Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321331 times)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
I am ready for the ultimate facepunch.  I have been getting a venti 2-pump toffee nut mocha from starbucks everyday for a year.  I finally ordered an electric tea kettle, travel mug and tea from Amazon for less than 1 week of Starbucks.

I WANT to facepunch, but you appear to have already had the realization that a facepunch delivers.  PLEASE: follow up after a week or two or ten and tell us how you are doing with the tea kettle, travel mug and tea.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2015, 09:29:20 AM »
I am ready for the ultimate facepunch.  I have been getting a venti 2-pump toffee nut mocha from starbucks everyday for a year.  I finally ordered an electric tea kettle, travel mug and tea from Amazon for less than 1 week of Starbucks.

Good god, I do not want to know what your insulin sensitivty looks like! If nothing else, give it up for your health!

But kudos on making this change. Stick with it 30 days, and it will get a LOT easier. (Actually, that would be a great gauntlet thread- I know there are several people trying to give up the "latte factor" right now!)

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2015, 11:03:29 AM »

Good god, I do not want to know what your insulin sensitivty looks like! If nothing else, give it up for your health!

But kudos on making this change. Stick with it 30 days, and it will get a LOT easier. (Actually, that would be a great gauntlet thread- I know there are several people trying to give up the "latte factor" right now!)

Way to make a change Allison!  I'm not sure if you're already a tea drinker or not, but when I was trying to acclimate myself I started with chai (complete with milk and honey in it) before moving to Lady Grey, and the likes (with no additives). 

Petuniajo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »

No joke, I was *just* coming on to post that I committed the ultimate mustachian sin: I drove myself to Starbucks and spent $10 (10 f-ing dollars!) on a latte and a fruit/cheese/nut box today. Thank you for our honesty, because now I'm only going to give myself a little facepalm rather than a full-on face punch :)

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #304 on: November 09, 2015, 08:31:20 AM »

Way to make a change Allison!  I'm not sure if you're already a tea drinker or not, but when I was trying to acclimate myself I started with chai (complete with milk and honey in it) before moving to Lady Grey, and the likes (with no additives).

Today was my first day of no Starbucks....it was hard.  It took the fancy electric tea kettle 5! minutes to heat up and I put too much coffee mix in.  But I think I can do it with no problems. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #305 on: November 09, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »
There have been at least four people (to my knowledge) killed or severely injured right by the Starbucks nearest my office in the past few weeks. Makes it a lot easier to avoid that particular temptation, although I can't really recommend it as a money-saving device... :-/

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #306 on: November 13, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »
I ate subway for lunch yesterday because I needed to get away from work. I had brought a lunch with me.
I also spend about $40 every Tuesday on "family time" with my wife and father-in-law. Still trying to find a way out of that one without hurting any feelings or looking cheap.

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #307 on: November 30, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
Today was my first day of no Starbucks....it was hard.  It took the fancy electric tea kettle 5! minutes to heat up and I put too much coffee mix in.  But I think I can do it with no problems.

Hey, hi, howzit? We're not properly introduced, but I too am a daily Starbucks-er. I agree that it's a shop of pure delight. But, er, good job staying away. Because, yes! This post is about support and praise. Congratulations, and be strong! You can do it. (take me with you!)

Take away my face punch please!  I have used my electric kettle and coffee mug to bring coffee for 2ish weeks now.  And I like it better than Starbucks!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »
Window shopping for jewels on Etsy. Didn't buy anything again, but want, want want.
Why do I keep wanting something as pointless and expensive as jewels?!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #309 on: December 17, 2015, 08:24:04 AM »
Who doesn't like pretty sparkly things?  I deal with this by beading as a hobby. I get my beads from thrift shops, garage sales and bargain tables, and my findings from EBay. Done this way, it's an inexpensive way to get pretty jewelry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #310 on: December 21, 2015, 11:31:37 AM »
I paid full price for two cookbooks for myself and my brother called the Thug Kitchen.  I also ate out Saturday.  Please facepunch me....

