Author Topic: Free shipping was not free after all  (Read 25537 times)

Coiny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Free shipping was not free after all
« on: October 07, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »
I ordered a 24" computer monitor online. Shipping was free if I pick up in store, so of course I chose that.

I don't have a car, so I took the bus for an hour.

When I arrived at the store, the box was bigger and heavier than expected.

I barely managed to walk out of the store, struggled to cross the road to the bus stop. When the bus came, I couldn't even lift the box to step up onto it. Everyone watched as I stupidly struggled back to the sidewalk.

Desperate, I called a cab (second time in my life) and paid $60 to get home.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Free shipping was not free after all
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 11:56:14 AM »
No uber where you live?

I once got on a bus with my hockey bag. Seats were all nasty, so I just stood and held the bag and my sticks the whole time. That was a unique experience. I took uber after that.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 12:06:52 PM »
I think it may be time for a regular pushup routine OP.  This is intended mostly in jest, but take the 100 pushup challenge, throw in some squats.

Barring some legit physical disability I haven't seen a modern 24" monitor an adult wouldn't be able to handle.  And I did not expect to google "heaviest 24" monitor" today, also did not expect to be disappointed no useful results popped up.

Kudos to you for even thinking to try and bus it though.  They make some stretchy backpack-style carry aids if you're planning on more sans-vehicle bulkystuff acquisitions.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 12:10:17 PM »
How does a 24" monitor not fit onto a bus but it fit in a cab?  This story doesn't make sense.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »
Oh wait, it was too heavy to lift onto the bus, not to bulky to fit?  That still doesn't make any sense. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »
Oh wait, it was too heavy to lift onto the bus, not to bulky to fit?  That still doesn't make any sense. 

Cab drivers will help you get things into/out of trunk, bus drivers won't.

I did something similar with a CRT television some 10+ years back. I got a friend who had a car to come with me but we didn't realize how heavy it was going to be, and the two of us struggled terribly getting it up the stairs and into my apartment. Cosmetic damage was done to the television and I injured my hand.

Sometimes paying for delivery is the smart plan!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »
Around here an hour long bus trip equates to about a 30 - 40 minute bike ride.  I would have taken my bike and trailer down.  :P

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
This happened to me when I lived in Montreal. Something shipped to a fed ex depot in the middle.of nowhere took the bus there then 2km walk. It's not the devce itself (speakers in my case). It's the packaging, I couldn't get my arms around the thing so called a cab. No uber back then, 40 buck ride because I got stuck in traffic.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »

Cab drivers will help you get things into/out of trunk, bus drivers won't.

I did something similar with a CRT television some 10+ years back. I got a friend who had a car to come with me but we didn't realize how heavy it was going to be, and the two of us struggled terribly getting it up the stairs and into my apartment. Cosmetic damage was done to the television and I injured my hand.

Sometimes paying for delivery is the smart plan!

How heavy could a 24" monitor possibly be? I can't imagine anyone but a frail old lady not being able to tote a 24" monitor, even a full blown crt, which just raises further questions.  Who still sells crt tvs/monitors?  I haven't seen one for sale in years.  I've only seen a few of those dinosaurs in use at all the last few years.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »
You're confusing two stories and the crt story mentions it was over ten years ago and it was a TV. Those things were 30-40lbs, that weight in a backpack is no problem wrapping your arms around a huge crt then carry that for 10 blocks.

As for  24 inch monitor now, go to best buy and grab a box with such a monitor and walk around the store for 30 minutes. Those boxes are massive and the handles rip off in about four seconds.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »
You're confusing two stories and the crt story mentions it was over ten years ago and it was a TV. Those things were 30-40lbs, that weight in a backpack is no problem wrapping your arms around a huge crt then carry that for 10 blocks.

As for  24 inch monitor now, go to best buy and grab a box with such a monitor and walk around the store for 30 minutes. Those boxes are massive and the handles rip off in about four seconds.

I don't think I'm mixing up the stories.  Carrying one ten blocks could be difficult, I can understand that.  But he said he had a difficult time getting up the stairs with a buddy.  I've moved 24" crt tvs by myself before and it wasn't hard.  Slightly awkward because of the weight distribution, but honestly I can't understand a non-disabled person not being able to carry and maneuver one over short distances (and even up stairs).  Maybe they are significantly heavier than I remember, but I'm fairly certain I used to have a 27" crt back in high school and it was no problem lifting it and moving it around.  I also had a 35" crt, and that thing was a beast.  I could bear the entire weight of it, but I could see a small person not being able to.  I could not manage the 35" tv alone because of the large size though.

