Author Topic: Give me Money: GoFundMe Campaigns  (Read 80427 times)

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
Re: Give me Money: GoFundMe Campaigns
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2018, 01:28:09 PM »
Husband probably has useful skills now that he's on his 13th trip; that's great. 

You'd think that, but wife had to post for help to put together a plastic Step 2 playhouse a couple of years ago because she and her husband are "not handy at all."

This just keeps getting better.

I've always had a problem with people asking for money for these trips but I would give one defense of the benefits. I think the real positive that comes from sending people to poorer parts of the world isn't the labor they provide but that it may open their eyes a bit. I suspect if everyone did this once in their lives it would bring the world a little closer together and increase compassion towards less fortunate parts of the world.

Which is exactly why I think the husband going on his 13th trip is the worst part of your story. He's had the experience, now he's just wasting money to go on feel good trips. If you spend your own money on that in lieu of vacations then that's great. Taking donations that could go directly to those in need, not so much.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »
A Facebook friend acquaintance who lives in NYC recently accepted a job in SoCal and has set up a GFM to pay for his move. It actually says under the cause description "maxing my credit cards and working overtime won't be enough to cover my moving expenses". How ridiculous to accept a job on the other side of the country when you don't have the money to get there. Although i question how much money it really takes a single early 20s guy to move anywhere...

He originally asked for 6k and has since dropped it to 3.5k. Still, nobody has donated.

It's expensive to move cross country with professionals. It would most likely be cheaper to buy new furnishings when you get to the destination.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2018, 02:47:13 PM »
Husband probably has useful skills now that he's on his 13th trip; that's great. 

You'd think that, but wife had to post for help to put together a plastic Step 2 playhouse a couple of years ago because she and her husband are "not handy at all."

Oh dear.  I had imagined the husband as a handy contractor/plumber/electrician/mechanic type who would be very useful on these trips and therefore the church is happy to have him go every year.  This is just sad now.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2018, 03:20:54 PM »

Oh dear.  I had imagined the husband as a handy contractor/plumber/electrician/mechanic type who would be very useful on these trips and therefore the church is happy to have him go every year.  This is just sad now.

There's hope. Maybe he's got a Ph.D in nursing and teaches classes on basic midwifery, CPR, or first aid the way my cousin does. She works through an interpreter, and in rural areas being able to help the local service providers maintain or upgrade their skills makes a big, instant impact on quality of life. A doctor, optometrist, or dentist could work through an interpreter when needed. Or perhaps he's fluent in the local language(s) and can handle in-country logistics. If he speaks Nahuatl, for example, that's a useful and rare thing because there are folks who don't speak any Spanish and who have hardly ever heard English. Having a fluent speaker on a vaccination team can really help build trust.

avalanchecity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »
my favorite gofundme request i've seen so far was for cello lessons. the description was something like, "it's always been a dream of mine to own a cello and to be able to afford lessons! seeing all my friends dream big with gofundme has really inspired me to seriously pursue my own dream! please help fund the purchase of my cello and six months of lessons."

she was only raising about a thousand dollars, so it was either a pretty cheap cello or pretty cheap lessons, but still. "my friends didn't have to work to attain their dreams, so now my hand's out for something i didn't have to earn too! please purchase this thing i in no way need but don't feel like saving up for."

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2018, 07:29:15 PM »

There's hope. Maybe he's got a Ph.D in nursing and teaches classes on basic midwifery, CPR, or first aid the way my cousin does. She works through an interpreter, and in rural areas being able to help the local service providers maintain or upgrade their skills makes a big, instant impact on quality of life. A doctor, optometrist, or dentist could work through an interpreter when needed. Or perhaps he's fluent in the local language(s) and can handle in-country logistics. If he speaks Nahuatl, for example, that's a useful and rare thing because there are folks who don't speak any Spanish and who have hardly ever heard English. Having a fluent speaker on a vaccination team can really help build trust.

Of course!  I'm going to hold on to this glimmer of hope, and I'm retroactively shocked at myself for not thinking of this - I know several nurses that do annual mission trips for vaccination and basic health appointments in third world country.

