Author Topic: Gets 1.3 Million for Inherited Blanket....  (Read 11395 times)

GardenBaker

• Stubble
Gets 1.3 Million for Inherited Blanket....
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:17:43 AM »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Re: Gets 1.3 Million for Inherited Blanket....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:49 AM »
He definitely overdid it at first with "several" cars, although he did invest the bulk of his money thanks to the timely advice from the auctioneer's accountant who most likely prevented a total meltdown. I think he may have caught the problem in time to get a house in a low-COLA and the kind of things that won't prevent him from receiving disability payments in the future. However unless he's able to find a new line of work I do expect him to be back on disability in about 5 years.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »
It's his money.  While I certainly would have chosen to spend it differently if it was min, I can't begrudge him the chance to do things that he would never have been able to otherwise.  It takes a certain type of mindset to get a large quantity of cash and make good decisions with it, not a mindset that's easy to come by living paycheque to paycheque.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 10:36:17 AM »
am i the only person who is more grossed out that this dude is living large off a 99% chance of having been pilfered from a group who were pushed to extinction? esp right in time for Thanksgiving?guess his purchase of fancy cars is more stomach-churning for others.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »
Well, this is a guy who may or may not want FI, but he certainly doesn't want RE:
"I mean, I have a home, a beautiful home, and several cars, but I'd give anything to still be working," he says. "Sitting around even if you're in a nice home or you're living in a shack, you're sitting around bored doing nothing."

This is the part that's hardest for me to wrap my mind around. Why is he sitting around bored doing nothing? Why does he need a job to not "do nothing"? Is this a roundabout way of him saying that he wishes he had the mobility/health required to do certain things that he can no longer do? I just don't get why a job is the only solution to not doing nothing... I have trouble understanding that mindset.

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:54:11 AM »
am i the only person who is more grossed out that this dude is living large off a 99% chance of having been pilfered from a group who were pushed to extinction? esp right in time for Thanksgiving?guess his purchase of fancy cars is more stomach-churning for others.

Well, Vivo, many, many people make a living doing things that are questionable, not sustainable, etc., every single day. I'm sure he was thankful that he was able to get money to help his dire financial situation.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »

Probably.  Disgust for treatment of Native Americans (if deserved - and we don't actually know the back story at all regarding this item so it's pure speculation) would be relegated to his grandmother (or whoever further back gave her the blanket).  It's not like this guy (or even his parents) were out shooting Indians and pilfering relics.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 11:35:08 AM »
For someone who's lived paycheck to paycheck his entire life and suddenly came into money, he did okay. He said he invested in stocks, bonds, and a rental. They're looking at moving to a cheaper area so they don't run out of money. He splurged on some things, but not to the point of financial ruin.

It is interesting that the biggest change did not require any money:

"The money helped improve Krytzer's health: He's sitting around less and enjoying the outdoors more often with camping and fishing trips. "For the first time in years I'm actually able to walk with my wife and hold her hand down the street," he says."

He didn't need a million dollars to start walking around, camping, and fishing! Of course the constant financial stress probably contributed to sitting around, feeling hopeless/depressed.
The money might have helped with this piece too! His spiral from paycheque to paycheque started with an accident and amputation.

I think that the auctioneer is easily the hero of this story helping out, and paying for financial advice from an accountant. I'm not sure that I would make the wise choice to buy two $250 000 houses and rent them out, since it would involve a long distance move

I'm also not sure, based on the language, if this blanket was from a native ancestor or a person who traded with native groups.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »

Probably.  Disgust for treatment of Native Americans (if deserved - and we don't actually know the back story at all regarding this item so it's pure speculation) would be relegated to his grandmother (or whoever further back gave her the blanket).  It's not like this guy (or even his parents) were out shooting Indians and pilfering relics.

There's a good chance the blanket really was a high-end trade item. The Navajo weren't heavily involved in protracted wars against the Europeans the way, say, the Acoma and the Comanche were. Definitely they got screwed over with the whole reservation thing-- you'll get no argument from me there-- however prior to that there was a long-term, thriving manufacture and trade business especially in rugs and blankets.

surfhb

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 01:57:12 PM »
"Please be enough to buy a house or something"   

"I would call the 1-800 number for Wells Fargo … and it would say, 'Your balance is one-point' and I would play it [on speakerphone],"

Gawd! ;)     Wished it were me   haha

I remember seeing that antique road show eps and how happy I was for the old man
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:34:53 PM by surfhb »

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »
In this story the auctioneer really looks like a hero. Not only does he seem to get maximum value for his client, but extends his accountant's services in an attempt to help the guy avoid flaming out too fast with that windfall.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
The first half - feel good story. Then I hit the pics of the bike and car and thought, this won't end good...