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #311 on: December 21, 2015, 04:48:22 PM »
I paid full price for two cookbooks for myself and my brother called the Thug Kitchen.  I also ate out Saturday.  Please facepunch me....

I can't facepunch you on that because their motto is "Eat like you give a fuck". That's about as mustashian as it gets...now, you've spent the dough on the book, you gotta do two things:

1) Get your money's worth out of the book by USING IT AT HOME.
2) Tell us if you're cooking with it and how much money you've saved. I mean, that's why you bought it, right?

Well, the eating out, was it at-least "cheap and good"? Bring on the eating-out pr0n.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #312 on: December 22, 2015, 04:23:05 AM »
Christmas presents. Just..... Ugh. My partner is so generous and makes much more than I do (though I always ask for us to stick to a reasonable budget), that I feel awful if I don't reciprocate to the same level. Just counted, and there are 10 presents under the tree for me from him (I feel like Dudley Dursley- more presents, more!!!!). I'd be happy with one each, $50 limit- ive suggested this each year, to no avail. Now I feel like I should go and buy him more to reciprocate (I've spent more than I could really afford On him already). Sigh. First world whines!!! I'll face punch myself...

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: December 22, 2015, 07:10:16 AM »
we went to a small place in Virginia called Tony's NY Style pizza.  They also have killer pasta it is a little pricey but worth it.  I got 2 slices of Sicilian with my favorite toppings.  I usually only indulge there when celebrating something. 

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: December 22, 2015, 07:18:09 AM »

No face punches from me since I'm thinking of buying it myself. I love the recipes on the website. Is love to here if the recipes in the book are equally awesome.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #315 on: December 22, 2015, 12:03:25 PM »
Plus I figured with my son's diet issues he can safely eat some of the recipes in it as well.  I am looking forward to breaking it in.  I confess I got 20% off the books by renewing my B&N membership.  Now to repent until the next payday.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2015, 09:55:14 AM »
DW and I received gift cards over the holidays for fine dining.  We ate, drank, and were merry.  Total bill:  $150 OVER the amount of our gift card! 

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2015, 03:28:34 PM »
First 'restaurant' meal since mid-October.  Stopped and got Domino's on the way home with the kids.  $9. 

smella

• Stubble
« Reply #318 on: December 31, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »
I have kept my Christmas Lights (1 string) on all month! :-O

crispy

« Reply #319 on: January 03, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »
I just booked my youngest daughter a birthday party at the American Girl store.  It's kind of ridiculous, but she will love it.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #320 on: January 03, 2016, 08:00:54 PM »
While attempting to clean my dishwasher, I both disabled it (been hand-washing for days) and also destroyed an $18 nut. (Replacement on the way from Amazon.)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #321 on: January 04, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
Just after Christmas I bought a heavily (~20%) discounted gift card on Raise.com. Felt great about getting a deal on something I would buy anyway. Now I seem to have lost the gift card. :-(  I think I might have accidentally recycled it with the envelope it came in when I was hurriedly cleaning up for company.

Ugh.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #322 on: February 11, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
I've been holding a carbon bike frame for a couple of years after snagging it on Craigslist for $300 (new value, $700 or so) and have been waffling ever since then over building it up or just trying to get my money back.

I had planned on getting no tax refund this year, but due to some surprises I hadn't factored in, it's like $4K (fed+state). Do I get a facepunch if I finally drop the several hundred my bike pro friends tell me will be requird to do this frame justice?

I know I'll ride a lot more if I do it... that much I know.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #323 on: February 18, 2016, 02:12:30 PM »
$1k of the gutters is the leafguard.  I have about ten feet of run that is so high my ladder won't reach - and I have a thing about heights and getting on the roof, so I just don't clean those.  Once I decided to get the leafguard there, it seemed easiest to just get the whole thing.  This is where spending gets out of control - when you start going "Well considering how much I'm ALREADY spending, what the heck?" 

Wha?!? You can buy the leaf guards and DIY for much cheaper.