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2018, 09:23:03 AM »
A Facebook friend acquaintance who lives in NYC recently accepted a job in SoCal and has set up a GFM to pay for his move. It actually says under the cause description "maxing my credit cards and working overtime won't be enough to cover my moving expenses". How ridiculous to accept a job on the other side of the country when you don't have the money to get there. Although i question how much money it really takes a single early 20s guy to move anywhere...

He originally asked for 6k and has since dropped it to 3.5k. Still, nobody has donated.

It's expensive to move cross country with professionals. It would most likely be cheaper to buy new furnishings when you get to the destination.
Agreed. But if he's got so much stuff that he needs professional movers then he has a serious problem.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »

Agreed. But if he's got so much stuff that he needs professional movers then he has a serious problem.

A cross-country trip with a 26 foot U-Haul can still be $3k+ on short notice and NYC in particular is a HCOL area. I still don't see how a bit of overtime and some credit cards wouldn't make it possible for a reasonably motivated person.

Sometimes an employer will pay relocation expenses.

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
https://www.gofundme.com/sjnad935        https://www.gofundme.com/sjnad935

If this is real it is hilarious...fund the Alabama state government?

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »
Saw someone I went to high school with post a GFM on Facebook last week. It said "My husband and I both work (and love our jobs!) but just find it so hard to make ends meet each month. Anyone want to chip in? Every dollar helps!"

Literally someone just asking random people on Facebook to give her and her husband their hard-earned money, not because of extenuating circumstances or because they are out of jobs or because they might lose their home... just to make their lives easier.

Mind blown.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2018, 02:41:39 PM »
Saw someone I went to high school with post a GFM on Facebook last week. It said "My husband and I both work (and love our jobs!) but just find it so hard to make ends meet each month. Anyone want to chip in? Every dollar helps!"

Literally someone just asking random people on Facebook to give her and her husband their hard-earned money, not because of extenuating circumstances or because they are out of jobs or because they might lose their home... just to make their lives easier.

Mind blown.
At least they're being honest!

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2018, 03:44:40 PM »

A cross-country trip with a 26 foot U-Haul can still be $3k+ on short notice and NYC in particular is a HCOL area. I still don't see how a bit of overtime and some credit cards wouldn't make it possible for a reasonably motivated person.

Sometimes an employer will pay relocation expenses.

Yeah. I call bullshit. I think the move is a convenient excuse to raise funds.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:07 AM »
So, a neighbor posted on our neighborhood facebook group that she, her husband, and kindergartener had "heard the calling from God" to do a mission trip to Mexico in December.  She wants $5500 for travel expenses and started a campaign on a crowdfunding site.  She explains that it will be husband's 13th mission trip to Mexico, but her and son's first.  Allegedly it is with a group from their church, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt and assume there will be some legitimate volunteering going on.

I'm all for doing good deeds and whatnot, but if you need to beg for money for travel expenses to go on a mission trip, perhaps you shouldn't be going.  If you are able to raise $5500 for the poor villagers, wouldn't they rather just have the cash for actual needs as opposed to having the three people in question visit for a week?  How much legitimate help does that kindergartener provide?  If anything, the presence of a small child will make the parents less effective in their efforts.

This kind of thing is such a pet peeve of mine.  The emphasis often seems to be put more on the experience of the people going rather than focusing on the true needs of the population they're going to help.  Husband probably has useful skills now that he's on his 13th trip; that's great.  But a 6 year old?  Kids shouldn't go until they're old enough to truly help, probably not until they are teenagers.  When I was in high school my parents got tons of requests from people to help send their kid on a mission trip to "help the poor" and "bring God's good works to others".  Which is great, and there are many low income families in our area that my parents would have been happy to help fund sending their kid on one mission trip, for the experience that can bring.  But it seems that overall the people asking for funding are at least middle class and doing little on their own to prioritize paying for this trip.  And the mission trips usually involved painting an orphanage and offering a check for around $1,000.  Again, those are both good things.  But the flights alone for each person on the trip were at least $700; couldn't a greater portion of funds have gone to the community affected?  And painting is great, but not a critical infrastructure project.

