Author Topic: Have someone else clean your barbecue  (Read 6293 times)

El Marinero

• Stubble
Have someone else clean your barbecue
« on: September 11, 2016, 09:03:07 PM »
I applaud the entreprenurial spirit behind this business: 
http://thebarbecuecleaningpros.com/

But, any guy who needs their services should just surrender their man card now.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
Re: Have someone else clean your barbecue
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »

Here is my man card. 

I base my manliness on my ability to spend time cleaning my BBQ. 

I also don't watch Football. When asked about my favorite sports team, I don't have one nor do I care about watching any type of sport.

Oh my goodness!  I need more testosterone!  Maybe I need to go to a pig roasting party at KitKat's house so I can feel so manly. 

Let me guess you change your own oil just to say that you are mechanically inclined. 

Sorry, I may sound a bit bitchy but it's that time of the month... You know the time when sports start taking up regular conversations and ads.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 06:22:18 AM »

Here is my man card. 

I base my manliness on my ability to spend time cleaning my BBQ. 

I also don't watch Football. When asked about my favorite sports team, I don't have one nor do I care about watching any type of sport.

Oh my goodness!  I need more testosterone!  Maybe I need to go to a pig roasting party at KitKat's house so I can feel so manly. 

Let me guess you change your own oil just to say that you are mechanically inclined. 

Sorry, I may sound a bit bitchy but it's that time of the month... You know the time when sports start taking up regular conversations and ads.
+1. I only watch sports when I'm in the gym. Be it NFL, European/British soccer, NHL, F1, NASCAR. Or listening while fixing things at home or in the car.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 02:48:34 PM »
I've designed my BBQ smoker so that I can clean it with a brush burner flamethrower using propane till all the fat has singed to a crisp, also makes a handy method of evicting hornets from the smoke chamber.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:02:54 PM »
People clean barbecues? I just scrape/brush the crud off grates and re-oil them, and they're good to go. Cast iron grill grates are no different than a cast-iron skillet.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »
People clean barbecues? I just scrape/brush the crud off grates and re-oil them, and they're good to go. Cast iron grill grates are no different than a cast-iron skillet.

Exactly.  I don't even re-oil.  The smoke and dripping fat will have them covered naturally enough.  Knock the big chunks off so you don't sit the meat on something that tastes off and ... you're good to go.

Once every year or so I scrape the solidified fat out of the bottom and toss it on the ground.  I leave a little behind as a rust protector.  I tried once using it as a fire starter... Don't do this.  It burns forever and it'll be hard to keep the temperature down.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 03:47:28 PM »

I just knock the big crap off or occasionally give it a 30s scrub with a grill brush. Done.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »
Exactly.  I don't even re-oil.

I've got a pretty big grill and don't always completely cover it with food. Oiling mainly helps stop the areas near the edges from getting rusty.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 03:56:40 PM »
Here in southern California I have seen ads for grill cleaning services...but anti-mustachian stuff is quite common around here.  I also regularly see a truck that goes around town offering a garbage can cleaning service.   

The list of what I won't pay for grows longer every day.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
Here in southern California I have seen ads for grill cleaning services...but anti-mustachian stuff is quite common around here.  I also regularly see a truck that goes around town offering a garbage can cleaning service.   

I won't PAY to have my garbage can cleaned, but it definitely needs some soap and water to kill whatever funk is currently in there. One of these days...

El Marinero

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 10:53:22 AM »

QFT

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »

QFT

What does that mean? The only thing I could come up with is Quantum Field Theory.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 02:28:18 PM »

QFT

What does that mean? The only thing I could come up with is Quantum Field Theory.

I googled it and "quoted for truth" showed up.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 02:30:18 PM »

QFT

I googled it and "quoted for truth" showed up.

Thanks!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 02:04:12 PM »

I won't PAY to have my garbage can cleaned, but it definitely needs some soap and water to kill whatever funk is currently in there. One of these days...
I occasionally clean my indoor trash can (sometimes it smells badly), and a couple times I've poured some bleach into my outdoor trash can. 

Similarly, in our old neighborhood a young entrepreneur passed out flyers saying he'd put your trash can out on the curb /return it to your house on trash day.  His price:  .50/week.  I know he did some business with the elderly neighbors for whom wheeling the trash can was a real chore.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 08:49:34 AM »

I looked into being a BBQ (and stove) cleaner as a side-gig - found out there's already guys doing it in two adjacent suburbs.
It doesn't matter what you/we would pay to have done.  It matters what the people with money are willing to pay to have done - and more and more 'simple' labor tasks are being paid for.   

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »
"more nad more simple tasks are being paid for" - - - which just blows my mind.

I listen to people complaining about how their money doesn't go as far, flat income (no raises), higher cost of everything - and then people hire out those tasks they could do for themselves.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 06:20:24 PM »
"more nad more simple tasks are being paid for" - - - which just blows my mind.

I listen to people complaining about how their money doesn't go as far, flat income (no raises), higher cost of everything - and then people hire out those tasks they could do for themselves.

I say the same thing every time I am churning butter or milking Betsy. Look at those fools getting their milk and butter delivered.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
Hey if you can afford the services okay but why complain "life is expensive" and then choose to live as expensively as possible?

They say "I'm broke, woe is me, life sucks" and have payments and debt equal to their income...

Such a "well, duh!" situation.

I know, I know. Obvious once a person is committed to careful choices.

I'm just "pre-ranting" in the run up to the holidays - the time when we see the most friends and family and are most likely to hear these stories. ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:39:43 AM by Joe Lucky »

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »
Hey if you can afford the services okay but why complain "life is expensive" and then choose to live as expensively as possible?

They say "I'm broke, woe is me, life sucks" and have payments and debt equal to their income...

Such a "well, duh!" situation.

I know, I know. Obvious once a person is committed to careful choices.

I'm just "pre-ranting" in the run up to the holidays - the time when we see the most friends and family and are most likely to hear these stories. ;)

:)

Yup, I hear people talk about financial issues in one breath and then in the next talk about what a great deal they have on their $6 lunch which is like 60% cheaper than their other typical lunch.

Maybe lunch is their kryptonite? haha

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 11:02:36 AM »

After I saw this thread, I looked into bbq cleaning as a side job and didn't find anyone in my area.  I did find house, office, pool, roof, carpet, furniture, driveway & sidewalk, automobile, boat, RV, gutter, and garden weeding and cleaning.  I can see why people must work to 70 if they have outsourced all of these projects. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 01:28:31 AM »

Exactly.  I don't even re-oil.  The smoke and dripping fat will have them covered naturally enough.  Knock the big chunks off so you don't sit the meat on something that tastes off and ... you're good to go.

Once every year or so I scrape the solidified fat out of the bottom and toss it on the ground.  I leave a little behind as a rust protector.  I tried once using it as a fire starter... Don't do this.  It burns forever and it'll be hard to keep the temperature down.

That's a great idea for fire starter. I can't toss my gunk on the ground (grill sits on a very nice patio out back) so I could begin to save it for the fire pit.  I have to clean my grill a bit more often than once a year - use it all the time.