Author Topic: Frugal intentions... horribly executed  (Read 92980 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Frugal intentions... horribly executed
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2017, 01:01:51 AM »
I have done this with laundry detergent. The big, cheaper per ounce (sometimes) bottle is too awkward to handle regularly, so I wanted to put it in the smaller bottle. I can't really hold the spigot and the smaller bottle, so I set up the larger bottle to come out the vent...It splurted out, all over the floor and me and goodness knows what else.

The trick is to do this, while holding the smaller bottle over the open laundry machine (I have a top loader).   Any detergent spills become the soap for the next load.  And yes, I unfortunately know exactly what you mean from this description.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2017, 01:37:49 AM »
Okay, this story wasn't HORRIBLY executed but I was trying so hard to be a bad ass Mustachian I forgot to be a regular person:

The second hand on my bathroom clock was stuck.  It was still "trying" to tick, so I googled Wikihow.  I disassembled the clock.  I took off the hands, even removed and opened the clock movement (and learned what that was).  Nothing I could see.  I googled another YouTube video and the very helpful watch repair woman said that, first of all, try a new battery because that is often the problem EVEN if the second hand is trying to move.

Yup.  Just needed a new battery.  But I was able to put the clock back together and it works!  So I am both embarrassed AND proud.  I usually don't ever try to "DIY" and am trying to grow some MMM stubble here.

I wasn't sure where to post this.  I have far more shameful anti-mustachian moments, but sadly most of those were just me being lazy or hedonistic.  Lots of ignorance too, though.

MY husband is very into English  military history. When a family member was visiting London, I got them to purchase a military-style museum clock I knew he wanted, and bring it back. I gave it to him for Xmas, he loved it. We set it up, and everything works except for the seconds hand. I told him, no worries, I'll take it to a repairer. Nope no no, he was sure he could do it himself (I love my DH, but he is NOT handy. He thinks he is, but he's really not).

So, he takes apart the electrical part, managing to break the backing plate, pulls the clock open, and tiny cogs and springs go everywhere. We try and try (with youtube help) but cant get it back together. I again suggest I'll take it to the shop. No, he says, he will take down our kitchen clock and use those internal mechanisms in this  one.

So, off we go, round two. He manages to disassemble clock 2 with only a bent minute arm, but the internal mechanism doesn't fit with the museum clock. Tries to put kitchen clock back together, will not fit back in and work, drops it, manages to land it in the pile of cogs from clock #1, now the ground is covered in teeny metal parts belonging to one of the two now-useless clocks. At this time, I sneak out.

Eventually, I find him on google, ordering two different sixed internal clock mechanisms on Google.  They arrive, neither fit, DH manages to damage both. At this point, it is Clocks:4, DH:0.  It is now jammed in a box somewhere with our broken kitchen clock and the two google mechanisms.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »
11ducks - hilarious.  Your husband sounds just like my husband.  :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
Hey that's how I got my DIY start as a little kid. I broke far more than I repaired for several years. Its only taken 40 years to get where I'm at now - which is repairing more than a break by a little bit.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »
@11ducks -- I remember as a pre-teen thinking that it would be fun to take my bike apart to see how everything worked.  And then, with it in pieces in front of me, I thought, "oh, shit."

Luckily, I did manage to get it back together correctly.  :-)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
I did the same thing with my rollerblades. What a surprise when I found a million little metal balls that rolled all over my driveway. The rollerblades were never the same after that :(

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »
Y'all just needed older tinkers around. I knew all about how the mechanical stuff went back together from watching the fail. For some reason, they must have played with the chemistry set when I was around, because that and mixing stuff together in the bathroom certainly allowed me to wreak havoc.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »

Gah.  I do this sort of thing all the time, if it makes you feel any better.  Like the other night I put my half-drunk glass of tea in the fridge for the next day, and in the morning DH opened the fridge door and it fell out on top of him; unfortunately, he was wearing his suit and nice white shirt on his way out the door for an important meeting, so he had to change, wash the shirt, hope the stains came out (they did), and then rush out the door late (and very pissed off).

I'm getting anxious just reading that!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »
Okay, this story wasn't HORRIBLY executed but I was trying so hard to be a bad ass Mustachian I forgot to be a regular person:

The second hand on my bathroom clock was stuck.  It was still "trying" to tick, so I googled Wikihow.  I disassembled the clock.  I took off the hands, even removed and opened the clock movement (and learned what that was).  Nothing I could see.  I googled another YouTube video and the very helpful watch repair woman said that, first of all, try a new battery because that is often the problem EVEN if the second hand is trying to move.

