Author Topic: First World Problems as read by children  (Read 5974 times)

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
First World Problems as read by children
« on: December 14, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »
I don't remember seeing this being posted before, but please forgive me if it is a repeat.

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/kids-third-world-countries-read-first-world-problems-suddenly-dont-feel-like-problems-video/

mandies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: First World Problems as read by children
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:23:27 AM »
This is great! It puts it all in perspective.

I work for an orphan empowerment non-profit and this is a great idea for a future fundraising video.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
Made me think of this.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
Nice. Loved it. That helps put our charmed existence into perspective.

1st World Problem: "I'm breaking in my new shoes and my ankle is sore."
2nd World Problem: "I just got my brother's old pair of shoes."
3rd World Problem: "I wish I had shoes."

More like:

2nd World Problem: My government-provided shoes look like everyone else's government-provided shoes

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 01:52:14 PM »
Nice. Loved it. That helps put our charmed existence into perspective.

1st World Problem: "I'm breaking in my new shoes and my ankle is sore."
2nd World Problem: "I just got my brother's old pair of shoes."
3rd World Problem: "I wish I had shoes."

More like:

2nd World Problem: My government-provided shoes look like everyone else's government-provided shoes
2nd World Problem: My shoes wore out from standing in line for shoelaces.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 11:48:23 AM »
Is there really such a thing as 2nd World?

aclarridge

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »
Sure, they're called "developing" countries these days. There's a list on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_country

avonlea

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »
Is there really such a thing as 2nd World?

I think you are the person on this forum that would know best, Albert. :)  Didn't you say you were born in the former Soviet Union?

avonlea

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 12:04:32 PM »
Ugh.  I think that second part of my post came out wrong.  I was seriously asking, Albert.  I hope it didn't come across as sarcastic.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »
Don't worry, I'm really not THAT easily offended. :) It's just that such a term is not really used by anyone.

Most of Eastern Europe including parts of the former USSR these days don't look all that different from USA. People are poorer no doubt, but not to such an extent that it's obvious. Most people drive older cars out of necessity instead of choice, I guess would be the most visible sign.

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »
Don't worry, I'm really not THAT easily offended. :) It's just that such a term is not really used by anyone.

Most of Eastern Europe including parts of the former USSR these days don't look all that different from USA. People are poorer no doubt, but not to such an extent that it's obvious. Most people drive older cars out of necessity instead of choice, I guess would be the most visible sign.

It was never really about economics, when the phrase was coined. The First World were the countries allied with the USA, regardless of per-capita income. The second world was the Communist Bloc. The Third World was everybody who didn't fall into one camp or the other : The Non-Aligned Nations. It just so happened that that was composed mostly of poor, ex-colonial nations. Not entirely, though: Switzerland, Austria, Sweden and Finland were all considered members of the Third World, given their official neutrality. Which seems bizzare, given that the phrase has now become synonymous with poverty and underdevelopment, but there you go. Words are a funny thing.

From the original context, I suppose you could say there's still a 'second world' : North Korea, Vietnam, and Cuba. (After the Sino-Soviet split, China was counted as part of the Third World. Not for its level of development, again, but because of its status vis-a-vis the superpowers.) Pretty small world, though.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
I didn't know about this historic origin of the phrase. For me the term "third world" has always been associated with poverty, low education, political instability and extreme differences between rich and poor.