Author Topic: Get good grades, get new Louboutins!  (Read 5686 times)

cawiau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Get good grades, get new Louboutins!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
Limor Weinstein, a private therapist on the Upper East Side, has a 36-year-old patient who is still playing hardball with her overly indulgent parents.

“She says she’s only going to find a job if her parents pay for her $500 hair treatments,” Weinstein says.

And that is when you cut off the purse strings and access to the trust fund!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
I just read the first paragraph and I have to comment already, haha.

Olivia Gluck, a 14-year-old from the Five Towns area of Long Island, was psyched to be the 2015 class valedictorian at her private middle school. But she was even more excited for her reward: a shiny new MacBook from her father.

Cost: a cool $1,500.

At first, I thought that's pretty fair if was valedictorian and you could easily argue she'll benefit from it at school. But then I reread it and realized it said middle school.... yeah, fuck that. lol

(continues to read article....)

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »
I was psyched to get $50 an A.  That was sufficient motivation for me.  When you got the money, you can take work hard play hard to the extreme.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
I was psyched to get $50 an A.  That was sufficient motivation for me.  When you got the money, you can take work hard play hard to the extreme.

WTF. You guys had incentives? I had to get A's to prevent a belting from my grandpappy, a slap from my dad, and some form of torture from my mum. Grammy was the only solace. If my little brother got a B, it was my fault, so I got to share his misery.

My uncle in Florida said if I got A's, I could go to university. Came to Florida, found out dummies with B's getting in. What a fucking waste of studying too hard, trying to achieve a 100 when a 90 would suffice.

Hashtag Third World Edumacation

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »

WTF. You guys had incentives? I had to get A's to prevent a belting from my grandpappy, a slap from my dad, and some form of torture from my mum. Grammy was the only solace. If my little brother got a B, it was my fault, so I got to share his misery.

My uncle in Florida said if I got A's, I could go to university. Came to Florida, found out dummies with B's getting in. What a fucking waste of studying too hard, trying to achieve a 100 when a 90 would suffice.

Hashtag Third World Edumacation

When you don't have money you have to resort to physical threats.  Having money is nice.  I would like to have baller luxury money but am not there yet.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »
Yeah I just got yelled at if I didn't get an A+ on something. Sometimes my answers to pop psychology questions on why I had let the family down were insufficient and my mom would go outside and pace up and down the block until I apologized for them.

A few years ago I found out that my parents hadn't done well in school, so with my oldest sister they told her every year that it would be OK if she didn't get good grades. But she did great on everything, so there were some expectations for the middle child. She did great on everything too, so when it came to me there wasn't any allowance for having a bad day. Everything had to be the best.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 02:17:36 PM »
“You hope you did a good job, that they’re ready for the real world.”

Wow, just wow. I just can't imagine how 18 years in luxury-paradise-fantasy-land could prepare anyone for the 'real world'.

Limor Weinstein, a private therapist on the Upper East Side, has a 36-year-old patient who is still playing hardball with her overly indulgent parents.

“She says she’s only going to find a job if her parents pay for her $500 hair treatments,” Weinstein says.

Oh, she's totally ready for the real world! /s

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 02:31:24 PM »
“You hope you did a good job, that they’re ready for the real world.”

Wow, just wow. I just can't imagine how 18 years in luxury-paradise-fantasy-land could prepare anyone for the 'real world'.

Now this is what we should be asking Donald Trump.  How to not burn out from a life of privilege and not forget to actually work hard in addition to playing hard.  Sure a million dollar loan from your parents sounds like a lot, but there was some expectation of deliverables attached.

There's two outcomes.  Either the rich get richer as they pass their advantages down or children raised in luxury squander their inheritance.  Are these outcomes random?  If not, why aren't more rich parents trying to ensure their progeny don't fuck it up?

domo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »
This story may be apocryphal, and I haven't been able to track down even an urban legend of it, but it makes me smile:  A billionaire set up a inheritance or some other vehicle in the amount of $40 million per child, but the money came with some strings attached.  Before getting any money, each child had to:
1) complete college
2) be employed full-time for 10 years
3) spend at least two years in a foreign country
4) spend two years doing volunteer work
5) be married to the same person for 10 years

There might have been others, but it's probably been 15 years since I heard the story.  But the upshot was that the kids had to make their own way in the world and prove that they weren't useless bums before they got any inheritance.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 12:19:36 AM »
This story may be apocryphal, and I haven't been able to track down even an urban legend of it, but it makes me smile:  A billionaire set up a inheritance or some other vehicle in the amount of $40 million per child, but the money came with some strings attached.  Before getting any money, each child had to:
1) complete college
2) be employed full-time for 10 years
3) spend at least two years in a foreign country
4) spend two years doing volunteer work
5) be married to the same person for 10 years

There might have been others, but it's probably been 15 years since I heard the story.  But the upshot was that the kids had to make their own way in the world and prove that they weren't useless bums before they got any inheritance.

Or how about the Richest Man in Babylon approach? Pass along your wealth to your kids only if they're able to become independently wealthy themselves. Ensures long-lasting wealth.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Yea...when I was a kid I was simply expected to get good grades. To earn money I had to do odd-jobs around the house or babysit with my free time. However, my Dad did send me off to college with a laptop so I definitely was rewarded at various points. Certainly never expected anything though.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »

And that is when you cut off the purse strings and access to the trust fund!

Please, please I hope they don't let this woman into the workforce to pollute other people.  Obviously, they've completely ruined her and it's their job to keep her locked in a back bedroom somewhere feeding her bon-bons all day.