"Raising support" for missions trips was a huge thing in the churches I grew up in. I did several missions trips as a teen and we were actively discouraged from paying for the expenses ourselves -- we were TOLD to ask others for money. It was a "faith-stretching" exercise... i.e. we needed to trust God to provide the resources (through other people) to go on these trips.

In college I got to meet the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, Bill Bright. At the time I thought I wanted to be a missionary, but knew I would be facing tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt after college. I asked Bright what I should do about that, because raising enough support to cover student loan payments would be incredibly difficult. His answer? I should find some rich benefactor willing to pay off my loans.

Today I am about as agnostic as they come; I have long since "left the fold." I'm not going to claim that that exchange with Bill Bright killed my faith, but I definitely side eyed him with that advice. It was my debt that I incurred, and the "personal responsibility" side of me thought it was horrible advice. Ugh.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »
So, a neighbor posted on our neighborhood facebook group that she, her husband, and kindergartener had "heard the calling from God" to do a mission trip to Mexico in December.  She wants $5500 for travel expenses and started a campaign on a crowdfunding site.  She explains that it will be husband's 13th mission trip to Mexico, but her and son's first.  Allegedly it is with a group from their church, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt and assume there will be some legitimate volunteering going on.

I'm all for doing good deeds and whatnot, but if you need to beg for money for travel expenses to go on a mission trip, perhaps you shouldn't be going.  If you are able to raise $5500 for the poor villagers, wouldn't they rather just have the cash for actual needs as opposed to having the three people in question visit for a week?  How much legitimate help does that kindergartener provide?  If anything, the presence of a small child will make the parents less effective in their efforts.

This kind of thing is such a pet peeve of mine.  The emphasis often seems to be put more on the experience of the people going rather than focusing on the true needs of the population they're going to help.  Husband probably has useful skills now that he's on his 13th trip; that's great.  But a 6 year old?  Kids shouldn't go until they're old enough to truly help, probably not until they are teenagers.  When I was in high school my parents got tons of requests from people to help send their kid on a mission trip to "help the poor" and "bring God's good works to others".  Which is great, and there are many low income families in our area that my parents would have been happy to help fund sending their kid on one mission trip, for the experience that can bring.  But it seems that overall the people asking for funding are at least middle class and doing little on their own to prioritize paying for this trip.  And the mission trips usually involved painting an orphanage and offering a check for around $1,000.  Again, those are both good things.  But the flights alone for each person on the trip were at least $700; couldn't a greater portion of funds have gone to the community affected?  And painting is great, but not a critical infrastructure project.

"Raising support" for missions trips was a huge thing in the churches I grew up in. I did several missions trips as a teen and we were actively discouraged from paying for the expenses ourselves -- we were TOLD to ask others for money. It was a "faith-stretching" exercise... i.e. we needed to trust God to provide the resources (through other people) to go on these trips.

In college I got to meet the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, Bill Bright. At the time I thought I wanted to be a missionary, but knew I would be facing tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt after college. I asked Bright what I should do about that, because raising enough support to cover student loan payments would be incredibly difficult. His answer? I should find some rich benefactor willing to pay off my loans.

Today I am about as agnostic as they come; I have long since "left the fold." I'm not going to claim that that exchange with Bill Bright killed my faith, but I definitely side eyed him with that advice. It was my debt that I incurred, and the "personal responsibility" side of me thought it was horrible advice. Ugh.

At my church, we are encouraged to sponsor people to go on missions instead of going ourselves unless we have an actual useful skill. They do the same don't pay to go yourself thing, but the message is subtly changed which is probably important. Basically, if they are planning a mission to a school then they want people to go who have experience in teaching, audio/visual technology, and administration. The carpenters can stay home and sponsor someone. It's an interesting way to get everyone "involved" and keeps from having a bunch of idiots (or children, honestly what were they thinking) not helping and taking up resources.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
As someone who grew up in East Africa, I find these mission trips hilarious. Here's my anecdotal experience with Americans (who were always white) coming on mission trips:

During the rural part of the mission, most of them didn't want to touch Africans. Then they would wear latex/rubber gloves. Ain't no African gonna come near you, and you think maybe it's 'cause you're white. No, we've seen white people since 1800s, we ain't surprised. It's them gloves we suspicious of.

