Author Topic: FacePunch Me  (Read 321337 times)

Hall11235

• Stubble
Re: FacePunch Me
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2015, 01:56:19 PM »
Those are some impressively thick socks!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2015, 08:18:01 AM »
I just paid $23.99 with shipping for a new t-shirt. This used to be a monthly (or worse) habit with me, but it's been a long, long time - I can't even remember.

https://teechip.com/journalismtee

I rationalized it via my PayPal balance (from some past return I don't even remember) covering the majority of it.  But really, I'm still a dumbass. I could have withdrawn that cash instead of sending more.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2015, 09:12:47 AM »
I ate half of a candy bar for breakfast. 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2015, 11:18:49 AM »

I find it very Mustachian :)

Wilson Hall

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
This thread is Krieger Jazz Hands level awesome.

YES!

Recently made a trip to see a friend by using frequent flyer miles, but paid $96 to upgrade to economy plus.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2015, 01:21:26 PM »

Haha!  I love the comic. 

I had the candy because it has been a rough work week.  I usually eat breakfast (and lunch) at my desk, and I didn't feel like eating the healthy breakfast I packed.  Instead I had a fabulous breakfast of half a Trader Joe's dark chocolate bar (bought a 3 pack a few weeks ago) and Earl Grey tea.  No need for a fancy car.  Candy makes me happy!

I was REALLY hungry at 11 though.  Unfortunately I was in the middle of something and couldn't eat.  I just ate lunch, and I'm feeling much better. 

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »
I'm driving the three hours to my hometown a day early because I'm running a race (which I paid $40 for) and want to catch up with friends and let him sleep in the following day at home.  Also, he's just been away from work a lot this summer so that's an issue.  This will require my husband to make the same trip a day later.  So - two cars.  I probably could have just told him to stay home, but I selfishly want him to be there.

On the upside, we're staying at a friend's house for free.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2015, 03:08:51 PM »
I went to McDonalds for lunch. I've been too lazy to cook food and with my office being empty, I didn't want to go anywhere that would take longer for me to grab my food.

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2015, 05:14:44 PM »
Quote from: Kitsunegari on Today at 11:18:49 AM

Quote from: 4alpacas on Today at 09:12:47 AM

Haha!  I love the comic.

I had the candy because it has been a rough work week.  I usually eat breakfast (and lunch) at my desk, and I didn't feel like eating the healthy breakfast I packed.  Instead I had a fabulous breakfast of half a Trader Joe's dark chocolate bar (bought a 3 pack a few weeks ago) and Earl Grey tea.  No need for a fancy car.  Candy makes me happy!

I was REALLY hungry at 11 though.  Unfortunately I was in the middle of something and couldn't eat.  I just ate lunch, and I'm feeling much better. 

Facepunch! If you had drunk a whole glass of water while you ate, then you could have only eaten one quarter of that candy bar, and it would have been just as filling.

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2015, 09:26:03 AM »
I left my lunch at home today and have to go out to buy something so I won't starve.  First time in about 3 weeks.  I'm pretty upset about it.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
I've been doing really well the last couple of months (a definite improvement since I started reading MMM).

Then came July...

One trip out of town: paid for with earmarked vacation savings, no prob. Several restaurant meals while out of town: Not budgeted for. Post-wedding bar crawl: not budgeted for.

One staycation, with houseguests visiting from Europe: Not budgeted for. HARD to budget for. Turned out one friend had an aversion to subways (therefore taxi $$) and two of the friends wanted to drink a lot of beer (therefore drinks $$$ even though I generally drank 1/3 of what they did) and everyone - including me - wanted to eat out two meals a day. Plus concerts, plus museums, plus etc. etc.

Result: I managed to stay within most of my budgets in spite of things, and my friends were kind enough to treat for some stuff because I was letting them stay with me for free and I helped them out with a lot of planning and recommendations. But. My food budget (includes alcohol and restaurants). $735 and counting for July :-(  For ONE person! Aaaaa! To make it worse, I keep having to fight the urge to throw in the towel and say "oh fuck it, I've blown the budget, might as well make the most of it" and keep eating out... (Note to self: just because your budget is monthly doesn't mean money works like that.)  I did that on Saturday and had three glasses of $10-a-pop wine at a bar. Ack.