Something like this doesn't even take skill:
 http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?p=58799&cat=2,42194,33169&ap=1

Though I do wonder if used artificial Christmas tree branches would work.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #324 on: February 18, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »
Sitting in an airport with a longer than usual layover*. First flight was in to the U.S., so really limited in what food I could bring, but I brought cheese n nuts. That should have been enough, but apparently I'm weak today.  I really enjoyed that burger n drink. I must have 'cause I spent $25 on it.

* autocorrect wanted to correct that to "flay over". I wanted to let it.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #325 on: February 18, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
Sitting in an airport with a longer than usual layover*. First flight was in to the U.S., so really limited in what food I could bring, but I brought cheese n nuts. That should have been enough, but apparently I'm weak today.  I really enjoyed that burger n drink. I must have 'cause I spent $25 on it.

* autocorrect wanted to correct that to "flay over". I wanted to let it.
The two pretty much feel the same to me.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #326 on: February 18, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »
$1k of the gutters is the leafguard.  I have about ten feet of run that is so high my ladder won't reach - and I have a thing about heights and getting on the roof, so I just don't clean those.  Once I decided to get the leafguard there, it seemed easiest to just get the whole thing.  This is where spending gets out of control - when you start going "Well considering how much I'm ALREADY spending, what the heck?" 

Do you know if these would work to keep pine needles out of gutters?  I have a giant pine tree that makes a huge mess in my gutters, but not a lot of deciduous leaves. 

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #327 on: February 19, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »

Do you know if these would work to keep pine needles out of gutters?  I have a giant pine tree that makes a huge mess in my gutters, but not a lot of deciduous leaves. 

Probably not.  My grandmother had something similar and tree seeds would get between them and start growing.  The new saplings would catch other stuff.  In the end, I think the product she had was more of a problem than just cleaning the gutters regularly.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #328 on: February 19, 2016, 10:50:48 AM »

Probably not.  My grandmother had something similar and tree seeds would get between them and start growing.  The new saplings would catch other stuff.  In the end, I think the product she had was more of a problem than just cleaning the gutters regularly.

Boo.  oh well.  I guess we'll just keep crawling around on the roof a few times a year then. 

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #329 on: February 19, 2016, 10:58:06 AM »
I got a speeding ticket. $168! I was lost and trying to figure out where I was and not watching the speed limit.

In retrospect, Boulder's Baseline Road is a super-obvious speed trap.

Turned right at an intersection, but did not come to a complete stop at the red light.

I've been driving for almost 20 years and have never gotten a ticket.

$498USD + $60 traffic school + many hours of cutting and pasting the answers before taking the test.

Oh, the pain.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #330 on: February 19, 2016, 11:53:42 AM »
So she just had to introduce roof rabbits to eat the saplings, then roof foxes to eat the rabbits, then roof wolves to eat the foxes .....
I thing there is a nursery rhyme describing the entire process

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #331 on: February 19, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
I lost my bike... I parked it at the train station but I forgot where exactly. As you can see on the picture (not taken by me, but of the place where I park normally), it's not easy to find it again if you don't make a mental note.

Anyway, I was tired after work, didn't feel like searching so I took a bus for 3 euro. I'll need to take another bus tomorrow (another 3 euro) to search for my bike.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #332 on: February 19, 2016, 12:58:55 PM »
Oh man, reminds me of Copenhagen.  Definitely not a problem on the rare days I bike to work here in NYC.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #333 on: February 25, 2016, 10:49:27 AM »
I forgot my lunch today and had to go out to eat at work.  I also bought 2 new tops and books at a really good Salvation Army.  Please facepunch me....

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #334 on: February 25, 2016, 09:01:49 PM »
I lost my bike... I parked it at the train station but I forgot where exactly. As you can see on the picture (not taken by me, but of the place where I park normally), it's not easy to find it again if you don't make a mental note.

Anyway, I was tired after work, didn't feel like searching so I took a bus for 3 euro. I'll need to take another bus tomorrow (another 3 euro) to search for my bike.

Meh, I'd probably spend 6 euro to not have to wade through that sea of bikes when I was already tired... Now if it looked like your average bike rack here where I live, then it would definitely be facepunch-worthy. Here it would be unusual to see a rack with 20 bikes.