Yup.  Just needed a new battery.  But I was able to put the clock back together and it works!  So I am both embarrassed AND proud.  I usually don't ever try to "DIY" and am trying to grow some MMM stubble here.

I wasn't sure where to post this.  I have far more shameful anti-mustachian moments, but sadly most of those were just me being lazy or hedonistic.  Lots of ignorance too, though.

MY husband is very into English  military history. When a family member was visiting London, I got them to purchase a military-style museum clock I knew he wanted, and bring it back. I gave it to him for Xmas, he loved it. We set it up, and everything works except for the seconds hand. I told him, no worries, I'll take it to a repairer. Nope no no, he was sure he could do it himself (I love my DH, but he is NOT handy. He thinks he is, but he's really not).

So, he takes apart the electrical part, managing to break the backing plate, pulls the clock open, and tiny cogs and springs go everywhere. We try and try (with youtube help) but cant get it back together. I again suggest I'll take it to the shop. No, he says, he will take down our kitchen clock and use those internal mechanisms in this  one.

So, off we go, round two. He manages to disassemble clock 2 with only a bent minute arm, but the internal mechanism doesn't fit with the museum clock. Tries to put kitchen clock back together, will not fit back in and work, drops it, manages to land it in the pile of cogs from clock #1, now the ground is covered in teeny metal parts belonging to one of the two now-useless clocks. At this time, I sneak out.

Eventually, I find him on google, ordering two different sixed internal clock mechanisms on Google.  They arrive, neither fit, DH manages to damage both. At this point, it is Clocks:4, DH:0.  It is now jammed in a box somewhere with our broken kitchen clock and the two google mechanisms.

Did anyone else read this and recall the part of "Alice in Wonderland" where they're fixing the White Rabbit's watch and putting like butter and jam in it?

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »
I did a home DIY project on the electrical system in my truck back before YouTube was a thing. A door alarm was broken and kept dinging. I figured it was the switch, took it all apart, cut the wire to it and presto, truck fixed! In my excitement I forgot to tape the now exposed wire off. Putting it back together it hit the ground, sparked, and my headlights, radio, inside lights, turn signals, etc were all dead.

Limped it to the repair place and got to explain how I turned a $4 problem into a $400 by being an idiot :(

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2017, 01:48:47 PM »
I did a home DIY project on the electrical system in my truck back before YouTube was a thing. A door alarm was broken and kept dinging. I figured it was the switch, took it all apart, cut the wire to it and presto, truck fixed! In my excitement I forgot to tape the now exposed wire off. Putting it back together it hit the ground, sparked, and my headlights, radio, inside lights, turn signals, etc were all dead.

Limped it to the repair place and got to explain how I turned a $4 problem into a $400 by being an idiot :(
I almost did that once by forgetting to disconnect the battery before poking a screwdriver around near my starter motor.  Holy shit, do not do that.  Scary stuff.  Luckily I didn't die, and nothing bad happened to the car either, but sparks did fly (literally).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2017, 02:43:37 PM »

I almost did that once by forgetting to disconnect the battery before poking a screwdriver around near my starter motor.  Holy shit, do not do that.  Scary stuff.  Luckily I didn't die, and nothing bad happened to the car either, but sparks did fly (literally).

I did something similar using my screwdriver to remove a done bulb.  Luckily it was just a 25 cent fuse.  Why wasn’t the door wire fused???

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2017, 01:54:04 AM »
If we make stews or soups, we often make extra to freeze for lunches or dinners later on.

Tonight I had a leftover pumpkin soup that I found in the freezer and was looking forward to it because pumpkin soup usually freezes pretty well.

Unfortunately it was pretty gross which is an achievement for pumpkin soup. The texture had also gone very strange, a bit claggy/gluey. Bleah. (I must have done something a bit creative with the soup when I first made it)

I got through as much as I could by judicious use of stock powder to mask the worst of the flavour but I just couldn't do the last bowlful without retching. Unfortunately my response to food I don't like isn't just 'I don't like that food' - I retch and gag and it can put me off eating that particular food for a while. So I mixed it with some water and poured it on the compost.

:(

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
Unfortunately it was pretty gross which is an achievement for pumpkin soup. The texture had also gone very strange, a bit claggy/gluey. Bleah. (I must have done something a bit creative with the soup when I first made it)

I got through as much as I could by judicious use of stock powder to mask the worst of the flavour but I just couldn't do the last bowlful without retching.

