Author Topic: Fashion Blogger's Obnoxious 3 Week Shopping Spree  (Read 14853 times)

raquel_belch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fashion Blogger's Obnoxious 3 Week Shopping Spree
« on: December 20, 2014, 11:47:46 PM »
There is a fashion blogger I occasionally read just to remind myself of how toxic fashion culture is. She's 23 or 24 and was recently named a beauty editor at Buzzfeed. I assume she comes from money because I can't fathom how she affords her lifestyle otherwise.

Her obsession with luxury brands kills me, partially because she acts as if wearing these items makes her a more highly evolved human. Also, despite the huge amounts of time and money she pours into her wardrobe, she pretends her style isn't very deliberate, that it is some effortless and spontaneous expression of her inner being.

She recently went on a trip to Rome, Prague, Japan, and who knows where else, and it seems to have been a three week long shopping spree. I cant stop rolling my eyes at every update.

It was a really silly move for me to not travel without a piece of [luxury clothing brand] comme des garçons. I feel hollowed out.

If I buy these Rick Owens booties will the hollowness go away? Probably not but I will fashionably stomp my way thru the abyss right? One needs a distraction from the dark

I’m going to the Prada outlet tomorrow instead of the Picasso exhibit because I love myself

I bought a head to toe prada fit for less than the cost of a suit at topshop [about $200]. Basically, the entire world can lick my sweaty armpit right now

This is the jacket I bought at Comme des Garçons in Tokyo. I wasnt going to buy anything but my friend looked at me and reminded me my entire life revolves around this moment so i indulged. I had contemplated the coat in Milan a week before anyway and just went for it. Feels like home. I am wearing it with [relatively cheap] jeans and [ relatively cheap] heels. Lol.

Lol….. One of my 2k15 goals was to buy 5 new pieces of comme des garcons but on this trip I already bought four so….I have….to think bigger…..

I can’t believe this…I found my fucking holy grail junya watanabe jacket [a jacket that retails for at least $1000] I’ve stalked for three years….and I can’t buy it on my card by literally 10 dollars flat. 10 dollars!!!!!!!

I did not buy this Haider Ackerman jacket for like 85% off the other day [again, this would be at least $150 on sale] and I have many regrets. ... I will perhaps go back.

I’m at mt Fuji in head to toe yohji yamamoto and comme des garcons about to sit in a spa pool full of wine instead of water. What kind of luxury goals have I achieved tbh

I got tired of museums and churches two countries ago and admitted to myself my real church is consumerism so I’ve only been going to stores since then. Stores and temples. I have noticed that every store pretty much sells exactly the same five things. Everything in the world is exactly the same.

I’m selling half my closet soon as I get home tho. It’s ok I’m just not looking I’m okay with temporary denial

i haven’t been home for a week. i’m already booking flights for next year back to tokyo and london.

And the kicker, just posted today....
i got stood up today but now i'm in the bath reading up about 401k plans so basically I don't care because money will outlast all men
[/b]

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
Re: Fashion Blogger's Obnoxious 3 Week Shopping Spree
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 05:46:36 AM »
Hey now, maybe she's fully funding her 401k and saving over 50%?

LOL. And even if that were true, the damage she's doing to the general public is much worse.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »

I’m going to the Prada outlet tomorrow instead of the Picasso exhibit because I love myself

That's where my heart broke. 

LokiMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 12:29:15 PM »
As much as I'd like to think that this type of person is the exception, I cannot.  I work in the corporate offices of a national retailer.  I see many of our in-house clothing designers on a daily basis and the shallowness of the group, as a whole, just boggles my mind.  The other day one of them was showing off her $500.00  tee shirt.  A frickin tee shirt! Not a quality tee shirt either. (Not that they know the meaning of the word) The fabric was on par with Hanes or Fruit of The Loom.  Granted, it was in a different color and had a fancy designer label but it was just a plain tee shirt.

