Author Topic: Good News! Americans are driving more than ever.  (Read 5573 times)

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
Good News! Americans are driving more than ever.
« on: November 03, 2015, 08:20:34 PM »
Yeah, I love these articles:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/26/news/economy/americans-driving-all-time-high/index.html?iid=EL

Nice upbeat piece on this great sign for the economic recovery; the American Consumer (tm) comes to the rescue! 

The piece prompted me to look up this site with age and gender driving stats:

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Lots of other interesting driving, highway system, and crash statistics there. 

MrStash2000

• Stubble
Re: Good News! Americans are driving more than ever.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 08:51:45 PM »
The AVERAGE middle age male drives over 18000 miles?

SMH

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 07:38:54 AM »
"The focus has shifted now to the American consumer to help lift the economy."

Yay (sarcasm).

As I was watching all these bonehead drivers last night, I was thinking that I couldn't wait for the price of gas to go back up. 

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 10:26:48 AM »
The AVERAGE middle age male drives over 18000 miles?

SMH

I bought a new car in 2013 (fine, facepunch me), and needed to get the oil changed earlier this summer. It had about 22,000 miles on it in 29 months of ownership, and the person taking down the information was like, "Wow, you've got some amazingly low mileage on this car!"

And here I had been thinking that it was a ton because we use it for lots of long distance trips in California (including several for work). If I took out all those trips, it'd probably be around 12,000. I can't even fathom 18,000 in a single year. Where are these people driving to?!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 11:11:11 AM »
If you live 40 miles from home that's...

40 mi X 2 trips/day X 5 trips per week X 50 weeks per year =  20,000 miles/yr.

Lots of people have commutes that are 40+ miles.  Easy to see how the average person drives that much.  Of course I think living 40 miles away from a place you go nearly every day is insane, but it's totally reasonable to most people.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »
It will be interesting to see what happens in another few years when the price of oil rebounds and you're paying twice as much to fill up.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »
My FIL, a middle-aged male, drives approximately 100,000 miles a year. Guys like that bring that average up.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 12:54:51 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens in another few years when the price of oil rebounds and you're paying twice as much to fill up.

If it happens slowly, probably nothing.  The Katrina spike was hard and fast enough to get people to drive less.  I was living in a 1 million+ population city at the time and the change was quite noticeable.  Too bad gas had to hit $4 a gallon to make it happen, it was very nice!

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 12:56:02 PM »
My FIL, a middle-aged male, drives approximately 100,000 miles a year. Guys like that bring that average up.

We have a guy who works with me who lives in Brunswick, GA.  86 miles one way.  We were having a beer at a co-worker's retirement celebration last week when he mentions this; he said, "Yeah, I really need to think about getting my house ready to sell, but I like my neighborhood!"  I asked him if he ever sees it in the daylight.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »

Some of us really don't like to ask for directions when we get lost.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »

I should probably disclose that he owns a water delivery route. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse, though it does bring in a good amount of money.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 01:05:18 PM »

I should probably disclose that he owns a water delivery route. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse, though it does bring in a good amount of money.

Unless he lives in one of the areas of the country without access to tap water, it makes it even worse.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »
My FIL has a 2010 prius with 260,000 miles.  So I suppose he drives around 50,000 miles per year.  Yes I realize how ridiculous it is, and i've attempted to talk to them about it, but they are set in their ways and won't listen to reason.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »

Unless he lives in one of the areas of the country without access to tap water, it makes it even worse.

I'd estimate half his sales are to oil workers, wind generator construction, that kind of thing. The water in town around there does have enough arsenic that it is not recommended that pregnant women drink it.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
    I am driving more...up to 4,000 miles..... but that's because of trips to enjoy my retirement and, sadly, a funeral which counted for 1/4 of the mileage. 

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »

Ha, well played :)

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
If you live 40 miles from home that's... you REALLY need to move...;-)

Lots of people have commutes that are 40+ miles.  Easy to see how the average person drives that much.  Of course I think living 40 miles away from a place you go nearly every day is insane, but it's totally reasonable to most people.

ftfy

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »
If you live 40 miles from home that's...

Crap, I can even imagine living 40 miles from home.  I'd change the name of wherever I was living to "home" just to avoid that.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 12:16:55 PM »
"Yo mama's so fat, she lived 40 miles from home!"

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »

Gotta make money somehow, though... If it wasn't for the consumerist lifestyle in the US, a lot of us wouldn't have jobs at all. :(

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!