During the city part of the mission, they go to restaurants and clubs, say mean things like Africa is so backwards. Yes biatch, we know that, it's cause white man did so much shit during colonialism across the whole continent. And then our politicians fuck us over with "bitch move, The Brits got theirs, it's my turn now." Now you know how it feels with Trump, 'Murica!

When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the land and the missionaries had the Bible. They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the land and we had the Bible.
- Jomo Kenyatta, freedom fighter, first Prez of Kenya.

https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/quotes/jomo-kenyatta-on-the-arrival-of-christianity-in-kenya

So when someone asks me for mission trip donations, I just tell them GTFO. I ain't paying for a damn invisible product designed to fleece the locals. Fuck that shit.

/rant
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:12:37 AM by jinga nation »

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »
. Fuck that shit.

/rant

hahahhah

exactly!!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
This blew my mind yesterday: https://www.npr.org/2018/04/10/600134700/maker-of-bratz-and-little-tikes-seeks-to-save-toys-r-us

An ostensibly successful toy company owner is trying to raise a billion dollars through GFM to buy Toys R Us out of bankruptcy. You have to donate $50 to get any reward better than a bumper sticker.

The GFM page clarifies "Be advised that this is not a donation to a charitable cause, and there is no tax deduction available. It is a donation to a potential commercial venture." I'm trying to think of any other context where "donation to a commercial venture" makes sense - why is it he can't get actual venture capitalists investing in his plan? (It's raised $200 million so far, but the article says that's mostly from a few big investors, namely himself.)

Given that the only draw here is nostalgia for a consumerist marketing gimmick, I don't think there's any way this could be less mustachian. At least donors get their money back if they don't make their goal.

Oh, one more thing:

"Toys R Us is not going to last. It needs a crazy person who lives, breathes and eats toys like I do."

...eats toys?

avalanchecity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
"Toys R Us is not going to last. It needs a crazy person who lives, breathes and eats toys like I do."

...eats toys?

finally, a CEO committed enough to test out all new products on himself /sarcasm

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »
This blew my mind yesterday: https://www.npr.org/2018/04/10/600134700/maker-of-bratz-and-little-tikes-seeks-to-save-toys-r-us

An ostensibly successful toy company owner is trying to raise a billion dollars through GFM to buy Toys R Us out of bankruptcy. You have to donate $50 to get any reward better than a bumper sticker.

The GFM page clarifies "Be advised that this is not a donation to a charitable cause, and there is no tax deduction available. It is a donation to a potential commercial venture." I'm trying to think of any other context where "donation to a commercial venture" makes sense - why is it he can't get actual venture capitalists investing in his plan? (It's raised $200 million so far, but the article says that's mostly from a few big investors, namely himself.)

Given that the only draw here is nostalgia for a consumerist marketing gimmick, I don't think there's any way this could be less mustachian. At least donors get their money back if they don't make their goal.

Oh, one more thing:

...eats toys?

Please, please, please don't let this one be a success. It's bad enough corporations have been so effective at convincing people to hand over money for crap they don't need but now they want people to just hand over money...

I mean, I remember play-doh being pretty good but I don't see what that has to do with running a successful business.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2018, 12:32:46 PM »
It's not very hard to make play-doh at home. And to make it smell better than the real stuff, and no big deal for a kid to put in their mouth.

(We made it with cinnamon when I was a kid and I definitely ate it on purpose.)

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »
It's not very hard to make play-doh at home. And to make it smell better than the real stuff, and no big deal for a kid to put in their mouth.

(We made it with cinnamon when I was a kid and I definitely ate it on purpose.)

Flavored play-doh is intriguing, but I think I prefer the simplicity of the original. I really want that salty, wheaty musk to come through.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2018, 09:29:48 PM »
"donation to a commercial venture"
a.k.a. most kickstarter projects.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »

In a well-designed kickstarter, you're paying for the product ahead of time. The producer is asking for a loan from the eventual consumer rather than from a bank.