And I just realized I am going somewhere tonight with a 2-drink minimum. Crap.

On the plus side, I think I'll end up with $450-$500 in savings this month so I'm not anywhere close to spending above my means... just... not as much savings as I oughtta. I started doing a little work on mturk in the hopes of getting a little boost to get back on track.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:57:05 PM by Vee »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2015, 03:40:51 PM »
I spent $30 on balloons. 

yup.

I budget $800 a month.  I spent $30 on balloons.

I've been mentoring this girl for a while.  She's 19.  At community college.  Sweet and bright and so full of potential.  Her family and life is a complete cluster fuck.  Then she got pregnant.  The baby daddy isn't great... but he's ok.  They got married.  On a weekday.  She'd planned to have the wedding at the park, but it was storming, so switched to the community center.  I went early to help decorate.  She had made and gathered charming decor.  Jelly jars with candles and paper mache thingies for center pieces.  Eight months pregnant. She made all of the food.  Baked her own cake.  She had planned to use the landscape at the park for the focal point of the ceremony, but it was stuck inside a dingy community center.  So I went to the grocery and bought $30 flipping dollars worth of balloons.  Scrounged some props from around the center and made "something pretty" for them to stand next to.  Then I spent another $30 on meat and cheese that I cubed up and added to her potluck style feast.

Were it not for the awfulness of her family and situation the wedding was completely badass and perfectly beautiful in it's simplicity.

$30 futile dollars.  Disposable helium balloons that will exist forever in a landfill.

I keep telling myself that if she maintains the tenacity and motivation she showed in making her entire wedding (and we continue to support her) then she has a chance of breaking her families cycle of poverty and addiction. 

On the bright side I did make the baby gift and wedding gift and cards completely out of things I had and they are things that are fun and pretty and  will actually be useful to her.

I don't regret spending the money on her.  I offered.  She didn't ask.  It just sounds so ridiculous. $30 spent on balloons.  hah!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »
To make it worse, I keep having to fight the urge to throw in the towel and say "oh fuck it, I've blown the budget, might as well make the most of it" and keep eating out... (Note to self: just because your budget is monthly doesn't mean money works like that.)  I did that on Saturday and had three glasses of $10-a-pop wine at a bar. Ack.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Had an attack of stomach pain (ulcer), put the spicy groundnut stew I'd packed into the offce freezer, and paid for grits and turkey bacon at IHOP. I had oatmeal in the office, but husband was with me helping me with a project and wouldn't like oatmeal for lunch.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2015, 08:06:14 PM »
Yesterday I had lunch out with a friend ($7) which was planned and okay by me because it was delicious sushi, but then splurged on a bakery item ($3.80) which was both unplanned and very bad for the old waistline, just because she suggested popping into the bakery for dessert.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2015, 11:30:12 AM »
Finally decided to buy a lunette (yay!) which will save me money long-term, but I bought it at the first reasonable price I found and have since found it for a full TWO DOLLARS cheaper. That's a whole 3.3% of the purchase price, which will really affect my ROI.

Meh, you'll still save a fortune! I'm so glad I saw a sticker for a Mooncup in the bathroom at uni 9 years ago - my first one cost me £18 and lasted 8 years, I reckon the 'normal' disposable options I was using previously would have cost £5 x 12 x 8 = £480.

My face punch worthy fail today: buying not 1 but 2 brownies at work today. When I'm on a diet. My guilt was slightly assuaged by it being for charity, and because they were so damn tasty!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »
Getting a haircut today: likely to be >$50.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2015, 05:12:38 PM »
Today was a close one in FacePunch world.

Wash machine is acting up.  Fixing it is not something we personally want to tackle.  Repairman showed me numerous items (on top of the issues I already knew) that were broken or ready to break.  So of course I start looking at new wash machines online.  Holy Crap!!!  Those things don't wash clothes anymore - they have settings that give the clothes steam facials and stress-reducing massages - with the corresponding spa prices to match.  Went to the library for consumer report info and got more sticker shock.  Talked to friends/family and heard all the stories about much they love their new wash machines.  Nearly bought one. 

