Author Topic: Frugal intentions... horribly executed  (Read 92954 times)

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
Re: Frugal intentions... horribly executed
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2017, 10:03:46 AM »
My granddad wants a DVD for Christmas, I didn't want to pay full retail for it so found one on ebay (unused) for 50% off!

It arrived this week, it's a US copy and probably won't work on their player.  God dammit.
Some friends from the UK mailed us a DVD of Twin Town a few years ago ... it's still in its wrapper.  How about a swap!!  Same as this one (I believe): https://www.ebay.com/i/191843372454?rt=nc

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
Boss took me out for lunch, insisted I keep the leftovers.

I stashed the container in my bag for the cab ride back to the office, where I discovered I have an oil patch the size of a 50 cent coin on my leather bag.

Any tips on getting oil out of leather would be most appreciated!
I've used this in the past on leather shoes: http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-grease-stains-from-leather/
I used cornstarch instead of talcum powder.
This guide is better at explaining the process: https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Grease-Stains-on-Leather
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:12:05 AM by jinga nation »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: December 21, 2017, 01:12:16 AM »
Boss took me out for lunch, insisted I keep the leftovers.

I stashed the container in my bag for the cab ride back to the office, where I discovered I have an oil patch the size of a 50 cent coin on my leather bag.

Any tips on getting oil out of leather would be most appreciated!
I've used this in the past on leather shoes: http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-grease-stains-from-leather/
I used cornstarch instead of talcum powder.
This guide is better at explaining the process: https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Grease-Stains-on-Leather

Thanks!

I covered the patch with corn flour and left it overnight.

Husband got back from a work trip this morning.

"What's on your bag?"
"Corn flour."
" ... ok."

He didn't pursue that line of questioning. :D

I dusted it off once and the mark was still there so I put more on and left it a bit longer.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #203 on: December 21, 2017, 08:02:16 AM »

Husband got back from a work trip this morning.

"What's on your bag?"
"Corn flour."
" ... ok."

He didn't pursue that line of questioning. :D

LOL!
Mine learnt not to question my "female habits" after throwing out a "stone" he found in the shower. He was seriously baffled when I got another one. He didn`t know exfoliation was a thing. (yes, it was in my pre-mustachian days)
Another one that confused him a lot was "I'm gonna take a shower, do we have chickpea flour?"

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2017, 04:52:45 PM »
There is a landfill-diversion shed at the rubbish tip where you can drop off saleable goods instead of them going to landfill. We buy stuff from there from time to time. We bought 3 outdoor chairs from the shed a few years back, very cheap and quite comfortable. We've just been leaving them out in the backyard (frost in winter, harsh sun in summer with high UV).

Anyway, DH sat in one yesterday and the fabric seat broke, irreparably. *sigh* So now we will have to pay to dispose of it in landfill. (we're not handy and there is a massive glut of second-hand goods in my city so nobody will want a broken chair)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2018, 08:00:48 AM »
We ruined our clothes iron months and months ago removing a vinyl floor - we ironed it to heat up and loosen the glue on the backing so we could pry up the tiles more easily - and I haven't bought a new one yet, because I iron DH's shirts like once a year.   Well, I needed an iron for a sewing project, so I borrowed one from our neighbor.  Turns out the interfacing I am using has somehow gone bad, or actually has a directionality I didn't realize or something, because the very first time I tried to iron it to my fabric, it literally dissolved and melted directly onto the iron.

Now I'm out my interfacing and my time, and I have to buy TWO irons - one for me and one to replace my neighbor's :(

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »
We ruined our clothes iron months and months ago removing a vinyl floor - we ironed it to heat up and loosen the glue on the backing so we could pry up the tiles more easily - and I haven't bought a new one yet, because I iron DH's shirts like once a year.   Well, I needed an iron for a sewing project, so I borrowed one from our neighbor.  Turns out the interfacing I am using has somehow gone bad, or actually has a directionality I didn't realize or something, because the very first time I tried to iron it to my fabric, it literally dissolved and melted directly onto the iron.