LOL - no thought of throwing it out immediately. Nope, it's food, it's still "good". This thread is so enlightening because one can see oneself in many of the posts.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »
If we make stews or soups, we often make extra to freeze for lunches or dinners later on.

Tonight I had a leftover pumpkin soup that I found in the freezer and was looking forward to it because pumpkin soup usually freezes pretty well.

I got through as much as I could by judicious use of stock powder to mask the worst of the flavour but I just couldn't do the last bowlful without retching. Unfortunately my response to food I don't like isn't just 'I don't like that food' - I retch and gag and it can put me off eating that particular food for a while. So I mixed it with some water and poured it on the compost.

The last lot of pumpkin soup I froze separated into water and pumpkin pulp, which was a horrible new accomplishment.

I agree - it usually freezes really well!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2017, 12:08:07 AM »

I got through as much as I could by judicious use of stock powder to mask the worst of the flavour but I just couldn't do the last bowlful without retching.

LOL - no thought of throwing it out immediately. Nope, it's food, it's still "good". This thread is so enlightening because one can see oneself in many of the posts.

https://youtu.be/MWvevkE0kAI

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: November 12, 2017, 09:20:08 AM »
A near miss: I replaced the battery on my car. I've done this at least five or six times before on various cars. Great, the car now starts. But now it keeps stalling every time I let off the gas. Did I do something wrong, or was the problem that caused me to replace the battery more serious than I thought?

I have little faith in Canadian Tire's ability to fix anything, but it's close and I can make it there despite the stalling. After a communication fiasco involving not being able to connect with them on the phone, I find out they couldn't figure it out, but suggested some useless things which I declined. I called a Subaru dealer and they told me what to do over the phone. I picked up the keys from Canadian Tire and fixed it in the parking lot in 15 minutes.

The real mistake here was not checking on line if there were any quirks to replacing a battery on this model of car. If I had then a lot less time would have been wasted. It didn't really cost me anything other than time though.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2017, 09:22:20 AM »
I posted this one in my Journal a while back, but it seemed appropriate here:

My wife keeps her eyes open for deals and found a nice little butcher shop that has a good price for the goat cheese we buy due to the boy's cow milk allergy. She picked up some ground beef too and made chili. The chili tasted odd and was full of chunks of bone or gristle. She went back to the butcher and realized that she had bought dog food. If the price seems too good to be true...

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: November 12, 2017, 07:49:03 PM »

The last lot of pumpkin soup I froze separated into water and pumpkin pulp, which was a horrible new accomplishment.

I've had this happen with starchy soups lots of times.  Just biz it up again (I use an immersion blender).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2017, 07:50:54 PM »

I've had this happen with starchy soups lots of times.  Just biz it up again (I use an immersion blender).

So do I when I'm at home. At work I had the high-tech options of spoon or fork available.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2017, 10:56:55 PM »
^^ If I'm reheating soup from the freezer for a meal, it's because I'm too tired/out of spoons to eat anything else. So re-blitzing with a mixer is never going to happen.

I posted this one in my Journal a while back, but it seemed appropriate here:

My wife keeps her eyes open for deals and found a nice little butcher shop that has a good price for the goat cheese we buy due to the boy's cow milk allergy. She picked up some ground beef too and made chili. The chili tasted odd and was full of chunks of bone or gristle. She went back to the butcher and realized that she had bought dog food. If the price seems too good to be true...

Oh no... :(

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #171 on: November 13, 2017, 10:46:26 PM »
I'm not sure this quite fits the theme of the thread, but have to share...

I recently got a new expensive ergonomic mouse at work to replace my old expensive ergonomic mouse.

What happened to my old expensive ergonomic mouse? The left click button was starting to misbehave: releasing when I didn't want it to and double or triple clicking when I single-clicked. I did some digging online and the likely problem is that the switch under the button was going bad. There's a few helpful webpages explaining how it can be fixed. You have to take the mouse apart, open up the switch, remove a fiddly little metal piece, bend it, reinstall it, and then put everything back together.

