Author Topic: Facepunch? Roadside assistance.....  (Read 15104 times)

MMMdude

• Bristles
Facepunch? Roadside assistance.....
« on: January 29, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »
Should I face punch myself?  Woke up to yet another flat on my car (5th in about three years with this "high end" tire brand) and said screw it, I'm renewing my roadside membership which expired several years ago.  Here it's $100 for renewal.  I could of course change my own flat tire and have done so many times but it's cold out and ground is extremely dirty and I just don't want to deal with it and with a 14 year old car it does make some sense to renew the membership at this time.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Facepunch? Roadside assistance.....
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »
I always carry a pair of mechanic coveralls and shoes so that if I am wearing something nice or it is nasty out I can change the tire. Mine was free from my dad but probably will cost you under $20.

I am a lady too so here's a facepunch to you dude :)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:32:49 PM »
I used to think I could handle all of my flat tire situations myself, until the day I had two flats at the same time. :)

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:06:03 PM »
Run out of gas on purpose to get the free gallons if they offer it.  Get your money's worth!  Have your car towed somewhere for fun!

My boyfriend's family all has AAA gold, but they typically use the free tows to get "project" cars and trucks to the property.

Me?  I got a call from my insurance company about an offer for roadside assistance, and I felt MMM channeling through me when I said "just based on how often I've needed a tow, jump, tire change, or gas in my driving history, it doesn't make financial sense for me to pay for this service."

On the flip side, if you decide to go back to changing your own tires, those 3mil contractor trash bags make a good ground cover so you don't get as dirty.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 05:25:13 PM »
I had AAA for a long time, and then I found that instead I could pay 0.67/mo to my insurance company for roadside assistance.  I'm not worried about changing a tire or jumping the car (carry my own cables and never had a problem finding someone else to help), but towing is expensive. 

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 05:55:36 PM »
My local automobile club's slogan is "wouldn't be without it", and I wouldn't. It's under $100 here, but given that includes flat tires (I can't physically change them if they've been attached with air-powered tools, and know of too many fatalities of people changing tires beside busy roads), unlocks, tows, jump starts, inexpensive batteries, enough fuel to get to a petrol station, etc, it's a very worthwhile form of insurance. The one I've used most.

Plus they have cheap travel, movie tickets, etc for members, cash back at certain restaurants, and discounts if you insure through them as well.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:23:09 PM »
Damn I guess the follow through can hit me in the face as well.

We've been on CAA (Canadian version of AAA) for years.  I have to say they have saved our butt a few times... one time it was about a 100km tow (which would cost a fortune).  And countless times me being absent minded leaving the headlights on a such... needing a boost.

I think we'll still keep it for awhile with a 3 and 1 yr old.  Breaks down to like $10-12 per month which isn't too bad.  We do both have long commutes to work so it's also nice knowing they are a call away if something happens.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:29:04 PM by sleepyguy »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »
Depends on where you drive / service levels.

$100 and a tow truck number in your wallet + cell phone = AAA service. without the upfront cost.   Tow truck service for me has cost $50, $60 and $80... (larger amount for a longer tow to shop when the computer died).  the big issue is figuring out the number to call.

Actually it might be better than AAA as you can call a few companies if you don't like the wait times from your first contact.

AAA did have a replace your battery on location when it fails -- sort of deal with very good battery prices...

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 01:56:35 AM »
A couple of years ago I had a gearbox fail in the middle of nowhere (out of mobile phone range). Ended up driving a bad gearbox 260km in 2nd and 3rd gear (the others weren't working), then was towed 370km by roadside assist, who also paid for a motel for 3 days (while they organised for the tow), and for a hire car for a week. I reckon I've got back a lifetime's worth of roadside assist in just the one problem.

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 02:34:04 AM »
more than happy to keep roadside assistance as it makes me much happier to drive a cheaper, older car. If the initial car purchase is thousands cheaper, then under $100 a year (about $60 for me) is easily worth it to me.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 06:11:47 AM »
Ours is included in our car insurance. This has been the case twice now, and both companies were the absolute cheapest. Safeco and now Costco.