Now I'm out my interfacing and my time, and I have to buy TWO irons - one for me and one to replace my neighbor's :(

Yes, the little bumps on the interfacing are glue. You may be able to get it off - try dryer sheets. Warm the iron a bit and scrub with the dryer sheet. Also try googling for other methods. Maybe you can keep that one for yourself!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »

Yes, the little bumps on the interfacing are glue. You may be able to get it off - try dryer sheets. Warm the iron a bit and scrub with the dryer sheet. Also try googling for other methods. Maybe you can keep that one for yourself!

Thank you!  I'll definitely try it.

I've never had the whole thing just disappear before, but maybe this is just thin enough that choosing the wrong side was an instant disaster.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »
I've got stuck on stuff off the iron by putting it on hot and scrubbing with scrunched up tin foil.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2018, 08:03:36 AM »
One of our kids was banging on a window to scare the geese in our yard, and broke the pane.  I ordered a new pane from the mfr ($72).  When I went to install it, the new pane was slightly large (or the window frame had shrunk, or the builder had installed the frame so out of square it wouldn't fit).  In my efforts to massage it into place (it was literally like 1/32" away from fitting), I broke the new window pane.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2018, 01:03:15 AM »
My son paid for a lovely engraved desk ornament  for me a year ago.  He was 14 and selected it and paid with his own money that he earned shoveling snow.   It has a little clock in it that never ran from the day I received it.   I finally purchased the tiny watch battery from amazon this month, but had to buy 5 of them (still cheaper than just one in store).

Then I realized :
a)  That the clock had a small retainer tab on it to prevent it from running before the box was opened.  (The battery was still good after all).
b)  I found 2 more of the identical batteries in an old wallet I went to donate last week.

I now have 7 tiny watch batteries, in a size I will never need again.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: January 17, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »

Thank you!  I'll definitely try it.

I've never had the whole thing just disappear before, but maybe this is just thin enough that choosing the wrong side was an instant disaster.

Guys. This worked SO WELL, and I didn't even burn myself to make it another epic fail. Why does this work? Wtf is in dryer sheets that removes hot glue? Crazy awesomeness.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »
I don't know if this counts.

Last year my wife was after me for a newer car. AntiMustachian alert!!!

So I talked her into keeping her old car, but said we would do our best to make it more sexy. I bought $400 halo projector headlights for her car and installed them myself.

The halo on the one side always flickered a bit, then stopped working. A few months later, the whole headlight quit. On these lights the light is one assembly, there are no bulbs.

Disgusted, I fished the old headlights out of the basement, reinstalled them, and used a $10 kit from the auto store to polish the scratched lens. As good as new!

At least we didn't buy a new car!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2018, 08:49:53 PM »
DH accidentally bought kumquats instead of clementines. We don't eat kumquats and were just going to give them away, but I thought I could use them by making marmalade. I ended up spending another $10 buying not-in-season oranges, lemons, and sugar in order to make the marmalade. Sigh. Hopefully the marmalade will turn out well.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2018, 04:40:22 AM »
DH accidentally bought kumquats instead of clementines. We don't eat kumquats and were just going to give them away, but I thought I could use them by making marmalade. I ended up spending another $10 buying not-in-season oranges, lemons, and sugar in order to make the marmalade. Sigh. Hopefully the marmalade will turn out well.

You could have just prepped the kumquats and whacked them in the freezer to make marmalade when the rest was in season......

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2018, 06:25:39 AM »

You could have just prepped the kumquats and whacked them in the freezer to make marmalade when the rest was in season......

Yes, you are right...it was “horribly executed”. It’s my first time making marmalade, Google didn’t tell me that kumquats could be frozen 🤔. Btw, they turned out watery, but apparently kumquats are good for sore throats, so I’m going to add hot water. And turn it into “tea”.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »
Slice up some ginger and leave it soaking in the watery kumquat for the sore throat tea. It'd probably also be just fine as an add to muffins, pancakes etc as a flavouring (without the ginger). Probably quite simple to turn into a dessert sauce. All sorts of things you can do with kitchen screw ups!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »
Slice up some ginger and leave it soaking in the watery kumquat for the sore throat tea. It'd probably also be just fine as an add to muffins, pancakes etc as a flavouring (without the ginger). Probably quite simple to turn into a dessert sauce. All sorts of things you can do with kitchen screw ups!