And sure enough..

I actually feel bad for him (usually I'd berate but I'm working on being more empathetic). I just don't think he has the intelligence to know any different.

And yes this guy would be living in a van if that auctioneer hadn't stepped up. Could easily have waived a huge (to the guy) number like $100k in front of him and banked the rest. I think maybe that's the feel good story in it after all.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
That's true. The auctioneer went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the blanket's owner got the best price the market would bear (the auctioneer's actual "call of duty") AND to provide some financial education/advice (the "above and beyond" part). It's interesting that the guy who owned the blanket accepted the financial advice provided but hasn't thought to seek out further advice since then. I suppose it really is a mindset where it simply wouldn't occur to him to do that?

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »

What are you talking about? The Navajo are the second most populous American Indian nation in the country after only the Cherokee. They are doing just fine. And the blanket was sold for a high price when it was originally made, because the Navajo have a lot of talented artists. There's absolutely nothing exploitative about admiring a great work of art that someone was paid handsomely for.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:20:28 AM by WhiteTrashCash »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
Now this man is just "hoping to survive" https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/selling-an-old-blanket-hed-thought-was-worthless-made-this-man-dollar15-million/ar-BBFrHKL?li=BBnb7Kz

Apparently, he hasn't heard of the 4% SWR
OMG, what a great story! How kind of the auctioneer to go the extra mile with him! This has the makings of a great book or movie.  Thanks for sharing!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »

What are you talking about? The Navajo are the second most populous American Indian nation in the country after only the Cherokee. They are doing just fine. And the blanket was sold for a high price when it was originally made, because the Navajo have a lot of talented artists. There's absolutely nothing exploitative about admiring a great work of art that someone was paid handsomely for.

Grinding poverty, sky high suicide rates, lack of basic services, massive unemployment, rampant alcoholism, and other issues are creating genocide on many American and Canadian reservations. Doesn't the same apply to Navajo country? 

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »
Surprised this turned out as well as it did. This whole thing was near implosion at multiple points along the way.

Easy come, easy go -- spending on cars and cruises is entirely predictable for someone who's never had two nickels to rub together. More than anything I'm amazed that he seems to have [somewhat] gotten his finances in order!  He deserves a facepunch, but in the nicest possible way. He really didn't know any different, but he should know better now.

Agree that the auctioneer is a hero.

Most disturbing, don't think anyone else mentioned this: He has family who apparently weren't there to help when he was in desperate need -- at least no mention of the family as he was recovering from amputation and nearly homeless. After the the rest of the family picked through grandma's stuff, he's left with what everyone thinks is garbage. Yet once the true value is discovered his sister threatens to sue. And sounds like other family members have come to him looking for money. Just repulsive.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 06:49:35 AM »

Grinding poverty, sky high suicide rates, lack of basic services, massive unemployment, rampant alcoholism, and other issues are creating genocide on many American and Canadian reservations. Doesn't the same apply to Navajo country?

There is a lot of poverty on the Navajo reservation, but that's more due to collectivism than anything else. There isn't enough unrestricted personal property ownership. A lot is owned by the tribe or administered by the federal government. That prevents people on the rez from being able to use their land as collateral for bank loans, etc. to create businesses or generate opportunity. You can ask some Navajo about this and they'll tell you all about it.

When it comes to the arts, the Navajo are very talented. Their blankets, baskets, pottery, etc. sell for high prices because they are top quality and in high demand among collectors, art museums, private citizens, etc. It's a good source of income for artisans on the rez.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 07:32:30 AM »
So, your position is that they are doing just fine? Just, curious where that belief comes from? I've worked with NGOs on reservations, and studied issues on, and have been to, the Navajo Res. I see no evidence to support that anything is going fine on any of the truly isolated reservations in the states. Individual ownership of small amounts of barren land is of little value to most impoverished folks. The homestead acts of the late 1800s provided endless opportunities for driven, amazingly industrious folks to partake in significant amounts of "free land" in less than optimal locations. The vast majority failed.

