Author Topic: Former Lawyer Leaves 6-Figure Job  (Read 6083 times)

dude

• Handlebar Stache

beltim

• Magnum Stache
Re: Former Lawyer Leaves 6-Figure Job
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:32:21 AM »
Why is this in the shame and comedy section? She left law and used her savings to live off until her PR agency startup was able to pay the bills. Sounds pretty smart to me. A lot of people find law a bad fit and many of them do not make such a successful transition out of it.

Serpentstooth beat me to it.  This person left one job to pursue a passion, and is having a good time with her now-successful business.  If this is anti mustachian, what do you think is mustachian?  Staying in a job you hate?   Being unsuccessful at doing what you love?

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:38:50 AM »
Why is this in the shame and comedy section? She left law and used her savings to live off until her PR agency startup was able to pay the bills. Sounds pretty smart to me. A lot of people find law a bad fit and many of them do not make such a successful transition out of it.

Serpentstooth beat me to it.  This person left one job to pursue a passion, and is having a good time with her now-successful business.  If this is anti mustachian, what do you think is mustachian?  Staying in a job you hate?   Being unsuccessful at doing what you love?

+1

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:07:51 AM »
Um, let's see, 6-figure salary, with a year saved up (because no student loans); investment banker future husband; parents paid for law school; fragrance business(!), and PR as a passion? -- c'mon!  This silver spoon chick offers almost nothing in the way of lessons for the general public. Not saying she is necessarily "anti-Mustachian," but as a financial interest story, this one is pretty damn thin (and comical) IMHO.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:52:01 AM »
Um, let's see, 6-figure salary, with a year saved up (because no student loans); investment banker future husband; parents paid for law school; fragrance business(!), and PR as a passion? -- c'mon!  This silver spoon chick offers almost nothing in the way of lessons for the general public. Not saying she is necessarily "anti-Mustachian," but as a financial interest story, this one is pretty damn thin (and comical) IMHO.
I didn't have any student loans, and privilege had nothing to do with it. Why not just be happy for her?
The fragrance thing is a little comical, but if she can make it work, more power to her.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 09:16:57 AM »
Her customers may be anti-Mustachian, but she sounds like a success story to me. Yes, it helps that she had multiple layers of "safety margin" to cushion the risk.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
This story definitely does not belong on the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy.  While it's true that the lady started from a place of privilege, she also made very smart choices for earning high income, saving a year's worth of expenses, planning for a career change, transitioning into her new work, and controlling the costs of her budding business.  This is a success story, to me.

EricL

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:12:42 AM »
A pile on to all the previous posters.  We scrimp and save so we can eventually do what we want to do.  It's a means to an end and not an end to itself - though it can good for you and habit forming. This lady had to buck societal/family expectations to do this and curb well practiced consumer habits privilege or no.  (Does this mean if she succeeds she's privileged; if she fails she's an idiot?)

And she could have still fallen off her damn high heels trying.  Indeed she might still.  Hers wouldn't be the first dream business to start with positive press and die with a whimper.  But IMO she's entitled to praise for what she's done so far and God speed.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 01:42:28 PM »
coming from means doesnt make you unmustachian.  chasing your dream could be considered mustachian. 

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »
The world has one less lawyer. What's not to like?

At least she's not writing legal thrillers. We have enough of those ex-lawyers, too.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 09:21:25 PM »

At least she's not writing legal thrillers. We have enough of those ex-lawyers, too.

I'm a sucker for a good legal thriller, can't wait for the next Lincoln Lawyer.

Ozapftis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 03:06:26 PM »
The only problem I have with this article is that it tries to tell the story in a I-worked-my-way-up-against-all-odds type of tone when really what is happening is that a priviledged, financially independent woman (well-off parents, hubby is an investment banker, etc.) drops out of the regular job market to pursue an activity/hobby she likes better instead.

So, it's really the author's fault.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 03:08:21 PM by Ozapftis »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!