Author Topic: Have an extra $10K laying around? Throw your dog a party!  (Read 5428 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Have an extra $10K laying around? Throw your dog a party!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 03:36:17 PM »
Every time I read an article like this one, I buy a few more shares in disgust. There is no way these morons should have more money than me.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 03:48:36 PM »
Ok but "bark mitzvah" sounds pretty epic.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:56:37 AM »
That is pretty ridiculous...but eh. To me if they really do have more money than they know what to do with, it's not the worst thing ever. Especially for owners with no kids it seems comparable to the crazy children's parties...the overconsumption aspect seems more anti-mustachian than the spending aspect.

I'm sure there are owners who spend more than they can afford, but for the president of Estee Lauder it's probably (hopefully) a pretty small fraction of his income/NW...and he recognizes that he's paying for entertainment, rather than insisting it's something his dogs NEED. Sure, it would be better for the world if the cash went to charity, but I imagine (perhaps idealistically) that some of the money is going to people who will use it on practical things (i.e. the caterers, bakers, service staff using the income to buy groceries and gas).

Also kind of impressed by the party planners capitalizing on the market. Presumably involves a fair amount of networking.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 10:45:19 AM »
Got to kick off the trickle down economics somehow... ;)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:27 AM »
Got to kick off the trickle down economics somehow... ;)

Yes, and if the dogs aren't house trained yet they will definitely trickle down on something.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 01:20:30 PM »
I actually thought about having one of my dogs a party when he turned 10, I just had way too much going on at the time to make it happen.

Of course, I probably would have spent like $20 on good food and had friends BYOB...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 01:22:41 PM »
Definitely the highlight of the article.

One of our dogs recently decided to celebrate her birthday early with the half pound of bacon I left on the counter by mistake.   And yes, I'm still bitter.  But that wasn't $20,000/lb bacon, so I still come out ahead.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »
Definitely the highlight of the article.

Concur, BTW

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 03:08:01 PM »
a good friend of mine has a birthday party for her dog each year. Her kids and her decorate a little bit, and bake a little treat that's safe for her, and take pictures of her in front of it (with a candle) and then pictures of her dog consuming her treat. Her dog is an eskimo and is absolutely adorable so the pictures are really amusing.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 07:07:37 PM »
Worst part is that there will be people who make $100k who will try to reproduce a party half as extravagant and costly as the same person they see who makes $500k. 

We'd like to think that buying power is linear, but the more you make often frees up a lot more disposable income as people's personal "wants" become fulfilled.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »
A dog party! A big dog party!

...Do you like my hat?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 01:30:40 PM »
A dog party! A big dog party!

...Do you like my hat?
I like it! I like that party hat!

sbagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 07:18:13 AM »
I once threw a dog shower. 

About 20 years ago, a good friend of mine inherited three Chihuahuas when a close friend of hers passed away (he was terminally ill and she had agreed to take the dogs when he died).  She was talking about the supplies she would need to get and jokingly said, "So, when are you going to throw me a shower?"  My DH and I looked at each other and said "pick a date!" 

We ended up with a vaguely Mexican-themed shower, with tacos, hot dogs, burgers & a small cake.  We made my friend wear three pins ("It's a boy!" "It's a boy!" and "It's a girl!") and got dog noses on elastic for everyone to wear.  She got many creative gifts, including a hand-made book with various doggy commands in Spanish, leashes, collars, dog beds, treats, etc.  My parents and I chipped in for a gift certificate from her vet to cover the cost of neutering the one dog who still needed that.  The vet had never been asked for such a thing before but happily made up a certificate for us. 

We had a blast and we still laugh about it. 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 07:19:37 AM »
Great idea!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 09:23:23 AM »
I once threw a dog shower. 

About 20 years ago, a good friend of mine inherited three Chihuahuas when a close friend of hers passed away (he was terminally ill and she had agreed to take the dogs when he died).  She was talking about the supplies she would need to get and jokingly said, "So, when are you going to throw me a shower?"  My DH and I looked at each other and said "pick a date!" 

We ended up with a vaguely Mexican-themed shower, with tacos, hot dogs, burgers & a small cake.  We made my friend wear three pins ("It's a boy!" "It's a boy!" and "It's a girl!") and got dog noses on elastic for everyone to wear.  She got many creative gifts, including a hand-made book with various doggy commands in Spanish, leashes, collars, dog beds, treats, etc.  My parents and I chipped in for a gift certificate from her vet to cover the cost of neutering the one dog who still needed that.  The vet had never been asked for such a thing before but happily made up a certificate for us. 

We had a blast and we still laugh about it.
That sounds adorable!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 09:39:44 AM »
My kids have annual birthday parties for our dog and cat. We just really like birthday parties, and so do our friends. We bake a cake and sing to them. The cat has never attended her own party.

If I had a kajillion dollars like the people in the article I'd splash out and get the birthday pet a treat. A bone or some catnip. Fancy!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 12:45:39 PM »
I actually thought about having one of my dogs a party when he turned 10, I just had way too much going on at the time to make it happen.

Of course, I probably would have spent like $20 on good food and had friends BYOB...

your dog has friends?

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »
My dogs think $0.10 worth of cheese dropped on the floor is a party....

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 01:02:26 PM »

your dog has friends?

Of course he/she does. It's whoever has a pulse and pets him/her.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 06:48:10 AM »
Missy turns 10 this month.  Hmm, every day is a party for her, not sure how I can amp up one day.  We could play super frisbee, all frisbee, all day, if the weather cooperates.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »
I took my dog on a walk last night. You'd think I promised her a steak. There was "talking" and bouncing around and lots of joy.