I did contact our ergo specialist to see what the process was for getting a new mouse. But my due dates were far enough off that I felt comfortable taking some time to try to fix it myself. So I brought in a set of mini screwdrivers and started taking things apart. Only a couple of the fasteners came out easy. I don't know if they used some sort of glue, but it took 2-3 hours over 2 days to remove all the pieces to get to the switch. Opening the switch, removing the fiddly little metal piece, and bending it went pretty fast, but I tinkered with it for another 1-2 hours and never was able to get the little metal piece re-installed.

So I ended up having to order a new mouse.

If you add up the time, I spent 3-5 hours of on-the-clock time trying to fix the mouse. My gross salary for that time would have purchased two of these things. I don't know the exact wrap rate my employer charges its customers, but am guessing they technically started losing money 1/2 hour into this little side project. But at the same time, we were sort of in a lull, so that time wasn't necessarily going to be productive anyway.

I brought the mouse home and purchased a soldering iron and desoldering pump. My plan is to disassemble one of the spare mice I've picked up over the years and use a switch from that to replace the switch I was unable to put the fiddly little metal piece back into. But I've been procrastinating on it for a while now, so the soldering iron and desoldering pump could be considered a waste of money, and will continue to be until I follow through and try to make the repair.   

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »
Decided to save on potatoes. Instead of buying the amount I needed, I picked up a big bulk bag of them.

Was going to use them today, and all of them were soft and wrinkly. Boh.

How long ago did you buy them?  If they haven't gone bad, you can peel them and stick them in ice water for a few hours, and they will plump back up (jr. high science experiment I actually remember -- and use!).

This batch was sadly already on the wrong side of the tracks. The wrinkles matched with a distinctive "we probally shouldnt eat that"-smell.

Good call.  Or you could have been in the next iteration of this thread, detailing your hospital visit from trying to save 10 cents on a potato.  ;-)

And revisiting August’s discussion:  last week DH was out of town, so I didn’t really cook, so I didn’t have leftovers to bring to the office.  To avoid running out and grabbing a $12 salad, I scrounged for stuff I had brought in previously and found some Eggbeaters in the fridge that I had forgotten about.  Lunch solved! 

Later that afternoon, I didn’t feel awesome, so I figured the eggbeaters must have gone off and emailed my assistant to ask her to pitch the rest of it.  The next day, I get in and she is laughing at me:  the expiration date on the carton was, well, right about the time we were discussing spoiled potatoes.  Guess I got off light! 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »

You made other MM's laugh with you, and you honed your DIY confidence. This was a win.
Indeed. Go, Ann!
Or maybe that should read: "Grow, Ann!"

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »
Bought an allegedly new pair of running shoes on ebay, at what I thought was a good price even after shipping costs (they're expensive in Canada).

Picked them up at the post office today.  The shipper used DHL (gahhh) which resulted in a COD charge of over $46.  $19 in duties, $17 in taxes, $10 in "fees" (I'd already paid the seller for shipping).  Shipping in the listing led me to believe they'd be using USPS, which always arrives just fine with no extra charges.

To make matters worse, the shoes are most definitely not new - the soles are dirty and there's a rub A5-35-like aroma.  Yuck.

No point in sending them back, since I am already out the $46.  Shitshitshit.  Anyway I wrote the seller and included pics of the time-stamped receipt, and the dirty soles.  I wish I could've included a scratch-n-sniff pic as well.

Grrr.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »
Bought an allegedly new pair of running shoes on ebay, at what I thought was a good price even after shipping costs (they're expensive in Canada).

Picked them up at the post office today.  The shipper used DHL (gahhh) which resulted in a COD charge of over $46.  $19 in duties, $17 in taxes, $10 in "fees" (I'd already paid the seller for shipping).  Shipping in the listing led me to believe they'd be using USPS, which always arrives just fine with no extra charges.

To make matters worse, the shoes are most definitely not new - the soles are dirty and there's a rub A5-35-like aroma.  Yuck.

No point in sending them back, since I am already out the $46.  Shitshitshit.  Anyway I wrote the seller and included pics of the time-stamped receipt, and the dirty soles.  I wish I could've included a scratch-n-sniff pic as well.

Grrr.

So frustrating.

Sellers like that give eBay a bad name.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2017, 12:40:26 AM »

Grrr.
I've been hit by that DHL thing... to the point where I nearly refused the item.   

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2017, 07:47:36 AM »

Grrr.

So frustrating.