Native issues are many, including corruption, federal government oversight, and a culture of repetitive failure. Being granted property rights changes little, as is evidenced by some Lakota reservations in SD. where being enrolled entitles you to a piece of land to build on. One of these tribes in particular has the poorest county in the USA. You really think being given your five acre allotment there will improve your lot in life? At the moment the land would be absolutely valueless, since due to greed, incompetence and under funding, their entire water system is in a state of crisis, and needs dozens of millions in emergency repairs to return to functionality.  No access to water, no permits can be issued, no possibility of using your "free land". This is pretty common, when it comes to how well things function in Indian Country, BTW. Art and crafts are good, but few natives are truly financially stable, and providing for their families, based on their income as artists.

I have a lot of interest, and respect, for much of what you have written on in your journal. Sadly, when it comes to this topic, IMHO you're beliefs on the topic have little to do with reality.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
So, your position is that they are doing just fine? Just, curious where that belief comes from? I've worked with NGOs on reservations, and studied issues on, and have been to, the Navajo Res. I see no evidence to support that anything is going fine on any of the truly isolated reservations in the states. Individual ownership of small amounts of barren land is of little value to most impoverished folks. The homestead acts of the late 1800s provided endless opportunities for driven, amazingly industrious folks to partake in significant amounts of "free land" in less than optimal locations. The vast majority failed.

Native issues are many, including corruption, federal government oversight, and a culture of repetitive failure. Being granted property rights changes little, as is evidenced by some Lakota reservations in SD. where being enrolled entitles you to a piece of land to build on. One of these tribes in particular has the poorest county in the USA. You really think being given your five acre allotment there will improve your lot in life? At the moment the land would be absolutely valueless, since due to greed, incompetence and under funding, their entire water system is in a state of crisis, and needs dozens of millions in emergency repairs to return to functionality.  No access to water, no permits can be issued, no possibility of using your "free land". This is pretty common, when it comes to how well things function in Indian Country, BTW. Art and crafts are good, but few natives are truly financially stable, and providing for their families, based on their income as artists.

I have a lot of interest, and respect, for much of what you have written on in your journal. Sadly, when it comes to this topic, IMHO you're beliefs on the topic have little to do with reality.

Well, I am in fact of American Indian ancestry (they don't really like being called Native Americans), so I can say what I want about it. The fact of the matter is that there are a whole lot of Navajo alive today and being alive is a pretty great thing to be, so, yes, they are doing fine.

Historical issues aside, most of the current problems the Navajo deal with come from mistakes that they have made. Look at the Seminoles. They are super wealthy because they make good business choices. Look at the Mohegans. Look at the Cherokee. Very, very successful people because they work hard and they've learned to change with the times while maintaining their culture and arts.

American Indians don't need to be coddled or treated in a paternalistic way by white people. They are human beings who have choices they can make about their lives. It really would be helpful if white people would stop treating them like they are children.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »
I guess if your definition of doing fine is limited to being alive, all the indigenous people who are currently breathing are doing pretty well. Like most, I can't sign on to that way of thinking. Your comment about who wants to be called what is interesting. Out on the plains, hats and bumper stickers with "native" and "Native American and proud" are a dime a dozen, on American Indian heads, cars, and trucks. "Native Pride" is an esteem building rally cry, and I have yet to hear anybody say they would rather be called something else.

I completely concur with your second paragraph, as I believe that most natives who live the life, on failed reservations, are suffering from a culture that has mastered the art of self-inflicted wounds. The tribe that I've spent the most time with, has an amazing ability to take those that come out on top, and beat them back down, instead of appreciating and rewarding success.

Finally, nothing I wrote suggests that I believe that coddling, or behaving paternalistically, is of any value, as it is not. The BIA and the feds. have done more to destroy the culture, and create long term failure, than most outsiders could ever imagine. A lot of federal help, particularly in the past was framed with. "We know what's in your best interest, so do as you are told".  Not exactly a blueprint for success.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
I guess if your definition of doing fine is limited to being alive, all the indigenous people who are currently breathing are doing pretty well. Like most, I can't sign on to that way of thinking. Your comment about who wants to be called what is interesting. Out on the plains, hats and bumper stickers with "native" and "Native American and proud" are a dime a dozen, on American Indian heads, cars, and trucks. "Native Pride" is an esteem building rally cry, and I have yet to hear anybody say they would rather be called something else.

