Author Topic: Friend drives two miles to work  (Read 14302 times)

rocketman48097

• Stubble
Friend drives two miles to work
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:32:22 AM »
I asked my friend, whom I know lives very close to his work, if he rode his bike to work or walked there?  Answer, "I would ride to work IF I owned a bike, it's two miles from my house."  I told him to stop what he was doing and purchase a bike ASAP.  He said he was going to sell his third convertible car because "I really don't need it with two kids."  This is a guy who I have found very frugal in the past and actually helped me become more frugal.  I think I can get him on a bike though given I ride 3.5 miles to work and back each way, almost 100% further than he would have to bike. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Friend drives two miles to work
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:33:27 AM »
Better than living far away and driving 30 miles to work.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »
True, but he USED to drive 45 minutes each way.  When he told me about this job closer to his house that paid better, I told him to jump all over it.  He listened to me, and he's much better off than the place he left 2 years ago. 

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »
I drive 3.5 miles to work. There are several reasons I don't bike, and I'm sure somebody would counter every one of them if I posted them all. For me, though, biking is not an option I am considering at this moment, even if it seems to be one of MMM's biggest appeal to people.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »
I used to drive 4 miles to work.  The incredibly retarded US highway system had me crossing 2 interstates and an airport, so the shortest biking route was 10 miles!!!!

renbutler

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »
I used to drive 4 miles to work.  The incredibly retarded US highway system had me crossing 2 interstates and an airport, so the shortest biking route was 10 miles!!!!

There's that word again. What is "retarded" about the US highway system?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »

There's that word again. What is "retarded" about the US highway system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retardation
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

renbutler

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »
Yeah, I know the technical meaning of the term, which still doesn't really fit.

I'm going to keep assuming it is meant colloquially. I just think it's a strange choice of words.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
One of the official definitions of "retard" - To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede
Seeing as how the interstate highway system was in fact delaying and impeding my passing, this word was used correctly.  And yes, I do think the movement to end the use of the word retarded is retarded in its intentions.

Edit-  I specifically use it because I'm not going to let some little asshole kid making fun of the mentally retarded kid change the English language.  That's sort of life giving in to terrorism, isn't it?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:52:57 PM by mpbaker22 »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 03:22:59 PM »

I'm going to keep assuming it is meant colloquially. I just think it's a strange choice of words.

Just say what you mean, you don't need to obfuscate; we're all adults here - you don't like any use of the word "retarded."

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »
I drive 3.5 miles to work. There are several reasons I don't bike, and I'm sure somebody would counter every one of them if I posted them all. For me, though, biking is not an option I am considering at this moment, even if it seems to be one of MMM's biggest appeal to people.

For the 1.5 years when I did work just 3 miles from home I always had to drive too.  Roads would have been "acceptable" (but not great) for biking.  However, I was required to have a car to be able to jump into and head off to client sites at a moment's notice while working...

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »
For the 1.5 years when I did work just 3 miles from home I always had to drive too.  Roads would have been "acceptable" (but not great) for biking.  However, I was required to have a car to be able to jump into and head off to client sites at a moment's notice while working...

Same here, actually. There are two locations that we generally have to get to outside of the office. Both require getting on the freeway or the freeway access roads.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »
I drive my car 2.3 miles to work every day. Then I drive it 1.5 miles each way between any of four different facilities in the area. Tried bicycling - plant manager threatened to fire me for wasting time even though it often was a wash.  that said, it sounds like your friend could get away with biking to work...

I doubt my car has been fully warmed up in the last month.

renbutler

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »

Just say what you mean, you don't need to obfuscate; we're all adults here - you don't like any use of the word "retarded."

I said exactly what I meant, and you are incorrect that I "don't like any use of the word 'retarded.'"

renbutler

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 06:13:01 PM »
One of the official definitions of "retard" - To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede
Seeing as how the interstate highway system was in fact delaying and impeding my passing, this word was used correctly.  And yes, I do think the movement to end the use of the word retarded is retarded in its intentions.

Edit-  I specifically use it because I'm not going to let some little asshole kid making fun of the mentally retarded kid change the English language.  That's sort of life giving in to terrorism, isn't it?

This only gets stranger. You also called having lawns retarded. That makes even less sense.

Whatever. I didn't intend the digression from the topic. I think the US highway system is one of the few things the government has largely done right.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
I don't understand what you mean then renbutler.  The use seemed perfectly cromulent to me.

Feel free to start a thread in the Off Topic section if you would like to discuss more.

renbutler

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
I would not. I just thought was strange and was seeking clarification.

As a professional writer with a degree in English, I still think it was a strange choice of words even after the explanation, but I have no intention of pushing the issue any further. We don't have to agree about it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:46:38 PM by renbutler »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
As a professional writer with a degree in English

Fancy.

renbutler

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »
Not really, and definitely not the crux of what I was saying. I don't know why it's so hard to drop this. With all the awful things people say to each other on the internet, I gotta say I'm surprised that calling something "strange" and asking for a clarification has raised hackles.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 07:49:29 PM »
Not really, and really not my intention. I don't know why it's so hard to drop this. With all the awful things people say to each other on the internet, I gotta say I'm surprised that calling something "strange" and asking for a clarification has raised hackles.