My new car (still own it 13 years later!) came with 7 years of roadside assistance through Honda. As a dumb 20 year old her locked her keys in and left her lights on about 3 times a year, I would have definitely gotten 100$ a year worth! I also got in a minor fender bender and they towed it 100 miles back to where I lived.

Long story short I would probably buy it for a teenage driver because they are dumb.

UKMatt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 07:22:24 AM »
We get pretty cheap cover through our insurance. I have used them many, many times over the years, including a tow all the way back from the North of Scotland to the South of England (about 500 miles) where we live, when the clutch failed on an old car, just an hour or so into our journey home. The savings from having breakdown just in that instance probably payed for a few years worth of cover. Tow companies charge a fortune in the UK and the nearest town with a mechanic was a pretty posh one and the work and accommodation we'd have needed, plus the day's work we'd have both missed, would have been pretty costly. Probably less justifiable now, that we both have fairly modern cars, but if I ever needed them and didn't have cover, I'd seriously regret it. Whenever I do breakdown, it seems to be dark, raining and miles from home!

Wouldn't bother calling them for a flat tyre though. The time they take to arrive, I could easily have changed it myself and be at a garage getting a new one. Plus, I'd just feel like a massive idiot for getting someone else out to do such an easy job.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 10:40:13 AM »
I've got roadside assistance for a couple bucks per month through my insurance company. I wouldn't bother using it for something as trivial as a flat tire (I'd change that myself just because I wouldn't have the patience to wait for the tow truck!), but it's really handy when you drive old cars. I've gotten tows probably at least one a year for things like the clutch breaking (literally, into chunks!), the timing belt breaking, etc.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 12:33:23 PM »
I've almost always had AAA. We're not as mustacian as some others, but I'm pretty sure every year I've had it that I've gotten my money's worth out of it. A single tow will typically cost just shy of what the yearly membership costs, and their travel agent was able to get our honeymoon cruise last year arranged for a savings of several times our membership cost vs. what we'd been able to find on our own. The towing is great for someone with project cars- lets you buy something non-running in town and have it towed home for far less than it would to call up the towing company.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »
Never bother having it with the cars, but we do a lot of RVing, and there is no way I would be without it for the camper. I had an alternator puke on a truck, in the middle of nowhere in MN. The Assistance company spent two hours finding a competent towing co. and they towed the truck and the travel trailer to a repair shop at midnight, on a Saturday.  The coverage was part of the trailer policy and ran $34/ yr. The towing was totally free. Since we have done several trips to the Yukon and Alaska, I called the company and asked exactly how far their "no cost" towing stretches when you need help 300 miles from the closest city in the great white north? They told me not to worry about it, since they have experience with those kinds of issues and the multi-thousand dollar bills they generate. The agent told me that they had hauled a rig hundreds of miles south to Fairbanks, after it was damaged on the "haul road" that heads to the arctic ocean and Deadhorse. The tab was roughly $4500, it didn't cost the RV owner a dime.

leherself

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
I've got it through my insurance as well.  Adds $8 to my six month premium, so $16 a year.  I live in Alaska, and towing is outlandishly expensive here (and you figure you always need it at the worst possible time, right?).  If I'm in the middle of a town, and need to be hauled a couple blocks?  Probably $200.  If I'm not in the middle of town?  No way of guessing.

Over the course of my life I've probably averaged at least $100 worth of roadside assistance a year (significantly more some years, none others, but averaged out), so I consider it more than justified.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
I have Allstate RV Roadhelp.  It covers motorcycles.  It covers every vehicle I own, any vehicle I'm riding in and there is no limit on towing (most auto policy add ons limit to 35-50 miles).  Towing is expensive.

It covers MOTORCYCLES.  Reading the above post about a tow on the Haul Road I specifically asked about "where" I'm covered (as I rode my M/C to the haul road).  I'm covered on every legal road surface in North America.  Period.

It covers motorcycles.

Drink too much:  have your car towed home.  Much less expensive than a DUI :)  Get a flat in the pouring rain on the interstate:  have some one else do the work.

I'm very frugal (others call me cheap) but good insurance is a necessity.  YMMV

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 12:26:17 PM »
I'm covered on every legal road surface in North America.