Are you familiar with the American Indian activist named Russell Means (RIP)? Outside of his activism with the American Indian Movement (AIM), he is best known for his acting which included playing Chingachgook in the 1992 film "The Last of the Mohicans." (Probably Hollywood's most honest and realistic portrayal of the interaction between whites and Indians.) Means was very influential among American Indians in the United States, particularly when it came to encouraging the usage of "Indian" instead of "Native". As he reasoned, a "native" is someone who is born somewhere, which means that everybody of any ethnicity who is born in the United States is a "Native American". However, he believed that the term "Indian" used by Spanish explorers was not due to a mistaken belief that the people who lived in America were actually from India. Means believed that the term originated in the Spanish expression "En Dios", which means "With God." A lot of American Indians agree with him.

Anyway, if you want a recent success story when it comes to a tribe pulling themselves out of poverty, you should take a look at what the Akwesasne Mohawks are doing in New York. The revenue from their casino flatlined, so they have started offering their services to pharmaceutical companies. These companies want to protect their patents and whatdya know? American Indian tribes have special protections when it comes to these things. One particular company just made a deal with the Akwesasne for $15 million for signing their patent over to the tribe for safe-keeping. It's good business and the Akwesasne are doing a good job looking out for their interests.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
 I'm more familiar than familiar with Means, Dennis Banks, Clyde Bellecourt, Wesley Bad Heart Bull, Wounded Knee 2, Dick Wilson, GOON squads,  genocide by the feds and Wilson's followers, William Janklow, The riot at Custer County Courthouse, the Alcatraz occupation, and a whole lot of 2nd half of the twentieth century, native American history. I'm also well aware that the comments I made about "native pride" specifically apply to his Russell's home  turf, where he was far from universally adored as some kind of god-king by every native.

Bottom line is you can cite some success stories among native tribes, and I am well aware that they are valid. That said, you inaccurately described the Navajo as some sort of imaginary success story, since some of their ranks are talented artists,  and ignore an vast number of failed reservations, and desperate people. I have worked among THOSE folks. I know that they number in the hundreds of thousands, and are far from "just fine". I'm done with reiterating the obvious, easily accessible facts regarding the status of Indian country. You are welcome to have the last word, as your beliefs and claims do not trump the facts. I'll leave you with a thought that cuts to the heart of the problem with a lot of the state of discourse in our nation, as evidenced by your posts on the topic. That being, the plural of anecdote is NOT data.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 07:03:55 PM »
I'm more familiar than familiar with Means, Dennis Banks, Clyde Bellecourt, Wesley Bad Heart Bull, Wounded Knee 2, Dick Wilson, GOON squads,  genocide by the feds and Wilson's followers, William Janklow, The riot at Custer County Courthouse, the Alcatraz occupation, and a whole lot of 2nd half of the twentieth century, native American history. I'm also well aware that the comments I made about "native pride" specifically apply to his Russell's home  turf, where he was far from universally adored as some kind of god-king by every native.

Bottom line is you can cite some success stories among native tribes, and I am well aware that they are valid. That said, you inaccurately described the Navajo as some sort of imaginary success story, since some of their ranks are talented artists,  and ignore an vast number of failed reservations, and desperate people. I have worked among THOSE folks. I know that they number in the hundreds of thousands, and are far from "just fine". I'm done with reiterating the obvious, easily accessible facts regarding the status of Indian country. You are welcome to have the last word, as your beliefs and claims do not trump the facts. I'll leave you with a thought that cuts to the heart of the problem with a lot of the state of discourse in our nation, as evidenced by your posts on the topic. That being, the plural of anecdote is NOT data.

You might look into that guilt situation you have. It's not healthy.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 07:32:04 PM »

Care to translate that into English? What guilt, and how is it a situation? I have a extensive experience working on the housing crisis on remote reservations in this country. I have studied a great deal on the topic of tribal politics, Activism and Native issues. Deal with facts here. State exactly what I said that was factually incorrect. I know how ugly the situation is in a great deal of Indian Country, why is accepting that reality such an issue for you?

