Author Topic: go fund me pages are none of my business and I need to let it go  (Read 3232 times)

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
I'm facebook friends with an old roommate from the college years and he is a high income, high level executive. One of his doctor friends (age 45) was killed on a camping trip and the wife is undergoing chemo. They posted a gofundme page on facebook and it showed up on my feed. The original goal was to raise $180,000 for funeral costs, chemo, counseling and general living expenses. Within 3 days, they were at $100,000 raised. Now another 3 days later, they have raised $535,000 with a new goal of $550,000.

Their high income friends are gladly contributing and who am I to rain on their parade. I personally think it is a little weird to have a gofundme page for a family that makes 500K to 600K/year, but it's none of my business. I just need to learn to let it go. It is actually very sad what happened to the dad.

charis

• Magnum Stache
Re: go fund me pages are none of my business and I need to let it go
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 10:30:33 PM »
The family makes 500-600k after the husband's death? Or that was their income previously?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 09:12:18 AM »
It seems like if people are paying any attention at all to the totals, it is to jump on a bandwagon.

Look at that page that raised tons because some entitled bitch posted herself freaking out at a barista. I am happy for the barista, but the numbers were ridiculous.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 09:11:55 AM »
I agree, OP, both that it's a very sad situation for the family and that you should not spend any time thinking about their gofundme.

At one extreme, maybe it's all a giant waste of money. At the other extreme, maybe the combo of death & cancer has made their income evaporate without cancelling their financial commitments, and the widow can't do much to address it because she's in chemo. Maybe somewhere in between. In any case, fretting about it won't help anyone. Just let it go.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 09:26:11 AM »
I saw something show up on a friend's FB page a few weeks ago about donating money for a baby goat in San Francisco that someone had abandoned. It had already raised something like $1,500.

I'm in Africa right now and that would buy a whole herd of goats here (they run about $40 a head). And they're not a cute pet, they're food (and milk). That same money here could have fed a village for a month but instead it will go to someone who probably makes fairly good money if they're living in San Francisco.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »
A well paid executive without health and life insurance?

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »
I saw something show up on a friend's FB page a few weeks ago about donating money for a baby goat in San Francisco that someone had abandoned. It had already raised something like $1,500.

I'm in Africa right now and that would buy a whole herd of goats here (they run about $40 a head). And they're not a cute pet, they're food (and milk). That same money here could have fed a village for a month but instead it will go to someone who probably makes fairly good money if they're living in San Francisco.

The moral of the story is that we need to set up animal-based go fund me pages in major cities that tolerate rampant homelessness.

And that's why I have the deal of a lifetime for you: Just click here: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3vpp25

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 02:00:55 PM »
I'm facebook friends with an old roommate from the college years and he is a high income, high level executive. One of his doctor friends (age 45) was killed on a camping trip and the wife is undergoing chemo. They posted a gofundme page on facebook and it showed up on my feed. The original goal was to raise $180,000 for funeral costs, chemo, counseling and general living expenses. Within 3 days, they were at $100,000 raised. Now another 3 days later, they have raised $535,000 with a new goal of $550,000.

Their high income friends are gladly contributing and who am I to rain on their parade. I personally think it is a little weird to have a gofundme page for a family that makes 500K to 600K/year, but it's none of my business. I just need to learn to let it go. It is actually very sad what happened to the dad.

Was this death in the news recently? I read about it. Tragic story, especially for the son.

But, yeah, a gofundme for a doctor (and not a primary care doctor, either), who was out in his new 4wd vehicle, is the epitome of being out of touch.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!