Good to know! I will definitely slice up ginger and add it to the kumquat. That is an excellent idea, since there is a major flu going around right now. Most days, only half of DD's classmates show up at school.

Since chopped up kumquat can be frozen, I'm assuming watery sweetened kumquat semi-marmalade can also be frozen?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2018, 12:28:12 AM »

Good to know! I will definitely slice up ginger and add it to the kumquat. That is an excellent idea, since there is a major flu going around right now. Most days, only half of DD's classmates show up at school.

Since chopped up kumquat can be frozen, I'm assuming watery sweetened kumquat semi-marmalade can also be frozen?

If you have honey, add that as well. It will last forever in the fridge. I always make up a batch of ginger, lemon peel and honey to keep in the fridge at flu season.

Yes, watery semi marmalade can be frozen! If you really wanted to, you could just reboil it to make actual marmalade, but it's probably more versatile as it is. Freeze it in portions of about a cup, and add to a cake. It'll be a lovely flavour, but a more pudding like texture. Add it instead of a bit of the milk and a bit of the sugar. You could add a bit to cream cheese and icing sugar to make a lovely icing or filling, add to softened vanilla ice cream and re freeze, add a little to smoothies, the possibilities are endless.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2018, 05:00:29 AM »
This guy I used to work for was from China originally. He was a scientist but sometimes didn't use his thinking cap. One time, in the winter, he took his family to FL for a vacation. He turned off his heat to save money. Up here in CT a lot of homes are water baseboard heat. Well, sure enough, his pipes froze and busted and water went everywhere ruining floors and walls. His insurance company paid of ton of money to fix the mess. So much for saving money by shutting off the heat...

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: January 24, 2018, 01:15:18 PM »
I had one of these a few days ago...  The weather was really nice after a few days of below freezing temperatures, and we needed to pick up some groceries.  We live in a food desert so we are really excited about a new grocery store within biking distance.  I convince my DH to ride our bikes there and back.  On the way there, about a block from the store, my tricycle gets a flat.  We call our friend that borrowed our pick-up to come get us.  She is in the middle of picking up flooring, so we ended up taking the bus home. 

In the end, we spent $2.50 on the bus and the gas for a round trip with the pick-up truck to get the bikes.  If we would of driven my small car, we would have used a lot less gas and saved about an hour of time.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: February 16, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
On the way there, about a block from the store, my tricycle gets a flat. 

You still had two good tires...where's that mustachian spirit?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »
I've been watching a 20-something (I think) college kid in our town ride a bicycle with a flat tire for months now. Don't know why he doesn't repair it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »
I've been watching a 20-something (I think) college kid in our town ride a bicycle with a flat tire for months now. Don't know why he doesn't repair it.
Maybe he's leaving it that way so he gets extra exercise?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »
Looked like a pain in the backside with the flat tire rolling this way and that (sideways). A new tube is $10 locally. Tire prob the same. He'd prob be better off just taking the tire off and riding the bare rim. 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: May 26, 2018, 05:42:36 AM »
I was following the budget grocery thread here and saw 2 kilos of chicken parts on mega sale as they were expiring the next day.  I bought a package and lugged it home only to find that they smelled 'off' so I had to chuck them.  Bringing groceries back to the store is not a 'thing' here so buyer beware.  Not doing that again.

Happily Irrelevant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2018, 05:51:23 PM »
Son and his wife have the first grandchild.  My wife is of course excited and decided that she will get back into sewing just to make him outfits.  Buys a $7500 sewing machine (that is not a typo) so she can make outfits that we can buy at Costco for about $12 each.  After about 5 outfits she starts buying them at Costco.  She is now into knitting. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »
This one's about a family friend.

He's a serious environmentalist and really tight, to the point of annoying his wife. The light above the kitchen sink is 10w of dimness (this is pre-LED). The AC is set to 85 at night, and it's humid, so everything is sticky.

He decides that the front door needs to be closed immediately whenever someone leaves. When the wife is at work, he connects some old window iron as counterweights so that the door swings shut. Wife comes home, gets bonked by the door, screaming match ensues. That was the final straw and, needless to say, he's now divorced.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »
Son and his wife have the first grandchild.  My wife is of course excited and decided that she will get back into sewing just to make him outfits.  Buys a $7500 sewing machine (that is not a typo) so she can make outfits that we can buy at Costco for about $12 each.  After about 5 outfits she starts buying them at Costco.  She is now into knitting.

