Author Topic: Halloween Loans are Scary  (Read 3523 times)

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
Halloween Loans are Scary
« on: September 29, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »
Found this flyer for Halloween loans at work.  I can't even imagine taking out a loan to throw a halloween party!

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
Re: Halloween Loans are Scary
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »
I doubt anyone is doing this?

I've only been to one or two Halloween parties, as an adult. You just dressed up in a costume. They had drinks and food. There were no major expenses involved.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:45:37 PM »
And for adult Halloween parties, or at least the few I have been to, the adults who had really clever costumes got the Brownie points.  I still remember the moving storm front.

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 04:57:36 PM »
There's a costume I want to buy, but it would cost at least $70, plus either shipping or traveling more than an hour to the store and an hour back.

I actually could see a Halloween party getting expensive, if the host decides on fabulous costumes, spooky lighting and sound (which has to be different than the previous year, so why bother saving that stuff?), giant inflatables to decorate the lawns, expensive snacks, video game disks, etc.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
There's a children's consignment store in my area that sells halloween costumes for children, and i got a skeleton costume for my son that cost only seven dollars.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
I do pretty intensely decorated, themed Halloween parties. Last one was a creepy carnival, with a midway games section, scavenger hunt and costume contest, and always with cash prizes but sometimes also include some pretty cool things like chocolate skulls, wine, movies, and games.

I build most everything myself using thrifted stuff, find by haunting (ha) craigslist, or stuff I find/scavenge at garage sales and trash days. I do spend a bit of money in the end, but it's a hobby I greatly enjoy and one of my few remaining creative outlets.

The neighborhood seems to love it too. We hand out good candy, to everyone (including young, old or no costume).

While we can afford this type of thing, it is really sad if someone is going "all out" and into debt to do so.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 09:49:06 PM »
Note that you must borrow at least $1000.

While it's sad, I don't doubt this.  Christmas loans have been a thing for a while now, and Halloween is fast becoming a lot of adult's favorite holiday.  I do know people who go "all out" to decorate their houses, who throw big parties, etc. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 10:29:30 PM »
Note that you must borrow at least $1000.

While it's sad, I don't doubt this.  Christmas loans have been a thing for a while now, and Halloween is fast becoming a lot of adult's favorite holiday.  I do know people who go "all out" to decorate their houses, who throw big parties, etc.

A person can do that without spending a ton of money, though. Most of the people I know who decorate do it the way I do: spend $50 to $100 on decorations *after* the big post-holiday sale for use the following year, and rotate items in and out of the collection so that the decorations are never exactly the same way twice. I'm a big Hallowe'en fan in one of the biggest Hallowe'en neighborhoods in town-- we get at least 200 kids-- but I still see no merit in going over budget. I get a good quality treat for the first 200 kids but fold up shop when I run out of treats or 9 PM comes, whatever happens first.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 10:17:50 AM »
A person can do that without spending a ton of money, though. Most of the people I know who decorate do it the way I do: spend $50 to $100 on decorations *after* the big post-holiday sale for use the following year, and rotate items in and out of the collection so that the decorations are never exactly the same way twice. I'm a big Hallowe'en fan in one of the biggest Hallowe'en neighborhoods in town-- we get at least 200 kids-- but I still see no merit in going over budget. I get a good quality treat for the first 200 kids but fold up shop when I run out of treats or 9 PM comes, whatever happens first.
Oh, I'm not arguing that point!  Just saying that it's not a surprise that people are willing to borrow for Halloween.