Author Topic: For 15 Years, I worked really hard, and saved everything...  (Read 9000 times)

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
For 15 Years, I worked really hard, and saved everything...
« on: April 16, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »
I suspect this is the antichrist of MMM...  Skip to 5:30 if you're not into wickedly fast bikes, cars and women.  Rewind it if you are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MDY9fl-IA#t=5m30s

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:10:16 PM by Heckler »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: For 15 Years, I worked really hard, and saved everything...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »
I'll have to watch this when I'm not at work, then. :D

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 04:15:41 PM »
Wow.... saved for 15 years to buy a car.

Did he consider that the maintenance expenses on such a car are insane?  You don't buy a lambo and expect to get 200,000 miles out of it. 

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »
At least he didn't finance it like the rest of them likely did.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »
Wow.... saved for 15 years to buy a car.

Did he consider that the maintenance expenses on such a car are insane?  You don't buy a lambo and expect to get 200,000 miles out of it.

Different strokes for different folks. Most Mustachians seem to want to travel, some people don't have that desire.

I know one successful guy who always had money stashed in his Supercar fund since his first job out of college. He beat cancer once in his late 50s. When a test showed it was back in his 60s, he knew it was time. Came home with a brand new Triple Black Corvette ZR1 to the tune of ~$125k. They gave him 3 months and he was 9 months past that last time I saw him.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
Huh, money well spent if it gives you something to live for with cancer...

Why did those guys have their doors open though?    And what was with the flame in the exhaust?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »
Why did those guys have their doors open though?    And what was with the flame in the exhaust?

Because they can with scissor doors? Probably about as reasonable as all the extra lights they installed.

Exhaust flames are typically caused by unburned fuel (too rich fuel/air mixture) being ignited by the hot exhaust. This is more common on high performance/race cars as they can be tuned to use excess fuel to cool the engine.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 03:03:59 PM »

Because they can with scissor doors? Probably about as reasonable as all the extra lights they installed.

Exhaust flames are typically caused by unburned fuel (too rich fuel/air mixture) being ignited by the hot exhaust. This is more common on high performance/race cars as they can be tuned to use excess fuel to cool the engine.

You'll generally see that on throttle lift, as you have unburnt fuel burning on the way out of the exhaust.

bzzzt

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »
You'll generally see that on throttle lift, as you have unburnt fuel burning on the way out of the exhaust.

With as much flame came out and as "blingy" as they rest of that car looks, it's a system that sprays fuel in the exhaust and ignites it with a spark plug. Fuel mixes with unburned O2 in the exhaust and... FLAMES!

You see it on show cars from time to time. Used to be more popular with the older guys driving Tri-Five Chevys and Lead Sleds.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 07:10:32 PM »
Spraying fuel into your exhaust and igniting it with a spark plug?   :-)  That reminds me of the turbo-charger kit that makes the cool turbo-charger noise, but doesn't actually pump air anywhere.  Except this one is more likely to explode.

I've never heard of tuning an engine to run rich to improve the cooling.  But engines aren't my thing.  This guy suggests it can be used to reduce knock by slowing the 'flame front' propagation so the peak pressure is reached after TDC.   http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/rich.php  Interesting.

bzzzt

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »
I've never heard of tuning an engine to run rich to improve the cooling.  But engines aren't my thing.  This guy suggests it can be used to reduce knock by slowing the 'flame front' propagation so the peak pressure is reached after TDC.   http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/rich.php  Interesting.

RWD's comment is actually off a little. Performance/race cars don't usually flame out the exhaust to run cooler, it's usually a byproduct of either ignition cut (no-lift shifting) or a carb car still drawing fuel through the boosters after throttle close.

Running richer doesn't necessarily see improvements in the cooling system, but the cylinder temps runs cooler, easier on catalysts, etc. This is a common tuning technique to keep engines from burning up during periods of high load (trucks towing up a grade, loaded heavy, etc). Without correct tuning, it is easy to burn up an engine by working it to death.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 10:34:24 AM »
Hey, if someone is willing to save for 15 years to buy a car, more power to them. This is delayed gratification at it's finest, and clearly this worth that much to them. This isn't something that I would spend my money on, but not my life.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 04:01:54 PM »
Spraying fuel into your exhaust and igniting it with a spark plug?   :-)  That reminds me of the turbo-charger kit that makes the cool turbo-charger noise, but doesn't actually pump air anywhere.  Except this one is more likely to explode.

A leaner mixture is generally more prone to detonation (unstable/premature ignition). Additional fuel will provide a cooling property in the combustion chamber (for example, using E85; it requires about 30% more fuel than gasoline and provides similar effects to running methanol injection). The other end of that coin is timing. If your ignition timing is too far advanced, you will have your fuel combustion event attempting to push the piston down while it hasn't finished its up-travel.

With as much flame came out and as "blingy" as they rest of that car looks, it's a system that sprays fuel in the exhaust and ignites it with a spark plug. Fuel mixes with unburned O2 in the exhaust and... FLAMES!

You see it on show cars from time to time. Used to be more popular with the older guys driving Tri-Five Chevys and Lead Sleds.
Ah, I didn't watch the video. Yeah, my cousin had that set up on his Mustang....silly.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!