Author Topic: Fingerhut  (Read 6833 times)

iamsoners

• Stubble
Fingerhut
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:20 AM »
I've been seeing ads lately for fingerhut.com which will allow you to pay in installments for consumer goods. They're an old company and may have been doing this for a long time but I'm just finding the idea of financing a Keurig coffee maker at 25% apr especially depressing right now. Is this really our society?

Here's one of the current ads.  Someone cheer me up?

jdoolin

• Stubble
    • Just My Blog
Re: Fingerhut
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »
Oh man, Fingerhut.

Back in the old days, you would get a little catalog from them that had all of their Random Shit.  Today we would call it "As Seen On TV" products, although back then I don't think most of these were ever seen on TV, but just think of that same product type.

My mom ran a balance with them for a long time.  The good news is (and maybe this will cheer you up), last fall I convinced her to reallocate how she was paying stuff off and she annihilated that account for good.

Freda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »
Ah, and Blair.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
Here's one of the current ads.  Someone cheer me up?

Total cost of a Playstation from fingerhut.com: $467.62
Total cost of a Playstation from Aaron's Lease-to-own: $1319.72

A savings of $852.10 by buying from fingerhut.com! That should cheer you up!!  ...Right?

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »
Dude....WTF! My MIL buys crap from them, I always knew she had a spending problem and crap credit but 25% APR and admitting on their website that their prices are not the lowest because they don't charge credit fees.

I just watched that commercial and looked up a few others - they are equally hillarious and sad at the same time.  How can people be that dumb.....shopping HAS to be an addiction no different than other types.

tod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tod LLC iPhone & iPad Apps
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 05:11:33 PM »
According to their pricing chart, you can buy a $5.99 item for only 2 payments of $5.99!

I hope they implode and die.

iamsoners

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 09:10:40 AM »
Did I mention Fingerhut is brought to you by your friend and mine, Bain Capital?

Umm, the Aaron's pricing comparison is---sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6iwP9Ux3A

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »
Reminds me of something that happened years ago: 

When I was a college freshman I wanted a TV for my dorm room.  I'd heard of rent-to-own and thought that would be an inexpensive way to go.  13" color TVs at that point were something like $20/week x a year and a half!  Even at 18 years old, I was shocked that anyone would be so stupid as to buy that way. 

Apparently I don't learn quickly.  A year or so ago I was supervising my kids as they sold Girl Scout cookies, and I noticed a store nearby:  Rent-to-own tires.  I commented to my friend, "Who'd want to rent tires?"  She had to explain to me that's for people who can't manage to save up a couple hundred dollars to replace their tires.  Duh. 

iamsoners

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »
...and now, with the brilliance of the internet, I'm being offered Fingerhut banner ads at the bottom of some MMM pages. Can't think of two more opposite philosophies on life...

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 08:49:59 PM »
"fingerhut" sounds kinda kinky to me. :-O

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:51:56 PM by Rich M »

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »
...and now, with the brilliance of the internet, I'm being offered Fingerhut banner ads at the bottom of some MMM pages. Can't think of two more opposite philosophies on life...
Click 'em! Takes away their money and gives it to MMM to spread the word against them.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
Wow, didn't realize that Fingerhut was still around.  I remember buying luggage from them - I think it was my first experience with a payment system.  I'm sure my mom thought she was teaching me to be financially responsible by letting me experience how to buy something on credit.  To her credit though, she did teach me about compound interest in an IRA - they had just been created.  Oh, if only I had listened to that lecture at 18.....

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »
"fingerhut" sounds kinda kinky to me. :-O
I thought it was going to be something like pizzahut... But... Fingers...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!