Author Topic: Have any of you ever texted the wrong person...  (Read 8776 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Have any of you ever texted the wrong person...
« on: January 05, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
...with a message about them?

this happened earlier today. I was texting my wife about how annoying it is when my dad loudly calls for me (normally about something really trivial) when the door was shut while working (just started a telecommute gig). About half an hour later I looked at my texts again and noticed the text was to my dad, not my wife (they were both texting in tandem before and I wasn't good about checking who I was replying to). Anyway, he hasn't called for me ever since... ha ha ha. Now for the *facepunches* - it's his second day of helping with babysitting our kid while I'm at home working.

I think I'm still figuring things out but it was so frustrating yesterday. Ugh, I hate texting. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Have any of you ever texted the wrong person...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 05:26:16 PM »
I've never texted.  :P

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
In Australia, the current news stories include one about our Immigration Minister accidentally sending a text to a journalist calling her a f..... witch - see http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/peter-dutton-left-redfaced-after-texting-mishap-20160103-glyll6.html

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 07:12:24 PM »
I do it all the time, but the texts usually don't carry a negative message, just silly stuff that means nothing to the person receiving the message.  I can't be trusted with a phone if I'm going to do that!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 07:51:14 PM »
I did, many years back, when I was texting my dad and then-boyfriend at the same time. Thankfully nothing embarrassing, but after that I became really careful about "spacing out" my texts to various people.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 07:58:18 PM »
I have done it several times, but always some silly inane issue that wouldn't offend.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 02:44:12 PM »
Oh, me, me, I have a better one!

A while ago I was on a life insurance sold through an intermediate company. A prospective financial advisor was trying to "steal" me from that intermediate and become the new intermediate for the same life insurance.

After meeting with me (and I had refused to change intermediates), he texted me, believing he was texting his partner.

The text was about how I had decided to stay with my current financial institution. The text implied that it was good I was staying on the life insurance scheme, which gave them a chance at getting me as a client one day, but that it was bad that I had stayed with the other vendor. It looked as if the guy would have been willing to admit the product was terrible, just so that I would stop doing business with their competitor. Almost as if he would have been happier if none of them would get my business rather than his competitor.

(I quit that life insurance 1 month after that, mostly because it was a bad product, but that text also helped confirm all these people were bad)

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 05:57:19 PM »
It has happened to me. I sent a text to my mother in law by mistake instead of my wife.  It wasnt anything bad but it easily could have been.  A good idea is for people you want to make sure you never text them by mistake is to put a "X"  in front of their name so for sure you know your are texting the rite person then.

Bright Lights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »
It has happened to me. I sent a text to my mother in law by mistake instead of my wife.  It wasnt anything bad but it easily could have been.  A good idea is for people you want to make sure you never text them by mistake is to put a "X"  in front of their name so for sure you know your are texting the rite person then.

Another solution (if your phone is capable) is to add emojis in front of people's names. I have hearts around my partner's name and various smiley faces around my best friends' names. That gives me an easy visual cue when I'm texting multiple people at once.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
I texted a terrible ex boyfriend I was trying to avoid instead of my late-fiance's mother... they have the same gender neutral name.  Ugh.  It was something about when I was going to be over for Christmas.  He responded with "ok, I'd be glad to have you but we're eating at ___ time". 

I told him my mistake, and then added NOT in front of his contact name.  Now I've learned just to block people instead of leaving them in your contacts so you "know when to not answer"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 02:43:39 PM »
I try to always avoid sending any messages that I wouldn't want to be known publicly. A few times I have sent an email to the wrong person, but thankfully it hasn't led to any troubles.

Faramir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 01:42:29 AM »
I got a new phone recently and soon received a txt from a stranger who thought they were texting a sibling saying that "Mum" was in hospital and had a pxt of "Mum" unconscious in a hospital bed with hospital ward details.

A separate story, my friend lost all his contacts' numbers in his phone so he didn't know who was texting him.  He got a txt saying "Mum just died".  He doesn't have any siblings so he thought it might be his Dad texting referring to my friend's grandmother.  He called his Dad on a landline and asked how he was doing and his Dad said "Great".  They soon realised the txt wasn't from his Dad.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 01:49:16 AM »

What? Ever? So if you wanted to discuss a topic with someone you would just...talk to them? *shudder*

Seriously though, although overused, texts can be very handy. In particular for questions that don't need immediate answers or when you know the recipient can't answer their phone.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
Only one time in my life. My mother still hasn't forgiven me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »

What? Ever? So if you wanted to discuss a topic with someone you would just...talk to them? *shudder*

No cellphone, so no opportunity to text.