This happened to me on eBay - bought a “new without tags” suit for work. It arrived covered in hairs and smelling of perfume. I just opened a case and got a full refund. Didn’t even have to return it I don’t think. And if it said shipping would be one thing and they did another, isn’t that misselling? I’d ask for a refund for the charges as well. They said one thing and did another (assuming it was explicit in the listing) so they are responsible. But maybe consumer protection laws are less strict over there? Seems like shops are more lenient though - I’ve heard of people returning opened makeup just because they don’t like the colour and that would not fly here.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2017, 05:41:26 PM »

Grrr.

So frustrating.

This happened to me on eBay - bought a “new without tags” suit for work. It arrived covered in hairs and smelling of perfume. I just opened a case and got a full refund. Didn’t even have to return it I don’t think. And if it said shipping would be one thing and they did another, isn’t that misselling? I’d ask for a refund for the charges as well. They said one thing and did another (assuming it was explicit in the listing) so they are responsible. But maybe consumer protection laws are less strict over there? Seems like shops are more lenient though - I’ve heard of people returning opened makeup just because they don’t like the colour and that would not fly here.

I've been hit by that DHL thing... to the point where I nearly refused the item.   

Update - here's the seller's pathetic answer, followed by my response:

Thank you for contacting us!

I do apologize that the shoes you received were not as you expected. Please note that we are an outlet warehouse selling overstock/liquidation items, some of which have been subject to many try-ons along with numerous shipping and handling before they reach us. Shoes can have scuffs and small signs of wear due to trying on multiple times in a retail environment.

As you may know, it is required by your local government to pay duties and taxes on items coming into the country that are valued at $20 CAN or more. Our shipping carrier pays these duties and taxes for you upfront. In return, Canada Post has to pay these Duties and taxes back to our shipping carrier (DHL). Canada Post then Charges you a $10 handling fee to collect these Duties and taxes, and returns the duties and taxes owed back to DHL.

Please let me know if I can assist you any further as your feedback matters. All of us here at BHFO appreciate your business.

Sincerely, ...
---------------------------
Apologies, but the description does NOT match the item I received, in terms of wear.  The photos I sent you on the same day I received the item show that the wear is more than just in-store try-ons.  You listed them with the following description/classification:

New without box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) that is not in original packaging or may be missing original packaging materials (such as the original box or bag). The original tags may not be attached. For example, new shoes (with absolutely no signs of wear) that are no longer in their original box fall into this category

How can you possibly claim that the shoes that I received show ABSOLUTELY NO SIGNS OF WEAR?  I can attach the photos again if you need to see them.  These shoes were clearly worn outside.  They show dirt, creases, and they smell.

Check the feedback I leave for other sellers please.  I am an honest purchaser and was expecting a new set of shoes.

Moreover, you didn't say anywhere in your description of the item that you use DHL for shipping.

Had I known this, I would NEVER have purchased these shoes.  I avoid DHL like the plague.

Please check the feedback I've left for other sellers.  I've been on ebay since 1999 and have never had a purchase go so very wrong.

----------------------------

Thanks for letting me vent.  I am about as pissed off about this as I ever get.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2017, 02:03:21 AM »

Grrr.

So frustrating.

Update - here's the seller's pathetic answer, followed by my response:

Thank you for contacting us!

I do apologize that the shoes you received were not as you expected. Please note that we are an outlet warehouse selling overstock/liquidation items, some of which have been subject to many try-ons along with numerous shipping and handling before they reach us. Shoes can have scuffs and small signs of wear due to trying on multiple times in a retail environment.

As you may know, it is required by your local government to pay duties and taxes on items coming into the country that are valued at $20 CAN or more. Our shipping carrier pays these duties and taxes for you upfront. In return, Canada Post has to pay these Duties and taxes back to our shipping carrier (DHL). Canada Post then Charges you a $10 handling fee to collect these Duties and taxes, and returns the duties and taxes owed back to DHL.

Please let me know if I can assist you any further as your feedback matters. All of us here at BHFO appreciate your business.

Sincerely, ...
---------------------------
Apologies, but the description does NOT match the item I received, in terms of wear.  The photos I sent you on the same day I received the item show that the wear is more than just in-store try-ons.  You listed them with the following description/classification:

New without box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) that is not in original packaging or may be missing original packaging materials (such as the original box or bag). The original tags may not be attached. For example, new shoes (with absolutely no signs of wear) that are no longer in their original box fall into this category

How can you possibly claim that the shoes that I received show ABSOLUTELY NO SIGNS OF WEAR?  I can attach the photos again if you need to see them.  These shoes were clearly worn outside.  They show dirt, creases, and they smell.

