• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ham
« on: January 27, 2014, 11:35:36 AM »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:40:38 PM by Exit »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Nursery Water
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:43:21 AM »
Lol . . . what I like the most about this product (other than the unnecessary cost and the waste associated with packaging it) is that it helps to prevent a child from developing their immune system naturally, potentially causing a life time of additional issues.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:19:55 PM »
Not sure about the US but in Canada tap water actually has to meet stricter guidelines then bottled water.    Most bottled water is just tap water from somewhere with tasty tap water maybe passed through a filter...

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »
The US EPA does have water guidelines, but I'm not sure about the strictness relative to that of bottled water.  A lot of cities have launched campaigns that pit their tap water against bottled water in blind taste tests and are almost unanimously winning, most famously in NYC. 

Penn & Teller's Bullshit! did a whole episode on bottled water...its...well...BULLSHIT!

Mrs3F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:40:51 PM »
My best friend's twins were born 10 weeks premature.  Even after they went home, everything around them had to be super-sterile for ages.  So this is not always a completely stupid product.

But in general, I agree that the parenting arms race has reached ridiculous levels, and a normal dose of germs is good for most kids.  My own kids do just fine with tap water. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 12:51:02 PM »
My best friend's twins were born 10 weeks premature.  Even after they went home, everything around them had to be super-sterile for ages.  So this is not always a completely stupid product.

But in general, I agree that the parenting arms race has reached ridiculous levels, and a normal dose of germs is good for most kids.  My own kids do just fine with tap water.

Was your friend unable to boil tap water to sterilize it?  Unless so . . . yes, this is still a completely stupid product.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:55:45 PM by GuitarStv »

alm0stk00l

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »
The product is useless, but the website is actually kind of pretty :)

Hatawa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 03:39:36 AM »
It is quite popular in my country.
We do use lots of bottled water. Tap water is pretty bad in urban areas. I would not recommend drinking it, even after boiling. It actually stains pots, sink, toilet bowl. After reading MMM for a while though I think I should probably look for an appropriate filtering system.
But seems to me that nursery water is all about marketing. And the prices are unbelievable. My sister once bought some for her baby - couldn't believe it

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 06:50:44 AM »
Not sure about the US but in Canada tap water actually has to meet stricter guidelines then bottled water.    Most bottled water is just tap water from somewhere with tasty tap water maybe passed through a filter...

I think I've heard this in the US, too. couldn't give you a source, though.
It is quite popular in my country.
We do use lots of bottled water. Tap water is pretty bad in urban areas. I would not recommend drinking it, even after boiling. It actually stains pots, sink, toilet bowl. After reading MMM for a while though I think I should probably look for an appropriate filtering system.
But seems to me that nursery water is all about marketing. And the prices are unbelievable. My sister once bought some for her baby - couldn't believe it

interesting! I was for some reason picturing it as a US-only product.

Elyse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 06:53:19 AM »
The water where I live is horrible.  The nursery water is actually the cheapest way to get decent tasting water here.
$0.88 a gallon, then coupons to make it lower.  It is just distilled water.  My dad used to use it as a cheap water supply for his breathing machine (I don't remember what it is called).

I've tried filters, flavor packets, everything I could think of for my tap water.  The water here is just awful and can't be saved from home.

I like drinking water.  I save in a lot of other aspects of my life, so I don't see a problem with spending $4 a month to have good tasting water. 

I don't think any one should be fussing over their babies with this if their drinking water is fine.  So I don't think you need to use it specifically for babies, but if your area has a horrible water supply... why be miserable?

judgemebymyusername

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 10:33:06 AM »
No matter how bad your home tap water is, you can always buy a distiller or reverse osmosis system to take care of the issue. I'd rather have a one-time expense that pays itself off than a continuous expense.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 11:42:18 AM »
I have some friends (about whom I could post so much in this section of the forum, but I generally try to leave their ridiculous spendy habits alone for the sake of the friendship) who LOVE this stuff. The wife developed a strong aversion to the smell/taste of most sources of water when she was pregnant, until they tried this kind, so in theory it started as a way to keep her hydrated. But then the husband decided it tasted better too and I believe this may be the primary water the whole family drinks now, at least last I heard from them about it. So, crazy as you may think it is to use this for a potentially delicate infant, there are those even crazier who will shell out to drink it themselves as fully grown healthy adults!