Author Topic: Financial Samurai - "1% is the new SWR"  (Read 5443 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Financial Samurai - "1% is the new SWR"
« on: February 02, 2021, 12:32:17 PM »
I subscribe to the Get Rich Slowly RSS feed, and this article was posted today, authored by Financial Samurai.  The short version of his thesis is this:

The Trinity study was performed in the 80's, when the federal funds rate was around 5%.  Now, it's at 1%.  That means that corporate bonds will have a lower return, and dividends will be similarly lower.  Which means that you can only rely on a 1% return, and so you need 100x spending in order to FIRE.

Of course, saving up 100x spending is a pretty steep hill to climb.  FS's solution?  Go back to work.  Seriously.  Because "What's funny about the 4% Rule is that its proponents don't even follow the rule!"  That, or invest in higher-risk things like REITs, dividend ETFs, rental property, etc., all of which will give you something like 3-4% returns.

What's interesting is there's no mention of index funds in there...

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Financial Samurai - "1% is the new SWR"
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 12:54:53 PM »
Don't give that mooch any clicks. I'm summarizing (and I hope my memory serves me right as I read the article months ago at this point) but I believe you left something out....

FS's solution? Go back to work. And hustle to increase website and other income streams to meet our excessive spending.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »
I feel at this point any air space we give this guy is a losing to position for us as he is clearly only about outlandish click-bait articles. He isn’t substantially adding to the conversation in any meaningful way. Let’s just move along.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 01:02:48 PM »
What a loon. 

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 01:41:20 PM »
Samurai: They were the well-paid retainers of the daimyo (the great feudal landholders).

1% my hairy arse!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »
This has been discussed a lot. He just puts out clickbait bullshit because he's admitted he needs more money to meet his inflated lifestyle.

Don't give it a second thought.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
What a loon.
Yeah, a nutcase. He lost touch of reality. I will not click on that link :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 02:24:39 PM »
What a loon.

He's not crazy, he's perfectly rational and knows exactly how to sell out his previous position of respect for the sake of click and cash.

He has nothing legitimate left to say that can possibly go viral, and he's been very open that he desperately wants more wealth.

This isn't lunacy, it's plain old boring greed.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 03:18:03 PM »
What a loon.

He's not crazy, he's perfectly rational and knows exactly how to sell out his previous position of respect for the sake of click and cash.

He has nothing legitimate left to say that can possibly go viral, and he's been very open that he desperately wants more wealth.

Right. It reminds of another respected guy, Robert Kiyosaki from rich dad poor dad. These days he just talks crazy, lures people into his bad investments and involved in shady practices.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 06:29:53 AM »
What a loon.

Right. It reminds of another respected guy, Robert Kiyosaki from rich dad poor dad. These days he just talks crazy, lures people into his bad investments and involved in shady practices.

When was Robert Kiyosaki respected? Even the original book was scammy.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 07:42:14 AM »
One percent sounds low.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 07:58:06 PM »
The comment were interesting, I only clicked because it was a guest post on Get Rich slowly, the theme seemed to be why are you publishing something from the snake oil salesman.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 08:28:48 AM »
He is the worst. 

However, the main thing that concerns me from a historical perspective is the 40 year bull market in interest rates that also corresponds with a 40 year bull market in debt (private, corporate, government).  Which also aids the high multiples we have.  So makes sense that returns will be lower going forward, rates really can't go much lower (fed will always fight).

But 1% - GTFOH!     

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 09:11:09 AM »
The comment were interesting, I only clicked because it was a guest post on Get Rich slowly, the theme seemed to be why are you publishing something from the snake oil salesman.

Ha. "Syd" defends FS too much.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 11:13:59 AM »
I subscribe to the Get Rich Slowly RSS feed, and this article was posted today, authored by Financial Samurai

If Get Rich Slowly is posting Financial Samurai's clickbait articles, I would humbly recommend unsubscribing.

I was reading the comments on an earlier article and it looked like JD from GRS and FinSam may have had a little spat about something else. I figured running the FinSam post was an olive branch of sorts.

For what it is worth, GRS put caveats at the top and bottom of the post saying they disagreed with most the of the article but that they are committed to sharing different viewpoints occasionally.

I really love GRS because JD is such an imperfect FIREer and he is so honest about it. And he is always trying to be better but so open about being far from perfect. I find it to be one of the most human FIRE blogs.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 01:12:30 PM »
Not the caveat at the top was put there at the request of commenters - not everyone just knows "Sam Dogan = Financial Samurai" but lots of people know "Financial Samurai = not worth your time to read it".

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 03:52:28 PM »
Not the caveat at the top was put there at the request of commenters - not everyone just knows "Sam Dogan = Financial Samurai" but lots of people know "Financial Samurai = not worth your time to read it".
I'm one of those formerly-oblivious users.  It's only halfway through the article when he mentions FS that I started to wonder, although by that point he had already lost me.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 04:09:21 PM »
MY EYES! THEY BURN!

20x Gross Annual Income is even safer because then you can't fudge the budget?!?!

I have run calculations and informed my husband he needs to work another 12 years to accumulate the proper amount. He has informed me we need to get moving on estate planning. Not sure if that is for proper distribution of obscene amounts of money or because he is going to be killing me.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 06:35:27 PM »
https://www.getrichslowly.org/a-retraction/

Dang. That's pretty brutal.

And should be telling to any future readers of FS - he refuses to defend his own words or show his data.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 08:06:04 PM »

Dang. That's pretty brutal.

And should be telling to any future readers of FS - he refuses to defend his own words or show his data.

But GRS still included s link back

SpacemanSpiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 08:40:05 AM »

Has every mention of this been completely scrubbed from GRS now?  The link no longer works for me and I cannot find it on his site using the search function or google.

mckaylabaloney

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 09:36:54 AM »

Has every mention of this been completely scrubbed from GRS now?  The link no longer works for me and I cannot find it on his site using the search function or google.

You can still read it on the Wayback Machine, if nowhere else: https://web.archive.org/web/20210226223844/https://www.getrichslowly.org/a-retraction/

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 08:01:18 AM »
I'm still waiting for the day FS says 0% is the only SWR.  You know it is coming.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 10:38:04 AM »
I'm still waiting for the day FS says 0% is the only SWR.  You know it is coming.

Well your know, nominal TIPS yield is negative 2.5%, don't want to be risky so we should round to -5% as a safe withdrawal rate.