Check the feedback I leave for other sellers please.  I am an honest purchaser and was expecting a new set of shoes.

Moreover, you didn't say anywhere in your description of the item that you use DHL for shipping.

Had I known this, I would NEVER have purchased these shoes.  I avoid DHL like the plague.

Please check the feedback I've left for other sellers.  I've been on ebay since 1999 and have never had a purchase go so very wrong.

----------------------------

Thanks for letting me vent.  I am about as pissed off about this as I ever get.

I didn't pay for those shoes, and that response still makes me steam.

I  think the seller might be right about the shoes only being worn in a (very dirty) warehouse, but that's irrelevant. They didn't write that the shoes show no signs of wear from a customer that bought them.

This is answer is like you telling them that yes, I bought your shoes for §100, but as you may know, Christmas is coming. Apart from your shoes, I have to pay for gifts and food for my family. Therefore the actual amount I pay you will be §60. Please let me know if you have any other questions I can give deflective and meaningless answers to.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »
Decided to save on potatoes. Instead of buying the amount I needed, I picked up a big bulk bag of them.

Was going to use them today, and all of them were soft and wrinkly. Boh.

How long ago did you buy them?  If they haven't gone bad, you can peel them and stick them in ice water for a few hours, and they will plump back up (jr. high science experiment I actually remember -- and use!).

This batch was sadly already on the wrong side of the tracks. The wrinkles matched with a distinctive "we probally shouldnt eat that"-smell.

Good call.  Or you could have been in the next iteration of this thread, detailing your hospital visit from trying to save 10 cents on a potato.  ;-)

And revisiting August’s discussion:  last week DH was out of town, so I didn’t really cook, so I didn’t have leftovers to bring to the office.  To avoid running out and grabbing a $12 salad, I scrounged for stuff I had brought in previously and found some Eggbeaters in the fridge that I had forgotten about.  Lunch solved! 

Later that afternoon, I didn’t feel awesome, so I figured the eggbeaters must have gone off and emailed my assistant to ask her to pitch the rest of it.  The next day, I get in and she is laughing at me:  the expiration date on the carton was, well, right about the time we were discussing spoiled potatoes.  Guess I got off light!

Lol at potatoes.

Not long ago my husband decided to try a diet where he would eat almost nothing but potatoes.  This included a single steamed potato for lunch.  Obviously this was far from sustainable but we made it through the big bag of spuds.

Weeks later we're on our way through security to catch a flight.  DH never cleans out his backpack, so it's full of pens, old gum, ibuprofen, scrap paper from work, broken headphones, etc.  There's so much junk that it's no surprise when his bag gets pulled out of the x-ray line for a manual search.  A quick search later, we get the greenlight and move on.

We get to our gate and DH decides to pull out a book.  As he digs in, he finds not one, not two, but three raw potatoes he had shoved in his bag and forgotten about.  I like to think the x-ray tech was staring at the screen trying to figure out what the fuck those things are.  Then the guy who searched the bag must have had the thought "Well I guess there's no rule saying you can't carry on potatoes."

So we flew to the wedding with potatoes.  At least we found them before they started to shrivel.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #181 on: November 24, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »
A few years ago my company bought automatic dispensers that made terrible coffee for just .25 $, and the first week it was completely free. The whole office went apeshit, everybody was drinking 5+ coffees per day. The thing is, the only mugs available were styrofoam cups, and everybody was making heaps of garbage.
I went to HR to bring up the issue, and they said they couldn't not provide the cups (bullshit, people will bring their own mugs on day 2 or 3) but they'd look into providing reusable mugs. I suggested a trip to the thrift store and buying a bunch for .50 $ each, but my solution was dismissed with no real reason.
After a few weeks HR calls me in their office, to proudly show me the solution they found: they ordered cheap plastic travel mugs with the company logo, and gave one to each permanent employé. WITHOUT stopping to provide the styrofoam disponsable ones.
People used the travel mugs a couple of times, but pretty much stopped when they were too dirty, they didn't bother washing them. It made me so angry!
Anyway, in all this at some point I went to the thrift store myself and bought a few dozens, all different, and lots of people actually "adopted" them as their own office mugs, thus stopping to use styrofoam or plastic ones altogether. I don't cake I spent my own dollars on them, I just could't ignore those heaps of garbage and do nothing about it. A few times I even stayed a bit longer in the office to collect the dirty ceramic mugs from under the desks, wash them and made them available again for my workmates.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: November 24, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
Kitsunegari, you're my kind of frugal girl!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »
A few years ago my company bought automatic dispensers that made terrible coffee for just .25 $, and the first week it was completely free. The whole office went apeshit, everybody was drinking 5+ coffees per day. The thing is, the only mugs available were styrofoam cups, and everybody was making heaps of garbage.
I went to HR to bring up the issue, and they said they couldn't not provide the cups (bullshit, people will bring their own mugs on day 2 or 3) but they'd look into providing reusable mugs. I suggested a trip to the thrift store and buying a bunch for .50 $ each, but my solution was dismissed with no real reason.
After a few weeks HR calls me in their office, to proudly show me the solution they found: they ordered cheap plastic travel mugs with the company logo, and gave one to each permanent employé. WITHOUT stopping to provide the styrofoam disponsable ones.
People used the travel mugs a couple of times, but pretty much stopped when they were too dirty, they didn't bother washing them. It made me so angry!
Anyway, in all this at some point I went to the thrift store myself and bought a few dozens, all different, and lots of people actually "adopted" them as their own office mugs, thus stopping to use styrofoam or plastic ones altogether. I don't cake I spent my own dollars on them, I just could't ignore those heaps of garbage and do nothing about it. A few times I even stayed a bit longer in the office to collect the dirty ceramic mugs from under the desks, wash them and made them available again for my workmates.