These people live and breathe fashion.  They can't tell you who their state senators are,  but they can rattle off high-dollar, designer's names like an auctioneer.  It's beyond sad.  The girl with the $500.00 tee shirt rents a two bedroom apartment with two other designers and, I kid you not, she sleeps in a walk in closet. All Because she can't afford to rent her own place in uptown (25 mile commute)  She wouldn't be caught dead living anywhere else. It has to be in that zip code but with a $500.00 tee shirt habit that isn't going to happen.

Another girl just had surgery on her foot to remove a nerve that had become chronically inflamed, because she won't give up her very high heels.  She had to have surgery because her dedication to fashion has damaged her body. 

It's not just women either.  The guys are every bit as bad though they tend to go for the $1200 ripped and faded jeans. 

Sometimes I think I'd have more in common with a space alien than I do with them. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
Never been more glad to not understand fashion.

Artemis67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 06:05:07 PM »
Oh, god--if I was as shallow and soulless as that blogger I think I'd end up killing myself eventually. I'd have to. She puts all those words together, but all I hear as I read them is a desolate, hollow clanging sound.

Once in a while, I find a copy of Vogue or Elle (or any other fashion/lifestyle/ladymag, really) lying around, and flip through it. And every time, I'm fascinated by it because it might as well be produced by and for beings from another planet--one I am not considered fit to visit, much less inhabit. But the dominant system of value is so freakish and inhuman there, I'm frankly okay with that.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 06:44:52 AM »
i kinda want to know which blogger you are talking about

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 07:53:13 AM »
The girl with the $500.00 tee shirt rents a two bedroom apartment with two other designers and, I kid you not, she sleeps in a walk in closet. All Because she can't afford to rent her own place in uptown (25 mile commute)  She wouldn't be caught dead living anywhere else. It has to be in that zip code but with a $500.00 tee shirt habit that isn't going to happen.

She is willing to commute 25 miles in ridiculous Dallas traffic because she thinks Uptown is that great?  Uptown is the epitome of Dallas' absurd love of status and valet parking.  Even with that you can rent a 1 bedroom place in Uptown for 1300-1800/month.  500 bucks for a tee shirt but can't afford to rent a bedroom?  That's an interesting way to prioritize. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 07:53:33 AM »

Basically every fashion blogger ever. 

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »
Ewwww, and they would all think I am horribly awful dresser Ha ha ha

raquel_belch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »

Her name is Arabelle Sicardi and this is her blog: www.arabellesicardi.com

Another choice quote from last night:
At what point do people get their clothing collection insured if they collect designer? Like I know that's a thing. I'm guessing past 100 pieces or something? I have stopped talking to fashion buyers and never bother to ask them.

And in response to a fan saying, "damn girl let me love you"
Love my Paypal perhaps

I think why she bothers me is that she has a very pseudo-intellectual approach to fashion and beauty. Her writing often through a feminist, social justice, and/or artistic lens and she frames her intense hair color and goth-y relaxed styling as a form of resistance against traditional beauty standards. She thinks she's better than the fashionista Sex and the City-wannabe mindlessly collecting Louboutin heels and Louis Vuitton purses, but she's not. She's just as driven by crass consumerism, classism, vulgar excess, and outright snobbery as the rest of them.

One day, she's going to look back at this image she so carefully cultivated and feel so embarrassed.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 11:10:12 AM »
At least she recognizes the importance of a 401k...

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »
She's young, there is still chance for her to find some deeper meaning to life than another overpriced pair of shoes.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 11:20:23 AM »
The girl with the $500.00 tee shirt rents a two bedroom apartment with two other designers and, I kid you not, she sleeps in a walk in closet. All Because she can't afford to rent her own place in uptown (25 mile commute)  She wouldn't be caught dead living anywhere else. It has to be in that zip code but with a $500.00 tee shirt habit that isn't going to happen.

She is willing to commute 25 miles in ridiculous Dallas traffic because she thinks Uptown is that great?  Uptown is the epitome of Dallas' absurd love of status and valet parking.  Even with that you can rent a 1 bedroom place in Uptown for 1300-1800/month.  500 bucks for a tee shirt but can't afford to rent a bedroom?  That's an interesting way to prioritize.