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 07:42:21 PM »

Care to translate that into English? What guilt, and how is it a situation? I have a extensive experience working on the housing crisis on remote reservations in this country. I have studied a great deal on the topic of tribal politics, Activism and Native issues. Deal with facts here. State exactly what I said that was factually incorrect. I know how ugly the situation is in a great deal of Indian Country, why is accepting that reality such an issue for you?

I feel like you really have no idea how important it is that the Navajo have not only survived, but are actually thriving in terms of their population. How many tribes have gone extinct? As long as people are alive, they have the chance to win. Money is money and it's something that people can always find a way to get, but that's impossible if they are dead. The survival of the Navajo and expansion of their population is an incredible success story that you don't seem to understand.

Let me put this another way.

When I was a child, a terrible bully I call Jimmy tortured and bullied me, beating me to a bloody pulp time after time. His family had wealth that my family couldn't even imagine which allowed them to go on vacations and provide Jimmy with a brand new Mustang while I was riding a twenty year old bicycle with a banana seat. Jimmy tormented me and mocked me for my poverty and made my teenage years a living Hell.

Then, something unexpected happened. Jimmy died. All his privilege and wealth disappeared when the last breath left his body. It even turned out that his father had embezzled their family's wealth from his job and they lost all of that too.

In the end despite all the advantages Jimmy had, I won because I survived. Then, I went on to learn about personal finance and investing and now I have more money than Jimmy's family.

That is what success means. The Navajo have the largest reservation in the United States. They have the second largest population of American Indians in the country. They have the opportunity to find financial success because despite the troubles they have faced, they still live and breathe. Maybe they still need to find their way, but they can do it.

Don't feel guilty about them. They are doing just fine.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 08:09:54 PM »
Wow, this is really an oddly interesting discussion. I have no guilt for any native individual or tribe. That is literally a concept that you, for some unknown reason, have assigned to me. Your story is interesting, but fails to deal with reality, as you seem unwilling to face the facts. Yes, the census indicates a growth in the Navajo Nation. There are also great difficulties in doing accurate counts on many reservations, with some tribes claiming that their careful, deliberate counts can produce figures that are 50% higher, and greater, as compared to government counts. So, how much is a tribe really thriving, failing, growing, or shrinking, based on a system that does a very poor job of accounting? Who knows, since the old saying of garbage in, garbage out applies to this particular set of census data. Ever built a house that lists two adults and two children as the legal occupants, but has eighteen people surviving the winter inside, I have, and it's on a Rez. How do you think that works out when the census taker shows up? Do we then ignore family incomes that are half the state average, on the Navajo rez? Next do we ignore unemployment stats that are double? Or the 55%+ percent of Navajo adults that do not participate in the labor force at all. I guess the poverty rates being double the national average, crime stats, alcoholism, drugs and gangs on that, or any other rez. really need to be ignored too?

Not sure why you chose to cling so strongly to a fantasy, but the Navajo people, and their rez. closely mirror the rest of Indian Country, and your in a pretty lonely crowd as you pontificate on how wonderful life is for the people. Are there tremendous opportunities for better days ahead? Absolutely. Is success likely, based on recent history of failed enterprises, and broken promises, that are the norm in Indian Country? Hell no.  Nothing to to do with your desire to assign some sense of guilt to anybody, or your rose colored view of something that doesn't exist, it's just reality.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 08:15:39 PM »
Wow, this is really an oddly interesting discussion. I have no guilt for any native individual or tribe. That is literally a concept that you, for some unknown reason, have assigned to me. Your story is interesting, but fails to deal with reality, as you seem unwilling to face the facts. Yes, the census indicates a growth in the Navajo Nation. There are also great difficulties in doing accurate counts on many reservations, with some tribes claiming that their careful, deliberate counts can produce figures that are 50% higher, and greater, as compared to government counts. So, how much is a tribe really thriving, failing, growing, or shrinking, based on a system that does a very poor job of accounting? Who knows, since the old saying of garbage in, garbage out applies to this particular set of census data. Ever built a house that lists two adults and two children as the legal occupants, but has eighteen people surviving the winter inside, I have, and it's on a Rez. How do you think that works out when the census taker shows up? Do we then ignore family incomes that are half the state average, on the Navajo rez? Next do we ignore unemployment stats that are double? Or the 55%+ percent of Navajo adults that do not participate in the labor force at all. I guess the poverty rates being double the national average, crime stats, alcoholism, drugs and gangs on that, or any other rez. really need to be ignored too?