Awesome. Sometimes the best way is to lead by example.

I used to do the same with cutlery in the kitchen at old work. I would pay a dollar for a bag full of mixed cutlery from an op shop, run it through my dishwasher twice, then deposit it in the work kitchen.

After about six months it would all disappear (do people eat spoons?) and I'd do it all over again.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2017, 09:30:07 PM »

I used to do the same with cutlery in the kitchen at old work. I would pay a dollar for a bag full of mixed cutlery from an op shop, run it through my dishwasher twice, then deposit it in the work kitchen.

After about six months it would all disappear (do people eat spoons?) and I'd do it all over again.

People don't eat spoons, but some individuals are convinced that everything is (or ought to be) disposable, so they throw metal cutlery away in the garbage without thinking about it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »
Lol at potatoes.

Not long ago my husband decided to try a diet where he would eat almost nothing but potatoes.  This included a single steamed potato for lunch.  Obviously this was far from sustainable but we made it through the big bag of spuds.

Weeks later we're on our way through security to catch a flight.  DH never cleans out his backpack, so it's full of pens, old gum, ibuprofen, scrap paper from work, broken headphones, etc.  There's so much junk that it's no surprise when his bag gets pulled out of the x-ray line for a manual search.  A quick search later, we get the greenlight and move on.

We get to our gate and DH decides to pull out a book.  As he digs in, he finds not one, not two, but three raw potatoes he had shoved in his bag and forgotten about.  I like to think the x-ray tech was staring at the screen trying to figure out what the fuck those things are.  Then the guy who searched the bag must have had the thought "Well I guess there's no rule saying you can't carry on potatoes."

So we flew to the wedding with potatoes.  At least we found them before they started to shrivel.

I'm guessing DHS sees people bring all kinds of crazy crap come through.

A few years ago I had an afternoon flight, so I was out puttering in the garden, then headed to the airport and through security.  After I got to my gate, reached in the breast pocket of my shirt and discovered a full head of garlic.  It would have been amusing if that had been discovered in a pat-down!

My dad swears no recollection of this, but he used to bake potatoes and just take them along to the beach or wherever, and eat them cold like Nature's Power Bar.  Skin and all.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »
My dad swears no recollection of this...

Oh those conversations are always fun.

"Remember when you used to-" "No!"

My MiL is a demon for that. There are a few infamous exchanges between her and my husband that all our friends know about but she will strenuously deny.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2017, 12:56:14 AM »

Grrr.

OK, this totally sucks for you.  But... when you received the shoes you agreed to pay an additional $46?  For me this would definitely be a "return to sender" kind of deal.  VERY generally speaking, if you refuse delivery you can get your money back, or at least not lose more money

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2017, 01:33:26 AM »

People don't eat spoons, but some individuals are convinced that everything is (or ought to be) disposable, so they throw metal cutlery away in the garbage without thinking about it.

The other trick is that an office of 60 people, with a drawer of 20 spoons...   it only takes a few left in the desk drawer, a few taken home with the free lunch leftovers or for that yogurt on the drive home..., and a couple migrated to another floor, for them all to disappear.   

