Author Topic: God forbid I give up HBO  (Read 9316 times)

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
God forbid I give up HBO
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:39:06 AM »
http://www.startribune.com/student-loans-interest-rates-keep-borrowers-in-the-hole/336437521/

Guy digs himself almost $90k in debt and blames everyone but himself. (Yes, maybe colleges are expensive but I got through college with $20k in debt and paid it off in less than 1 yr after graduation so I'm not too sympathetic). Highlight of the article for me was: "And those other repayment plans sucked anyway. Could I afford a little higher payment if I cut out some social outings, canceled next summer’s travel plans, and scratched my monthly subscriptions to HBO and the WWE Network? Yeah, probably. But I enjoy those things, and I don’t want to sacrifice the quality of life that I enjoy today just so I can pay my loans off by the time I’m 48 as opposed to 52."

By my quick calculation the loans are going to take another 33 years to get paid off IF he cut out a few things and came up with an extra $50 a month that would save 8 YEARS not just 4. Realistically he could probably trim at least $200 from his monthly budget which would save another 10 years. Articles like this just make me angry.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
Re: God forbid I give up HBO
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:53:40 AM »
Another garbage article from a garbage "news" organization. 

edit: 

I live in Minneapolis and actually attended Mankato State for a few years.  Mankato costs about $7k per year for tuition.  For somebody to rack up 89k in debt going there is absolutely ridiculous.  This person obviously took out big loans to pay for all living expenses.  Mankato is also a shit-hole place to live where there are no jobs, so I am not very surprised.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:57:17 AM by humbleMouse »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
noteL double posted, also being discussed under "Student Loan Math Complainy-Pants" thread.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »
I'm starting to hate some of these complainypants. They have a ton of debt, which I recognize sucks, but many of them spend more than I do and live far more extravegently than I do. I enjoy drinking but decided a month ago to give it up purely to reduce expenses. I find that I've been enjoying not drinking, if I want to drink, I can always go back to it, but it seems like for some of these people that even a modest change is too much for them. WWE and HBO? SMH

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 10:35:56 AM »
Just a side note:  When did having HBO become so common?

At least when I grew up the people who had HBO either were loaded and didn't care or they had pirated cable boxes and got it for free. 

Kudo's to HBO for getting broke just out of college 20 somethings to think they need HBO.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »
noteL double posted, also being discussed under "Student Loan Math Complainy-Pants" thread.

Sorry! Didn't see the original post due to being to angry after reading an article and needing to post about it to like-minded people immediately. Tried to take mine down and it wouldn't' let me...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 10:48:16 AM »

Kudo's to HBO for getting broke just out of college 20 somethings to think they need HBO.

Now you can get it without satellite, and I believe it's around $15/month, so while not cheap it isn't overly expensive like it was in the past. I love Game of Thrones, but will go to a friends house to watch it.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 11:17:42 AM »
I'm starting to hate some of these complainypants. They have a ton of debt, which I recognize sucks, but many of them spend more than I do and live far more extravegently than I do. I enjoy drinking but decided a month ago to give it up purely to reduce expenses. I find that I've been enjoying not drinking, if I want to drink, I can always go back to it, but it seems like for some of these people that even a modest change is too much for them. WWE and HBO? SMH

Your goal is to live more extravagantly than they do when winter finally comes and they scrimp for scraps due to poor planning.  Isn't that the point of the grasshopper and the ant?

So while some of my lower income contemporaries may have cable or better iPhones now, I'll be on top soon enough flying first class with a Rolex on my wrist and a BMW in my garage.  Which means I'll have to get a house with a garage eventually.

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 11:29:08 AM »

Your goal is to live more extravagantly than they do when winter finally comes and they scrimp for scraps due to poor planning.  Isn't that the point of the grasshopper and the ant?

nice.

So while some of my lower income contemporaries may have cable or better iPhones now, I'll be on top soon enough flying first class with a Rolex on my wrist and a BMW in my garage.  Which means I'll have to get a house with a garage eventually.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »
It sho' nuf is.
I don't think I could ever have enough money to want a Rolex. But hey, to each his own, I suppose.
Have you ever driven an i3?

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
I don't think I could ever have enough money to want a Rolex. But hey, to each his own, I suppose.

I have not gotten into luxury cars yet.  I'm still infatuated with planning my future luxury watches.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »

I have not gotten into luxury cars yet.  I'm still infatuated with planning my future luxury watches.
It's not really a luxury car. It's a speedy little carbon fiber hatchback that runs on a battery. Gets up to 100 miles on $2-3 worth of juice, with or without gas range extender. I took a little test drive last month (National Drive Electric Week).
They supposedly have much more on the way in that vein (something probably called an i5, bigger/faster).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »

It's not really a luxury car. It's a speedy little carbon fiber hatchback that runs on a battery. Gets up to 100 miles on $2-3 worth of juice, with or without gas range extender. I took a little test drive last month (National Drive Electric Week).
They supposedly have much more on the way in that vein (something probably called an i5, bigger/faster).

Yikes, that would be incredible. I saw someone driving a 3 wheeler, don't know the brand but I imagine that it gets great mileage.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 06:57:53 PM »
Yeah, if ten billion dollars suddenly appeared in my bank account, I still wouldn't want a Rolex.  I don't "get" the watch obsession at all. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 07:14:47 PM »
I see every HBO show of worth.

