Author Topic: Had to tell y'all about this car  (Read 13832 times)

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
Had to tell y'all about this car
« on: July 13, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »
Was walking the doggies and came upon a fancy car, a Jaguar XJL 5.0. I'm not into cars, but it was so flash, you can't miss it. Googled it, costs around $95,000. But what made me stop and laugh was the vanity plate: BLESSNG

Madre de Dios...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Had to tell y'all about this car
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 06:11:54 PM »
If they were going to spend so much money on a car, they should have gotten a really great car and bought a Tesla.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 06:21:14 PM »
If I was going to waste that kind of money, it would be on a woman, not a car. :)

HumblePie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:17:39 PM »
If I was going to waste that kind of money, it would be on a woman, not a car. :)

What's the going rate on a flashy luxury woman, these days? J/k

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »

More than that Jag.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »
Used XJLs are less than half the price of new already ($35k for this one):
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=395428003

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 05:01:53 AM »
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=395428003

I figured a car person would know. But still, the point holds.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 07:04:45 AM »
If they were going to spend so much money on a car, they should have gotten a really great car and bought a Tesla.
No shit... long run, even a loaded P85D would have lower TCO.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
Feel free to give me that car. I'll be happy to sell it.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 08:50:22 AM »

I figured a car person would know. But still, the point holds.

Agreed.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 09:08:04 AM »

Agreed. I can't imagine ever spending nearly that much on a car, but if I were to spend a considerable amount of money it would be either a Tesla or a Lexus.

In a few years when Tesla has released Model 3, I may be willing to buy it. $35,000 is more than I ever want to spend on a car, but I may be tempted....

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 09:22:36 AM »

Agreed. I can't imagine ever spending nearly that much on a car, but if I were to spend a considerable amount of money it would be either a Tesla or a Lexus.

In a few years when Tesla has released Model 3, I may be willing to buy it. $35,000 is more than I ever want to spend on a car, but I may be tempted....
Depending on your driving habits, knock off anywhere from $5k to $15k for gas savings.
There was a fun case study where a 7-seat Model S worked out to be cheaper than a Honda Odyssey over, IIRC, five years (barely half the powertrain warranty period). Of course, MMM types tend to drive less, which reduces the TCO advantage of the EV, but as a current exception (10k+ business miles alone annually) I still love that aspect of EVs. I have a Volt and check used Tesla prices regularly.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 08:29:43 AM »
Agreed. I can't imagine ever spending nearly that much on a car
Oh, I can imagine it, in the immortal words of Han Solo, "I can imagine quite a bit!" ;-)

Doesn't mean I would, but such thoughts can be fun at times.

lifeinhd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
Ooh... the XJR (not L) is one of my "realistic dream" cars. I have an irrational desire for large, powerful sedans. You can get an 04 for well under $10k, so really the only thing stopping me is the horrendous gas mileage (still, surprisingly better than my old Buick).

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM »
Ooh... the XJR (not L) is one of my "realistic dream" cars. I have an irrational desire for large, powerful sedans. You can get an 04 for well under $10k, so really the only thing stopping me is the horrendous gas mileage (still, surprisingly better than my old Buick).

15/22 mpg is barely worse than my Subaru Legacy GT (and the Jaguar should be noticeably quicker). At least you're not lusting after a Maserati Quattroporte which has a similar amount of power to the Jaguar (but weighs a little more) and only gets 11/14 mpg (2005 model)!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:00:13 PM by RWD »

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
So if the owner has a net worth of 10 mill and income of 1 mill a year and paid 28K for the Jag at auction(and it is worth 44K)  because he is an auto dealer wouldn't you consider it a blessing as well?

Hard to judge others from one's personal perspective. 

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 04:58:07 PM »
The great thing about Jags is that depreciation drops them like a rock. The XJ's especially, look up one that's 10-15 years old and how much it costs now on Craigslist.
If you like that car, buy it in 10 years. It will cost you less than a new Ford Focus.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 05:10:39 PM »
So if the owner has a net worth of 10 mill and income of 1 mill a year and paid 28K for the Jag at auction(and it is worth 44K)  because he is an auto dealer wouldn't you consider it a blessing as well?

I find that part easy, but I have learned here that cars are off-limits for mocking. I should have known better with a husband who still pines for his 68 Camaro. Mea culpa!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »

I find that part easy, but I have learned here that cars are off-limits for mocking. I should have known better with a husband who still pines for his 68 Camaro. Mea culpa!
oh no you were entirely correct I'm sure.   You know I love to play devils advocate.  Good post.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 08:31:56 PM »
Saw a beat-up Impala at the post office today. The front license (the non-legal part) said "I'm retired, you're not." Didn't stick around to see how young the driver was....