And the original story didn't specify a date so I assumed it was recent.  But even if OP was talking about a heavy crt from the past I still don't understand how she was able to get it out of the store and across the street but not get it on the bus. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 01:24:16 PM »
I don't think I'm mixing up the stories.  Carrying one ten blocks could be difficult, I can understand that.  But he said he had a difficult time getting up the stairs with a buddy.  I've moved 24" crt tvs by myself before and it wasn't hard.  Slightly awkward because of the weight distribution, but honestly I can't understand a non-disabled person not being able to carry and maneuver one over short distances (and even up stairs).  Maybe they are significantly heavier than I remember, but I'm fairly certain I used to have a 27" crt back in high school and it was no problem lifting it and moving it around.

A. I'm a she
B. Chronic injuries/illness = not fully able
C. You're kind of an ass for assuming everyone in the world is a fully able healthy male adult

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 01:32:54 PM »
I don't think I'm mixing up the stories.  Carrying one ten blocks could be difficult, I can understand that.  But he said he had a difficult time getting up the stairs with a buddy.  I've moved 24" crt tvs by myself before and it wasn't hard.  Slightly awkward because of the weight distribution, but honestly I can't understand a non-disabled person not being able to carry and maneuver one over short distances (and even up stairs).  Maybe they are significantly heavier than I remember, but I'm fairly certain I used to have a 27" crt back in high school and it was no problem lifting it and moving it around.

A. I'm a she
C. You're kind of an ass for assuming everyone in the world is a fully able healthy male adult

A. ok sorry, honest mistake.  I have no way of knowing the gender of posters and it doesn't matter anyway.
B. Ok that makes more sense
C. Forum rule #1? I'm not assuming everyone is a fully able healthy adult male.  From my experience I would expect any non-disabled adult (that includes women) to be able to carry a 24" crt.  I assumed the OP was female from the start, but completely separate from my conception that all adults should be able to easily lift a 24" monitor, I don't understand how she (or he) could get the monitor out of the store and across the street to the bus stop but not be able to carry it onto the bus.

[a]bort

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 01:45:34 PM »
Reminds me of busing/walking to get a car battery in -30 degree weather. The driver gave me a look of pity I had never seen

Coiny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 01:50:54 PM »

A. I'm a she

A. ok sorry, honest mistake.  I have no way of knowing the gender of posters and it doesn't matter anyway.
C. Forum rule #1? I'm not assuming everyone is a fully able healthy adult male.  From my experience I would expect any non-disabled adult (that includes women) to be able to carry a 24" crt.  I assumed the OP was female from the start, but completely separate from my conception that all adults should be able to easily lift a 24" monitor, I don't understand how she (or he) could get the monitor out of the store and across the street to the bus stop but not be able to carry it onto the bus.

Hi, I'm a tiny adult, often mistaken for a child. The bus was extremely packed already, it was rush hour. I hate to admit but my arms are thin and weak. I should do more pushups.

Yes, I realize it sounds really weird, but somehow with the bulky box and the heavy stand supporting the monitor, strangely I couldn't lift it up the bus steps in time, despite my desperation to save money on shipping.  Maybe I could've done it if I had more time  but the driver couldn't wait.

Coiny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 01:54:01 PM »
This happened to me when I lived in Montreal. Something shipped to a fed ex depot in the middle.of nowhere took the bus there then 2km walk. It's not the devce itself (speakers in my case). It's the packaging, I couldn't get my arms around the thing so called a cab. No uber back then, 40 buck ride because I got stuck in traffic.

Yes, somehow things that seem easy to lift become hard, when the box and packaging adds bulk and you can't get your arounds to carry it properly.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 02:19:38 PM »
You lost me at one hour on the bus. I don't care what shipping to my house cost, I'd pay that over an hour on the bus any day.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 04:09:44 PM »
Sometimes you can't be home during the day in those cases they ship to a depot. Can't always ship to work because of strict policies on personal packages. Frugalnacho you're still leaving out packaging which causes most of the bulkiness.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 04:17:34 PM »

A. I'm a she

I'm a small female too and frankly, I rolled my eyes at your statement.  I could not do that on a bus for a distance.  I think you are unintentionally assuming that because it is your experience.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
You lost me at one hour on the bus. I don't care what shipping to my house cost, I'd pay that over an hour on the bus any day.

Right? I think that my hourly rate for free time is much higher than even the $60 cab ride.  I would imagine the right reply to "I can't afford to ship this item to my house" is "I can't afford this item."

Ryo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 12:07:35 AM »
Shipping was free if I pick up in store, so of course I chose that.

