be a majorly stressing event causing an over drawn checking account.  Having some savings can really remove a lot of stress in life.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: have to confess somewhere...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:22:18 PM »
They should just be able to reverse it, or do a bill pay back to your checking account.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »
Don't feel too bad, I've double paid a few bills, fortunately never large ones though. Usually while super busy at work, much like your story. Good luck.

Latito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
I used to do this occasionally - or just forget about a bill and accidentally not pay it despite having the cash sitting in my checking account.  I solved this problem by creating a spreadsheet in Excel that I just always leave open on my computer from which I pay bills.  It lists each bill I regularly pay (1 per row) and each month (1 per column).  I check off the corresponding cell as I pay the bills.  I sorted them in order that they get paid too.  This way I can very quickly at a glance check to make sure I've paid everything and won't ever double-pay something.  Maybe this could help you!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
@Latito: most of my bills I get am email (except the cc's, normally pay it off weekly) and I move it out of the inbox when I pay it.  only thing on auto is the mortgage as I forgot it once and dont want that to happen again.  a google sheet might be a good idea for other bills, might be better than Mint for me too.  Mint takes to much work with the travel I do, "yes I spent 2k on hotels last month, and 0k this month.  No that is not savings... " just f's up the trend charts.  Mint just does not quite work for the active work traveler - edit: rather it takes to much work.

@daverobev: yes have learned that there are lots of stupid people out there and I am not the first to do something dumb.  Just need to make the call.

@Cheddar Stacker: I normally over pay my home gas bill by 100$ in the summer so I dont have to deal with it till fall, works well having a credit :-)

I remember back in the day a credit card company asking for my home phone when I was cell only.  That happened only once; when there is a profit motive large companies can learn very quickly.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:14:43 PM by AlanStache »

nordlead

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 06:51:42 AM »
Every time we have a positive balance with a CC, they cut us a check and mail it to us. You may be able to get the money out faster with a cash advance, but that'll probably cost you compared to waiting for them to create the statement and mail a check.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!