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 08:00:37 AM »
Saw a beat-up Impala at the post office today. The front license (the non-legal part) said "I'm retired, you're not." Didn't stick around to see how young the driver was....

this is awesome

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
I find that part easy, but I have learned here that cars are off-limits for mocking.
Are you kidding? Unless your vehicle is limping along beyond the age where most people have it towed to the junkyard, the zealots here will pile on. If I ever buy a nice car, even if I'm a millionaire at that point, I may just neglect to mention it.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 12:53:01 PM »
I find that part easy, but I have learned here that cars are off-limits for mocking.
Are you kidding? Unless your vehicle is limping along beyond the age where most people have it towed to the junkyard, the zealots here will pile on. If I ever buy a nice car, even if I'm a millionaire at that point, I may just neglect to mention it.
That's because one of the principal tenets of MMM is  "Luxury is a weakness."
I have a 2006 Audi A4. I'm weak in that regard as well.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 12:56:01 PM »
I had a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V for a couple of years. $52k new. I paid $12k in 2011 and sold it for $13k in 2014.

I might get facepunched all day for a 400hp V8 luxury sedan, but damn was it fun. And worth it. :D

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »
Eh, someday I may buy a more sporty car than I currently have, but by that point I will most definitely be FIREd and have excess cash for me to play with. Aside from giving to charities, I will spend my money as I deem fit. I also, will want and expect Facepunches from people here as I know that nearly everyone here is reasonable and level-headed and I value most of your insight.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 01:55:26 PM »
Was walking the doggies and came upon a fancy car, a Jaguar XJL 5.0. I'm not into cars, but it was so flash, you can't miss it. Googled it, costs around $95,000. But what made me stop and laugh was the vanity plate: BLESSNG

Hey, man--when the almighty himself soars down from the sky in a cone of gold and hands you a fancy car, you say "Thank you!!"  ...Then you sell it.  The next day.  On Autotrader.  (OK, maybe 2 days later--after you've driven it around a bit.)

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 06:52:06 AM »

I had a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V for a couple of years. $52k new. I paid $12k in 2011 and sold it for $13k in 2014.

I might get facepunched all day for a 400hp V8 luxury sedan, but damn was it fun. And worth it. :D

That's the thing about a lot of the slightly older luxury marques, you can get a lot of car for Civic prices if that's your thing. $80,000 Porsche SUV for 20k? Sure, why not? (as long as your commute isn't long) You do have to enjoy working on cars a bit if you go this route though. If you're handy with a wrench (and an OBD diagnostic tool) many of these cars can be worked on in your own garage more than most people think they can. Reliability concerns are real but some models are not as unreliable as their counterparts. The unreliable models in the lineup really drive down prices on all of them (i.e. Porsche non-turbo 996, BMWs sold under the 15k mile(!) oil change interval, etc). Not to mention the people that must have the newest model and immediately trade in their 3 year old M3 for the latest.

If you take the time to research what the reliable models are and what it takes to fix the most common issues you can enjoy "expensive" luxury cars for a fraction of the cost. Or, you can look for the "cheap" version of the luxury car, VW Toureg vs. the Porsche Cayenne.

That said, a Civic, Fit, bicycle, bus/train pass, etc is still going to be cheaper and more reliable, I'm certainly not going to argue that! You really do have to be a car enthusiast to game the luxury/sports car market effectively, if you don't care about cars at all then there's no point. Mustachian? Probably not. OTOH, as JLEE posted above, he drove a 400hp RWD sport sedan for 3 years and paid only gas, insurance, and maintenance. All of which you're going to be paying anyway if you own a car. Besides, everyone needs a hobby, right?!

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »

I have the same problem with large, powerful sedans; I can't seem to give up my Mercury, although I do keep trying to talk myself out of keeping it. I keep planning to reconsider when it becomes expensive to maintain, but it just hasn't (aside from the crap mpg).

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:36 PM »

Fucking A

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »

Don't have the faintest idea.   I never wasted money on  a woman, all the women I dated were quality individuals.  :)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 03:20:23 PM »

Yep. My '99 Chevy sedan has air conditioning. Luxury IS a weakness that I share too. ;)

(Actually it needs a new a/c compressor clutch. $65 from Rock Auto and I'll install it myself.)