Even forest service roads?

I'll have to check my coverage on that... it might be useful to know before I take my old truck off-roading!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 12:52:58 PM »
I often drive places where you might see one car every half hour... during the day, and none at night.

Fuck yeah I have roadside assistance.

If only I also had, you know, cell phone reception in those areas.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »
I'm covered on every legal road surface in North America.

Even forest service roads?

I'll have to check my coverage on that... it might be useful to know before I take my old truck off-roading!

I don't know the answer (but you can call the company and find out).  I don't know if a forest service road is a "legal" road (but I know the Dalton Highway (Haul road) is as is the Top of the World Highway.  I would imagine if it has a number and is subject to traffic regulations, it would be a legal road.

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 08:58:39 PM »
My local automobile club's slogan is "wouldn't be without it", and I wouldn't. It's under $100 here, but given that includes flat tires (I can't physically change them if they've been attached with air-powered tools, and know of too many fatalities of people changing tires beside busy roads), unlocks, tows, jump starts, inexpensive batteries, enough fuel to get to a petrol station, etc, it's a very worthwhile form of insurance. The one I've used most.

Plus they have cheap travel, movie tickets, etc for members, cash back at certain restaurants, and discounts if you insure through them as well.

RACQ???

My husband (then fiancee) was driving home 5 days before our wedding and his car died nearly an hour from the nearest town. The roadside assistance towed the car straight to the wrecker (car was beyond redemption) and his mother and I dropped everything and collected him(two hour round trip). I am sure he figures the cost of his roadside assistance well spent for not having to ask us to deal with a five hour round trip only to then have to arrange a tow anyway (more time wasted) just days before the wedding. If he had been 16 km (10miles) further from home they would have delivered him and the car right to the front door.

We have most of our insurances through the same company and with my loyalty level the discounts we get on the insurance is more than our annual membership.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 10:34:44 PM »
Drink too much:  have your car towed home.  Much less expensive than a DUI :)

I've never thought about using it that way, and never needed to yet, but now I'm never giving up AAA! 

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 02:13:37 AM »
I decided to give up my aaa membership. 77 a year for 2 - not used for 10 years.

2 months later the car broke down and I needed a tow.

99 bucks.

carma.

I've renewed my membership.

KithKanan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »
For my particular demographics and insurance needs, the local AAA has always come in so much cheaper than every other insurance company quote I've requested that even after adding my AAA Membership cost in as an insurance cost, it's still a better deal (not true of AAA everywhere -- I bought this policy in the first place because as a new driver it was cheaper for me to be on my own policy with this AAA than to be added to my parents' policy with the AAA covering the other half of the state).

Combine that with driving a 20 year old car with 225K miles on it that needs a tow once every couple years or so, and it's been well worth keeping.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:46:04 PM by KithKanan »

whydavid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 05:56:23 PM »
I decided to give up my aaa membership. 77 a year for 2 - not used for 10 years.

2 months later the car broke down and I needed a tow.

99 bucks.

carma.

I've renewed my membership.

So your actual towing costs were $10/yr over a ten year span, and that led you to believe it was worth it to pay $77/yr.  Recency bias?

lavidaportland

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 07:57:24 AM »
I pay a couple dollars a month for roadside assistance through my insurance, but I would only use it for big issues like towing my car.

I keep a tarp and work gloves in my trunk so I can change a flat without getting dirty. I bought a jump pack so I can jump start my car if needed after I left the map light on at the airport parking all week... and came back to a dead battery at 1am in 12 deg F weather without a warm jacket.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »
Should I face punch myself?  Woke up to yet another flat on my car (5th in about three years with this "high end" tire brand) and said screw it, I'm renewing my roadside membership which expired several years ago.  Here it's $100 for renewal.  I could of course change my own flat tire and have done so many times but it's cold out and ground is extremely dirty and I just don't want to deal with it and with a 14 year old car it does make some sense to renew the membership at this time.

