Author Topic: Gourmet Foods you just gotta have at Whole Foods  (Read 3510 times)

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
Gourmet Foods you just gotta have at Whole Foods
« on: September 04, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
Is it okay to post links here? This is not my blog. I just found it online. Complete with pictures and stories of a shopping trip to WF.

http://elitedaily.com/envision/whole-foods-expensive-food/1173730/

1) blueberry pancake flavored pork sausage - $3.99 a pound.

2) Asparagus water. 4 stalks of asparagus in a jar of water makes "Asparagus Water". Sells for $5.99

3) Pint of ice cream (kale, pear and banana flavored)  - $9.99

4) Truffles - $93.00 each

5) tiny air plants. $69.99 each.

6) 16 oz jar of almond butter.  $23.99

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Gourmet Foods you just gotta have at Whole Foods
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 02:20:13 PM »
Quote from: Chesleygirl

I had to read the article to actually understand what this meant... and I still don't get the point of mixing fruit and meat flavors.

2) Asparagus water. 4 stalks of asparagus in a jar of water makes "Asparagus Water". Sells for $5.99

LOL.

3) Pint of ice cream (kale, pear and banana flavored)  - $9.99

Just my opinion, but ice cream should be sweet. Kale-flavored? (Then again, I've never found chocolate ice cream to be sweet, which is why I never eat it.) So I'm supposed to eat my veggies (which I do anyway) in ice cream format rather than enjoy sweet ice cream? Makes me wonder if, a generation from now, kids will all hate ice cream, since the only flavors are things like kale.

I have a philosophical objection to "fake food". If I want almonds, I can buy almonds. If I want butter, I can buy butter. If I want "vegan butter", I can buy margarine. Why do I need almond margarine, and why isn't it called almond margarine?

I get why people make fun of Whole Foods. I hope there's reasonably-priced food choices there.

Wait. BONELESS WATERMELON? I assume that's labelled incorrectly, because otherwise I fear for the future of retail.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:22:26 PM by Kimera757 »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »

I have a philosophical objection to "fake food". If I want almonds, I can buy almonds. If I want butter, I can buy butter. If I want "vegan butter", I can buy margarine. Why do I need almond margarine, and why isn't it called almond margarine?

What's your opinion of peanut butter? That's what almond butter is, just a different nut.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 03:03:08 PM »
Almonds are more expensive than peanuts, which is why almond butter cost more. But at WF, it's way over priced in my opinion.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »
Almonds are more expensive than peanuts, which is why almond butter cost more. But at WF, it's way over priced in my opinion.

Oh, I agree, on both costs. Almond butter is always more expensive. Whole Foods has an "I'm better than the typical grocery store peon" markup.

But almond butter isn't a fake food. That's a weird thing to say.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »

I get why people make fun of Whole Foods. I hope there's reasonably-priced food choices there.

Not much that is reasonable.

Also, that "artisan" label is another thing used to justify  jacking up prices. It could mean the difference between paying $2.00 for something or $10.00.

I never knew what artisan meant anyway. Does that make it special?

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 05:07:24 AM »

What's your opinion of peanut butter? That's what almond butter is, just a different nut.
Is that it?

(I don't like peanut butter, but not because it would be mistaken for butter.)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 06:34:10 AM »

Also, that "artisan" label is another thing used to justify  jacking up prices. It could mean the difference between paying $2.00 for something or $10.00.

Artisan usually means crafted in small batches.
Would you rather own a scribble by Picasso or a scribble by my 2-year old niece.  For me, I don't collect art, everything hanging in our home either my husband or I have created, so clearly, we aren't "art" types, and we aren't "artisan" types for our food either.  (He makes delicious "artisan" bread himself though)

When I was in middle school, it was "cool" to go shop at Whole Foods and Book People. I had no idea Whole Foods was a chain, since this was the original location, and it wasn't yet a public company.  Then central market opened and it was way cheaper and just as awesome. Way to go HEB for making "cool" food less expensive.  I miss Central Market now that I don't live in Austin. Whole Foods, not so much.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 06:51:45 AM »

Is that it?

(I don't like peanut butter, but not because it would be mistaken for butter.)

Haha. Given the inexplicable popularity of almond "milk", I can see how you might confuse almond butter for a dairy substitute rather than an alternative to peanut butter. Still makes me chuckle, though. FWIW, almond butter is good, but not good enough for me to buy it ($$$).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 07:09:52 AM »
Both almond butter and peanut butter are pretty easy to make.  Roast nuts, grind to paste.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 07:56:54 AM »
Their buttery donuts filled with Nutella or something like it..I think they're $2.99 apiece. 

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 08:39:08 AM »

Artisan usually means crafted in small batches.

OK. I didn't know. I just see Artisan on so many labels now.

A lot of the photographs of food at WF, featured on that blog, grossed me out. Especially the fish. I literally lost my appetite thinking about it. I don't think I'll ever want to go back to Whole Foods again.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 09:02:18 AM »
Quote from: Chesleygirl

I had to read the article to actually understand what this meant... and I still don't get the point of mixing fruit and meat flavors.

Certain combinations of fruit and meat are incredible, particularly with pork. Pork's a pretty sweet meat and pairs well with additional sweet flavors that come from fruits.
Pork and apples? Amazing!