Author Topic: Fireworks  (Read 7701 times)

Kio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fireworks
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »
I live in an awesome neighborhood. It just so happens that the avg household annual income of my hood is $40,000, with 24% of residents below the poverty line. 

This was my first 4th of July in my neighborhood, and I am astounded at the amount of money people must have spent on fireworks.

Every night this summer people have been lighting fireworks off a few here and there. But over 4th of July weekend it was literally constant fireworks from the entire neighborhood from Friday to Monday.  And not just little fountains, but huge air born fireworks. I felt like I was in the middle of a professional fireworks grand finale for 48 hours solid.

I really LOVE fireworks, but I actually started getting a fireworks hangover. It was just so much, you couldn't even appreciate it anymore.  And then I got really sad when people were lighting off really expensive fireworks during the day! How sad to spend so much money and not even get to SEE the fireworks.  Its like when you go to an all you can eat buffet, and you're full and sick but there's more food so you keep eating.

It just made me sad because it just seems so wasteful. I'm all for people having fun, and I think its fine to spend a little on luxuries for a holiday, regardless of your income level. A few fireworks, even a few big expensive ones; whatever if that's your thing. I'm trying to not be a jerk that's policing poor people, but households must have spent close to $1,000 on these fireworks, and I just don't get it.  :(

</rant>

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Fireworks
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:48:39 PM »
I hear what you're saying. But I also live in a neighborhood that's overall lower income. I am too lazy to look it up, but I'd say it's about what yours is. However, I make a whole lot more than $40k. So average means that half the people are above that level. And fireworks are pretty cheap. I bought a huge amount once for like $30.

Kio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:59:30 PM »
Good point on 'avg' definition!  Its true I don't know exactly how much people spent...  But I do know that I spent $10 for 4 wimpy wimpy fireworks.  Fireworks are technically illegal in our city, and most of the ones people were setting off are illegal in the state.  So, they either drove out of city / state to get them, or they bought them from the sketch fireworks guy that drives around and sells them out of his car for a massive markup.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 01:23:22 PM »
Back when I was young, and poor, I would routinely spend $100-200 a year that I didn't have to spare, on fireworks.  Haven't bought any for at least ten years.  We are in a nice area put of the city limits so they are legal, but none of my neighbors lit any off that I am aware off. 

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »
I own a BIG BANG Cannon I purchased in the 90's:

http://www.bigbangcannons.com/

I raised my own kids and their friends on its safe use and this year had the pleasure of breaking it out for my 5 and 2 year old grandchildren and their friends.  After teaching them all to scream "Fire In The Hole" before every shot and giving the older ones a chance to fire it a couple of times, my popularity soars and the children make me their king.   

One day I will pass it on to my grandson.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:40:53 PM by Capsu78 »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 07:22:03 AM »
It has always bothered me how much my city spends on fireworks.  Especially when they don't have the money to fix our roads. Seems like a waste of my tax dollars.

Individuals can waste their money however they want.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »
Me and my GF sat on our roof and watched our neighbors waste who knows how much launching 10 mortars at a time from 7pm - 11pm must have shot off 100+ mortars. I don't get the enjoyment of shooting off so many at once I would rather shoot one off at a time to get max enjoyment.

At least it was free to us. =)

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 09:25:18 AM »
My DH was commenting on this on 4th as we drove through 4 downtown fireworks shows (long story). Most of those towns where low-income. He just couldn't wrap his head around someone spending $100-200 on fireworks when they have debt.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 09:36:58 AM »
It has always bothered me how much my city spends on fireworks.  Especially when they don't have the money to fix our roads. Seems like a waste of my tax dollars.

Individuals can waste their money however they want.

In a way, this may be actually generating revenue. Bringing in people from around the area into the shops, bars, and markets. When cities put on parades, fireworks, shows, or events they often make gigantic amounts more than the event cost.

For instance in MN, our state is putting in money for a football field. I never watch football but I do question if this is a good investment. Chances are, it will generate as much, if not more money than it cost though...

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 10:17:45 AM »

I raised my own kids and their friends on its safe use and this year had the pleasure of breaking it out for my 5 and 2 year old grandchildren and their friends.  After teaching them all to scream "Fire In The Hole" before every shot and giving the older ones a chance to fire it a couple of times, my popularity soars and the children make me their king.   

what the heck? What does it do??

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »
Getting my daughter to sleep on Independence Day was challenging. Found a bottle rocket on my back porch, too. But you see people line-drying on every sunny day.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 10:25:11 AM »
Wow, I have not seen people in my area spend that crazy amount of money on fireworks.  However, my parents went to a 4th of July BBQ at their friend's house, and the host's 28 year old son put on an entire fireworks show on his dime.  My mom tells me someone commented "thanks for literally blowing up your years salary" as a joke.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 10:42:07 AM »
At least if you're going to send your money up in smoke, do it with a bang!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »
Getting my daughter to sleep on Independence Day was challenging. Found a bottle rocket on my back porch, too. But you see people line-drying on every sunny day.

