Author Topic: Frasier <Spoiler Alert>  (Read 6297 times)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Frasier <Spoiler Alert>
« on: September 08, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »
Most anti-mustachian show ever?  Just finished watching the series on Netflix. 

A boast-exchange from one of the last episodes (Frasier has hired a match-maker, and Niles and Daphne a Dula (no idea how to spell this) to "help" with the birth of their first child):

Niles: "Our Dula is great - she charges $200 per hour!"

Frasier: "Oh yeah, my matchmaker charges $10,000!"

Niles: "She must be fantastic!"

Really sums up the whole show, that scene.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Frasier <Spoiler Alert>
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
I recall seeing an episode where both Niles and Frasier were freaking out because they couldn't get to an exclusive restaurant in time.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:28:48 PM »
Yeah - that happens about twice per season I'd say.  The funniest one had to do with a spa - first they couldn't get into the exclusive spa, then they managed to weasel their way in, and sign up to pay what were astronomical prices.  Right as they're about to leave, a sitting senator walks by and goes through another door to the 'VIP' section - of course now they must get into there - yet more prestige for much more money.  It is absolutely paradise in there though - until they see a 'gold door' and are warned not to go through it.  Of course they assume this door leads to an even more exclusive part of the spa proceed through it, and are blinded by the beauty - of the sun in the alley.  Pretty funny.

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
I really like the show but agree that it is pretty antimustachian; I think Frasier's dad even makes cracks at how frivolous Frasier and Niles are, especially when it comes to their alcohol.  It is a pretty funny show though.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:03:32 PM »
I really like the show but agree that it is pretty antimustachian; I think Frasier's dad even makes cracks at how frivolous Frasier and Niles are, especially when it comes to their alcohol.  It is a pretty funny show though.

Yep, daddy Crane is a great balance to their stuffiness. I liked that character. It's a good candidate for most anti-mustachian, but in my mind the award goes to the entire "real housewives of insert city" franchise. These people are absolutely disgusting in just about every way possible.

Interesting fact - Frasier's real life wife was one of them and they got divorced which is a pretty common occurrence for these folks.

Goldie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »
I remember when Niles got engaged and told Frasier that he and (Mel? Daphne? I forget which) were registered at Tiffany's. Sigh. Talk about someone who didn't need more stuff, especially on a second wedding and from such an expensive place.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 04:04:26 PM »
Frasier is decades old, I wouldn't think there are many who are going to be upset by a spoiler!

But for those who haven't seen it I'll refrain from saying where Maris' fortune comes from.

When you really think about it though, somebody has to be in the business of manufacturing these things lol.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 07:45:49 PM »
Eddie is my favorite character from the show!

Of course he is. He's a dog G-dog.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:42:58 AM »
I always love the father sitting in his chair drinking beer out of a can, and being the reasonable one!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »

*headdesk*

Okay, how many people here actually realize that this particular chunk of entertainment flotsam is a satirical comedy?

Now, how many of you realize that satirical comedies require something to be at the butt of the joke?

Of those here who have gotten this far, how many of you can recognize who exactly the butt of the joke was in the series Frasier? Was it Marty Crane, the straight man or Eddie the dog? No.

Guess what kids, Frasier and Niles are the butt of the joke. The writers were making fun of these sorts of people for entertainment sake, not elevating their kind up for emulation or praise.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »

*headdesk*

Okay, how many people here actually realize that this particular chunk of entertainment flotsam is a satirical comedy?

Now, how many of you realize that satirical comedies require something to be at the butt of the joke?

Of those here who have gotten this far, how many of you can recognize who exactly the butt of the joke was in the series Frasier? Was it Marty Crane, the straight man or Eddie the dog? No.

Guess what kids, Frasier and Niles are the butt of the joke. The writers were making fun of these sorts of people for entertainment sake, not elevating their kind up for emulation or praise.

I used to watch this with my parents, and every time they did something to top the snootiness of their previous antics my mom used to ask "Just who was their mother? They sure as hell didn't get this pompousness from their dad."  The fact that it seemed like such a socially impossible scenario is what made it funny to watch.

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »

This is what I was going to say... Frasier and Niles are parodies of upper-class metropolitans. it's like making fun of Homer Simpson for being thick. That's what the joke is about!

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »

This is what I was going to say... Frasier and Niles are parodies of upper-class metropolitans. it's like making fun of Homer Simpson for being thick. That's what the joke is about!
D'oh!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 06:03:53 PM »