Author Topic: Great jobs for people over 50  (Read 4485 times)

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
Great jobs for people over 50
« on: November 28, 2012, 09:59:18 AM »
http://www.9news.com/news/article/301841/188/Great-jobs-for-people-over-50
People are heatlhier so they'll live longer and thus work longer because we all want to work for as long as we possibly can. Has nothing to do with working so long because you have no retirement savings and lots of debt.

Why not talk about ways to retire early instead?

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
Re: Great jobs for people over 50
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »
Because not everyone wants to retire early?  (Or in my case, at all.)  So even leaving out the people who're already in that age group without the financial resources to retire, there's obviously a market for books of this nature.

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »
Why not talk about ways to retire early instead?

Because for a ton of people, it's already too late.
A huge percentage of people in their 50s still need to work and will need to work for a long time, so this article is still relevant. I know both my parents can't retire and won't retire in the next 20 years. Heck, my mom is working two minimum wage part-time jobs at the same time.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
Sorry, maybe I should say financial independence. I won't stop working either, I'll just work when I want on things I want.

It's never too late to talk about frugality, saving money, lowering your bills, and paying debt. FI is a lot more than just ER, it's a different way of living and managing yourself/family.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 02:53:46 PM »
It's never too late to talk about frugality, saving money, lowering your bills, and paying debt. FI is a lot more than just ER, it's a different way of living and managing yourself/family.

Sure, it's just that frugality and finding jobs past 50 (or whenever) are two different things.  Indeed, I would guess that a lot of us who've been frugal are the ones who'd want to keep working at something productive, even though we might not need to financially.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
My Dad is 60 and has exactly zero retirement savings. He is currently living off SS disability and some sort of long-term disability from work, and hopes to skate it out till 62 when he can apply for medicare early.  I was hoping this article would have actual information, but it didn't.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »
Yeah, my parents are both in the same boat, no retirement or savings at all. My in-laws have some savings but I don't think anything tucked away for retirement since they both complain about working until their 70. They're both 60 now and I'm hoping to be FI before they retire. I've tried to talk about the investment strategies I've read here and on other FI/ER sites but they just shrug it off. They are unwilling to make any significant life changes to bolster savings as well. They do well enough by keeping consumer debt down but they're straddled with a large mortgage and two car payments. I'm sure they don't look to me as any sort of authority after the dumb financial decisions my wife and I made in the past.