Not sure why you chose to cling so strongly to a fantasy, but the Navajo people, and their rez. closely mirror the rest of Indian Country, and your in a pretty lonely crowd as you pontificate on how wonderful life is for the people. Are there tremendous opportunities for better days ahead? Absolutely. Is success likely, based on recent history of failed enterprises, and broken promises, that are the norm in Indian Country? Hell no.  Nothing to to do with your desire to assign some sense of guilt to anybody, or your rose colored view of something that doesn't exist, it's just reality.

You are the one who is living in a fantasy. A fantasy that American Indians have no agency. The Navajo like all other human beings have the opportunity to make better lives for themselves. White people need to stop telling American Indians that they are helpless and need to be taken care of like they are children. They are adult human beings of tremendous ability and talent as is demonstrated by many tribes throughout the country. Just ask the typical Navajo how they feel about the condescension they get from clueless white people. They can take care of themselves just fine.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 04:22:04 AM »

You are the one who is living in a fantasy. A fantasy that American Indians have no agency. The Navajo like all other human beings have the opportunity to make better lives for themselves. White people need to stop telling American Indians that they are helpless and need to be taken care of like they are children. They are adult human beings of tremendous ability and talent as is demonstrated by many tribes throughout the country. Just ask the typical Navajo how they feel about the condescension they get from clueless white people. They can take care of themselves just fine.

How sad, that you are so lost that you continue to project on somebody that know nothing about. You babble about "crimes" white people commit, yet have a mindset like it's 1950 and white folks are still having Indian welfare collections, then dropping unwanted food and clothing in piles on the Rez. before they speed off in fear. Or, that the folks back east are still rescuing little red savages to be raised as good Christians. Reality in Indian Country encompasses the Navaho, but included many other tribes, many who are failing to even take care of the basic needs of their people. Sadly, the truth is, most of these failures were created by tribes who fought for, and won, self-governance and autonomy. The successful battle for control of tribal affairs, for the most part, happened well before you were born. They are the ones who are given tens, to hundreds of millions of federal funds, every year, for food, shelter, transportation, education and health care for their people. They hold the purse strings, they make the decisions, and typically they fail their own people.

I'n not sure how, or why, you developed such fantasies about how the world works in Indian country, but it might be a good idea to use some of your time, and hard earned money to volunteer on a remote rez in Indian country.  Instead of speaking of things you know nothing of, make a difference in the life of a family, or community that is suffering. Put some effort into actually learning how the real world works, while hopefully divesting yourself of your strange concepts of what it means to be a native, on a remote reservation in this country.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 05:40:00 AM »

How sad, that you are so lost that you continue to project on somebody that know nothing about. You babble about "crimes" white people commit, yet have a mindset like it's 1950 and white folks are still having Indian welfare collections, then dropping unwanted food and clothing in piles on the Rez. before they speed off in fear. Or, that the folks back east are still rescuing little red savages to be raised as good Christians. Reality in Indian Country encompasses the Navaho, but included many other tribes, many who are failing to even take care of the basic needs of their people. Sadly, the truth is, most of these failures were created by tribes who fought for, and won, self-governance and autonomy. The successful battle for control of tribal affairs, for the most part, happened well before you were born. They are the ones who are given tens, to hundreds of millions of federal funds, every year, for food, shelter, transportation, education and health care for their people. They hold the purse strings, they make the decisions, and typically they fail their own people.

I'n not sure how, or why, you developed such fantasies about how the world works in Indian country, but it might be a good idea to use some of your time, and hard earned money to volunteer on a remote rez in Indian country.  Instead of speaking of things you know nothing of, make a difference in the life of a family, or community that is suffering. Put some effort into actually learning how the real world works, while hopefully divesting yourself of your strange concepts of what it means to be a native, on a remote reservation in this country.

