Author Topic: Graze.com: $6 per week for snacks in the mail  (Read 9822 times)

Edward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Graze.com: $6 per week for snacks in the mail
« on: March 04, 2014, 04:49:16 AM »
For $6 every week Graze.com (http://www.graze.com/us/) will mail you a cardboard carton containing four plastic boxes of snacks. You rate the snacks and they use your preferences to decide what snacks you get in the future. The marketing material shows pictures of healthy snacks, but they also offer chocolate and other candy.

Or you could buy a big bag of nuts at the grocery store. Less expensive and less unnecessary packaging.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Graze.com: $6 per week for snacks in the mail
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:58:48 PM »
For $6 every week Graze.com (http://www.graze.com/us/) will mail you a cardboard carton containing four plastic boxes of snacks. You rate the snacks and they use your preferences to decide what snacks you get in the future. The marketing material shows pictures of healthy snacks, but they also offer chocolate and other candy.

Or you could buy a big bag of nuts at the grocery store. Less expensive and less unnecessary packaging.

Oh, I thought at first it would be something where they would pay ME to sample and rate the products...

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:08:18 PM »
Most of those look like things you could get from bulk bins at the store too, probably for far less per lb.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I signed up for 6 months.  If you want, you can use my referral code:  XJEIN4DK

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 05:29:18 PM »
I am sad to report that I was a subscriber for a brief period of time back when they launched in the UK (this must have been around 2009). The concept looked great on paper but it was definitely aimed at the skinny girl who introduced me to it, not someone with swim practice 4 times a week. I went back to using my few spare monies to purchase store brand pasta after 3 just deliveries.

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »
I just buy dried fruit and nuts when I can find them on sale; if not, I get them at Costco.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:32:06 AM »
idk, the amount in the box on the picture doesn't look nearly worth 6$.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »
I just saw that my roommate gets it. Haven't asked him how much it costs, but I do know that when he was gone for the past week it was sitting on a table waiting for him, and that when he came back, it was consumed in a single sitting, so it can't be that substantive. What I could see is that it have a lot of nuts.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »
I tried it on some discount offer when it rolled out in the states (so, like, $3/box). The snacks were fun but I only really liked about 1 in 4, plus portions were tiny. I agree with the point that this is "meant" for someone on a diet and likes to spend money.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 07:03:03 PM »
These "box of the week/month" things just stress me out. I used to subscribe to a couple (facepunch, I know), and dealing with putting stuff away as well as all the waste and cardboard was really irritating.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »
A bunch of dates and nuts will cost you about $15. They can last you for a month or so if you eat about 300 calories worth of them a day. I know, because I do it.

myteafix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »
These subscription boxes are such a waste. That's more money than buying four snacks from an already-overpriced vending machine.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »
Is this a viable business model? It feels like 1999 all over again.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »

Agreed. I just don't see how you can get the volume to make this profitable.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »

Strange how it can simultaneously be a ripoff and not profitable enough.  Maybe these things are just a front for UPS.  They must use some king of edge server to provide snack delivery from a local distribution point.  I call it a "snack distribution network" or "SDN"

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 07:05:37 PM »

Strange how it can simultaneously be a ripoff and not profitable enough.  Maybe these things are just a front for UPS.  They must use some king of edge server to provide snack delivery from a local distribution point.  I call it a "snack distribution network" or "SDN"

:D

But I think the point was that while the profit per unit is probably decent, it's doubtful they can get enough volume to have a good business going, particularly when most of their expenses are wrapped up in shipping and sourcing the food items. They need volume to get the volume discounts to make it work, and this seems like it has limited appeal. But perhaps I underestimate the American consumer.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 08:05:37 AM »
You are underestimating how dumb Americans are I've seen dozens of these on desks around my engineering offices

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 08:58:11 AM »
purchased this as a gift for our engineering sister in law; would never buy for myself.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
My mom actually got a free trial of this once and was all excited about it.  We got it, opened it and were immediately thoroughly disappointed.  We didn't like most of the snacks in the box, and they were all so small that we ate whatever we wanted in 1 sitting and threw the rest out.  No thanks.  I'll just go buy some fun stuff from the bulk bins at the store.  Even a large box or bag of snacks from the snack isle would be better.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
Question: Are any "monthly membership" things worthwhile? I know that there are coffee, bacon, cheese, and more monthly things where people will either by a subscription for 6 or 12 months or do it on a month to month basis, and sometimes give these out as gifts, but are they ever a good value?

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 02:14:31 PM »
Question: Are any "monthly membership" things worthwhile? I know that there are coffee, bacon, cheese, and more monthly things where people will either by a subscription for 6 or 12 months or do it on a month to month basis, and sometimes give these out as gifts, but are they ever a good value?

Nope, it's always cheaper to buy in bulk and store up, rather than a monthly subscription (which includes shipping costs).

Only subscription I'm a part of is an online streaming service.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »

They could start delivering them by drone.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 01:21:03 AM »

If you're really into coffee and care about the 2-week freshness window of single-origin high-quality roasted coffee -- and like me, have no quality local roasters within 2 hours of your tiny Northern city -- then yes.

Otherwise no :)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 02:01:47 PM »

If you're really into coffee and care about the 2-week freshness window of single-origin high-quality roasted coffee -- and like me, have no quality local roasters within 2 hours of your tiny Northern city -- then yes.

Otherwise no :)

I can understand wanting coffee that is that fresh, but does that necesitate a monthly membership? I'm curious to hear about the breakdown, like if it is more or less than if you would buy the coffee on your own. Of course, I imagine that the monthly service offers variety and might even offer some single origin coffee beans that are unavailable or extremely rare.

Have you ever thought about buying unroasted (green I think they are called?) and roasting them yourself? One of my friends did that after he started to love coffee after working at Dunn Brothers (which roasts its coffee at each location each day or something like that- I'm not a big coffee person).