Author Topic: Flights to Nowhere  (Read 4572 times)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
Flights to Nowhere
« on: September 22, 2020, 05:55:40 AM »
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/09/22/the-flight-goes-nowhere-and-it-s-sold-out.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/09/17/growing-number-airlines-offer-flights-nowhere-international-travel-remains-stalled/

tldr: Pay lots of money to enter an enclosed space with a bunch of strangers for several hours to fly around in a big circle. Because people miss the experience of flying. Some of these flights sold out in less than ten minutes.

ETA: Some of these people are paying over USD$2000 for a flight that goes nowhere! And for the pleasure of spending several hours in an enclosed space during a pandemic.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:28:06 AM by Freedomin5 »

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Flights to Nowhere
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 06:57:10 AM »
I really don't get it.....pre-Covid, I didn't enjoy flying, it was merely a means to an end, a way to get somewhere.   I'm not a nervous flyer, but always felt crappy afterward, headache etc.   

I try not to judge people, some people need to travel....but getting on a plane when you don't have to for the 'enjoyment' of a flight?   Makes no sense WITHOUT Covid19....

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 08:05:04 AM »
Wow. Now I've heard everything.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 09:13:43 AM »
Even pre-Covid, unless I am one of the pilots, I have no desire to be on a plane.  It is just a means to get to a destination.  This makes less sense than a 1 ton 4x4 to daily commute to an office.  At least the 1 ton has leg room and comfy seats.  Throw in the increased chances of getting sick?  No thanks.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 09:25:55 AM »
Well this is officially the dumbest thing I've seen today.

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 10:16:22 AM »
I get that they’re being called flights to nowhere, but they’re actually flights to somewhere but you don’t land at the destination, and can lump several destinations into a single trip.

The US equivalent would be take of from, let’s say, Dallas. Buzz the Grand Canyon, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, New York City, Washington DC, and New Orleans. Land back in Dallas. I’d rather visit those places, but to each their own.

The one trip of this type I would consider taking would be over Antarctica.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »
If all I get to do is *look* at my intended vacation spot, I better get a window that's a whole lot bigger than the standard airliner window.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 12:13:36 PM »
If all I get to do is *look* at my intended vacation spot, I better get a window that's a whole lot bigger than the standard airliner window.

And a seat with more than 30" of legroom.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 06:12:09 AM »
Mileage run?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »

At least some of them are using the 787s, which do have rather substantially larger windows than older airframes.

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 04:20:55 PM »
I think in Hawaii you can get a scenic helicopter ride over some volcanoes. But I think it’s usually a private flight. The airplane concept is weird to me.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 08:16:23 PM »
I think in Hawaii you can get a scenic helicopter ride over some volcanoes. But I think it’s usually a private flight. The airplane concept is weird to me.
Helicopters have the advantage of large windows, low altitudes, and slow speeds, so you actually get a decent view.  The idea of doing it from an airlines is just mystifying to me.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 08:57:02 AM »
Mileage run?
Yeah, epic mileage run. Ever see the threads at FlyerTalk Forums?

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
I think I understand. 

My father took me for my first airplane trip when I was ten.  I sat by the window and used a whole roll of film taking stupid pictures of the wing.  Later in life, I would always try to sit by the window, unless there happened to be a child nearby who wanted to trade seats.

There's something thrilling about the takeoff run, the takeoff itself, the steep banks when turning, the turbulence, and the landing.  Hell, there's something thrilling about calmly drinking ginger ale or using the lavatory while moving 500 miles per hour at 30,000 feet.  Even on a long, boring flight, when nothing's going on, meditating on the planet slowly going by beneath you gives you a new perspective on everything.

I don't think I would ever pay $2000 just to fly around, but the idea isn't completely alien. 

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 08:41:24 PM »
My first plane ride was a trip to nowhere--It was the prize for selling the most newspaper subscriptions in my area. We took off from OAK, flew over Tahoe, and were back in an hour.

Imaging a plane filled with 150 11-year-olds.  Actually, we were very well behaved. Different times.