I admire the luxury cars. Can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:23:05 PM by Joe Average »

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 03:40:02 PM »
I have to admit, I'd love to own a manual-transmission CTS-V wagon one day. (Before that, though, I'm more likely to own a BMW E30 or E36 sedan, probably non-M.)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »
I wish they sold a stripped-out version of the Model S with burlap seats and manual windows. I just want the fucking battery range.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 11:37:42 AM »
I have to admit, I'd love to own a manual-transmission CTS-V wagon one day. (Before that, though, I'm more likely to own a BMW E30 or E36 sedan, probably non-M.)

Yeah, the wagons are super sick. My older brother briefly contemplated getting one. I'm glad he came to his senses and did not, but I would have loved to drive it! :-P

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »

Don't have the faintest idea.   I never wasted money on  a woman, all the women I dated were quality individuals.  :)

To paraphrase W.C. Fields: "I spent half my money on women and booze - the other half I wasted"

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 05:59:30 PM »
This thread seems like a good spot for a facepunch.  I have been driving an '02 Acura RSX type-s since well, 2002.  Was actually a present from my dad for graduating high school, lol.  Well it has only 105k miles and drives just fine, but I have been looking at s2000's.  Such a fun car but basically the least practical car ever.  Looks like my car is worth 6-7k and s2000's look to be ~12k for cars with similar miles to my car.  Not a terrible expense but I literally have no need for one!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »
This thread seems like a good spot for a facepunch.  I have been driving an '02 Acura RSX type-s since well, 2002.  Was actually a present from my dad for graduating high school, lol.  Well it has only 105k miles and drives just fine, but I have been looking at s2000's.  Such a fun car but basically the least practical car ever.  Looks like my car is worth 6-7k and s2000's look to be ~12k for cars with similar miles to my car.  Not a terrible expense but I literally have no need for one!

It's only impractical in terms of cargo capacity, and slightly in gas mileage. Other than that, it's about the cheapest legitimate sports car you can run this side of a Miata; maybe even cheaper since good S2ks are appreciating.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2015, 05:46:56 AM »
Saw a different car than in my OP, same block, a Honda Fit with a bumper sticker (and no vanity plate). Sticker says:
"Life is short, don't be a dick."

Pretty much sums it up. Made me wonder if it was a Mustachian...

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2015, 08:17:10 AM »
Saw a different car than in my OP, same block, a Honda Fit with a bumper sticker (and no vanity plate). Sticker says:

Really?  Being a judgey dick kinda seems like a main tenant of Mustachianism.  I mean, look at the name of this particular subforum....

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2015, 08:23:38 AM »

Really?  Being a judgey dick kinda seems like a main tenant of Mustachianism.  I mean, look at the name of this particular subforum....

A judgey dick in a subforum isn't the same as being a wasteful dick or a keep up with the Joneses dick. But to each his/her own.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2015, 10:48:16 AM »

It's only impractical in terms of cargo capacity, and slightly in gas mileage. Other than that, it's about the cheapest legitimate sports car you can run this side of a Miata; maybe even cheaper since good S2ks are appreciating.
Eh. Tires are another cost issue. They aren't cheap and they don't last, rears especially. I went through a set of rear tires every 8,000 miles or so (fronts lasted about 15k) and I didn't drive like a douche on the street. And unfortunately, you really can't cheap out on tires on a car like this. It seems fundamental but people so often overlook that tires are the only thing that connects the car to the road, all the whiz bang doublewishbone VTEC doohickeys in the car are useless if the tires are shit.

So yea, for a sports car they're not bad, just don't go fooling yourself into thinking it'll be like running a RWD Civic. Economically speaking of course.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2015, 10:54:44 AM »

Eh. Tires are another cost issue. They aren't cheap and they don't last, rears especially. I went through a set of rear tires every 8,000 miles or so (fronts lasted about 15k) and I didn't drive like a douche on the street. And unfortunately, you really can't cheap out on tires on a car like this. It seems fundamental but people so often overlook that tires are the only thing that connects the car to the road, all the whiz bang doublewishbone VTEC doohickeys in the car are useless if the tires are shit.

So yea, for a sports car they're not bad, just don't go fooling yourself into thinking it'll be like running a RWD Civic. Economically speaking of course.

