Author Topic: Good ol' Carmax Helping People Spend Money  (Read 8764 times)

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
Good ol' Carmax Helping People Spend Money
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:40:54 PM »
Carmax felt the urge to alleviate my burden of possibly having a tax refund. Here is the email's subject:
Coolistdude, refund burning a hole in your pocket? We can help!

So glad someone can help me spend money!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Re: Good ol' Carmax Helping People Spend Money
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »
Has anybody, even once in history, sat around with a sizable check or a fat wad of cash going: "Gee, I really don't know what to do with this"?

Why do advertisers pretend that it happens, or suggest that it's happening to us? Are they trying to create a fake problem so they can market a solution, like what happened with Restless Leg Syndrome?

In my experience, human nature is to say: "Hmm, if I ever get some money that I don't need for something more important (like the 'Stache), I'm going to..." As a species, we spend a lot of time coming up with ideas and then shoving them up our asses. Then, when an opportunity strikes, we can reach down, pull an idea out of our ass, and either go with it or have something to start seriously considering.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:00:27 PM »
Heard a radio ad this morning that Aaron's are having their 61st anniversary sale. (How apt that it is during "refund season".) Advert mentions that they will get you the best deal for your refund dollars.

Yeah right!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 02:45:51 PM »
Has anybody, even once in history, sat around with a sizable check or a fat wad of cash going: "Gee, I really don't know what to do with this"?

Quite a few actually, if you were to peruse the "overheard" threads.  I've known a couple folks who could not for the life of them hang onto extra money at the end of the month.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 02:48:16 PM »

Quite a few actually, if you were to peruse the "overheard" threads.  I've known a couple folks who could not for the life of them hang onto extra money at the end of the month.

In which case I'm sure they found something to do with it pretty quickly. If they really had no idea, cash and checks would be piling up in odd corners of people's houses like excess magazines.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »

In which case I'm sure they found something to do with it pretty quickly. If they really had no idea, cash and checks would be piling up in odd corners of people's houses like excess magazines.

Generally every so often I'll find someone extra money in my bank account. When that happens I tend to either send it to Vanguard or pay down my mortgage. Of course, this only happens after I have a comfortable cushion in my account for any unexpected bills.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »

You're right, they didn't need any outside help deciding what to do with it.  We do have quite a culture in the US of inventing things and convincing people their lives suck without it.

coolistdude

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 08:36:55 PM »

You're right, they didn't need any outside help deciding what to do with it.  We do have quite a culture in the US of inventing things and convincing people their lives suck without it.

You've cracked the code! Now you must sell it to the have-nots with a clickbait title.

It's like common sense skipped a couple generations in America. Like having money is really a problem. What's sad is that the email generator probably looked at my age and sized me up as a ditsy recent grad looking for an excuse to buy a newish car.

On an unrelated note, the president of my company has a new car again. They don't drive Mercedes, but was the 6 month old Subaru really needing replacing? They get one about every 6 months. Maybe they get an email saying "Does your car have over 5000 miles! We can help!"

coolistdude

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 08:41:05 PM »

You've cracked the code! Now you must sell it to the have-nots with a clickbait title.

It's like common sense skipped a couple generations in America. Like having money is really a problem. What's sad is that the email generator probably looked at my age and sized me up as a ditsy recent grad looking for an excuse to buy a newish car.

On an unrelated note, the president of my company has a new car again. They don't drive Mercedes, but was the 6 month old Subaru really needing replacing? They get one about every 6 months. Maybe they get an email saying "Does your car have over 5000 miles! We can help!"

Or maybe: "Does your car need an oil change? We can help!"

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 08:48:51 PM »
Wait...you mean that little sticker on my windshield with a date on it isn't there to tell me when it's to go buy a new car? damn...no wonder I'm broke!

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 10:42:55 AM »
Ha, I got an email from Best Buy saying basically the same thing. "Blow all of your refund on new tech at Best Buy!"

coolistdude

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 10:57:41 AM »
Wait...you mean that little sticker on my windshield with a date on it isn't there to tell me when it's to go buy a new car? damn...no wonder I'm broke!

This made DW and I laugh a lot..and yet some people live like that.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 11:12:53 AM »
I got the same e-mail the other day and laughed! Funnily enough, my DH works for Carmax (great company to work for, btw). OP, did you perhaps browse for a car on their website recently? I had looked several weeks back, just for shits and giggles, and DH said that's probably why I received the e-mail. I am also on their Carmax Careers notification list though, so I imagine that's related to it as well.

coolistdude

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 11:29:23 AM »
I got the same e-mail the other day and laughed! Funnily enough, my DH works for Carmax (great company to work for, btw). OP, did you perhaps browse for a car on their website recently? I had looked several weeks back, just for shits and giggles, and DH said that's probably why I received the e-mail. I am also on their Carmax Careers notification list though, so I imagine that's related to it as well.