I don't get the current scheme. that would be like driving around the block endlessly in a very expensive car.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 05:23:54 AM »
I don't get the current scheme. that would be like driving around the block endlessly in a very expensive car.

And yet, I think if someone offered that, people would take them up on it.
$XX to ride for (time) in a Lamborghini.

Actually, I think this also already exists.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 07:06:29 AM »

We have a track here that back in BC times (Before Coronavirus) had lambos and other high end performance cars that you could pay to drive around the track.  Over $200 for about 5 miles.   

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 07:10:43 AM »

It does, you can rent supercars at a lot of tracks for $200-600 for 3 laps.  It's on a track and you get a professional ride-along (mostly to make sure you don't do really stupid things).  You can also just have the professional drive you for more like $50.  I'd recommend doing both, starting with the professional so you can see how they approach the track instead of wasting at least one of your really expensive laps learning that.  Only did this once and work paid for it though!

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 10:44:12 AM »
Gross.  This is so environmentally reprehensible someone should be put in the stocks and pelted with rotten fruit.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2020, 02:37:49 PM »
I think I understand. 

My father took me for my first airplane trip when I was ten.  I sat by the window and used a whole roll of film taking stupid pictures of the wing.  Later in life, I would always try to sit by the window, unless there happened to be a child nearby who wanted to trade seats.

There's something thrilling about the takeoff run, the takeoff itself, the steep banks when turning, the turbulence, and the landing.  Hell, there's something thrilling about calmly drinking ginger ale or using the lavatory while moving 500 miles per hour at 30,000 feet.  Even on a long, boring flight, when nothing's going on, meditating on the planet slowly going by beneath you gives you a new perspective on everything.

I don't think I would ever pay $2000 just to fly around, but the idea isn't completely alien.

Let's rent a fast car and I'll take you on some thrilling ride on mtn roads around here. Far less cost. ;)

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 07:06:33 AM »

It does, you can rent supercars at a lot of tracks for $200-600 for 3 laps.  It's on a track and you get a professional ride-along (mostly to make sure you don't do really stupid things).  You can also just have the professional drive you for more like $50.  I'd recommend doing both, starting with the professional so you can see how they approach the track instead of wasting at least one of your really expensive laps learning that.  Only did this once and work paid for it though!

Really depends how cool this flight to nowhere is. Are the views incredible? Are they visiting sights that are hard to see anyway but from the air? Is there a ton of downtime with nothing to see between sights? Or are they flying at normal cruising altitudes where you can't see much on a good day or nothing at all on a cloudy day?

In the fancy car comparison that's the difference between driving the Lamborghini on a race track and driving the Lamborghini in a bumper to bumper traffic jam. One is thrilling, novel, and makes some level of sense (ignoring the environmental aspect) even if I wouldn't pay for it myself. The other is just a waste.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 03:21:00 PM »
In the fancy car comparison that's the difference between driving the Lamborghini on a race track ...

Oh man, this brought back some old memories.
One of my Top 10 Life Regrets is not paying to be a passenger as a professional driver took an Aston Martin Vantage around the Nürburgring.

Looks like they're still doing the ride-along program! Man, if only there wasn't a global pandemic...1st world problems anyone?
https://www.nuerburgring.de/fahren-erleben/fahren/co-pilot-fahrt/co-pilot-fahrt.html

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 08:25:05 AM »
I think I understand. 

I agree, I don't fly often because it's a hassle just getting to that point, but once you're seated, I enjoy everything up to after that point and spend essentially the entire time looking out the window.  Even at night, I find it interesting.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:04:49 PM by bigblock440 »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 07:33:47 PM »
I think I understand. 

I agree, I don't fly often because it's a hassle just getting to that point, but once you're seated, I enjoy everything up to that point and spend essentially the entire time looking out the window.  Even at night, I find it interesting.

The first time I flew to Palm Springs international I was amazed at how much I could see on the ground on the last 3rd of the flight.  Normally all I ever see is clouds.

bill1827

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »
This one doesn't even get off the ground.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54519322

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 03:44:00 PM »
This one doesn't even get off the ground.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54519322

LOL. I never thought I’d see the day when people would pay a premium to have airplane food. Most people complain about those meals.