Author Topic: Fuel efficient parking  (Read 5571 times)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Fuel efficient parking
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:49:52 AM »
Last week, while on a trip in Missouri, I parked my little blue car in one of those "Fuel Efficient Vehicle" parking spots, only to later come back and find this monster parked next to it in another alleged "Fuel Efficient Vehicle" spot:

chills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Fuel efficient parking
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:59:07 AM »
Perhaps it is... in comparison to their... uh... dump truck that they normally drive?

kt

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:05:50 AM »
so what's fuel efficient parking all about? are the spaces closer to the shops or something? or is it just for bragging rights effectively?! never come across this idea and seems a bit odd!

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:01:52 AM »
...and the car to your right is a minivan, only fuel-efficient if it has at least 6 people in it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:27:44 AM »
ROFL . . . fuel efficient parking spot?  What a ridiculous idea.  They should put a bike rack in each one.

Pete914

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:22 AM »
Technically, it's a GM two mode hybrid, which is why they could argue it is a fuel efficient vehicle.  I didn't say it was a good argument :)

foobar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:22:08 AM »
Isn't the point of a fuel efficient spot so that the big truck can be efficient and park rather than driving around the lot? I have never seen a fuel efficient spot. I have seen a ton of full size SUVs in compact spots (well normally 2 of the spots)..

Perhaps it is... in comparison to their... uh... dump truck that they normally drive?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »
so what's fuel efficient parking all about? are the spaces closer to the shops or something? or is it just for bragging rights effectively?! never come across this idea and seems a bit odd!
This is basically what it is.  They're mostly around hippy-dippy places like Whole Foods.  They really are quite silly.  I rarely see them, but they are around.  It can be satisfying to park my 25 year old rusty tiny car next to a shiny new Prius in front of Whole Foods.

MrSaturday

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »
I'm guessing the aerodynamic roof storage is what makes it so fuel efficient.  Kudos to the owner for going the DIY route on hauling his extra stuff rather than buying an 18-wheeler.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »
I'm guessing the aerodynamic roof storage is what makes it so fuel efficient.  Kudos to the owner for going the DIY route on hauling his extra stuff rather than buying an 18-wheeler.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's moving, and he had to rent this thing, and the rooftop carrier, to fit everything he owns inside.  He's just stopping here on his drive to his new home.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »
They shouldn't make fuel efficient parking spaces so huge, methinks.  It's just asking for bigguns to park there.

I do love how tiny your car looks next to that big honker. 

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »
My university has a few faculty spots that are reserved for hybrids. They are indeed closer to the building, right next to the spots for a VP of something and dean of one of the colleges.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »
The spaces reserved for fuel efficient cars should be at the BACK of the lot, as close to the entrance as possible. Driving around a parking lot and waiting for crossing pedestrians wastes gas :)