This isn't even that. You're just supposed to donate for the sheer joy of Toys R Us continuing to exist.

avalanchecity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »

In a well-designed kickstarter, you're paying for the product ahead of time. The producer is asking for a loan from the eventual consumer rather than from a bank.

This isn't even that. You're just supposed to donate for the sheer joy of Toys R Us continuing to exist.

which in itself seems like a pretty awful idea. toys r us gave its management millions of dollars in bonuses right before laying off longtime employees with no severance. i don't want to take care of any company that takes care of its people that way.

source: https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2018/02/22/toys-r-us-closes-more-stores.html

poetdereves

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »
A college buddy requested a few thousand dollars to pay for acting classes, pay his medical bills (>$1000 for a nonessential, cosmetic procedure), and $2000 for an overseas vacation for his birthday. He posted his income and bills to curtail skepticism. He lives in NYC and makes <$20,000 a year, but spends $150 a month eating out, a bunch for the latest smartphone, and has a high priced gym membership of which he is NOT a frequent user. I want to laugh, but I am sad at his income and spending. He has a degree already, but not much to work with I guess.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2018, 09:15:17 PM »

Oh, one more thing:

...eats toys?

I was in a Toys R Us store a couple weekends ago looking for a small cart or wagon for the Chiuahua to push and tow. She's smarter than the average toddler so she doesn't need any fancy lights, electronics, R/C, or other bells and whistles. I was thinking that maybe a plastic wagon of some kind would do it. But as well stocked as the place was, there was NOT ONE little car, truck, or similar wheeled vehicle in the dog's size that didn't have a major franchise character on it.

The place has changed a lot since I was a kid. There used to be things that weren't from a Disney or superhero franchise: basic things like balls, hula hoops, marbles, jacks, and building toys like Tinkertoys. There were little cars, not necessary Matchbox or Fisher Price, and kids would play with them by rolling them along the floor. Most of these things were available at about half the price of things with a Sesame Street or Disney theme because you weren't paying extra for the brand. Also, you could get basic things like entry-level skateboards and sports gear that *wasn't* blinged up to within an inch of its life with built-in LED lights and everything else. Just... basic... TOYS. There aren't any of those anymore, just a bunch of cheap plastic hype-in-a-box from China. In the entire store, there wasn't a single thing I thought I might buy for the dog, myself, or anyone in my extended family or network (of which there are many kids).

They've got a lot of stuff in there, just nothing worth buying. I think that might be their problem.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2018, 03:30:54 AM »

Oh, one more thing:

...eats toys?

I was in a Toys R Us store a couple weekends ago looking for a small cart or wagon for the Chiuahua to push and tow. She's smarter than the average toddler so she doesn't need any fancy lights, electronics, R/C, or other bells and whistles. I was thinking that maybe a plastic wagon of some kind would do it. But as well stocked as the place was, there was NOT ONE little car, truck, or similar wheeled vehicle in the dog's size that didn't have a major franchise character on it.

The place has changed a lot since I was a kid. There used to be things that weren't from a Disney or superhero franchise: basic things like balls, hula hoops, marbles, jacks, and building toys like Tinkertoys. There were little cars, not necessary Matchbox or Fisher Price, and kids would play with them by rolling them along the floor. Most of these things were available at about half the price of things with a Sesame Street or Disney theme because you weren't paying extra for the brand. Also, you could get basic things like entry-level skateboards and sports gear that *wasn't* blinged up to within an inch of its life with built-in LED lights and everything else. Just... basic... TOYS. There aren't any of those anymore, just a bunch of cheap plastic hype-in-a-box from China. In the entire store, there wasn't a single thing I thought I might buy for the dog, myself, or anyone in my extended family or network (of which there are many kids).

They've got a lot of stuff in there, just nothing worth buying. I think that might be their problem.

Is this so VSB can start her own side hustle?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »

Oh, one more thing:

...eats toys?