Am I the only one that finds this statement strange? I would certainly home the shipping is free, given that there isn't any.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 06:43:21 AM »

Am I the only one that finds this statement strange? I would certainly home the shipping is free, given that there isn't any.

I infer this to mean that the item is not one normally kept in stock at all locations of a large chain of stores. It might be a clearance item and they only have a few remaining in the entire country. Large retailers can take advantage of their existing distribution system to truck the item to their store nearest you at very little additional cost to them.

Coiny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 07:42:17 AM »

Some stores don't reduce the price even if I choose in-store pickup, but this store did, so I chose that.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 02:11:38 PM »
Just so I understand, was this a CRT monitor?    DW wouldn't be able to manhandle a 24" onto the bus.

LCD monitors are quite a bit lighter.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »
Just so I understand, was this a CRT monitor?    DW wouldn't be able to manhandle a 24" onto the bus.

LCD monitors are quite a bit lighter.

You misunderstand. The CRT was a television set someone else had many years ago. This was a modern 24" computer monitor.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »
I once got on a bus with my hockey bag. Seats were all nasty, so I just stood and held the bag and my sticks the whole time. That was a unique experience. I took uber after that.

Woah.  Woah, woah, woah.  Let's back up here.

The bus seats were nastier than a hockey bag?  I thought those were, by far, the most disgusting form of athletic bag on the planet.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 01:05:37 PM »

The bus seats were nastier than a hockey bag?  I thought those were, by far, the most disgusting form of athletic bag on the planet.

Sadly, this has been my experience.  Far too many people choose to put wet/sweaty hockey equipment back into a dark bag and then keep it in a warm house until their next game, not washing anything other than the jersey and socks.  It's a crazy disease factory and tends to stink to high heaven.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 02:36:50 PM »

Sadly, this has been my experience.  Far too many people choose to put wet/sweaty hockey equipment back into a dark bag and then keep it in a warm house until their next game, not washing anything other than the jersey and socks.  It's a crazy disease factory and tends to stink to high heaven.

Even the thought of that stench is enough to make me gag.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 07:50:01 AM »
I'm a small female too and frankly, I rolled my eyes at your statement.  I could not do that on a bus for a distance.  I think you are unintentionally assuming that because it is your experience.

The assumption was intentional.  I don't really understand your statement either.  Once you get it on the bus you can set it down and let the bus do all the heavy lifting back to your house, no?  The problem is lifting a 24" monitor in the box up onto the bus, and I still don't really understand.  Clearly multiple small women have sided with OP and said they couldn't do this either.  Maybe I'm severely over estimating the amount of bulk/weight a small woman can lift (I am 6'1", 240 lbs), or I'm severely underestimating the size/weight of a 24" monitor.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2016, 08:05:09 AM »

The assumption was intentional.  I don't really understand your statement either.  Once you get it on the bus you can set it down and let the bus do all the heavy lifting back to your house, no?  The problem is lifting a 24" monitor in the box up onto the bus, and I still don't really understand.  Clearly multiple small women have sided with OP and said they couldn't do this either.  Maybe I'm severely over estimating the amount of bulk/weight a small woman can lift (I am 6'1", 240 lbs), or I'm severely underestimating the size/weight of a 24" monitor.
Depending on the bus, most often I was able to put a bag down at my feet but I still need to hold on to it/control it for the trip while keeping my own balance.  For someone bigger the bulkiness of a box does not effect your center of gravity as much as with a smaller person.  Also the percentage of weight is much different for you than me.  I'm 115lb, the recommended max weight to not harm ones back is 10% body weight.  A quick google says a 24" monitor with packaging is 16.48 lbs, 14% of my body weight. So think about it as something 33lbs and assume the box increases the size as well (I can't find that with a quick google).  Then you have the fact that the average woman has less upper body strength than an average man (of the same size) and you get the problem.  You are not just moving it out to the car, but moving a bulky object on to a bus (lifting up) and then need to control the bulky object while possibly standing on the way home and THEN walking it home.  You were assuming that everyone has the same ability as you, scaled for size aka what she said (not as nicely) "You're kind of an ass for assuming everyone in the world is a fully able healthy male adult".   Does that make sense?

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2016, 08:12:32 AM »
I ordered a Vizio smart TV on amazon with free shipping (amazon prime).

