Author Topic: Father's Day Gift, I'll have to work another couple months  (Read 3258 times)

robtown

• Stubble
Father's Day Gift, I'll have to work another couple months
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:25:09 PM »
Five years ago I bought a thin(er)  DLP 65" HD TV for $1,000.   It's been working fine until a month ago.  After an hour or so it will think a new input is attached an go to a setup menu. 

For "Father's Day"  my wife and adult live-in son bought me a 65" 4K  LCD TV.   She also bought a 2.1 sound bar with wireless subwoofer.  The current AV system has a 5.1 system.     The price for TV is apparently over $2k.   To me,  an upgrade to 70" or 72" would make more sense.

Technically we are highly paid, and can afford the TV.    For many years we were a one income family,  and were relatively frugal.  Now,  I'm turning 60 this year,  and don't expect to retire until 63  (thanks stock market and wife hired financial planner that has gotten 0% growth for the last two years).    Whenever the big expenses, necessary or not hit  I keep thinking about that date being pushed out.

BTW - my TV usage is about 5% of the households.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
Re: Father's Day Gift, I'll have to work another couple months
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 06:00:05 PM »
Sounds like you need to ditch the financial planner ASAP.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 02:38:44 PM »
Some people like to give gifts to themselves, how else would your son get a new TV? With Ultra HD (4K) you'll need the top plan for Netflix (only $2 more than mid tier which is HD only) and possibly better internet speeds for the extra data, Netflix recommends 5.0 Mbps for HD and 25 Mbps for UHD. A 4K TV uses about 30% more electricity, an average American would see $25/year on a 55" TV (65 is worse).

"According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, UHD TVs use 30% more energy than normal HDTVs." http://time.com/money/4117972/uhdtv-4k-tv-best-deal-energy/

So you'll probably be out $50/year plus internet upgrade charges, on top of the $2000. I thought you could use some salt in the wound ;)

This year I asked for a hot cup of coffee in the morning and I want to swing in the hammock in the afternoon.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 02:53:36 PM »
Yeah you may want to find out where your money is going. I know absolutely nothing about the stock market, but by reading here and a few other sites, I have gotten 6.8% return over the last year.

I wouldn't even think about spending that kind of money on a TV, so I can't help you there.
I can only assume you have taken on great risk to get the 6.8%, as the SP500 returned -0.7% in 2015. SP500 YTD is only 1.3%.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:56:30 PM by chesebert »

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 06:50:30 PM »
I've moved half of the funds in my primary 401k  (about same as the Wells Fargo account)  and have distributed half of that into ETFs and one stock.  The results have helped bump the YTD to about 4%.   My target is 7% for the year.

I already have 75Mb/s FIOS.   In other news   I had gotten my cable/FIOS/landline cost lowered by $40.   When I was visiting my family earlier this month my son and spouse bumped up the service, tacking $30 back on.  That was to get 2 channels they missed.  One was already available in SD.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!