A couple years ago I considered selling my 2000 Corolla and went in. They got some of my basic info. I'm a bit burned with our local Carmax. They broke my exterior passenger door handle and didn't offer to even to buy the part for me to repair. They also gave me a lower offer than cash for clunkers, which I did about a month ago. I haven't given any info on their website.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
I know its all an automated mailing list, but it kills me whenever I buy something (or browse online) and moments later I'm getting emails for the thing I just bought!  Two years ago I bought a new computer monitor on Amazon, and my google ads for the next week were the exact same item.  You'd think that algorithm would at least post a different product to shove in my face.  A couple years ago I sold a car to a dealership. Within 24 hours I was getting emails to buy a car from them.  The same thing with the car I just bought at a different dealership.  Um, guys?  This car is so new to me that it's still clean from the wash you put it through and you're asking if I want to buy another one?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
I know its all an automated mailing list, but it kills me whenever I buy something (or browse online) and moments later I'm getting emails for the thing I just bought!  Two years ago I bought a new computer monitor on Amazon, and my google ads for the next week were the exact same item.  You'd think that algorithm would at least post a different product to shove in my face.  A couple years ago I sold a car to a dealership. Within 24 hours I was getting emails to buy a car from them.  The same thing with the car I just bought at a different dealership.  Um, guys?  This car is so new to me that it's still clean from the wash you put it through and you're asking if I want to buy another one?

Funny, that doesn't happen to me. I also don't see the ads in the first place. Whitelisting Javascript and cross-site requests is wonderful.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »

YMMV but take a look at EFF's Privacy Badger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_Badger

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 02:53:25 PM »

YMMV but take a look at EFF's Privacy Badger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_Badger

Interesting. I have Adblock, but it doesn't get everything. I'll take a look.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »
We do have quite a culture in the US of inventing things and convincing people their lives suck without it.

*panic*

Wait, my life sucks if I don't have this thing?  What is it?  Where can I buy it?  I NEED THIS THING!!!!!  I don't even know what it is, but you've clearly convinced me that my life sucks without it.  I'll just send a blank check if that's OK...

**sigh**

I know its all an automated mailing list, but it kills me whenever I buy something (or browse online) and moments later I'm getting emails for the thing I just bought!

Facebook and eBay do a very nice job of reminding me about things I've literally just purchased.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 05:55:38 PM »
Refund? What tax refund?

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »
Why do advertisers pretend that it happens, or suggest that it's happening to us? Are they trying to create a fake problem so they can market a solution, like what happened with Restless Leg Syndrome?

Wait, what's the backstory about Restless Leg Syndrome?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 06:21:34 PM »

That tingle in your leg when you sit on your ass for too long? That's a serious disorder you never knew about until we invented the medication to treat it.

Chris Rock explains it best from :30 to about 1:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4jMfvht5gQ
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:24:51 PM by Travis »

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 02:50:33 AM »

This! I bought a new car from a dealership 3 years ago (I know, facepunch) - every few months I get an email from them trying to sell me the fancy new models of car? Was it such poor quality they expect it to have broken / me to want to get rid of it by now?

JPatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 06:51:39 AM »
Oh, I've had friends and roomates who couldn't wait to do their taxes, get a refund, then buy a bunch of new video games or treat themselves to a bunch of nice dinners with endless alcoholic beverages.

I prefer index funds and paying down debt!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 10:07:32 AM »

This! I bought a new car from a dealership 3 years ago (I know, facepunch) - every few months I get an email from them trying to sell me the fancy new models of car? Was it such poor quality they expect it to have broken / me to want to get rid of it by now?

3 years? Try 10. Three Honda stealerships asking buy back our 2006 Accord and Civic. I knew there was a catch....

Dealer: We'll only buy them if I agree to purchase a new or CPO off their lot.
Me: So it's a trade in. How much are you offering on each?
Dealer: It isn't a trade in. We'll pay you $500 over KBB.
Me: So... ummm.... you'll take in my old car and I'll buy another from you. How is that different from a trade-in?
Dealer: We handle it as a separate sale.
Me: Six of one, half-dozen of the other.
Dealer: Exactly. Whatever that means. (He actually said that)
Me: I'll go home, think about it, see you at the end-of-the-month.

I get the emails and snail mails every month. The Accord is at 130k. Civic is still a virgin at 90k.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »

That tingle in your leg when you sit on your ass for too long? That's a serious disorder you never knew about until we invented the medication to treat it.

Chris Rock explains it best from :30 to about 1:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4jMfvht5gQ

I can assure you, Restless Leg Syndrome IS a thing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!