Author Topic: Why do I read comments on internet articles?  (Read 3790 times)

Bumbling Bee

• Stubble
    • Journey of a Thousand Face Punches
Why do I read comments on internet articles?
« on: August 08, 2015, 07:38:25 PM »
All I wanted to do was read an uplifting article, while procrastinating. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/turkey/11783353/Meet-the-Turkish-couple-who-spent-their-wedding-day-feeding-4000-Syrian-refugees.html

Wow, I say. What a lovely thing to do. What amazing values these people share. Their marriage will be great. And then I get to the comments, like:

A woman's wedding day is the most sacred and honorable day of her life, in which she is to demonstrate to the world her value by finding an honorable husband who can provide a ceremony that will bring her family honor. By giving away the focus of her wedding day to these refugees who have not found husbands who can afford wedding dinners of their own, she is only serving to show how little she values herself and her family.

I can proudly say that my husband would punish me justly if I were to ever shame him by asking that our wedding be turned into a celebration of refugees whose husbands are too poor to treat them like real women.

W.T.F.

And other mental (my apology to stupid people) moral deficients agree with her!

I agree. It's a total turnoff when guys just want to throw their money away. It's like he's deliberately trying to make his wife look neglected in front of her friends...her friends who are actually getting the weddings they're entitled to, where the money is actually spent on the BRIDE instead of the HOMELESS.

Seriously boys, make your money and give to charity or whatever, but you have to give your girl her wedding (ring, engagement party, bachelorette weekend, real wedding, not that complicated, and yes more important than feeding the homeless). Otherwise she'll happily find a guy who knows where his money's at.

Sadly, I actually know a couple of women I can see saying this.

I also agree with this post. You don't have to be Muslim to understand the lifelong trauma that this woman will feel, attending the weddings of other women and seeing their strong husbands celebrate their wealth and beauty. This wedding shows only that the husband either has so little wealth that he should not consider himself deserving of a wife at all, or that he feels she is not beautiful enough to be worth celebrating. Think of the shame that must be felt by her parents, and who would ever marry their daughters?

Lifelong trauma?!?

I agree with Aisha. A girl's wedding is more important than giving a group of people food for one day. And even if they say it will inspire others to feed more people, that's just more weddings being ruined.

A woman's wedding is her chance to prove what kind of man she was beautiful enough to get. I'm sorry but this makes the husband look like kind of a whelp who can't take care of his wife and doesn't care about giving her what she deserves.

Christ, I really hope they're all trolls. But I somehow doubt it.

Merrie

• Bristles
Re: Why do I read comments on internet articles?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 09:03:07 PM »
It's interesting that these people all seem to assume that the man chose to have this wedding and the woman had no say in it. If you have it firmly in your head that a wedding is a celebration of a woman's worth, then the idea of instead turning your wedding into something that is not all about those two specific people could be somewhat jarring. I would go so far as to say that I believe these people are correct to a certain extent, insofar as if one party did push the wedding in a certain direction and ignore the feelings and wishes of the other, the other probably would be pretty upset and hurt then and in the years to come. But I think it's pretty likely that the original couple DID both choose to do this particular thing with their wedding and are happy about it.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »
I find it hilarious that Xainab Mohammad is accusing the guy of being misogynist, while saying that the only value a woman has to determine her marriageability is her beauty.  Not to mention that a man has to spend his money "exclusively on things that demonstrate wealth." 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 10:01:25 AM »
Wow.  Just . . . wow.

zing12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 04:31:28 PM »
I find it hilarious that Xainab Mohammad is accusing the guy of being misogynist, while saying that the only value a woman has to determine her marriageability is her beauty.  Not to mention that a man has to spend his money "exclusively on things that demonstrate wealth."

Xainab Mohammad: I have to agree with Aisha. This event is highly misogynistic, as with so much of our society nowadays. If the husband is willing to throw away the money that was supposed to be for his wife's WEDDING, he has already proven that he has no regard for her reputation or for fulfilling her lifelong dreams. So then what should she expect him to spend the money on for the rest of the marriage? He's going to throw the money away carelessly instead of making her feel beautiful and wanted.
30 years ago this would never have happened. Men understood the importance of their wives' reputations, and weren't afraid to be real men and earn their wives' love. This is just another example of the misogynistic rape culture that is so prevalent today.
MY FELLOW FEMINISTS, we need to make our voices heard and stop this culture of oppression!! If your husbands don't understand how to treat you, their are plenty of real men who will happily put your skinny husband in his place (the floor), sweep you off your feet, and give you the REAL wedding you deserve.

Yes I don't think old Xainab knows what misogyny or feminism means. lol

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:48:59 PM »
So, let me get this straight: feeding the homeless = misogynistic rape culture.

I have officially heard it all, at the young age of 37.

What do I do now?