Fortunately there was a moment of clarity (during plum jam making) and decided that all I needed was a basic washing machine - you know, something that cleans clothes and removes the water prior to drying.  Used the "Less than $500" search setting at Big Box Store and voila!  There was my $330 answer.   

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »
Post to follow and ridicule myself when the next stupid expense will occur

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2015, 06:12:31 PM »
I forgot my lunch (again) and instead of just eating more FREE snacks at work, I went and got a $5 burger across the street. And then after work I bought a $3.00 comic book.

In other news..

Finally decided to buy a lunette (yay!) which will save me money long-term, but I bought it at the first reasonable price I found and have since found it for a full TWO DOLLARS cheaper. That's a whole 3.3% of the purchase price, which will really affect my ROI.

Meh, you'll still save a fortune! I'm so glad I saw a sticker for a Mooncup in the bathroom at uni 9 years ago - my first one cost me £18 and lasted 8 years, I reckon the 'normal' disposable options I was using previously would have cost £5 x 12 x 8 = £480.

My face punch worthy fail today: buying not 1 but 2 brownies at work today. When I'm on a diet. My guilt was slightly assuaged by it being for charity, and because they were so damn tasty!

I bought one of these (The Keeper) because it would save me cash and it is biodegradable.

And then it hurt too much cuz of the dumb stem poking AND STABBING. *RAGE* Also fail.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »
I forgot my lunch (again) and instead of just eating more FREE snacks at work, I went and got a $5 burger across the street. And then after work I bought a $3.00 comic book.

In other news..

I bought one of these (The Keeper) because it would save me cash and it is biodegradable.

And then it hurt too much cuz of the dumb stem poking AND STABBING. *RAGE* Also fail.

You can cut off the stems and still use them =)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2015, 07:16:43 PM »
Meowkins, the stems can and should be cut off if they poke you.

I had to pick up a prescription that needs to be injected and I have to "fail" a pregnancy test before being injected.  So this means a trip to the doctor for a test and a jab.  Made appointment.  Went to pharmacy.  Prescription wasn't ready.  This despite the phone call I received telling me that my prescription was ready.  WTF!  Turns out my prescription is in 2 parts, and one part was ready.  I knew this, but just didn't think about it.

Oh, and did I mention that this whole thing is 25 miles away?  Because my doctor is in the town I used to work in. 

So today I drove 25 miles to buy shampoo.  Face punch deserved.

Valencia de Valera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2015, 07:47:29 PM »
DH and I went out to a Mexican restaurant with my family. I wasn't feeling that hungry so I just got rice and beans. I paid $4.50 for something that would have cost literally $0.20 at home. Also we drove the half mile to the restaurant because hubs thought 92 was too hot to walk. Also I drove to work today because it was raining when I got up this morning. Not raining when I left for work, not raining when I came home. I tried to justify it by airing up my tires with free air at the gas station, and I found a Canadian penny on the ground while doing so, so that makes it a little better, right?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2015, 04:27:47 AM »
BOUGHT a book...face punch self-administered.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2015, 06:55:32 AM »
Oh, and did I mention that this whole thing is 25 miles away?  Because my doctor is in the town I used to work in. 

25 miles each way, right?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2015, 07:36:06 AM »

25 miles each way, right?
Sigh, yes.  It wasn't my best day ever.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2015, 07:40:20 AM »

Yep, as per the other responses, you're supposed to re the stem to where it's comfortable for you after trying them on. Hopefully you didn't throw it out and we might have saved you some money?

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2015, 08:54:28 AM »
I spent the day fighting myself as I did some serious cleaning in the kitchen. (I didn't want to do the work.) Put off buying groceries until late afternoon, because I didn't want to bring anything else into the kitchen and then have to put it away. When I did buy groceries, I planned to spend $50, but actually spent $80.

Part if it was that I had a Budget Bytes recipes, where the ingredients turned out to be really expensive. (A different kind of budget bite.) I also threw a book in the basket which was from the $10 shelf, though I usually buy from the $5 shelf. And a nice chocolate bar. But also just generally overspent.

In the evening, I went out to buy a bottle of wine, but the store was closed an hour earlier than I thought. I then had the impulse to go play the VLTs at the local hotel. Won $540 more than I spent, and left. So this had a happy ending, but really, what was I doing there?