Is this so VSB can start her own side hustle?

Worse. VSB has developed an interest in doggy parkour and stunts. Which could turn onto a side hustle if she gets bored being my Hearing Ear dog.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »
"I want to persue MY dream ...with YOUR money..."

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »

Oh, one more thing:

...eats toys?

If he eats toys I wonder if he shits toys also.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2018, 07:04:04 PM »

Oh, one more thing:

...eats toys?

If he eats toys I wonder if he shits toys also.

That would explain what's presently on the shelves!

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2018, 07:18:44 AM »

Nope, without getting too specific he is in sales.  She allegedly goes to school for a degree that will require a master's to be marketable and sells a MLM product via Facebook.  It's highly unlikely either has any special medical or language skills.

When a neighbor brought up the wife's post this weekend, I also learned that the kindergartener (from wife's previous relationship) gets free school lunches and a fee waiver.  So they're mooching off the taxpayers of the community and want us to pay for them to go help some folks in Mexico.

I honestly don't know how these folks sleep at night.  I know it's judgey, but if you can't afford to feed your kid, maybe you should put forth some effort to improve things on the home front before worrying about mission trips.  There are plenty of local volunteer opportunities to participate in if you really want to teach the kid to give back.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2018, 08:11:33 AM »

Nope, without getting too specific he is in sales.  She allegedly goes to school for a degree that will require a master's to be marketable and sells a MLM product via Facebook.  It's highly unlikely either has any special medical or language skills.

When a neighbor brought up the wife's post this weekend, I also learned that the kindergartener (from wife's previous relationship) gets free school lunches and a fee waiver.  So they're mooching off the taxpayers of the community and want us to pay for them to go help some folks in Mexico.

I honestly don't know how these folks sleep at night.  I know it's judgey, but if you can't afford to feed your kid, maybe you should put forth some effort to improve things on the home front before worrying about mission trips.  There are plenty of local volunteer opportunities to participate in if you really want to teach the kid to give back.

Well, we try to give people the benefit of doubt but unfortunately sometimes it's just as bad as it sounds. Or as it is in this case, sometimes it's worse than we originally thought. If you tell me they commute to work in a giant SUV I won't believe you.

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
Re: Give me Money: GoFundMe Campaigns Choochin-Rig Style
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »
This is the worst gofundme that I've ever seen.  Happy to see he hasn't raised any funds for his cause.
https://www.gofundme.com/choochin-rig

avalanchecity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2018, 04:21:00 PM »
This is the worst gofundme that I've ever seen.  Happy to see he hasn't raised any funds for his cause.

how does this have 28 shares on facebook?

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2018, 04:54:30 PM »
Perhaps they're shared with the same attitude it was shared here?

I really can't believe that one is serious... My college-age brother set up a gofundme for a friend to buy a Nintendo Switch that was intended as a joke (don't ask me what part of it was funny, and no, it didn't get funded - it was never supposed to be). Is there sardonic humor in here somewhere? Was he drunk when he wrote it? So many questions...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2018, 07:39:58 PM »

I'm not sure what language it's written in. It's like something out of "A Clockwork Orange". The syntax is mostly English but the verbs mostly aren't. Is this an example of me being terminally out of touch.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »

I'm not sure what language it's written in. It's like something out of "A Clockwork Orange". The syntax is mostly English but the verbs mostly aren't. Is this an example of me being terminally out of touch.

a choocher is anything that chooches. IE, something that does something. - first google result

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2018, 07:50:29 PM »
Perhaps they're shared with the same attitude it was shared here?

I really can't believe that one is serious... My college-age brother set up a gofundme for a friend to buy a Nintendo Switch that was intended as a joke (don't ask me what part of it was funny, and no, it didn't get funded - it was never supposed to be). Is there sardonic humor in here somewhere? Was he drunk when he wrote it? So many questions...

I think that's their goal. Put up something stupid and if it turns out to be the right kind of stupid (potato salad, holiday hole) people throw money at it.