It seems like the best time to buy a tv is during cyber monday the first monday after thanksgiving.  (At least for the US)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:09 AM »

Depending on the bus, most often I was able to put a bag down at my feet but I still need to hold on to it/control it for the trip while keeping my own balance.  For someone bigger the bulkiness of a box does not effect your center of gravity as much as with a smaller person.  Also the percentage of weight is much different for you than me.  I'm 115lb, the recommended max weight to not harm ones back is 10% body weight.  A quick google says a 24" monitor with packaging is 16.48 lbs, 14% of my body weight. So think about it as something 33lbs and assume the box increases the size as well (I can't find that with a quick google).  Then you have the fact that the average woman has less upper body strength than an average man (of the same size) and you get the problem.  You are not just moving it out to the car, but moving a bulky object on to a bus (lifting up) and then need to control the bulky object while possibly standing on the way home and THEN walking it home.  You were assuming that everyone has the same ability as you, scaled for size aka what she said (not as nicely) "You're kind of an ass for assuming everyone in the world is a fully able healthy male adult".   Does that make sense?

No that does not make sense.  I've already accounted for women being smaller than me, and probably not being as strong either, and I still fail to see how a 24" monitor posed that much of a problem.

Do buses not have seats?  How much balance is really required to keep a box balanced?  A box that presumably will balance itself due to gravity.

Also where do you get this recommendation to not lift more than 10% of your body weight?  That's a ridiculously low threshold.  That would mean I couldn't carry more than 24 lbs in order to not hurt my back.  I understand that I am a healthy strong male, and I probably am stronger than most women (even proportionally, ie I can lift a higher % of my body weight than you), but even taking that into account I still don't understand.  By your calculations you wouldn't be able to bring home 2 gallons of milk.  If the OP (or anyone) posted a story of being unable to lift 2 gallons of milk onto the bus they would be met with the same incredulity. 

Also I wouldn't have a problem if you had said it was too difficult and awkward to bring it to the bus and then walk it all the way home.  That's not what the OP said though.  She intended to do that, and got hung up on the step of lifting it into the bus.  And if we are talking about a 16 lb 24" monitor, then I still just don't understand not being able to lift that onto the bus.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 08:36:04 AM »
I ordered a Vizio smart TV on amazon with free shipping (amazon prime).

It seems like the best time to buy a tv is during cyber monday the first monday after thanksgiving.  (At least for the US)

Yup, I'm looking for deals but I'm likely not going to find a bargain until Cyber Monday or Black Friday.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 08:56:14 AM »
Just throwing it out there - lifting heavy weights to get stronger/more fit is a thing for men and women of all ages and many levels of health.

I'd like to see someone tell this 115lb woman to stop throwing more than 200 lbs over her head from the floor though.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3728371/Taiwans-Hsu-wins-womens-53kg-weightlifting-gold.html

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »

Even the thought of that stench is enough to make me gag.

My equipment is laid out on the deck or next to the dehumidifier ASAP after each game/ice session. Pads that can take it are sprayed with 1 part vinegar 5 parts water, or else Fresh Wave (any hockey players need to get that stuff BTW) after almost every outing.

It still smells if you stick your nose in it, but I had it in the backseat of the car after a morning skate all day in the hot sun. My wife got in the car and said "its a good thing it doesn't smell or I'd kill you". If I had opened the bag, I'm sure it would be bad, but it doesn't have to be horrible.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 10:08:19 AM »
Another case of free shipping not being free...

Went online for carb rebuild kits for my motorcycle.  $57, no tax, free shipping is the best I could do.  Luckily my credit card failed to go through, so I just stopped by the local bike shop...  The cost there, $37, (including tax)...  :-O

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 10:22:05 AM »
Another case of free shipping not being free...

Went online for carb rebuild kits for my motorcycle.  $57, no tax, free shipping is the best I could do.  Luckily my credit card failed to go through, so I just stopped by the local bike shop...  The cost there, $37, (including tax)...  :-O

Lol, yep. Sometimes it's worth checking local stores - after asking for a discount (got 20%!) my local Toyota dealer was cheaper than Amazon for coolant (probably due to hazardous material shipping being factored into the Amazon "free shipping" price).

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »
When I was 7 years old, I was a computer fair with Dad. He bought a super powerful (286!) computer.  Turned out the monitor was too heavy for me to carry, so Dad put the computer in the car and we went back for the monitor.

As we were leaving for the second time, I heard an announcement that we had won a doorprize and made Dad lug the monitor over to the stage where they handed us $250 cash!

Mother was impressed with the "free computer" we scored at the fair.

tl;dr Irrelevant story about a heavy monitor.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »
Thats a sad story OP, Im disappointed nobody decided to give you a hand on the bus.

I consider myself an able bodied fit guy, but some of these older projection style flat faced TVs and monitors that are not flat panel have almost killed me. Some of those things weigh more than a wood stove. Their awkward size certainly contributes to a terrible lifting posture, and if they're still in a box forget it.

