Author Topic: Financing Your Groceries at Kroger  (Read 5867 times)

jc4

• Stubble
Financing Your Groceries at Kroger
« on: August 02, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »
Overheard this at Kroger and joined in. I thought it was perfect for this forum.

Cashier: But I don't really have the money for it.

Bagger: But you can just finance it. You can finance anything.

Cashier: That's true. You can finance anything.

Me: Can I finance my groceries today?

Cashier: Well, I don't know. Do you have a Kroger Credit Card or something?

Bagger: I wish I could finance my groceries. Continued rambling.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Financing Your Groceries at Kroger
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
That conversation is kind of funny.  I don't have one myself, but the Kroger Visa card doesn't sound terrible as a rewards credit card though.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:42:56 AM »
I assumed that there wasn't actually such a thing as a Kroger credit card. I assumed if you're at the point of borrowing money for groceries you're already in too bad of financial shape.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »
Just yesterday, I actually got an offer in the mail for the Kroger Rewards Visa card: https://www.kroger.com/topic/1-2-3-rewards-visa-card-3

While the extra Fuel Rewards in the first year are interesting, the rewards on my Bank of America cash back card are still better. To the shredder!

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
I use my grocery store credit card a lot. It gives me enough rewards that I get free groceries a couple times a year, but I'm not really "financing" my groceries since it gets paid every month..

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 12:50:13 PM »
I put all my groceries on an Amex that pays 2% cashback on groceries... ;)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 03:29:00 AM »
You guys still have baggers? Let alone cashiers? Out here were moving fully towards self checkouts...

Most people are honest enough not to steal... but I reckon the supermarkets have figured out that if the odd person steals an apple it's still cheaper than hiring a staff member..

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 05:06:52 PM »
You guys still have baggers? Let alone cashiers? Out here were moving fully towards self checkouts...

Most people are honest enough not to steal... but I reckon the supermarkets have figured out that if the odd person steals an apple it's still cheaper than hiring a staff member..

I'm torn on this. I use cloth bags and lately I've had a couple of cashiers grumble about having to use them, about how they take longer than plastic.

My supermarket has nine self-checkouts and generally only two cashiers on duty. The self-checkouts are full of people but the manned ones? Crickets.

I'm perfectly happy going through self-checkout and using my own bags, but my husband insists on dealing with cashiers to help protect their jobs.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »
I put all my groceries on an Amex that pays 2% cashback on groceries... ;)

You probably actually get 3% if it's the no fee version.  I get 6% back on mine (at least for this year, until the annual fee hits).

Plus I go on Tuesdays with my Mom since it's senior day - another 5% off.  Prescriptions add to the discount gas.  We both go once a month, pull up on either side of a pump, and fill up for $1/gallon off. 

</brag>

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »
Not only do we still have baggers and cashiers, but some Kroger stores have a service called Clicklist where the customer orders groceries online, then drives to the store so a staff member can bring the order out to the parking lot and load the car.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:15:29 AM »
Not only do we still have baggers and cashiers, but some Kroger stores have a service called Clicklist where the customer orders groceries online, then drives to the store so a staff member can bring the order out to the parking lot and load the car.

To a European the whole idea of having baggers sounds completely idiotic. People that get paid to put your groceries in plastic bags? I don't think we've ever had that. But grocery pick-up service is widely used where I live. Because parking is a huge problem, it's much more convenient to order them online and pick them up. As I don't have a car at all, I have my groceries delivered when I can find a coupon for free delivery. I order a couple months worth of staples and they carry them into the kitchen!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 08:09:06 AM »

To a European the whole idea of having baggers sounds completely idiotic. People that get paid to put your groceries in plastic bags? I don't think we've ever had that. But grocery pick-up service is widely used where I live. Because parking is a huge problem, it's much more convenient to order them online and pick them up. As I don't have a car at all, I have my groceries delivered when I can find a coupon for free delivery. I order a couple months worth of staples and they carry them into the kitchen!
Baggers often do a lot more than just bag groceries.  They sweep floor, take items to a customer's car  or man the drop off desk, collect the shopping carts, take out trash, pickup the parking lot, change out mats, conduct price checks, collect a customer forgotten item, often refill the supplies at the cashier stands, wrap flowers, etc.   At many large stores, there will not be one bagger for every lane, but they will help out the heavy orders so the cashier is not lifting / pushing / bagging a lot of items and slowing down.   If you think about it, your stores likely have someone doing all the above, except bagging task specifically.

The big difference, I think, is the frequency in shopping.  In Canada, with a family, I would have one large trip per month, and several small trips for fresh items (milk, fruit, bread).  The large trip may be $300 in groceries.   I have even had two carts at times.

In europe, three very large bags is about my limit, although I never took a car to the store in europe, and the kitchen was small too.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »
Pretty sure I have an AMEX card that gives me 6% cash back on groceries. With a borrowing rate of 4%, I might be able to finance my groceries indefinitely if I had the risk tolerance for that.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »
Well, we always pay with CC then pay it off at month's end - so yes we finance it, every single time.

6% cashback FTW! Yes there is an annual fee, that is fine, we max it out each year (6% on the first $6k only, so $360). then switch to the 2% card