So the real antimustachian wall of shamers are the people that hate their money so much they give it to stupid. Luckily no one has taken the bait here.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2018, 02:18:41 PM »
I never had really read any GFM pages before.  I'm a bit shocked at this wasteland of electronic begging. 

The links to engagement rings alone, and the original engagement ring request posted earlier seem so batshit.

'Why should a couple have to pay to be married?'

I don't know.....  Why should anyone have to pay for anything...ever?  Why can't every single thing in the world be free?  Its just wrong!

Such amazing disconnects.  Yet, multiple someones, somewhere contribute...  It seems wrong.  But people can piss there money on anything (or to anyone) they choose.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »
'Why should a couple have to pay to be married?'

You shouldn't have to pay much at all. Marriage licenses are cheap, and an engagement ring is not a legal requirement.

(This comment is aimed hypothetically at the GFM-ers, not at you, who seem to understand the concept.)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »
I don't want to too specific, but someone local to me, had a large pontoon boat that developed a leak and needed work. Rather than fix the existing boat, he started a gofund me page to get a new one, custom built.
 Just so you know he drives a Hummer and after the GFM he bought a home in what we call the rich neighborhood, prices are at least three times the average. Oh, he also got the bigger boat.

Edit:
 I noted a couple of pages on the marina door yesterday, the Hummer driving, expensive house owning, GFM  page starter, has not paid his rent and the marina put a lien on his boat. He also has created a couple other infractions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:08:24 PM by BTDretire »

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2018, 05:57:52 AM »
Has Gofund me dried up?

I had an elderly cousin (he's 88 and she's 70's and has MS).  Their house burned to the ground last week.  Their go fund me that's been up for a few days has been shared on several local news stations facebook with 10,000s of followers.  So far, $450 has been donated by 4 donors, all with family relations.    Their church took a cash donation, so people donated there, and GFM doesn't take their share, but I guess I was surprised there weren't so many people donating using GFM.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »
Has Gofund me dried up?

I had an elderly cousin (he's 88 and she's 70's and has MS).  Their house burned to the ground last week.  Their go fund me that's been up for a few days has been shared on several local news stations facebook with 10,000s of followers.  So far, $450 has been donated by 4 donors, all with family relations.    Their church took a cash donation, so people donated there, and GFM doesn't take their share, but I guess I was surprised there weren't so many people donating using GFM.

It's possible that people mentally tune out GFM requests because they are tired of being constantly solicited on social media. Somebody I know has their hand out again and isn't having much luck.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »

This just keeps getting better.

I've always had a problem with people asking for money for these trips but I would give one defense of the benefits. I think the real positive that comes from sending people to poorer parts of the world isn't the labor they provide but that it may open their eyes a bit. I suspect if everyone did this once in their lives it would bring the world a little closer together and increase compassion towards less fortunate parts of the world.

Which is exactly why I think the husband going on his 13th trip is the worst part of your story. He's had the experience, now he's just wasting money to go on feel good trips. If you spend your own money on that in lieu of vacations then that's great. Taking donations that could go directly to those in need, not so much.

Am I the only one picturing 13 Mexican/American kids running around that village in Mexico? 

That lady is going to be really surprised when she goes down there. Kind of like "Meet The Fockers".  Bet you the husband is praying to God that nobody funds the trip.

I was done posting about these folks, but guess what?  A brand-new German luxury SUV is now parked in their garage.  SMH.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2018, 06:35:10 AM »
I just saw several GoFundMe requests on Facebook to pay for a son's mission's trip to Central America. The kicker? He was already on the trip. Wouldn't it already be paid for? At this point, this is just money back in the parent's pocket. And I really rolled my eyes when I saw the parent post another reminder request after he was already home! The nerve.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2018, 07:46:37 AM »
We gave to an IVF campaign a few years ago. It was successful - twins! -- and shortly thereafter the happy couple bought a monster home and two new cars, including a Jaguar.

Lesson learned.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
We gave to an IVF campaign a few years ago. It was successful - twins! -- and shortly thereafter the happy couple bought a monster home and two new cars, including a Jaguar.

Lesson learned.

Oh hell, that donation was worth the price of the story!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!