I think this should be posted in the Mustachian People Problems. "I lost my bike at the train station because there were 600 other ones."

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: February 26, 2016, 06:43:41 AM »
I'm not sure if this is facepunch-worthy, but I finally moved my roommate out.  Her lease ended in 2014, and she's hung around even after I got married and he moved in, but she's moving out this weekend.  This is great for our tiny Manhattan apartment life, but there goes 1K/monthly.

That will definitely affect my savings rate for 2016.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #336 on: February 26, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
Bought a latte at Starbucks today.  Because this week has been long and I wanted caffeine and sugar. :/

chetmanly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #337 on: February 26, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
I think I may have everyone here beat. I'm new to this and last night I got home and I was exhausted, I didn't want to cook and the leftovers we had sounded about as appealing as a full body massage from a sheet. I told my wife I'm going to the restaurant that was a block and a half away, I agonized for a moment over walking or driving and I decided I was driving over.

The second I stepped outside I thought, "Hey, it's a pleasant night, I'll walk."

So I walked for ten minutes, got to the restaurant and thought "Huh, I was totally willing to walk over, but not reheat an unappealing casserole?"

$23.00 and ten minutes later I am back home with my non-casserole feast.

The human mind is weird.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #338 on: February 26, 2016, 02:22:10 PM »

Meh, I'd probably spend 6 euro to not have to wade through that sea of bikes when I was already tired... Now if it looked like your average bike rack here where I live, then it would definitely be facepunch-worthy. Here it would be unusual to see a rack with 20 bikes.

I think this should be posted in the Mustachian People Problems. "I lost my bike at the train station because there were 600 other ones."

Because I'm a giant fail, I lost my bike again today. I parked it in the big bike parking 'garage' on the other side of the station. It took me almost fifteen minutes, because my brain thankfully kicked in then. I just looked up how big this parking place is... 4200 spaces across 3 floors. Note to self: remember floor + row number...

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #339 on: February 26, 2016, 02:33:53 PM »
Because I'm a giant fail, I lost my bike again today. I parked it in the big bike parking 'garage' on the other side of the station. It took me almost fifteen minutes, because my brain thankfully kicked in then. I just looked up how big this parking place is... 4200 spaces across 3 floors. Note to self: remember floor + row number...

For stuff like that I send myself a text, then if I don't remember it later I have it in my text message history.

Otherwise you could get a big fluorescent pink flag attached to your bike that will make it easy to spot from across the garage. ;-)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: February 26, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »

I wonder if your situation would be a good use case scenario for a RF locator product like Tile that could give you an audible alarm to help you search. (I have no firsthand experience but it sounds useful.) Otherwise, I'm a fan of using my phone to text or email myself a location reminder when I park my car in a large garage or lot.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #341 on: February 26, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »

I wonder if your situation would be a good use case scenario for a RF locator product like Tile that could give you an audible alarm to help you search. (I have no firsthand experience but it sounds useful.) Otherwise, I'm a fan of using my phone to text or email myself a location reminder when I park my car in a large garage or lot.

I use my phone to snap a photo of my car in relation to level and row markings. Usually I only need to this at the airport when I am parking for several days in their HUGE ramp, but it's very effective.

awesomeprime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #342 on: March 02, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »
So, to get it all off of my chest, here is the series of pitfalls that I followed before discovering this lovely site.
1) Upon graduation, immediately wracked up 6k in credit card debt on stupid crap that I wanted and did not need.
2) Moved, forgot to change addresses, completely ignored the fact that I knew there was 6k in debt.
3) Wracked up another 5k on stuff for the new place
4) All 11k went to collections (paid in full, because I created the problem, but seriously, my early 20s was a mess)
5) Boy meets girl, they date, he buys stupidly expensive engagement ring (0% finance, but still, financed)
6) Boy marries girl, buys stupidly expensive band to add to engagement ring (0% finance, but still, financed)
7) Boy and girl have baby, girl totals car week before delivery, boy buys (almost) new SUV for girl (financed at 3%)
7a) Boy is still paying for his tiny car that gets great gas mileage, but that he bought during the horrible 11k collections fiasco, at 15% interest.
8) Boy buys girl beautiful (and stupidly expensive) matching necklace and earrings for first anniversary (14% interest)
9) Boy totals car that he had finally finished paying off, buys new (compact) SUV, (0% financing though)
10) Girl asks boy for house, boy buys house (WITH PMI) with pool as well as front and back yard grass, IN A FREAKING DESERT, because girl liked it.
11) During all of this, boy and girl wrack up about 25k in credit card debt due to traveling and consumer habits.
12) Because completing one master's degree completely on student loans was not enough him, boy convinces girl to join him in another master's program, completely on student loans, which they might not even be compensated fully for because of a contract restructure after the program was already in progress.