No hackles, I just found it strange and was asking for clarification.

;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
When people say something is "retarded," the colloquial meaning is more like "of, or pertaining to, retardation."  Let me translate:

"The highway system is retarded" -> "The highway system was designed by a mentally retarded individual"

"Lawns are retarded" -> "People who have lawns must have the mental faculties of a five-year old"

"Lets get retarded" -> "Let us imbibe alcohol until we no longer have control of higher brain functions"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 10:38:19 PM »
When people say something is "retarded," the colloquial meaning is more like "of, or pertaining to, retardation."  Let me translate:

"The highway system is retarded" -> "The highway system was designed by a mentally retarded individual"

"Lawns are retarded" -> "People who have lawns must have the mental faculties of a five-year old"

"Lets get retarded" -> "Let us imbibe alcohol until we no longer have control of higher brain functions"

I would disagree with the middle translation for sure, probably the first, and wouldn't have any clue what the third meant, so I'll take your word for it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 11:05:38 PM »

I would disagree with the middle translation for sure, probably the first, and wouldn't have any clue what the third meant, so I'll take your word for it.

How do you translate the middle one?

Edit: For #3 see: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=let%27s%20get%20retarded

Edit #2: If renbutler had meant that the highway system slowed him down, he would have said it was retarding not retarded.  More formally, "retarded" would imply that growth of the highway system has been lower than normal.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:11:17 PM by dragoncar »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 11:10:14 PM »
It would depend on context, but something like "I don't want to deal with mowing a lawn" in most circumstances.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 11:13:02 PM »
It would depend on context, but something like "I don't want to deal with mowing a lawn" in most circumstances.

Colloquially, I would translate "I don't want to deal with mowing a lawn" into "I'm lame" as in "I have a physical disability which deters me from engaging in the physical activity of mowing the lawn."

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
I would assume attitude before physical disability, but again, it'd largely be based on context.

GoStumpy

• Stubble
    • YNAB = The ultimate budgeting software
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 06:53:24 AM »

renbutler

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 07:47:53 AM »
Edit #2: If renbutler had meant that the highway system slowed him down, he would have said it was retarding not retarded.  More formally, "retarded" would imply that growth of the highway system has been lower than normal.

It wasn't me. I was the one who first thought the usage of the term was unusual.

Sorry that it caused such a digression.

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 08:11:36 AM »
I think it's retarded that you guys are still talking about that - thread completely hijacked..

I have a friend who drives 1 mile to work where there's a nice path that he can take almost from his front door right to his employers entrance.  He said driving is just easier.  I explained that it's also easier to pay someone to clean your house, mow your lawn, and detail your car daily, but all of those things (including driving) cost money.

He wasn't convinced :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 09:37:35 AM »
NumberCruncher started a new retarded thread here for anyone interested in discussing the word: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/that's-retarded/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »
I think it's retarded that you guys are still talking about that - thread completely hijacked..

I have a friend who drives 1 mile to work where there's a nice path that he can take almost from his front door right to his employers entrance.  He said driving is just easier.  I explained that it's also easier to pay someone to clean your house, mow your lawn, and detail your car daily, but all of those things (including driving) cost money.

He wasn't convinced :)

Hey at least we aren't arguing art philosophy.

Mozactly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »
I used to work three miles from my house, most of which was a bike path. But I was required to have a car at the office to run out to breaking news events (fires, crime, press conferences) that could be up to 10-15 miles away. Speed was the most important thing, so there was no biking to the events.

It was the most frustrating part of the job because most days I wouldn't need to drive that far, but just in case, I had to be prepared. At least I wasn't commuting 40 miiles to work (like with my previous job). That was just stupid.

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
For those people who are required to have a car at work, but live within biking distance to their house and would like to bike in, one solution is to drive the car to work with the bike in the back (or on a rack) and leave the car there overnight if able to. That way you can bike home and back to work in the morning, and still have your car available if you need to zip off somewhere in a hurry. Obviously this won't work for everybody since there are places you can't or don't want to leave a car overnight, but it might be useful for some.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »
I used to work three miles from my house, most of which was a bike path. But I was required to have a car at the office to run out to breaking news events (fires, crime, press conferences) that could be up to 10-15 miles away. Speed was the most important thing, so there was no biking to the events.

This is my issue.  I really love my job otherwise.  My homebase is closer than my old school, but I bet I log more hours overall.  At least I get paid mileage, but it's still wear and tear, and also not the opportunity to bike - not sure I would anyway, as it is 10 miles.  Not impossible, I know, but I also know myself.  Some days I can barely get myself up in enough time to get in the car and go - especially in our horrible winters.  I have started to wonder about closer options and/or home-based employment.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »

It's also bad form to show up with armpit stains!