You would probably have to pay me 1300-1800 to agree to live in Uptown. That place is the epitome of antimustachianism in Texas.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »
It's not just women either.  The guys are every bit as bad though they tend to go for the $1200 ripped and faded jeans. 

While this woman is an extreme example, I say her attitude has diluted and distilled down to the more average woman much more than the extreme men's attitude can be seen in the average worker man.  I'm wearing jeans and a T shirt at the office.  I got to go up three boss levels until I see someone consistently wearing a tie.  Suits are almost unheard of.  There's no Men's Wearhouse or Jos. A. Banks let alone a Brooks Brothers here.  All the old timey photos had the majority of men wearing suits.  I occasionally wear a shirt and tie and that is so dressy to be noticeable.

With all the attempts to market to men, why isn't there a stronger push to get men to stop dressing like scrubs and get a wardrobe full of suits?  Then we have to pay for tailoring, dry cleaning, dry cleaning services, pocket silks, better shoes, argyle socks, more and more ties, tie tacks, tie bars, tie chains.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »

Yeah no kidding.  I hardly ever buy clothes at all, and when I do it's generally very utilitarian t-shirts and cargo pants.  I actually splurged and got some Dickies cargo shorts last year because they are made to genuine workman standards.  Sure enough, they have each been worn a zillion times (it's almost shorts weather year-round here) and look nearly new still.  Probably a third of all the clothes I own, excluding socks & boxers, are things I have gotten for free either as gifts or just because.  For me, clothes are just something to hold my keys, wallet, phone, and keep me from getting arrested for indecent exposure.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
I mean the funniest part is I see these pictures of her wearing all these expensive cloths...and she looks ridiculous.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »
Huh... I could not even read all the quotes. I had to stop after the one where she writes 2k15 instead of 2015... Who does that?

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 04:37:41 PM »
Huh... I could not even read all the quotes. I had to stop after the one where she writes 2k15 instead of 2015... Who does that?

Millenials. You know you are old when you don't understand their slang.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 05:24:07 AM »

Millenials. You know you are old when you don't understand their slang.

I am actually a millenial as well. I don't talk or write like that.

I can understand that y2k saves a bunch of characters but 2k15 is just.... huuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 06:49:40 AM »

You would probably have to pay me 1300-1800 to agree to live in Uptown. That place is the epitome of antimustachianism in Texas.

When I first moved to Dallas, I was encouraged to move to Uptown based on being in that young professional demographic  and working  downtown. After looking at a few places it felt obvious that I was not cool enough for Uptown. Even 3.5 years later, I still happily feel the same way.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
I hate fashion, but I'm aware that I am judged by the public based on it.  My strategy has been to read GQ at the library and then approximate the look of things with "name brands" at the outlet store.  It's worked pretty well so far.  I get a lot of compliments and nobody knows I spent pennies on the dollar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 03:54:02 PM »

That notation is one of my pet peeves... it's frequently used in electronics, but 2k15 is equivalent to 2150 not 2015.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 04:48:58 PM »

That notation is one of my pet peeves... it's frequently used in electronics, but 2k15 is equivalent to 2150 not 2015.
Also some video games, e.g. NBA 2k13.  Or maybe that's what you meant by electronics? 

Rappers utilize this notation as well.  Gives them an additional option when plotting syllables-per-line when they need to drop a year.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 04:58:18 PM »

Also some video games, e.g. NBA 2k13.  Or maybe that's what you meant by electronics? 

Rappers utilize this notation as well.  Gives them an additional option when plotting syllables-per-line when they need to drop a year.

2k13 should be 2130, though.  In electronics, they use that notation because the '.' gets lost on printed schematics, so 2k15 is shorthand for 2.15k.  Other variations could be 4M7 for 4 700 000 (4.7 Meg), or 2n2 for 0.0000000022 (2.2 nano).

LRM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »
This girl sounds absurd.