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »

So what you're saying is that your company executed their strategy brilliantly?  They "fixed" the problem so poorly that they now have (i) ceramic mugs, and (ii) housekeeping services, (iii) neither of which they have to pay for.

I believe this is known as a "strategic failure."

;-)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2017, 07:19:19 PM »

So what you're saying is that your company executed their strategy brilliantly?  They "fixed" the problem so poorly that they now have (i) ceramic mugs, and (ii) housekeeping services, (iii) neither of which they have to pay for.

I believe this is known as a "strategic failure."

;-)

Nope, Hanlon's razor docet.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
I keep some campgear at my desk - utensils and mug. Take them home occasionally for a wash. Everyone else can do whatever they want to for themselves. They do so anyhow. ;)

I'd love to see less waste. Can't change the folks who go out to eat fastfood every day. Wasted fuel, wasted food containers, etc.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »
When I worked I used to buy silverware at garage sales and bring them to work. Then I noticed people throwing stuff away instead of washing it so I quit. Then I just brought stuff for me and kept it in my office.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »
When I worked I used to buy silverware at garage sales and bring them to work. Then I noticed people throwing stuff away instead of washing it so I quit. Then I just brought stuff for me and kept it in my office.
I knew that the US is a country of savages, but ... WTF

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2017, 12:11:25 PM »
I knew that the US is a country of savages, but ... WTF

There's an entire subculture of people who genuinely don't care about anything except getting their immediate needs met. Whether someone else's belongings end up in a landfill isn't a blip on their radar screen. These are people who show up to your house when it's not a mealtime demanding to be fed, expect to get the food "to go", and expect to take the plate, the utensils, the glass, and everything else with them because something else so much more important is occurring. They will not eat at a table and frequently migrate to other rooms in the house, spilling drinks and dribbling crumbs as they go, and they will not clean up the spills or messes they make because they prefer for them to be ground into the flooring. They treat their own homes and apartments the same way, which is why their belongings are generally stained and smell like spoiled milk.

If you see someone tossing cutlery or plates into the trash and they aren't disposable items, NEVER invite them to your home, never go to visit theirs, and definitely don't accept an offer of shared food.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »
I'm in the middle of one right now.

I have a six-year-old smartphone. I use it for receiving phone calls in emergencies, plus my banking app. I needed to upgrade the operating system to load a second app. During that process I deleted the first app. Called the bank. Banking app is outdated, and no longer offered by the bank. Try our new 'upgraded' app!

New 'upgraded' bank app doesn't work on upgraded operating system. Old app is nowhere to be found on the Internet. Six-year-old phone does not support latest (or even near-latest) operating system.  I start to investigate custom software, and spend a weekend learning about the fine world of Android, Samsung, custom recovery, custom ROM, Odin and other open-source software. Phone flashes garish warnings about voiding my warranty. I decide no warranty on earth lasts six years, and start messing around anyway.

At this point, I have a phone that makes and receives calls and texts, and NOTHING ELSE. I have deleted both apps and all of my previous contacts. I have successfully re-dumbed my smartphone.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2017, 03:43:11 AM »
My granddad wants a DVD for Christmas, I didn't want to pay full retail for it so found one on ebay (unused) for 50% off!

It arrived this week, it's a US copy and probably won't work on their player.  God dammit.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2017, 06:50:55 AM »
My granddad wants a DVD for Christmas, I didn't want to pay full retail for it so found one on ebay (unused) for 50% off!

It arrived this week, it's a US copy and probably won't work on their player.  God dammit.

Find out which DVD player he has and do a Google search for the region hacking procedure. It can't be done to all DVD players, but on many of them it's a simple sequence of button presses on the remote control.

Back before blu-ray players, I always made sure I bought a DVD player that could be region hacked. I used to get the occasional DVD set from Amazon UK, such as The Clangers for my daughter, and Fawlty Towers for myself :)

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »
Step 1: attend expensive college on credit cards
Step 2: graduate
Step 3: start working fulltime
Step 4: file bankruptcy

That's not how... wait, but the law says....

Holy cow, this guy really was brilliant!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2017, 10:51:52 PM »
Boss took me out for lunch, insisted I keep the leftovers.

I stashed the container in my bag for the cab ride back to the office, where I discovered I have an oil patch the size of a 50 cent coin on my leather bag.

Any tips on getting oil out of leather would be most appreciated!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!