Meh, the frequency you replace the rears is high, but the tires are cheap, all things considered.  I usually pay ~$125-150 per rear tire, and rears go at the rate of 2-3:1 to fronts.  Right now I'm running Direzza IIs, which I paid ~$130/tire for.  Not bad, all things considered.  Agree on the 8-10k mile lifespan in the rear. 

I consider that extra $300 a year dirt cheap to drive the car I want versus something like a Civic (which I drove in college).

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »
Also since I drive around 2000 miles a year tires aren't a huge concern.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2015, 02:16:39 PM »

I wonder which would be cheaper in the long run: the S2000 (because of appreciation) or the Miata (because of lower initial cost and slightly cheaper tires)?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »

I wonder which would be cheaper in the long run: the S2000 (because of appreciation) or the Miata (because of lower initial cost and slightly cheaper tires)?

It's probably mostly a push.  Tires aren't going to be THAT much cheaper on a Miata, maybe $100 versus $150/tire, you're talking $100 a year maybe.  And buy in versus sell off, I'd expect neither a middle-aged (used) Miata nor an S2000 to depreciate significantly versus selling price, so if you buy in at $5k and sell at $5k or buy in at $12k and sell at $14k, it's not that different.  I'd say if you are interested in both cars, TCO is close enough to not be a factor.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2015, 09:34:57 AM »

Well, if we are playing that game... As a Honda fanatic myself ... I'd say the Miata is available in abundance and already super cheap on the local CL. The S2000's are pretty cheap now for gen 1 (ap1) unless it's lower miles or such.

I'd say two better options then either of those cars would be 

A - 1997-2000 Acura Integra Type R - Obviously super fun to drive and they keep appreciating in value. The are becoming more and more rare. Of course it also comes with the insurance premium due to high theft.

B - 2004-2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Fun car and a few mods easily gives you 300 AWP. Sucks on gas, but this car also seems to keep appreciating.

I love the S2000 and think the Miata is a fun to drive car also. So not anti either of those cars, just throwing out my two cents. :)

ps - I've got a 1992 Honda Civic hatchback that is modified as my car. :o

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »

Well, if we are playing that game... As a Honda fanatic myself ... I'd say the Miata is available in abundance and already super cheap on the local CL. The S2000's are pretty cheap now for gen 1 (ap1) unless it's lower miles or such.

A - 1997-2000 Acura Integra Type R - Obviously super fun to drive and they keep appreciating in value. The are becoming more and more rare. Of course it also comes with the insurance premium due to high theft.

B - 2004-2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Fun car and a few mods easily gives you 300 AWP. Sucks on gas, but this car also seems to keep appreciating.

I love the S2000 and think the Miata is a fun to drive car also. So not anti either of those cars, just throwing out my two cents. :)

ITR is a GREAT car, but a clean one is going to cost 75-100% more than an AP1 S2000 ($20-25k versus about $12k) and tons more than a clean Miata (From $2500 and up).  ITR is appreciating even faster than an S2000, however, I'll give you that. 

Also, neither of the choices offered is a convertible, which for me, is a prime requirement in a sports car. 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »

The only trouble is that none of those alternatives qualify as RWD 2-seat roadsters, which was what I was specifically looking for. If I only wanted something to maximize fun per dollar I'd get something like a 4th or 5th-gen Corvette, 3-series BMW, or Honda CRX (or indeed, Civic hatch). Actually, I wouldn't: I'd just drive the non-RWD, non-convertible fun car I already have, my modded VW TDI.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »
Are they actually going up, or just holding value? I had one from 2011 to 2013. Bought for $14,500, IIRC, a pretty good price for a dealer, and sold privately (excellent condition, tiny cosmetic flaws) for $12K after being offered $10K in trade. MSRP was $32,400 new (invoice $29,xxx).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2015, 10:09:53 AM »
Are they actually going up, or just holding value? I had one from 2011 to 2013. Bought for $14,500, IIRC, a pretty good price for a dealer, and sold privately (excellent condition, tiny cosmetic flaws) for $12K after being offered $10K in trade. MSRP was $32,400 new (invoice $29,xxx).

Depends on your starting point.  Currently they are going up in value, as good, clean ones are getting harder and harder to find.  I paid $22k for mine back in '07, and at one point figured it was worth about $10k, but now I'd expect to get minimum $12k for it, and with a little work (respray the front to get rid of the rock chips, fix the small slit in the top I never use) I could probably get $15k.  Mine's a red 2003 (last year of the AP1) with 105k on it.  Aside from the two mentioned issues, it's basically in perfect condition.