Author Topic: Fit kids cost $2900 a year??  (Read 2995 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Fit kids cost $2900 a year??
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/home-cents/keep-the-kids-fit-and-your-bank-account-too/article4440066/

My favourite part: the mom quits the gym and rides a bike to get fit, so that she can use the money to pay for her kids' appallingly expensive organized hockey. And they're not even calculating the cost of the big mofo van to drive the kids to practice and games...

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: Fit kids cost $2900 a year??
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »
Yeah, it's wastefully spent, but at least it's wastefully spent on something worthwhile. That's way better than spending it on cruises.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fit kids cost $2900 a year??
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 06:23:45 PM »
In a hockey mad country  I grew up playing soccer.   I never thought much of it,  I can't play hockey  because I play soccer....  It turns out that I played soccer because we were "poor" when I was little.  Hockey equipment cost way too much but a pair of cleats (probably used) some shin pads and a years registration was $50.   It wasn't until I was in my final year playing youth league at 17 that I realized some of my friends at school spent more on equipment each year then I had spent in 12 years of playing.   The road trips were probably a bit expensive but they were usually tied in with camping trips...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!