I change my own flat tires, but still manage to have sufficient breakdowns at really inconvenient times and locations that I keep my membership.  It's the 2am major mechanical breakdowns 100 miles from home, in a place where you have no idea who to call, that make it worthwhile...

lr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 03:10:46 PM »
AAA has been criticized for opposing fuel efficiency, public transportation, and open spaces that compete with more roads.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Automobile_Association#Criticism

Since AAA is basically just an insurance company that hires out independent tow trucks, there are lots of alternatives. Cell phone companies, insurance companies, car manufacturers, and pro-environment clubs now offer basically the same policies.

So shop around.

El Marinero

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »
Towing insurance from your auto insurance company is probably much cheaper than AAA.  I pay $12 a year through State Farm.

I appreciated that they covered the outrageous towing and storage charge when my car got stolen several years ago, without any drama.

However, If your car is in good shape, you can change a flat or jump-start a dead battery and have a few extra bucks in an emergency fund, it probably makes sense to self-insure for towing.  How big can can the bill be?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »
it probably makes sense to self-insure for towing.  How big can can the bill be?
Thousands of dollars. I had a five hour tow when I broke down - after driving for several more hours with a broken gear box (patched)  from where I actually broke down.

El Marinero

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 02:56:35 PM »
it probably makes sense to self-insure for towing.  How big can can the bill be?
Thousands of dollars. I had a five hour tow when I broke down - after driving for several more hours with a broken gear box (patched)  from where I actually broke down.

The tow was more than two thousand dollars?  That sounds a bit high, even for 5 hours work.   

I broke down on a ski trip once, and had a 90 mile tow, costing me a quite a bit out of pocket, as it was more then my AAA membership covered.  I didn't renew after that

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 04:51:17 PM »

The tow was more than two thousand dollars?  That sounds a bit high, even for 5 hours work.   

I broke down on a ski trip once, and had a 90 mile tow, costing me a quite a bit out of pocket, as it was more then my AAA membership covered.  I didn't renew after that
Remember he had to get back to base, so it was 10 hours. He was based in the middle of nowhere, no cell phone coverage, very expensive fuel... It was covered by my membership, but it was more than $2000.

Dodge

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 07:38:45 PM »

Remember he had to get back to base, so it was 10 hours. He was based in the middle of nowhere, no cell phone coverage, very expensive fuel... It was covered by my membership, but it was more than $2000.

I like to keep MrMoneyMustache's Insurance: A Tax on People who are Bad at Math? article in mind when deciding if this stuff is worth it.  Do you have $2,000 tow bills more than once every 10 years?  Then maybe it's worth it:

But if the risk never shows up, and we get the same stock market return we got over the last 30 years, the opportunity cost is quite high:

$46,853.92

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 10:24:26 AM »
I am with Dodge on this.

How do the road side assistance programs make their money then?

If it's only 100$/year and a tow is 100$ or more and (based on posters) most clients use their tows each year it does not jive?!

Either people over estimate how often they use the service or the service is hemorrhaging money and will not survive.

I personally don't pay for roadside assistance. We have a relatively new car and don't expect to have any mechanical problems for quite a while yet.

I change and plug my own flats.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:26:14 AM by Guses »

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 06:26:54 AM »
Run out of gas on purpose to get the free gallons if they offer it.  Get your money's worth!  Have your car towed somewhere for fun!

Get drunk at the pub and need a ride home for yourself and your vehicle? Call AAA for a tow!!!
Student in my town seriously did this all the time. As in the tow truck operator was like "do you actually need me to chain it all up or can you drive it up the ramp" ha ha ha. He didn't care as AAA paid him either way.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »
I had AAA for a long time, and then I found that instead I could pay 0.67/mo to my insurance company for roadside assistance.  I'm not worried about changing a tire or jumping the car (carry my own cables and never had a problem finding someone else to help), but towing is expensive.

Me too. It's shockingly cheap. AAA is way overpriced.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 06:06:51 PM »
One consideration on roadside assistance as part of car insurance (cheaper) vs. AAA (more expensive):

Using roadside assistance through an insurance policy may (or may not, depending on your insurer) be considered as a claim for purposes of your premium.  Using a standalone AAA membership, which has no connection to your insurance policy, cannot have that effect.