I'm clearly not getting through to you, so just stop. Please.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 05:49:18 AM »
Sigh, If you're attempting to "get though to me" by selling some sort of sick fantasy that all is well in Indian Country, because Native Americans are actually alive and reproducing, it's going to be a difficult task. If you are selling the fantasy that they are hordes of white folks treating them like helpless children, it's going to be a tough task. If you have no working knowledge of the situation on the ground, but want to deal in platitudes and theoreticals, based on the noble, yet perpetually unrealized potential of a culture, you really are going to have a difficult time selling that shit to anybody. Once you have walked the walk, done your part as a native to help your culture move forward, and learned how the world works, get back in touch and educate me as to how it all works. I'm guessing it will be a while.

Here is the difference between romantic fantasy, and how the real world works.............This, BTW is from a famous native run newspaper, that recently failed....................

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/news/native-news/not-alone-in-the-dark-navajo-nations-lack-of-electricity-problem/

"And the hardship doesn’t end there: an estimated 32 percent of all homes lack electricity, while 31 percent lack plumbing, 38 percent lack water services, 86 percent lack natural gas and 60 percent lack telephone services."

Yea, everything is just great in Navajo country.

In reality, the Navajo Rez. actually is an improvement, when viewed in comparison to a lot of the others, particularly out on the great western plains of the Dakotas, Montana and Wyoming. Life on the Navajo rez. might suck for many, but in some ways it's WAY better than Pine Ridge, Cheyenne River or the Rosebud...............
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:40:29 AM by paddedhat »

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2017, 06:28:58 AM »
Sigh, If you're attempting to "get though to me" by selling some sort of sick fantasy that all is well in Indian Country, because Native Americans are actually alive and reproducing, it's going to be a difficult task. If you are selling the fantasy that they are hordes of white folks treating them like helpless children, it's going to be a tough task. If you have no working knowledge of the situation on the ground, but want to deal in platitudes and theoreticals, based on the noble, yet perpetually unrealized potential of a culture, you really are going to have a difficult time selling that shit to anybody. Once you have walked the walk, done your part as a native to help your culture move forward, and learned how the world works, get back in touch and educate me as to how it all works. I'm guessing it will be a while.

Again, I'm not getting through to you, so I'd like to please ask you to drop the subject. Thank you.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 09:07:22 AM »
People have to be taught how to handle money. I probably would have ended up doing the same thing if I had had a windfall like that fifteen years ago. Poor people don't naturally know how to handle money. They need guidance.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2018, 04:43:41 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Without knowing the story, I'm guessing I would side with his sister. That aside, nice to see he didn't go and blow it all on damsels and dope!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 09:14:04 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Without knowing the story, I'm guessing I would side with his sister. That aside, nice to see he didn't go and blow it all on damsels and dope!

Having read the story, I'd have to say that the sister went to great lengths to cut the man out of whatever inheritance there was, while doing her best to make her brother feel like he was just two inches tall. He only got the Navajo blanket because Sis didn't think it was worth anything; she made special effort to take whatever else looked like it had value. Overall, I think I'd regard the sister with disdain. But that's just my personal choice based on the information provided. Spin happens everywhere there's publication. I have my grain of salt (OK, it's one of those big salt licks farmers use for their cattle) and I use it whenever I read an article on the Internet.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 10:59:22 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Having read the story, I'd have to say that the sister went to great lengths to cut the man out of whatever inheritance there was, while doing her best to make her brother feel like he was just two inches tall. He only got the Navajo blanket because Sis didn't think it was worth anything; she made special effort to take whatever else looked like it had value. Overall, I think I'd regard the sister with disdain. But that's just my personal choice based on the information provided. Spin happens everywhere there's publication. I have my grain of salt (OK, it's one of those big salt licks farmers use for their cattle) and I use it whenever I read an article on the Internet.
Sorry, Roe, I read the article and Grim has nailed it.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2018, 08:21:48 AM »
Thanks for the update.

That's good to hear. I like the "good thing happens to good guy"spin much better than "money tears functioning family apart".

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2018, 07:39:41 PM »
"It's not like it was 40 or 50 years ago," he says. "If I'd gotten $1 million 50 years ago, I'd be rich right now. I'd literally be rich."

Yeah, inflation and all that. And that pesky tax thing. Do you think he's referring to the 2 houses he bought? Or the custom Dodge? Or the fact that it didn't occur to him that windfalls are taxed?

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
I kept waiting for the part that said the second home was a rental investment.