Ramblin' Ma'am

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 08:37:35 AM »
Yes, meant to send my sister-in-law a snarky text about my mother's bad driving. Accidentally sent a group text to my SIL and mom...

fa

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
I try to always avoid sending any messages that I wouldn't want to be known publicly. A few times I have sent an email to the wrong person, but thankfully it hasn't led to any troubles.

This.  I always ask myself if my writings would cause embarrassment if published on the front page of the newspaper.  If the answer is "yes" I don't write it.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 02:36:13 PM »
Ok, this isn't mine, it's a friend's, but it's too hilarious not to share.

Friend, 16, texted his then-girlfriend about how much he was looking forward to cutting school to have sex with her.

The text went to his mother.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »

This.  I always ask myself if my writings would cause embarrassment if published on the front page of the newspaper.  If the answer is "yes" I don't write it.

Geeze guys, I feel kinda sorry for the recipients of your love letters. . .

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 06:56:03 PM »

Geeze guys, I feel kinda sorry for the recipients of your love letters. . .

All's fair in love and war, so I kinda ignore this rule.....

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 08:04:17 PM »
I emailed the wrong person and it was definitely a bad person to send this message to.

I've been ill and have applied for SSDI.  I needed to update my SSDI lawyer as to how I was doing, what the tests showed, etc.  Extremely personal information that I would not want traveling along the Nurses' Gossip Train. 

I worked with this crazy nurse for a while, truly crazy. She asked for my email (before I really knew her), FB'd me and acted all crazy on there so I blocked her.  That made her insanely mad, she blew up my inbox. Awful.  I had a friend approach her and directly tell to her face that she had to stop contacting me.  She finally stopped.

A peaceful year goes by.  I send the private email to my lawyer.  Got an email back from Crazytown nurse with all this medical advice and an outpouring of how much she missed me.  She didn't even realize the email was about lawyer-ly things and had nothing to do with her. 

She and my lawyer have the same first name and I let it autofill with the wrong Kristen.  Let's just say my year of peace is over.  And I am sure any medical professional we both new, now knows every detail of my health.  Grrrrreat! 

I will never make this mistake again.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 09:26:59 AM »
No errant texts from my phone b/c I very rarely text anyone but my wife or son. And I would never text anything sensitive. I did mess up an email once. Won't make that mistake again!

A few months ago I started getting calls and texts for a "Derrick". Calls from family members, etc. Towards the end of that period I started getting collection texts and collection phone calls.

Decided to let "Derrick" figure it all out himself. Let him endure some late fees. I had no way of contacting him anyhow.

I've been through this before. Years and years ago I started getting calls for some young woman at my house (bachelor at that time).

The calls started coming later and later in the evening. One night at about 3AM yet another call came and I was very frustrated/tired/grumpy. Some dude looking for her again. Told him she just left with some guy. That I couldn't remember his name. He suggested a couple of names and I picked one at random.

Never another call for her at my house. Hopefully they broke up or an argument revealed that he'd been using the wrong number all along. ;)

Could be worse. A friend has the same name as another fellow in our area that has been in jail...

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 01:32:32 PM »
Well, the other day I got a mis-texted "Your Mom" joke... from my brother. All in good fun, though.

Years ago I got a number from a girl at a concert... or so I thought. Turns out she made up a number to give me - probably a good choice on her part. But unfortunately that "fictitious" number was for a guy whose sister-in-law had the same name, so when I called and asked for Jane he got reeeaaallly insulted at the implication that he was hanging out with his brother's wife. After a couple tense exchange we figured out what had happened and had a good laugh about it. Although I do wonder if that guy was sleeping with his brother's wife, because he got really offended, really fast.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »
I'm not much of a texter but I did cause a coworker to make a mistake on an email a few years ago.  A bunch of us were talking about the Tard Blog, a now-defunct blog written by a special education teacher.  He was writing an email to Tara.  Yep, the salutation was "Tard."  Fortunately the Tara in question thought it was funny.  The rest of us were in hysterics for about fifteen minutes.  :D

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 05:37:41 PM »
Reminds me of this piece by Irish comedian David O'Doherty: https://youtu.be/ZzvZnb5fXoo

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 06:14:49 PM »
More than once.

The most memorable was a complaint to the supervisor about how a certain other person was stepping on toes and promising my client things that I couldn't deliver. 

... On the bright side, she threw a tantrum and left the building so I could finish the show in peace. :)