Author Topic: Guy buys his dad a car, I get really anxious  (Read 3476 times)

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Guy buys his dad a car, I get really anxious
« on: June 07, 2014, 07:28:09 PM »
This was a very sweet story and I completely misted up while watching the video but the second it was over I started to get a rush of anxiety about how the car was purchased. Was it cash? Please tell me they didn't finance it! Did the other sibling help with the cost? Frugality trumps sentimentality in the end.
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/8-yr-old-son-promises-dad-57-chevy-185514213.html

viper155

• Bristles
Re: Guy buys his dad a car, I get really anxious
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 11:30:05 PM »
Who cares how it was purchased? That is worth every damn penny! That is a very SMALL way to "payback" a great Father. [I do hope it was cash, though]

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
I thought he mentioned working lots of overtime in the video

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:55:16 PM »

To save up the cash for a car?  Or because he has outrageous debts from financing stuff like this?  It's not clear.

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »
Apparently he lives in my city, and has a reddit thread on the topic.  Not sure how much info is there though  -

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/27gycw/57_chevy_on_his_57th_birthday_a_promise_i_made_to/ci0oqni

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »

To save up the cash for a car?  Or because he has outrageous debts from financing stuff like this?  It's not clear.
60 hours a week in a factory to afford it, is what he said. I think it's just straight-up legit. Also, this, from his Reddit, kinda says it all:

"My dad has been everything to me, he is not my biological father but he IS my father. But this man in this video, my DAD my FATHER, was the best thing that ever happened to me and my mom and I hope I can be a fraction of the man that he is. My real father abandoned me and my mother when I was a child, so I understand to a degree how some of you in the comments feel and I am sorry if this video was hurtful in any way."