Author Topic: have kids? get them a golden slide for $12.5k  (Read 4176 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
have kids? get them a golden slide for $12.5k
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:08:51 AM »
When I was little my dad bought an old metal play-slide that was being sold at a yardsale because the ladder was rusting through.  He cut off the ladder and mounted it to the A-frame play structure he built himself out of salvaged wood given to him when our neighbors redid their deck.  It was my favorite toy growing up.

Now I feel poor because he didn't shell out $12.5k for the gold plated version.  Oh, and if he really loved me he could have custom-ordered one covered in rubies!
http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/07/luxury/24-carat-gold-slide/index.html?iid=HP_River

sheesh.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: have kids? get them a golden slide for $12.5k
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:37:12 PM »
Shit like this gets posted twice a week.

Nobody's expected to buy this. This is a product specifically to create headlines. You're doing free advertising for whoever sells this, and that's exactly what they want. Stop it.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »

Nobody's expected to buy this. This is a product specifically to create headlines. You're doing free advertising for whoever sells this, and that's exactly what they want. Stop it.

Ahhhhh your comment bumped it up on the thread list and now I read it and commented

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »

This is the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" - of course it makes sense to post this here. Google-rankings aside, I strongly disagree with the assertion that mocking such things helps sales of such items.  Stigma is a powerful force.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 04:02:01 AM »
People don't buy it because its a good idea. The type who would buy it are the "haha I can drop 12G on this shit without blinking and you can't" brigade.

They are also the sort of people that don't realise that people like us could do the same as we have the means but obviously we choose not to.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 05:54:55 AM »
The intention of the creator of said product is a moot point.  This is ridiculous even if it is purely for attention grabbing.  And mildly amusing all the same.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:05:17 AM »
FFS, stop wasting my time!  It's 24-carat GOLD LEAF.  I was looking for a SOLID GOLD slide for my child, which would have been a steal at 12.5 k.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 06:21:48 AM »
FFS, stop wasting my time!  It's 24-carat GOLD LEAF.  I was looking for a SOLID GOLD slide for my child, which would have been a steal at 12.5 k.

yeah - that makes it so much worse!  you're not even getting a substantial amount of gold for this.  Just something shiny for a 99.9% markup.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:13:07 AM »
That's a lame slide. I was imagining something more impressive, like this treehouse:

http://www.danielswoodland.com/tree_houses/deluxe_monstro.php

There is an episode of Bob the Builder where they install one of these (well, a slightly smaller model, because there are a dozen options). My jaw put a hole in the floor... that is a a $50,000 playhouse.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:21:05 AM »
I should add, working for a company that designs parks and playgrounds sometimes, that commercial playground equipment is expensive. My shock about the playhouse on Bob the Builder was that it was clearly being installed in someone's backyard.

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 08:37:35 AM »
I should add, working for a company that designs parks and playgrounds sometimes, that commercial playground equipment is expensive. My shock about the playhouse on Bob the Builder was that it was clearly being installed in someone's backyard.

Cheers to that. I don't begrudge commercial playgrounds their cost, they must be sturdy, weatherproof, safe, approved, etc. But when designing a series of small kindergarden schools, we designed our own treehouses and had a carpenter build them because the cost was just too much for a small business. (we designed and built up to code, but didn't need to have them preapproved by the govt, so that was cheaper too)