Author Topic: Foreclosed prepper with an upbeat ending  (Read 4878 times)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: Foreclosed prepper with an upbeat ending
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 07:55:50 AM »
!!! Thank you for posting that wonderful story, Poundwise!!

I don't think it belongs in shame/comedy, but I'm really glad you shared it. So many heartwarming details.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:10:14 AM by jooniFLORisploo »

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »
Good story! Oddly enough, I rode my bike down Tuckerton Road this morning.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:10:29 PM »
Shipping vienna sausages to Puerto Rico?

I have nothing to say about that.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »
!!! Thank you for posting that wonderful story, Poundwise!!

I don't think it belongs in shame/comedy, but I'm really glad you shared it. So many heartwarming details.

Well, I started reading it in a judgemental mood (how could a person spend so much preparing for such an unlikely event) but in the end it seems like he had led a happy life and instead of ending his life alone and broke, he has found a new family and community.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 05:35:38 PM »
Yes, in the end he had copious amounts of food to share with others in direct need of food, and gained new family...and they gained him :)    A lot of people won in that story.

He and his wife were so thoughtful for so many years, planning to save 100 people, making their extra showers available to neighbours when need presented itself....and when it all fell apart, he generously gave almost everything he had left to complete strangers.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 06:28:59 PM »
That is such a beautiful story.
I'm beyond thankful that the food is going where needed, and I can only hope that the house and possessions find their purpose too.

I'm imagining a hospice or group home or rshelter or retreat centre. I don't want a follow up on the outcome, because I want to imagine everything becoming just what it needs to be

availablelight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 01:27:16 AM »
His food found a purpose in saving people from disaster in the end.  I just hope it makes it to the people who need it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »
In a greater sense, he did get to do exactly what he spent his life planning and preparing to do: save people from a disaster that might otherwise have killed them. It just wasn't the specific disaster he predicted and the bunker-style house wasn't needed for the purpose.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »
What a nice story.  Usually I look at doomsday preppers with somewhat of a jaundiced eye but it's nice to read about people doing good things.
At least the food will help those in desperate need in Puerto Rico.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
His food found a purpose in saving people from disaster in the end.  I just hope it makes it to the people who need it.
More likely than not, it will.  The food is being shipped by family on the mainland, to family in Puerto Rico.  No government hand waving dystopia to muck it up too much..

availablelight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 02:21:53 PM »
In a greater sense, he did get to do exactly what he spent his life planning and preparing to do: save people from a disaster that might otherwise have killed them. It just wasn't the specific disaster he predicted and the bunker-style house wasn't needed for the purpose.

My thoughts exactly.  Though he did also provide hot showers to neighbors during a power outage (presumably he had a generator or something -- don't remember seeing that in the article, though I could have skimmed over it), so that got put to use too.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
Peppers are secret Mustachians with a very different asset allocation strategy...

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »
Peppers are secret Mustachians with a very different asset allocation strategy...

ha, true!!

And the 'stachers in PR right now are in the same boat as everyone, as they can't access their carefully squirrelled away dough. What everyone needs is food and shelter, and all the money in the world isn't helping the wealthier there access those.