I hope you can sell it at least. And next time, remind her of this adventure.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
I've started sewing a bit, and I thought the $1500 machine I saw (didn't buy) was high end.  $7500?!?  Maybe it does embroidery or something too?  Wow.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »
I've started sewing a bit, and I thought the $1500 machine I saw (didn't buy) was high end.  $7500?!?  Maybe it does embroidery or something too?  Wow.
It must be what the astronauts use to do their taxes.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2018, 11:39:24 AM »
Several years ago I HAD to have a bread maker. I bought one of the top of the line ones and bought all the things to make bread. Made a few loaves and there it sits like a giant statue on the top of my refrigerator.

Then I HAD to have the Instant Pot. The one that is the biggest size and cost. I have used it a few times and it isn't the greatest thing on earth that everyone seems to think it is! It has made a few batches of yogurt and now sits in a closet.

HAD TO HAVE THIS STUFF!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »
This one's about a family friend.

He's a serious environmentalist and really tight, to the point of annoying his wife. The light above the kitchen sink is 10w of dimness (this is pre-LED). The AC is set to 85 at night, and it's humid, so everything is sticky.

He decides that the front door needs to be closed immediately whenever someone leaves. When the wife is at work, he connects some old window iron as counterweights so that the door swings shut. Wife comes home, gets bonked by the door, screaming match ensues. That was the final straw and, needless to say, he's now divorced.
Nobody likes a cheapskate. Alas, he probably exhibited these tendencies prior to marriage. Buyer beware. Good story, though!

Happily Irrelevant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »

It does embroidery.  She would have it embroider little animals on his onesies.  But they outgrow everything so fast it quickly proved to not be worth investing the time.  She uses it every now and again to make herself yoga pants or just to sew cell phone pockets on the store bought ones.   

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2018, 07:09:33 AM »
A bit different from the other submissions in this thread, but I think it still fits.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2018, 07:25:15 AM »

$1500 is like the lowest end Bernina you can get.

I have a $3000 machine. It does not do embroidery without an add on module. It kicks the pants off the $500 machine I had previously (and even more so the $200 machine before that). The motor is amazing. It's all metal parts. I appreciated the dealer who sold me the "sewing computer" describing it's features in terms of mechanics, and not "look it does all these alphabest stitches (that no one will ever use).  It is extremely high quality.

I have friends with $12,000 machines (they do embroider). They do some cool stuff, but no way...
(Domestic sit down sewing machines; I also have friends with long arm quilting machines - those cost in the ten thousands too)

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »
Several years ago I HAD to have a bread maker. I bought one of the top of the line ones and bought all the things to make bread. Made a few loaves and there it sits like a giant statue on the top of my refrigerator.

Then I HAD to have the Instant Pot. The one that is the biggest size and cost. I have used it a few times and it isn't the greatest thing on earth that everyone seems to think it is! It has made a few batches of yogurt and now sits in a closet.

HAD TO HAVE THIS STUFF!
My husband keeps bugging me about a bread maker. I keep telling him no. Then he brings up the bread maker he gave me and my roommate in college. Basically, his mom bummed hers off on his in college, then he gave it to us. I didnt want it but my roommate said yes. So we had it about two and a half years. Itd go in the hall closet, then into storage with the rest of our stuff for the summer, and then into the hall closet at the new place. I left it for my roommate to deal with when I moved out.

I think the real kicker is, I made bread by hand at least once a week in college.. never sandwich but French, rolls, breadsticks. We graduated college in 2012 and to this day neither my husband nor my college roommate have made bread from scratch.