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
"armpit stains"  lol, how fat are you that you are going to sweat so much biking a small 3.5 miles to work, one way?  Even if you are that fat, all the more reason to get off your car seat and onto a bike.

For the record, I do not bike to work to save money.  YES, it DOES save me money, but I started doing it everyday since it makes me feel so incredibly good all day long at work.  I find days I don't bike, such as to run errands, I feel incredibly sluggish.  Plus, I'd like to lose some of my modest post high school weight and biking is my best option, given that I have two kids and other time is limited.  Biking simply is exercise traded for commuting time.  Yes, I do lose some time because it takes longer to bike.  However, I am getting better at it and you gain time by parking right in front of your building instead of way out on the parking lot, it's actually quite convenient. 

As for whiners who say they can't, I would like to note that I am the ONLY person in my entire 6 story suburban office building who I have ever seen park at our bike racks.  If I can do it in this kind of isolation, you can for sure do it.  I choose paths that are mostly residential and the one street I have to ride on is newer and has bike lanes on both sides, so I rarely feel unsafe. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
"armpit stains"  lol, how fat are you that you are going to sweat so much biking a small 3.5 miles to work, one way?

You do understand that other factors influence sweat besides weight?

Genetics, for example, and the weather.  It's supposed to be 115 degrees here this week.  You bike to work in that and try not to sweat at all.  (And I'm in a very low humidity area, plenty of areas one would sweat much more, regardless of their weight.)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
Sweaty armpits: drysol or any other over-the-counter product containing aluminium chloride. Life changer. This is by far the best $8 product I have ever bought.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
"armpit stains"  lol, how fat are you that you are going to sweat so much biking a small 3.5 miles to work, one way?  Even if you are that fat, all the more reason to get off your car seat and onto a bike.

I just bring along a change of clothes, I wear a fancy-pants bright yellow shirt that wics sweat away from me, I towel off when I get to work, change into my spare clothes (I sometimes leave a pair of pants or two at work so I don't have to carry them with me).

I sweat a very LARGE amount almost all of the time.  If you get a shower in the morning before you leave and use either hand sanitizer or antiperspirant deodorant, you won't smell, since that is due to bacteria, not 'sweat'. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 05:48:21 AM »
Was it Ralph Nadar who went on a crusade years ago to get showers put into all workplaces?

Until I work in a place that has showers or is a a very moderate climate, I won't bike to work, almost no matter the distance.  (Four blocks?  Sure, though in that case I'd likely just walk so I wouldn't have to deal with parking a bike and riding in traffic.) 

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »
...It's supposed to be 115 degrees here this week.  You bike to work in that and try not to sweat at all.  (And I'm in a very low humidity area, plenty of areas one would sweat much more, regardless of their weight.)

I was on a field assignment for work out near Edwards AFB some years ago for a few years (similar to Vegas is climate, there in the High Desert of the Antelope Valley).  I have to say, coming from the greater Seattle area it sure was a change. 

I'd be out and about all day on the weekends (hiking up in the San Gabriel's, etc) and unlike here, would rarely be damp from perspiration, even on hot sunny days.  However, I'd get back to the abode at the end of the day and I'd be all sticky from the salt crust all over my skin.  It would also burn my eyes terribly when I first started to rinse off under the shower, from all the salt being washed off.  I'd also down vast quantities of liquids during the day are hardly have to pee.  Yup...the desert sure is different from the typically damp PNW.

I'd have to imagine that even those I rarely was damp from perspiration, the other main side effect of heavy exercise, the stank, was in abundance.  Sitting in an office without showering after that......yeah, probably not the best idea.

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 08:27:44 AM »
Central IL where the comm enter about armpit stains lives, is not a HOT dry desert part of the Country.  The vast majority of the Country lives in areas where conditions are favorable to biking, usually year round since riding to work is cooler than riding home from work.  The North has Snow and the South has heat.  I live in the South and I simply make up for the heat by taking my polo off on the ride home.  I also get some shade on the ride home which helps a lot.  It's 10 degrees cooler on the way in, the more important part if you ask me, and my wife has suggested I roll up my polo and put it on when I arrive, which I may do since I do sweat a bit when it's hot out.  I wear deodorant so I typically smell nice all day long, splash water on my face in the morning to cool down since no showers here. 

In Amsterdam and Copenhagen, all bikers wear plain clothes on their bike rides to work, so this is not unusual.  It's only unusual in America where we prefer obesity and being perfectly clean to a small amount of sweat and being incredibly healthy and good looking. 

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »
Central IL where the comm enter about armpit stains lives, is not a HOT dry desert part of the Country. 

You're right, it's hot WET. Summer is usually 90's and 60%+ humidity. Last year was unusually hot with more than a few days closer to 100 (this year has been unusually cool and wet). In any case, I'd LOVE to ride to work but it's 17 miles with about half only passable on dangerous roadways, and no locker room at work, unfortunately. When my fellow fat cube mates can accept a little B.O. I'll be the first on board :)