I have AAA.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 04:51:11 AM »
AAA - so if I'm travelling then I have the peace of mind that if my wife is out in the car and something goes wrong then all she has to do is call one number and is gets solved. Even if it isn't her car.  What price peace of mind? for me and her?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 05:12:23 AM »
We used to get CAA - and when we did our strategy was to just cash in on the membership retention offers. About a year after your membership expires, they send you out an 'amazing offer' of 6 months free, or half price. We would sign on in my wife's name for year 1, and then in my name for year 2. by switching, we could keep on getting the membership for half price.

Now though, it seems like everyone is offering roadside, so CAA isn't worth the money. It comes with new tires, new cars, and insurance. We don't travel enough to use the maps and discounts - but even if we did there are better deals to be had online for both than CAA can offer.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 09:27:01 AM »
AAA - so if I'm travelling then I have the peace of mind that if my wife is out in the car and something goes wrong then all she has to do is call one number and is gets solved. Even if it isn't her car.  What price peace of mind? for me and her?

This.  Yeah, if my car tire blows or my battery dies outside of East Goatpoo, GA, I can probably go online, find the number of some local garage that may or may not be open and that may or may not be willing to come out, then I can maybe negotiate a price between him and his competitor from West Goatpoo.  If I mess around long enough, I can probably save money over the cost of AAA. 

Or I can call one number and be done with it and back on the road quickly, with no hassles.

I'm frugal, but some things are not worth screwing around with.  If I'm going to be frugal, better to have lower thread count sheets (no real downside to that) to trying to scrimp in this situation that can be extremely aggravating and possibly even dangerous.

And btw, we pay far less than $100 per year for AAA, and that includes both of us.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »
One consideration on roadside assistance as part of car insurance (cheaper) vs. AAA (more expensive):

Using roadside assistance through an insurance policy may (or may not, depending on your insurer) be considered as a claim for purposes of your premium.  Using a standalone AAA membership, which has no connection to your insurance policy, cannot have that effect.

I have AAA.

My state farm policy doesn't consider it a claim. You'd need to check on your policy specifically.

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35:45 AM »
I was recently getting ready to renew my AAA membership.    My 29 yr old son is living with us now and I wanted him covered as well.  My wife can be on my membership, for an extra cost,  but I couldn't add my son!   He would have to join separately at full cost.  I said screw that and signed up for road service coverage on my Auto insurance policy (as others have mentioned already).   This coverage covers each CAR, no matter who is driving it,   while the AAA service covers an individual DRIVER, no matter what you are driving.   

bostonjim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2015, 07:10:59 AM »
Get ready to punch me in the face...

So I didn't see the need for AAA - I can change my own damn tire!

Was driving along, a massive lag bolt was lying on the road and found it's way into my right rear tire - boom!  I hop out, jack up the car, take off the lug nuts - and the wheel won't come off.  I mean, the thing is stuck!  I'm pulling and yanking, and the wheel is just corroded directly to the axle. So I finally had to give up and call a tow truck, and he had to use a board and sledge hammer to get the damn thing off.  Paid $60 for the service.

Why is this so facepunch worthy, you might ask?  Well, the next time I was renewing my car insurance, I saw a line item at the bottom - yep, you guessed it - I'd been paying for roadside assistance all along, and didn't realize it!

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »

That is terrible advice.  Your fuel pump uses gasoline as a coolant and lubricant.  Running it dry can damage the fuel pump, seizing it up.  Much more expensive than buying gas.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
It's also sarcasm, guitar :)

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2015, 12:02:20 PM »
Have your car towed somewhere for fun!

I knew of a guy in the small town I'm from who would call a tow truck after a night out drinking. There was no taxi service available and he didn't have to go pick up his car the next day.

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »
^^ Guess it's not that uncommon. I was little late to this party and didn't bother reading the other replies first.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »
I get it for free with my credit card and my insurance regardless of whether I want it or not.  Has come in handy before.

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
It's also sarcasm, guitar :)

Sarcasm doesn't translate well on text media unless you include the </sarcasm> tag.  :P

I have heard of people advocating that (the same people that run their cars at 1/4 tank or less routinely) so it makes me squirm when I see that. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
Written sarcasm is so hard to detect!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!