I did buy myself an instant pot for black Friday 2016. I use it about once a week. Especially for rice, because I can't seem to make rice on the stove to save my life. Also use it for beans, meat, and one pot meals. I am disappointed that so far I haven't had luck with the slow cook feature, because I'd like it to replace the crockpot too.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »
When I worked I used to buy silverware at garage sales and bring them to work. Then I noticed people throwing stuff away instead of washing it so I quit. Then I just brought stuff for me and kept it in my office.
I knew that the US is a country of savages, but ... WTF

There's an entire subculture of people who genuinely don't care about anything except getting their immediate needs met. Whether someone else's belongings end up in a landfill isn't a blip on their radar screen. These are people who show up to your house when it's not a mealtime demanding to be fed, expect to get the food "to go", and expect to take the plate, the utensils, the glass, and everything else with them because something else so much more important is occurring. They will not eat at a table and frequently migrate to other rooms in the house, spilling drinks and dribbling crumbs as they go, and they will not clean up the spills or messes they make because they prefer for them to be ground into the flooring. They treat their own homes and apartments the same way, which is why their belongings are generally stained and smell like spoiled milk.

If you see someone tossing cutlery or plates into the trash and they aren't disposable items, NEVER invite them to your home, never go to visit theirs, and definitely don't accept an offer of shared food.

I know I can't hit people on account of laws and stuff, but... when I see people do stuff like this I really want to give them a backhand to the ear. Not a face punch that would actually hurt, but just enough to surprise them. Then when they give me that "you can't do that, there are rules" look, I'll say "That's so you will never forget this moment. Now dig that fork out of the trash and wash it".

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: June 26, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »
I once biked to the bike shop carrying a bike rather than driving 1.5 miles to drop it off. I actually succeeded but once I arrived I realized I didn't know how to dismount so I more or less fell to one side. It wasn't pretty but it worked. After leaving the shop and feeling rather proud of myself I noticed a tear down the side of my shorts I had bought just a couple days ago. $8 shorts to save ~$1.00 driving cost. For shame.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2018, 03:12:29 PM »
in line with potatoes going through security.  DH was deployed last year and on his way home has to go through a few airports and customs stops with his bags.  First stop out of country the Xray guy gets a real weird look on his face and starts speaking very rapidly to the security guy.  DH thinks shit...I know I turned in all my weapons stuff, maybe ammo?  Security guy comes over and starts going through the bag while lecturing DH on morality.  Husband is completely clueless, until the guy pulls out a huge silver tube....of aluminum foil that had unrolled and DH tried to stick back on.  Apparently it looked like a dildo to a Middle Eastern Xray tech.

This proceeded to happen at three different checkpoints.  I go to DH, why didn't you just throw out the aluminum foil?  He goes, but it cost like 2 bucks!  I went and how much time did you waste getting home being pulled over and risking detention over a misunderstanding..

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #240 on: June 26, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
in line with potatoes going through security.  DH was deployed last year and on his way home has to go through a few airports and customs stops with his bags.  First stop out of country the Xray guy gets a real weird look on his face and starts speaking very rapidly to the security guy.  DH thinks shit...I know I turned in all my weapons stuff, maybe ammo?  Security guy comes over and starts going through the bag while lecturing DH on morality.  Husband is completely clueless, until the guy pulls out a huge silver tube....of aluminum foil that had unrolled and DH tried to stick back on.  Apparently it looked like a dildo to a Middle Eastern Xray tech.

This proceeded to happen at three different checkpoints.  I go to DH, why didn't you just throw out the aluminum foil?  He goes, but it cost like 2 bucks!  I went and how much time did you waste getting home being pulled over and risking detention over a misunderstanding..

Reminds me of that one scene from "Spinal Tap".

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »
I once biked to the bike shop carrying a bike rather than driving 1.5 miles to drop it off. I actually succeeded but once I arrived I realized I didn't know how to dismount so I more or less fell to one side. It wasn't pretty but it worked. After leaving the shop and feeling rather proud of myself I noticed a tear down the side of my shorts I had bought just a couple days ago. $8 shorts to save ~$1.00 driving cost. For shame.

This is seriously badass. No joke. Tearing the clothes costs the money, but being able to bike around carrying a bike means earning $7 really shouldn't be hard for you.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #242 on: July 02, 2018, 10:35:35 AM »
If he didn't miss (or delay) his flight, how much time did he really lose? Just time waiting at an airport. Perhaps he would have done something productive that is worth more than $2, or dealing with security cost more "happiness" than is worth $2, but that's not really a given.