It's just that I see it on DVD or I see it with my friend, on her Amazon Prime subscription.

HBO does some seriously good tv series.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »
... when winter finally comes ...

Everyone with HBO gets it.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 01:10:46 PM »
Yikes, that would be incredible. I saw someone driving a 3 wheeler, don't know the brand but I imagine that it gets great mileage.
A production model?
There's a bunch of weird 3-wheel stuff in development but I don't really know what's on the roads now.

Yeah, if ten billion dollars suddenly appeared in my bank account, I still wouldn't want a Rolex.  I don't "get" the watch obsession at all. 
I've had a couple in the $1-200 range, and I occasionally drool over Na Hoku's koa inlay watches (I grew up in HI). Maybe someday when I'm rich, maybe not. A watch that needs its own insurance policy? Man, I couldn't even enjoy wearing that. I'd be too worried about fargin' it up.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 01:43:30 PM »

I've had a couple in the $1-200 range, and I occasionally drool over Na Hoku's koa inlay watches (I grew up in HI). Maybe someday when I'm rich, maybe not. A watch that needs its own insurance policy? Man, I couldn't even enjoy wearing that. I'd be too worried about fargin' it up.

yeah, I really don't get the desire to own wrist-watches.  I've got a clock on my computer, one on my phone, a few clocks in various rooms in my house, a clock on my stove, my microwave has a clock (just in case I don't want to turn my head 15º to look at the stove),  my car has a clock and even on my TV has a clock.  Even the buses have clocks on them.   I don't see the point in schleping a clock on my wrist.

if you want a fancy sparkly bracelet, sure... but why incorporate a timepiece into the design at all?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »

yeah, I really don't get the desire to own wrist-watches.  I've got a clock on my computer, one on my phone, a few clocks in various rooms in my house, a clock on my stove, my microwave has a clock (just in case I don't want to turn my head 15º to look at the stove),  my car has a clock and even on my TV has a clock.  Even the buses have clocks on them.   I don't see the point in schleping a clock on my wrist.

if you want a fancy sparkly bracelet, sure... but why incorporate a timepiece into the design at all?

I find it useful in a few situations:

When I was out of the country and my phone didn't work.
When I am participating in water sport activities and can't have my phone on me.
When I am working and need to be able to tell time down to the second with both hands free and/or while talking on the phone.

I bought a water proof watch back in 2007 for like $20 and it's still serving me great.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »

Readers get it too.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 02:18:18 PM »

When I am participating in water sport activities and can't have my phone on me.
When I am working and need to be able to tell time down to the second with both hands free and/or while talking on the phone.

I bought a water proof watch back in 2007 for like $20 and it's still serving me great.
Oh, I agree that a watch can be useful, though I don't wear one on a daily basis.  What I don't understand is the desire to own a watch that costs thousands.  A $20-30 Timex can do all of the above. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »
Yeah, the attraction has mostly transcended functionality when you get above a $20 Timex. I used to make a point of wearing my Fossil ($120 or so, don't recall exactly) to work with my business attire. But it slipped a pin and flew off my wrist a couple of years ago, smashing its face on a city street, and I realized I no longer cared enough to get it fixed, even for free.

The few that still interest me are from an artistic sense - I'd probably barely wear them. So that may seem just as silly as a five-figure Rolex someday.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »

Oh, I agree that a watch can be useful, though I don't wear one on a daily basis.  What I don't understand is the desire to own a watch that costs thousands.  A $20-30 Timex can do all of the above.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at.  I  own a Timex as well which I use when I'm in the field and need to record the time when taking measurements.  Watches still have uses.  But as a super-fancy-expensive bracelet you wear almost all the time... i don't get it.

As for watersports - my pool has deck-clocks on either end. Meh.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »

Yeah, that's what I was getting at.  I  own a Timex as well which I use when I'm in the field and need to record the time when taking measurements.  Watches still have uses.  But as a super-fancy-expensive bracelet you wear almost all the time... i don't get it.

As for watersports - my pool has deck-clocks on either end. Meh.

mr fancy pants.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 07:10:18 AM »
Yeah, the attraction has mostly transcended functionality when you get above a $20 Timex. I used to make a point of wearing my Fossil ($120 or so, don't recall exactly) to work with my business attire. But it slipped a pin and flew off my wrist a couple of years ago, smashing its face on a city street, and I realized I no longer cared enough to get it fixed, even for free.

I really don't want this to happen to my nice watch ($350 - my last purchase before the Badassity started).   
It is funny how much MMM changes your mindset.  I felt fine about buying the watch because I paid with money I'd saved and it was a 'reward' for an arduous task.
*facepunch, facepunch, facepunch* 
A)  I'm in a flaming debt emergency, so how can I be 'saving' extra money?
B)  Why do I need to buy rewards? 

I love the watch, I'm not going to get rid of it - it serves as a reminder of who I've been for a long time and who I'm trying not to be.  But *facepunch*.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 08:08:55 AM »

Readers get it too.
Anyone who has used the internet in the last two years unfortunately gets it too.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2015, 08:18:33 AM »

mr fancy pants.

you, sir, just inspired me to watch my first episode of Duck Tales in about 20 years.
:-P