Honestly OP you probably should look into purchasing a small plastic moving dolly with some bungee cords. I've moved some enormously huge items using only a dolly, makes sliding things up/down stairs much easier with the rails on the back. Mechanical advantage > free shipping.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:08:58 PM by Digital Dogma »

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 02:15:46 PM »
That's too bad, Coiny. :(

One suggestion, for the future, is to research the box dimensions and the item weight before doing an in-store pickup. Not all sites list those things, but you can try looking for the same model at other sites. Amazon.com, for example, is pretty good about listing the product dimensions (box is of course going to be bigger!) and the shipping weight (shipping weight includes the box the item comes in). You could also try contacting the store (email, phone, or online chat if they have it) and asking for dimensions and weight before purchasing.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2016, 02:34:38 PM »
I ordered a 24" computer monitor online. Shipping was free if I pick up in store, so of course I chose that.

I don't have a car, so I took the bus for an hour.

When I arrived at the store, the box was bigger and heavier than expected.

I barely managed to walk out of the store, struggled to cross the road to the bus stop. When the bus came, I couldn't even lift the box to step up onto it. Everyone watched as I stupidly struggled back to the sidewalk.

Desperate, I called a cab (second time in my life) and paid $60 to get home.

I hope the monitor at least worked.

Would have really sucked if it didn't, and they told you to return it to the store...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 01:02:24 PM »
Once upon a time I had a little folding cart for luggage back before luggage commonly had wheels. Actually - I just found it - tucked away here in my office at work. Not a bad thing to have or borrow for things like this. I'm taking mine home and stick it in the garage.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2016, 01:28:30 PM »
Thats a sad story OP, Im disappointed nobody decided to give you a hand on the bus.

I consider myself an able bodied fit guy, but some of these older projection style flat faced TVs and monitors that are not flat panel have almost killed me. Some of those things weigh more than a wood stove. Their awkward size certainly contributes to a terrible lifting posture, and if they're still in a box forget it.

Honestly OP you probably should look into purchasing a small plastic moving dolly with some bungee cords. I've moved some enormously huge items using only a dolly, makes sliding things up/down stairs much easier with the rails on the back. Mechanical advantage > free shipping.

This is what I feel is the real issue.  If you see someone struggling, for what ever reason help out.  The Op stated that the bus was full.  If someone would have help this would have not been all for not.

This has nothing to do with anything but common human decency.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2016, 11:22:59 PM »

This is what I feel is the real issue.  If you see someone struggling, for what ever reason help out.  The Op stated that the bus was full.  If someone would have help this would have not been all for not.

Right?  I can't imagine watching someone struggle to load something onto a bus and not get up to help them.  Unless it was a cart full of durians or an open container of waste I guess.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »

Right?  I can't imagine watching someone struggle to load something onto a bus and not get up to help them.  Unless it was a cart full of durians or an open container of waste I guess.

Especially when they ultimately admit defeat and don't get on the bus.  You just watched them struggle the whole time, then you watched them slink back to the sidewalk and give up?  What a bunch of buttholes. 

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »
Ooooh! Was it impossible to return the monitor to the store? That would have been my choice over paying +/- 50% of the monitor's price in taxi.

I must admit, much like frugalnacho, I have trouble figuring out how someone can carry a box to a bus-stop but then be unable to lift the box 8 inches. The movement is basically a deadlift and I believe anyone should be able to deadlift at least 50% of their bodyweight, even untrained.

I remember when I bought my own 24 inch LCD 10 years ago (aka, thick lcd with heavy stand). I walked 2 miles to the post office in the snow (not joking) and back with the box on my shoulders. It sucked because it was windy and the wind was catching on the large surface area of the box.

farmerj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »
I probably am stronger than most women

If you're an average male, you are  stronger than all but the most elite female athletes. The quantitative difference is huge.

Measured here is grip strength, which is a fairly good proxy for upper body strength:

Here's an interesting Reddit thread on the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/4vcxd0/almost_all_men_are_stronger_than_almost_all_women/

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »
So based on the graph above, even the weakest person on the planet is able to grip 40 pounds.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2016, 11:18:51 AM »
So based on the graph above, even the weakest person on the planet is able to grip 40 pounds.

No, the weakest person in their study was able to grip 40 pounds.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2016, 11:35:05 AM »

No, the weakest person in their study was able to grip 40 pounds.

This. I'd imagine that the study was pretty structured--something like adults between 25 and 45 in "good health", with good health meaning no MS or ALS, no cancer, not on steroids, etc.