Author Topic: Funny Lifehacker Post & Comments  (Read 8039 times)

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Funny Lifehacker Post & Comments
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »
Yeah, any retirement calculation based on income is immediately suspect.

Comments are amusing.  It really is interesting to see how people think about money.  Quite different than those of us around here do.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
" I have no idea what percentage of my income goes towards the kids, but its a lot."

Perhaps having an idea of your spending would help you out then, lol.

I feel bad for them 😥

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
Wow, the comments are ridiculous

Ambergris

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »
This is pretty funny.  However, I can remember when I thought that saving 20% of my income was impossibly ridiculously much, and had no idea how it was possible.  Times have changed, but everytime I want to laugh too hard at folks like this, I remember the ol' days...

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »
I think that for some people it might be a start. Not the best possible of starts, but it is a calculation you can make in a couple of minutes and it gives an aim. If it helps to get even a couple of people into maxing out their retirement vehicles, I think it would be worth it. I am not saying it is correct, but I think that because you can't predict the future, this might be as good as some way more complex systems for some folks.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »
This is pretty funny.  However, I can remember when I thought that saving 20% of my income was impossibly ridiculously much, and had no idea how it was possible.  Times have changed, but everytime I want to laugh too hard at folks like this, I remember the ol' days...

Me too! That's actually why I like the wall of shame and comedy. Not so much to point and laugh at other people- but to remind myself of the normal way of thinking (which I used to be part of, and still am in certain ways).

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »
Okay, I agree that this was a pretty ridiculous set of responses, but I saw that article and was excited about a possible discussion.  I even commented about replacement rate, because I thought it would ease some of the panicky responses.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 11:48:01 AM »
Yeah for the person that is wondering how to save 20x income, I would point them to MMM, he can share how to much better than I can.

Man I wonder how many working men and women believe that it is impossible to save money? If only they realize that it is possible, many of them would likely make strides in saving more and enable themselves to retire early (if that is their desire). There are so many people that just don't believe that they are capable of saving money, yet by doing something like setting up a direct deposit to Vanguard they can take out the guesswork and instead save without thinking about it. This is what I do, and this way I don't need to think about how much to invest, instead the decision has already been made.

I am 26 and based on inflation being estimated at 3% and returns at 8% I should hit FIRE by the age of 35.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
Yeah for the person that is wondering how to save 20x income, I would point them to MMM, he can share how to much better than I can.

Man I wonder how many working men and women believe that it is impossible to save money? If only they realize that it is possible, many of them would likely make strides in saving more and enable themselves to retire early (if that is their desire). There are so many people that just don't believe that they are capable of saving money, yet by doing something like setting up a direct deposit to Vanguard they can take out the guesswork and instead save without thinking about it. This is what I do, and this way I don't need to think about how much to invest, instead the decision has already been made.

I am 26 and based on inflation being estimated at 3% and returns at 8% I should hit FIRE by the age of 35.

And the reason it is going to take me 9 years is because I have a fairly low salary right now and I am not accounting for any raises (likely going to happen but I would prefer to plan conservatively just in case I don't). Also I am planning to likely need to spend more money than I currently am, again conservatively thinking.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
While I agree that the article is suspect and the comments steeped in learned helplessness,  I will be complainypants here and say FI isn't some trivial thing.  I believe nearly anyone can become FI but I also think it's a goal requiring over 20 years of work for most people.

A 35% personal savings rate is viewed as impossible by most people and it won't get the job done in less than 25 years using back of the envelope math.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »

Yes but if people believe they need 20x income then that really is nearly impossible for anyone. That would be a 50% savings rate for 40 years! 20x expenses is much more doable, especially if you have a high income.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »

Yes but if people believe they need 20x income then that really is nearly impossible for anyone. That would be a 50% savings rate for 40 years! 20x expenses is much more doable, especially if you have a high income.

Only if you spend that all along the way.  You could have lower expenses when working, save more, and then FIRE with an amount that was equal to your old income, and much higher than your old spending.

And you aren't taking compounding into effect.

But your point remains - saving based on income, rather than expenses, is silly.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.