Author Topic: Happy Halloween  (Read 5535 times)

lentilman

• Stubble
    • the Independent Penguin
Happy Halloween
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:09 PM »
Any one else see trick-or-treaters that were being driven around by parents?

I had several stop at my house (typical suburban layout - all the houses are connected by sidewalk and have fairly small yards).  Worst one was a minivan carrying a single girl door to door - the girl would run from the van to the house back to the van followed by the van driving forward 20 feet and repeating.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: Happy Halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »
Yes, I would say about 20% of my trick or treat visitors are being driven around.  Mostly I think it's because the parents don't want to walk.

(and here's where I admit that one year a couple of years ago I resorted to this because it was pouring down torrential rain and I was tired being wet.)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »
I hate Halloween.  My teeth are full of fillings because of it.

more4less

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »
Mmm! Just have tried pumpkin spice latte for the first time. It was okay.

There's a neighborhood in SF where some of my coworkers drive with their kids for trick-or-treating. It's like 10-20 miles away from places they live. I assume treats are tastier and houses' decorations are nicer than next to their doors.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »
We didn't get any trick or treaters. I didn't buy any candy. My mother-in-law did. So more candy for her, I guess. I did make crack candy, took it to work and got everyone hooked on it LOL

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »
True story -

We moved to our house on Halloween.  We live across the street from a cemetery.  Yes, we are the front line for the zombie attack.

Anyway, we bought candy, put out some decorations during the day.  Left the light on.  Sat outside on our porch.  Watched kids get driven up to our next door neighbors and then turnaround.  Nobody came up.

It was awesome. So awesome we have gone over to either a friend's house or our in-laws (we have done that since we've had kids).

apennysaved

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »
Lentilman beat me to it.  I told my husband I was going to post about this topic.  We only observed the parents following behind in their cars while their kids walked/ran door to door, so at least the kids were getting some exercise, but what a poor example to set for your child.  I am 38 weeks pregnant, and my husband's comment was that if I could walk door to door surely most of these other driving parents could do the same. 

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »
True story -

We moved to our house on Halloween.  We live across the street from a cemetery.  Yes, we are the front line for the zombie attack.
**snip**

Better get your peashooters ready!

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »
Yes, I would say about 20% of my trick or treat visitors are being driven around.  Mostly I think it's because the parents don't want to walk.

(and here's where I admit that one year a couple of years ago I resorted to this because it was pouring down torrential rain and I was tired being wet.)

That's insane!!  20%!?!?!

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 08:48:43 AM »
My wife is from a very rural town too, with widely spaced houses and no sidewalks. One of the dads would bring a whole group of kids house-to-house on a hayride with his tractor. Always struck me as a decent compromise.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 05:36:03 PM »
I ignored trick-or-treating this year (my wife handled it), and that's probably a good thing because I would have been tempted to refuse service to kids who showed up in a car and probably would have gotten my house vandalized for it.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »
Happy Halloween indeed

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
Two years ago I had a utility trailer being towed through the neighborhood by an 4-wheeler ATV with just a ton of kids jumping on and off.

Aside from that, I've never seen anyone driven. They're all on foot. We're in a kinda pricey suburb of Chicago.

This year, we had 39. I know because we had 9 packs of M&Ms left from a 48-pack. (It was a bit nerve-racking around 7:30. We decided to hand out soda if we ran out.)

Semi-related, how many of people's trick or treaters needed a good kick in the butt?

Of my 39, I had one that was too young to talk much (but made up for it in cuteness) and three who were plenty old enough but couldn't manage a "trick or treat" or a "thank you."

One of those three (travelling together, so probably all a product of the same dubious parenting) managed a "thank you" after I called out "you're welcome" to her rapidly receding back.

Another of the three apparently didn't think I made it to the door quickly enough and decided to open it himself and come in, presumably in search of candy.