Author Topic: Hand selfie to show off diamond (NYT Sunday)  (Read 6972 times)

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
Hand selfie to show off diamond (NYT Sunday)
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:40:31 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/fashion/weddings/raise-your-hand-for-an-engagement-selfie.html?_r=0

“Absolutely, the rise in social media is a reason people are getting a ton of stuff done, not just to their hands,” said Dr. David Bank, the director of the Center for Dermatology in Mount Kisco, N.Y., who has been offering hand lifts since 2005 and has conducted studies on hand injectables.

Dr. Matthew Schulman, a Manhattan plastic surgeon, said he sees about eight patients a month specifically for hand treatments. “Everyone wants to see pictures of engagement rings, whether it’s looking at their wish pic or sending photos to their friends to announce an engagement,” he said. “They are becoming more aware of what their hands look like, much more than getting a manicure.”

Age spots, veins or a bony appearance (or, horrors, all three) have become an obsession for some women. And as with all obsessions, there is a price to be exacted. In Ms. Valencis’ quest for that perfect selfie of her diamond-adorned hand, she contracted for a series of six intense pulsed light (I.P.L.) and chemical-peel treatments and two syringes of an injected gel substance called Juvéderm Voluma XC for a total of $3,000.

I've got a solution! Don't buy a diamond and don't post a photo of your hand! OMG, this article has to be one of the most horrifying "trends" ever. Does the NYT publish these things to document the idiocy of people? Or to make people aware of the wonders of hand lifts?

mjs111

• Stubble
Re: Hand selfie to show off diamond (NYT Sunday)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »
Seems like it would be easier and cheaper to just hire a hand model.

Mike

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
I can't even believe I just read that!  Basenji, I agree with your solution!

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
OMG.  Some people have "real" problems.

Dana Wood, the beauty director at Brides magazine, does not think hand lifts are money well spent. “Especially if they’re young, I think there are so many better ways to spend your money than that,” she said. “Like, do they have their eight months of Suze Orman living expenses? There are so many D.I.Y. things you can do for your hand, like mixing sugar with coconut oil to remove dead, flaky skin.”

One sensible thing in the whole article.

lb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:20:05 PM »
Whoa! I didn't know I was supposed to feel bad about my hands, too! Awesome, a new body part to work on and obsess about. I will go get a hand lift immediately.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
It's silly to do it, "especially if they're young"?!  So oldies should go ahead and spend that money?  Cripes.

MrKrabs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »
This post made me google for "engagement ring selfie" (didn't even know that existed... sigh). It's apparently a disease: https://www.google.com/search?q=engagement+ring+selfie&tbm=isch

But don't worry, learn the 10 steps to a better engagement ring here: http://theknot.ninemsn.com.au/engagement/proposal/popping-the-question/10-steps-to-a-better-engagement-ring-selfie/attachment/engagement-ring-selfie-kin

<I don't want to live on this planet any more>

(oh, and hi, first post :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:47:28 PM by MrKrabs »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
Yeah, book me onto the Starship Enterprise for the first flight out to Andoria. Agree with MrKrabs--I don't want to live on this planet anymore either.

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »

Ha!  Sometimes I feel that way too.  Forums like these at least let me know there are like-minded people out there.  I've seen quite a few of those engagement ring photos on Facebook.  And when in person, many women immediately ask to see the ring when told of the engagement.

Mike

The Hamster

• Stubble
  • Vivere intus vestri mediis
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 09:35:17 PM »
Seems like it would be easier and cheaper to just hire a hand model.

Mike

Even easier and cheaper to just photoshop all the spots, veins and wrinkles away.

Gah I hate social media and how it has turned people into self centred narcissists...

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »
Gah I hate social media and how it has turned people into self centred narcissists...

They were always narcissists. It's just more obvious now.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 10:32:15 PM »
On the same theme: The 7 weirdest plastic surgery trends

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/25/the_7_weirdest_plastic_surgery_trends/

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
This makes me want to vomit.

Fake ass people.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »
Reading that made me cringe

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 10:55:01 AM »

Oh, I like the planet.  I just wish Ms. Gaia would get around to evicting some of her more obnoxious tenants :-)

On the article, I wonder what the heck is wrong with veins and a 'bony' - that is, muscular definition - appearance?

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
I guess you have to do something with your money when you get tired of vajazzling.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 01:58:49 PM »
It gets worse - one of the connecting article was to Twilight inspired weddings.  The most vapid love/vampire story out there (Bella is a wet noodle) and they are using it for inspiration?

This post made me google for "engagement ring selfie" (didn't even know that existed... sigh). It's apparently a disease: https://www.google.com/search?q=engagement+ring+selfie&tbm=isch

But don't worry, learn the 10 steps to a better engagement ring here: http://theknot.ninemsn.com.au/engagement/proposal/popping-the-question/10-steps-to-a-better-engagement-ring-selfie/attachment/engagement-ring-selfie-kin

(oh, and hi, first post :)

kiml

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 07:55:30 AM »
So we're supposed to be thin, but have plump hands?  So confusing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!