All of this when Boy and Girl are teachers. Public school teachers.
Don't mind me, I will be that faceless chap a couple of miles back picking up the bits of his face that are left over from the punching.

(In happier news, since discovering this site, I have knocked out 15k of that credit card debt, with the other 10 on pace to be removed this year, our credit rating is through the roof right now, so when I get another 10k on the mortgage knocked out, refi with sofi should be easy (hoping rates stay low), we have solar on the roof, self-rigged water reclamation from the sinks to help off-set watering, and have FINALLY stopped buying crap because we want it. Baby steps.)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »
Awesomeprime, you are making me feel a lot better about the $550 in medical bills I have to pay because I screwed up something with my health insurance. :-)

awesomeprime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #344 on: March 02, 2016, 12:49:37 PM »
Awesomeprime, you are making me feel a lot better about the $550 in medical bills I have to pay because I screwed up something with my health insurance. :-)

That's enough justification for me! Back to my crazy lifestyle, as it is performing community service! WOO HOO! Third car here I come!

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #345 on: March 10, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »
Last night, my husband came upstairs and announced to me that my car wouldn't start. It's 13 years old, less than 100k miles on it, but has needed some major repairs in the past two years. We carpool to work most days, so it's not even a daily driver. The reason it didn't start right away was because it had been sitting for a week and a half without being started, let alone driven!

My rational brain is telling me to ride this car out until it no longer works and replace it with a used car with good gas mileage. My emotional brain is telling me to dump it and buy a brand-new (new new, not 'new-to-me' new), shiny crossover. Sigh.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #346 on: March 10, 2016, 10:16:45 AM »
After months of deliberation and agonizing, I broke down and bought a $1400 monitor with calibration device for my photography hobby. The final purchasing decision went something like..."screw this, I will just get the best..." Not the most rational way to spend ones money.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #347 on: March 10, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
I spent ~$200 on car parts to make one of my cars safer this week. (hood latch and wheel bearings). That in itself wouldn't be too bad if half of the total cost wasn't the overnight shipping I payed for so that I could have the parts in time to install them before driving to a car meet 65 miles away on Saturday evening.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #348 on: March 12, 2016, 10:42:08 AM »
I bought a bar cart. A fucking bar cart like some pretentious rich jerk.
$375 at the local vintage shop down the drain. It is beautiful, italian made with beautiful inlays...but $375, just damn.
Did I mention my husband doesn't drink and I do but only on occasion and we dont really have many people over so yeah.
I keep trying to figure out if I should list it on craigslist or resell at a ritzier vintage shop downtown.
Ugg.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #349 on: March 12, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
I bought a bar cart. A fucking bar cart like some pretentious rich jerk.
$375 at the local vintage shop down the drain. It is beautiful, italian made with beautiful inlays...but $375, just damn.
Did I mention my husband doesn't drink and I do but only on occasion and we dont really have many people over so yeah.
I keep trying to figure out if I should list it on craigslist or resell at a ritzier vintage shop downtown.
Ugg.

I also bought a bar cart/drinks trolley in a charity shop just before Christmas, intending to recover the old fashioned shelves for NYE with vinyl or something. I didn't it get around to recovering it for NYE so it's sitting in the hall in the way at the moment, getting in my way. Trying to decide whether to do it now and dind it a place, or just take it back and donate it.
At least it was only £7.99!