I am acquainted with several fashion bloggers from undergrad and graduate school. Most often, they get clothes/accessories/gift cards for FREE and consequently they promote the product. This works especially well for blog "giveaways." Girls will require one item from the company to give away, and one of the same item to keep for themselves in order to be featured on the fashion blog.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »
As much as I'd like to think that this type of person is the exception, I cannot.  I work in the corporate offices of a national retailer.  I see many of our in-house clothing designers on a daily basis and the shallowness of the group, as a whole, just boggles my mind.  The other day one of them was showing off her $500.00  tee shirt.  A frickin tee shirt! Not a quality tee shirt either. (Not that they know the meaning of the word) The fabric was on par with Hanes or Fruit of The Loom.  Granted, it was in a different color and had a fancy designer label but it was just a plain tee shirt.

These people live and breathe fashion.  They can't tell you who their state senators are,  but they can rattle off high-dollar, designer's names like an auctioneer.  It's beyond sad.  The girl with the $500.00 tee shirt rents a two bedroom apartment with two other designers and, I kid you not, she sleeps in a walk in closet. All Because she can't afford to rent her own place in uptown (25 mile commute)  She wouldn't be caught dead living anywhere else. It has to be in that zip code but with a $500.00 tee shirt habit that isn't going to happen.

Another girl just had surgery on her foot to remove a nerve that had become chronically inflamed, because she won't give up her very high heels.  She had to have surgery because her dedication to fashion has damaged her body. 

Sometimes I think I'd have more in common with a space alien than I do with them.

LOL to the space alien. I went through that a couple of years ago when I was still in my 20s. A childhood friend from 7th grade rekindled through FB. God, after I ended that relationship I realized why. We have NOTHING in common. She was a manager at Sergio Rossi (some high end sister company of Gucci) and drove over 25 miles from her condo to Miami. Gee, I wonder how much she makes.

She always posted pics on IG of herself eating out at overpriced MIA restaurants. Soon our friendship always involved me being invited to these ridiculously overpriced places that didn't taste great. I am a foodie. NOPE just mediocre. She used to text me a few times and say which pair of LouBoutins should she buy with her leftover money? $200 bathing suits, etc. Something didn't add up.

Fast forward and I later find out her condo was getting foreclosed on. That Lexus she's been driving around on a lease is repossessed and she is broker than broke. Sadly, I feel this is the norm in Miami. I'm sure it's like this in other areas, too, but it cries Miami wannabe Joneses... I had more in common with a turtle.

One time she said, "What if the shiney stuff makes you happy?" I'm thinking like man, this woman is hopeless if she thinks stuff can buy her happiness and can't even admit it doesn't.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:49:23 PM by MrsCoolCat »

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »

Yeah, really.

This is a lot like the wine connoisseur thing. 
a) you spend a lot of money learning to differentiate one wine from another (or one clothing designer from another, or one style from another)
b) now that you know the difference, you're stuck buying expensive wines (or clothing) for the rest of your life.

Meanwhile, the rest of us are saying "I really like my home made cranberry wine" or "my department store t-shirt (it has a skull on it!)"

Toque.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »
Beyond ridiculous. All I can say is thank God for Levi jeans and plain white tee shirts - Good enough for young Marlon Brando, good enough for me!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »

Yeah, really.

This is a lot like the wine connoisseur thing. 
a) you spend a lot of money learning to differentiate one wine from another (or one clothing designer from another, or one style from another)
b) now that you know the difference, you're stuck buying expensive wines (or clothing) for the rest of your life.

Yup, I am starting to enjoy wine but do make a good point to look for options that are $15 and under, and if I find a bottle I like, I make sure to jot it down so that I can get more later. This is for when I bring a bottle of wine to my friends place, I'm happy with bottled wine for myself (plus this way I don't have to worry about the wine going bad).