Today, I've woken up calm and collected, so I guess I got it out of my system. I'll finish the work in the kitchen today, and am looking forward to the Budget Bytes meal for dinner.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2015, 09:27:11 AM »

Yep, as per the other responses, you're supposed to re the stem to where it's comfortable for you after trying them on. Hopefully you didn't throw it out and we might have saved you some money?

Yes! Thanks ladies. I will give it another shot next month.

Are there posts about inexpensive birth control and menstrual sanitation? because IUDs + cups seem to be the best for the wallet and the environment.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »

Are there posts about inexpensive birth control and menstrual sanitation? because IUDs + cups seem to be the best for the wallet and the environment.

There was a whole thread on frugality for women-specific concerns- body care products, hair removal, birth control, menstrual 'gear', everything. I think there was even discussion about best options for bras. I wish I remember what it was called, it was an epic (and helpful) thread. 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2015, 08:03:52 AM »
Lately I had a totally unusual urge to upgrade some stuff around my house. Stuff like dinnerware, sheets, blankets, stuff I already own functional specimen of, but I found them dingy.
Today I plan to replace the Dinera plates I found on the street 5 years ago with not 1, but 2 porcellain dinner sets (so I have enough identical assiettes for a dinner of 8).
Do I need it? Not really, I could continue with the chipped, scratched stuff.
Do I want them? Oh hell yes.

Next week: new sheets!

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »
I'm paying $16k to have my roof and gutters replaced.  The roof is leaking slowly around the skylight, and is ten years old and was never really installed properly.  The roof is now dipped below it from damage to the deckboards.  Looked into just getting the flashing replaced, but every inspection says that with such a large area of shingles I might as well do at least that half of the roof.  And I don't want half of a new roof, and half a poorly-installed old one.  The gutters are hung too low and coming off the house in places - I've avoided changing them for years.  The wood fascia behind them is rotted and holed by bugs in many places.  I'm having all of the fascia replaced and wrapped in aluminum.

I'm not doing any of the work myself - WAY outside of my comfort zone.  It's a good company with a long history in my town, and I got three estimates and their quote is fair.  But man, it's a lot of money.  Going to set back my pay-off of the mortgage by a year.  Part of me says I should just put a towel under the skylight and wait another year or two.

Or, you know - rent.  :(

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »
Sigh, yes.  It wasn't my best day ever.
LOL... we're not here to judge, only to facepunch.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »
A friend of mine calls this kind of expense a "semi-surprise." Even though you know its coming, it is a shock to hear how much money it is going to cost. I just had the shingles on my house replaced two or three months ago., so I know how it feels. It looks great, though, and there isn't any water coming in the living room ceiling anymore during heavy rainstorms. Towels are just not adequate maintenance for a major asset.

I am no sure it is face-punchworthy, though. Just big and unpleasant.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
A box of brownie mix costs $1.25.
A box of mix ! - you didn't grow your own brownies in your own garden ?

Brownies are actually pretty tricky. Soil pH plays a huge role in the final texture, so if you live in a "fudgey soil" area but like cakey brownies, it's really hard to get the brownies to finish properly. And forget growing brownies in a pot - I think we all know the problem with pot brownies. Honestly, I recommend people start just with donuts. They are SUPER easy to grow, and you can find good seeds almost anywhere.

The trouble is, what if you can only find Dunkin' Donuts seeds, and your spouse only wants Krispy Kremes?  It's bad enough fighting over which hybrid of corn or tomatoes we grow, without fighting over doughnut varieties, zeesh.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2015, 10:08:52 AM »
I'm paying $16k to have my roof and gutters replaced.  The roof is leaking slowly around the skylight, and is ten years old and was never really installed properly.  The roof is now dipped below it from damage to the deckboards.  Looked into just getting the flashing replaced, but every inspection says that with such a large area of shingles I might as well do at least that half of the roof.  And I don't want half of a new roof, and half a poorly-installed old one.  The gutters are hung too low and coming off the house in places - I've avoided changing them for years.  The wood fascia behind them is rotted and holed by bugs in many places.  I'm having all of the fascia replaced and wrapped in aluminum.