My dogs cowered in the bathtub and closets, not going outside to do their business for two days.  One was dripping saliva from his mouth he was so scared.  I don't appreciate the neighborhood fireworks, and I'm sure some of the local veterans with PTSD don't either.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 10:53:29 AM »

In a way, this may be actually generating revenue. Bringing in people from around the area into the shops, bars, and markets. When cities put on parades, fireworks, shows, or events they often make gigantic amounts more than the event cost.

For instance in MN, our state is putting in money for a football field. I never watch football but I do question if this is a good investment. Chances are, it will generate as much, if not more money than it cost though...

I'm not sure anyone comes to see this fireworks show... we're talking a city with 15,000 people.  And every city in the nearby area does a show of their own. (I could drive to I think 10 different fireworks displays in less than 30 minutes.)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »
I rolled over on the 4th and spent $100 on fireworks.  Brother in law spent $200 and son $100.   Together we put on a pretty good display for the 14 people there.   Probably do it again next year but next year I'm ordering on line in February.   The markup at the stands in incredible.    The average cost per mortar shell was something like $3.  Crazy fun though!

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
I live in an awesome neighborhood. It just so happens that the avg household annual income of my hood is $40,000, with 24% of residents below the poverty line. 

This was my first 4th of July in my neighborhood, and I am astounded at the amount of money people must have spent on fireworks.

Every night this summer people have been lighting fireworks off a few here and there. But over 4th of July weekend it was literally constant fireworks from the entire neighborhood from Friday to Monday.  And not just little fountains, but huge air born fireworks. I felt like I was in the middle of a professional fireworks grand finale for 48 hours solid.

I really LOVE fireworks, but I actually started getting a fireworks hangover. It was just so much, you couldn't even appreciate it anymore.  And then I got really sad when people were lighting off really expensive fireworks during the day! How sad to spend so much money and not even get to SEE the fireworks.  Its like when you go to an all you can eat buffet, and you're full and sick but there's more food so you keep eating.

It just made me sad because it just seems so wasteful. I'm all for people having fun, and I think its fine to spend a little on luxuries for a holiday, regardless of your income level. A few fireworks, even a few big expensive ones; whatever if that's your thing. I'm trying to not be a jerk that's policing poor people, but households must have spent close to $1,000 on these fireworks, and I just don't get it.  :(

</rant>

Meh.   I'm not really one for fireworks, but we have a household income that would not distort your neighborhood's average (in the 50k range), live like kings (family of 3 plus putting a 4th through college), and still save/invest $1500+ per month (not including paying off house principle).   If we valued fireworks, we could afford quite a display every year without making a dent in anything.   Just pointing out that making assumptions based on income is not always the best idea.

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 11:15:37 AM »
So average means that half the people are above that level.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but that definition is actually the median, not the average. Median and average can be the same number if it's a genuinely normal distribution. Otherwise it looks like the right two pictures in this image:

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/sciences/psychology/psychology/psychology-measurement-and-statistics/~/media/A4B551D884A442D99EB34DD22384C652.ashx

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
So average means that half the people are above that level.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but that definition is actually the median, not the average. Median and average can be the same number if it's a genuinely normal distribution. Otherwise it looks like the right two pictures in this image:

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/sciences/psychology/psychology/psychology-measurement-and-statistics/~/media/A4B551D884A442D99EB34DD22384C652.ashx

You're right. I know the difference, just a slip-up. Generally those stats are given as median income due to the distortionary impact a single high-earner would have, so that's probably why I was thinking that way by reflex.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »

what the heck? What does it do??

It goes "BOOM" in a safe and sane way... and it's made in the US of A!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcJCmeYvaW0
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:22:48 PM by Capsu78 »

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »
My dogs cowered in the bathtub and closets, not going outside to do their business for two days.  One was dripping saliva from his mouth he was so scared.  I don't appreciate the neighborhood fireworks, and I'm sure some of the local veterans with PTSD don't either.

My dogs get seriously traumatized by fireworks too, which is further complicated by the fact that one of the local public fireworks displays is about 1 mile away from our house. This year we finally wised up and packed the dogs into the car and drove out to the local mountains/national forest (about an hour drive) for the evening. We still had some asshat neighbors launching their illegal fireworks when we got home, but we managed to avoid the worst of it. If my dogs were better behaved I would have just taken them camping for the entire weekend. We live in a very dry, drought-stricken, fire prone area so no one would put up with illegal fireworks in the National Forest.

Kio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 10:17:58 PM »
Me and my GF sat on our roof and watched our neighbors waste who knows how much launching 10 mortars at a time from 7pm - 11pm must have shot off 100+ mortars. I don't get the enjoyment of shooting off so many at once I would rather shoot one off at a time to get max enjoyment.

At least it was free to us. =)

:) Yeah, that was the good part for us too.  Rooftop view of the best show in the city... for free!

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 11:17:55 PM »
I tend to view fireworks as a waste of powder and money.  Thankfully neither dog is scared.  The beagle likes to come hunting with me and spent an hour looking for the downed critters she was convinced must have been there after all the bangs.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!