I do have a taste for nicer beers, and regret that I no longer can stomach drinking Bud Lite as it is significantly cheaper.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »
I like fashion, but not in the sense that I need to own particular brands. In other words, I buy what looks and feels good, but not necessarily based on what is on the label.  There is something to be said, however, for buying quality clothing that will last you awhile. I work in a professional environment and I cannot wear jeans and a t-shirt to work. I either wear a suit to work (if I'm meeting with the client) or business attire. I have to look put together.

Of course, you can look put together on a budget, but there is a difference between a skirt from the Gap and the same style skirt from a higher-end designer. It's not just the label--the quality of materials used is often a big difference. Higher-end materials fit better most of the time, last longer, and look better. While I can buy a pair of cheaper jeans and they'll last me for years, the same cannot be said for other types of clothing (like suits or dress shoes). The "cheap" version can mean you're replacing it after a year of use.

The key for me is buying a few higher-end pieces that are classic and won't go out of style. Then I accessorize that key piece with cheaper items.  For example, skirts and pants are difficult to buy for my body type, and cheap skirts and pants tend to be ill-fitting and made of thin material that show every flaw (except jeans). I'll buy a higher-end skirt or pant and then pair that with a cheaper blouse (because it's easy for me to find tops that fit, and there's less of a quality gap between higher- and lower-end tops than there is with bottoms). Cheap shoes tend to be uncomfortable, but you don't need to spend a ton to get to "comfortable" shoes--mid-level shoes are fine (Easy Spirit is great for comfortable dress shoes).

I wish I could wear jeans and a t-shirt every day (and I will when I retire). 

Strabo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »

The game publisher is called 2K Games, and it's supposed to be a play on that name in this case. No idea about why anyone would write 2k15 in normal context though. And I'm supposed to be on the top end of the ill-defined Millennial age group.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »
One thing to remember about fashion bloggers is that often get much of their wardrobe provided free, in exchange for the advertising that comes from the pieces being featured on the blog.

I am in no way defending her attitude.  But OP mentioned that she must come from money in order to be able to afford those things, when chances are great she doesn't afford those things.  She doesn't wear clothes as simple body coverings or fashion choices, like the rest of us.  They are a business to her. 

TinyLightsBelow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 10:32:01 AM »
The thing that really confuses me is that her tumblr and blog are filled with feminism... I may be wrong about this, but my gut instinct is, how can you POSSIBLY be a feminist and support designer fashion? It is literally designed around the idea of the female body as either ornamentation or a blank canvas. I just... I don't get that. I've seen some feminists who are still into fashion and upcycle/combine items from thrift stores, but I think that's worlds apart from buying and flaunting designer clothing (while also claiming you're somehow really down to earth while doing it, like her barf-worthy comments about making it look like Hot Topic).

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
There was an article last month (I think) in the Wall Street Journal about how stores and designers are using bloggers more and more to promote their lines, with bloggers getting a cut of the sales

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-style-bloggers-earn-sales-commissions-one-click-at-a-time-1423693911?KEYWORDS=bloggers
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:29:36 AM by Khaetra »

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 11:30:19 AM »
I assume she comes from money because I can't fathom how she affords her lifestyle otherwise.

I think you might have been trolled.

I bet that she either gets her fashion for free in exchange for the publicity, or she has realized (much like MMM did) that projecting an outsized and outlandish persona onto the Internet is a way to gain followers, and in today's writing economy, a base of followers is the key to securing a job and income (so buying expensive shit to convincingly build that persona might just be the "cost of doing business"). Likely some combination of the two.

Two months before you posted this, she wrote about the best personal-finance column you're ever likely to see in a mainstream magazine. She freakin' recommended YNAB!

http://www.teenvogue.com/my-life/2014-10/personal-finance-at-college

- Track your expenses, so you can see your spending trends.
- Understand (and apply!) the difference between "wants" and "needs."
- Look to campus resources to help you make and save money.
- Cultivate (positive bank account) balance.
- Figure out the ways you can make money that won't interfere with your school work.

Sure, it sucks that the persona she has created is pretty anti-Mustachian, but she herself probably isn't nearly as bad as you think.