I'm not doing any of the work myself - WAY outside of my comfort zone.  It's a good company with a long history in my town, and I got three estimates and their quote is fair.  But man, it's a lot of money.  Going to set back my pay-off of the mortgage by a year.  Part of me says I should just put a towel under the skylight and wait another year or two.

Or, you know - rent.  :(

I agree with choppingwood, it's expensive and unpleasant, but doesn't really merit a face-punch.

As a landlord who replaced, in the last four years, a garbage disposal, a fridge, a stove, the A/C, a boiler, and a hot water tank, I feel your pain.

But we just raised the rent another $200 a month without a peep of complaint from our tenants.  Had they complained, I would have reminded them, who are Tea-Party right-wingers who worship at the altar of the free market, that it's the price the market will bear.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »
I agree with choppingwood, it's expensive and unpleasant, but doesn't really merit a face-punch.

As a landlord who replaced, in the last four years, a garbage disposal, a fridge, a stove, the A/C, a boiler, and a hot water tank, I feel your pain.
The price is high, though. How big is this house?

I just put a new roof on a 1600sf rental for $7500... granted, that was the friend price in a LCOL area, but that's still a huge disparity.

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2015, 11:50:46 AM »
Did you take bids? I got 2k off the price of my new roof by having three companies come out to give an estimate. I let them know I was talking to others. Low bid isn't always best, but some research on my part into materials and methods paid off for me.

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2015, 12:48:24 PM »
Got three bids from recommended roofers - all the same.  Roof itself is $11k.  I have only 1300sf but cathedral ceilings makes for more area, and there are two new skylights and three gables included.  When I had it done 10 years ago I paid $5.5k to a brother of a coworker.  He took six months to get around to it, then moved to Florida and opened a bar.  Had lots of leaks that first winter and probably paid $2k more to get it fixed just to this point.  Figured this time I'd go with someone with a warranty and lots more positive references.

Gutters are the remaining $5k, but half of that is aluminum wrapping for all the fascia.  Those additional gables are included in that.  I debated skipping that part, but eventually decided I've been through enough problems with leaks on this thing that I just want to reduce future maintenance as much as possible.

$1k of the gutters is the leafguard.  I have about ten feet of run that is so high my ladder won't reach - and I have a thing about heights and getting on the roof, so I just don't clean those.  Once I decided to get the leafguard there, it seemed easiest to just get the whole thing.  This is where spending gets out of control - when you start going "Well considering how much I'm ALREADY spending, what the heck?" 

I am looking forward to having it done.  Then I can see about repairing the water damage inside.

I appreciate the feedback, btw.  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:51:20 PM by Fuzzy Buttons »

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2015, 01:11:34 PM »
Sounds like due diligence was done. I agree no facepunch on this one.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »
Yeah, this is beginning to sound borderline reasonable. xD

trombonedadio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2015, 02:30:24 PM »
I spent $6 on ice. How stupid is that?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2015, 02:30:42 PM »
You are now perma-b&

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
You are now perma-b&
Unless they keep it for years so that the cost/year is low

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »
Went out to lunch with coworkers, and even though I told myself on the walk over that I would just get a burger, I caved at the last minute and got a soda too. #theworst

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »

There was a whole thread on frugality for women-specific concerns- body care products, hair removal, birth control, menstrual 'gear', everything. I think there was even discussion about best options for bras. I wish I remember what it was called, it was an epic (and helpful) thread.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/lady-staches/msg963/#msg963
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:23:08 PM by Basenji »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2015, 01:25:37 PM »

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/lady-staches/msg963/#msg963

Yess! This one.

And it's funny, Basenji, I just clicked over from a thread where you were "too lazy" to find a blog post so someone found it for you. Looks like we're all just paying the lazy forward! =)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »
I had a goal to spend $0 on food this month. I have a weekly CSA for fresh veggies that I already paid for, plus a garden that's producing, a little bit of venison in the freezer, lots of food in the cupboards, and after a reunion early in the month my mom sent me home with sooooo much leftover food, much of which was still unopened. So far the biggest problem is eating the veggies fast enough.

But I had to go buy a $4 ice cream cone to ruin any chance of achieving my goal.